Old 11-18-2017, 09:24 AM   #1
Era
Human being with feelings

Default Why Are Reaper's Files in Two Locations?

I'm confused why some Reaper (config, ini, and such) files are stored in appdata/roaming/reaper and other Reaper files are stored in the program files/reaper path? Thank you.
Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 09:46 AM   #2
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Era View Post
I'm confused why some Reaper (config, ini, and such) files are stored in appdata/roaming/reaper and other Reaper files are stored in the program files/reaper path? Thank you.
Is it not simply that the files in appdata/roaming/reaper are special to each user, while the ones in Program Files/Reaper are global for all users?

If this creates a problem for you, say you want to easily copy all of Reaper's files without hunting around on the HD, just use the portable install. I have used that for several years now and it really works great and you get everything in a single place.
Old 11-18-2017, 10:49 AM   #3
ivansc

Interesting thought. Have you also looked at where the Windows related files are kept on your computer? (assuming you are not on a Mac)
Old 11-18-2017, 11:16 AM   #4
Era

Default I think that Makes Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
Is it not simply that the files in appdata/roaming/reaper are special to each user, while the ones in Program Files/Reaper are global for all users?

If this creates a problem for you, say you want to easily copy all of Reaper's files without hunting around on the HD, just use the portable install. I have used that for several years now and it really works great and you get everything in a single place.
I guess that's the reason, but Reaper is so well-organized and, when possible, simplified--I would think that they would just make all installations the same ("portable") even when on your desktop. There must be some reason why there are two approaches to installation...
Old 11-18-2017, 11:18 AM   #5
Era

Default Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Interesting thought. Have you also looked at where the Windows related files are kept on your computer? (assuming you are not on a Mac)
I'm on Windows and I think that the Roaming folder is used for some data, and the Program Files or Program Files (x86) used for other data. I guess there's a purpose for this, but IDK.
Old 11-18-2017, 01:17 PM   #6
solger

Seems like Fabian's guess is correct (storing different application data for different user accounts)
https://www.howtogeek.com/318177/wha...er-in-windows/

In general, it probably also varies or depends on the application and/or software company where files are getting installed to under Windows. Some are putting certain application data files into location A, others into location B, and so on ...

Basically a similar 'issue' as with certain plugin installers (which have fixed install locations) from different companies, so you are ending up with having multiple plugin folders in different locations

Last edited by solger; 11-18-2017 at 02:08 PM. Reason: rephrasing
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 09:14 PM   #7
hopi

AFAIK, in the old days, reaper used to install on windows much like it does now for a portable install... then with Windows 7 things changed and I believe it was M$ that required reaper and other apps to do their installs in the Micro Sauce manner....

I much prefer reapers portable install but do keep a normal install on C drive as well... but the one I use daily is the portable on D drive....

the portable does not give rearoute, nor rewire but I don't need those often... if at all...
Old 11-19-2017, 03:17 AM   #8
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Era View Post
I guess there's a purpose for this, but IDK.
You and me both. Like the others have said, far too often these days if a dev does something weird it is usually because Microsoft prod them in that direction, not from choice.
Some things never change, do they?
Old 11-19-2017, 03:24 AM   #9
karbomusic

Users can't nor should write to program files, it's a protected folder, so writeable copies of settings files etc go to AppData. That simple and for good reason as far as security goes. In some cases where apps don't follow "security protocol" Windows will silently write to the AppData folder, again for security reasons. If you want deeper details...

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...direction.pptx