Old 05-25-2013, 07:12 PM   #1
James HE
Human being with feelings

Default %^&%*%*^$%$#%& MOTU

So, I made the mistake of attempting to update my driver for my 828 MKii.

They have a universal updater now. I just happened to be on the web site and saw it. Curious, downloaded and installed...

FAIL.

no biggie, except I can't find the driver I was using anywhere on my hard drives.

MOTU customer support is pretty good actually, but that have this ridiculous policy of not making old driver versions available for download on their website. -or to have any documentation whatsoever about 'legacy' hardware like my MKii.

Ended up rolling back to a very old driver. This is, actually a good thing, as it had the CueMix interface I prefer, however....

the order of the outputs is different..

FFS! this means I'm going to have to change the hardware out assignment of every project with a headphone out - AND I'll have to change every single instance of reInsert in my track templates!

feeling about stupid right now.
James HE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:17 PM   #2
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by James HE View Post
So, I made the mistake of attempting to update my driver for my 828 MKii.

They have a universal updater now. I just happened to be on the web site and saw it. Curious, downloaded and installed...

FAIL.

no biggie, except I can't find the driver I was using anywhere on my hard drives.

MOTU customer support is pretty good actually, but that have this ridiculous policy of not making old driver versions available for download on their website. -or to have any documentation whatsoever about 'legacy' hardware like my MKii.

Ended up rolling back to a very old driver. This is, actually a good thing, as it had the CueMix interface I prefer, however....

the order of the outputs is different..

FFS! this means I'm going to have to change the hardware out assignment of every project with a headphone out - AND I'll have to change every single instance of reInsert in my track templates!

feeling about stupid right now.
Ouch. I had a similar situation a few years ago, and will pass to you what I learned from that (and what has saved my butt a few times now):
SAVE INSTALLERS!!!

Good luck. Maybe someone here has an installer for the version of driver that you want.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:34 PM   #3
James HE

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie43 View Post
SAVE INSTALLERS!!!
I know, right!!! I thought I had it. Just a few months ago I made a huge folder and directory organization... I guess I just missed it on this machine. I'm sure I have it on my laptop, by that machine will not boot... no time to mess with it right now.

An old driver on an ancient thumbdrive saving me here... (but with some headaches)

...plus I found some impulses I'd been looking for all's good.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:37 PM   #4
medicine tactic

Oh man, I feel your pain. I absolutely don't mean this in any but a raw informational way, because I've been there before, but this is why I buy RME interfaces. This kind of stuff just doesn't happen. And even if it did, their driver archive is readily available. They understand that drivers and firmware are at least 50% of the interface equation, not an afterthought. To me, it's worth every penny for my driver woes to be over.
medicine tactic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:09 PM   #5
heda

I tried once a MOTU... because I thought it was going to be better than my fireface... I was wrong. I had to return it... so bad.... I had to buy back the RME.
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:33 PM   #6
FKAB

I'm not defending anyone, just to mention that it worked fine for my Mk3 last week. Does the Mk2 do that push button thing on the Pager knob to update?

Haven't you got your installation disk?

Last edited by FKAB; 05-25-2013 at 09:38 PM.
FKAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:50 PM   #7
James HE

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKAB View Post
I'm not defending anyone, just to mention that it worked fine for my Mk3 last week. Does the Mk2 do that push button thing on the Pager knob to update?
I don't think they do.

Besides, the LCD has been busted on my MKII for about 5 years. still works like a champ anyways. I never got it fixed cause I could never understand that little screen to begin with.

There was a big change when the MK3 was introduced and the internal DSP was added. This is when the order of the hardware outs was shifted.

Working with the old driver from years ago now, and I have to say, I'm glad this happened actually. The old Cuemix interface has a smaller footprint, I don't have the dsp in my hardware, plus the old driver offers more buffer settings.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:00 PM   #8
FKAB

Quote:
I don't think they do.

Besides, the LCD has been busted on my MKII for about 5 years. still works like a champ anyways. I never got it fixed cause I could never understand that little screen to begin with.

There was a big change when the MK3 was introduced and the internal DSP was added. This is when the order of the hardware outs was shifted.

Working with the old driver from years ago now, and I have to say, I'm glad this happened actually. The old Cuemix interface has a smaller footprint, I don't have the dsp in my hardware, plus the old driver offers more buffer settings.
Is this what you dl'ed? http://www.motu.com/download

These are firmware updates...and the Mk2 isn't on the list!
FKAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:12 PM   #9
Susan G

Quote:
Hi James-

I can relate to this. I was using an even older MOTU (the original Ultralite) until recently, and the very first driver upgrade eliminated the lowest buffer setting altogether. I reverted to the original driver, which had always worked fine. They really should make "legacy" driver versions available on their site, IMO.

-Susan
Susan G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:15 PM   #10
chucky5p

Quote:
...no biggie, except I can't find the driver I was using anywhere on my hard drives...
James, you should've known better, "If ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Joke aside, have you thought about using your windows system restore to a point in time where you had the good driver? (if you're on a PC) or don’t you have a full drive backup so you could restore to that same point. BTW, even if your last backup is old enough that you wouldn’t want to permanently go back that far (because you have changed too many thing on your PC since), simply backup your PC now (before any restoring), then restore to the backup with the good driver, notice the driver version number and with that you should be able to find the installer somewhere on the internet. Then restore back to your current setup and reinstall with you new "old" driver. If all that fails, you could try asking in the MOTU forum if someone has the installer.

Good luck!

Chuck
chucky5p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:19 AM   #11
Banned

Thanks for the heads up.

I still need to install drivers for a 828 Mk I on a MBP system (to be used with Silent Way for CV I/O, probably)... I guess I'll have to look for some ancient drivers to achieve the lowest buffer settings, but those older drivers will obviously not be 64 bit.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:11 PM   #12
serr

I just went to MOTU's site to copy and paste the link for their older installers and drivers... and I can't find it! Did they really stop making older software available?!
I'd email their tech support and report this as a problem with their site.

Not to rub it in but, always make sure to clone your system before trying ANY new updates. That way if something goes wrong it only takes 3 minutes for a 100% perfect restore. I use Carbon Copy Cloner. And yes, save your installers! Sometimes official apps from the big official company can disappear just as fast as open source stuff.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:19 PM   #13
Susan G

If anyone's interested (or desperate) I have .zip files of the 2011 and 2012 MOTU Audio Installers and the 3.6.8.1414 version from 2009.

Let me know and I'll post them somewhere (if I can find a free hosting site; they're pretty big.*)

-Susan

* Edit: I take that back; they're not all that big so let me know.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:01 PM   #14
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan G View Post
If anyone's interested (or desperate) I have .zip files of the 2011 and 2012 MOTU Audio Installers and the 3.6.8.1414 version from 2009.

Let me know and I'll post them somewhere (if I can find a free hosting site; they're pretty big.*)

-Susan

* Edit: I take that back; they're not all that big so let me know.
Perhaps consider getting a free account with something like Dropbox anyway. Very useful for sharing, syncing, backing up as well. For example, most of my REAPER stuff (themes, effects, etc.) is inside a Dropbox folder so I don't have to reinstall / maintain the same stuff on multiple systems.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:04 PM   #15
Susan G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
Perhaps consider getting a free account with something like Dropbox anyway. Very useful for sharing, syncing, backing up as well. For example, most of my REAPER stuff (themes, effects, etc.) is inside a Dropbox folder so I don't have to reinstall / maintain the same stuff on multiple systems.
Hi Banned-

Yes, I have a Dropbox account and find it useful as well. I misread the size of the MOTU .zip files when I first posted, hence the edit !

Thanks-

-Susan
Old 05-26-2013, 01:22 PM   #16
serr

FYI: cx.com has free 10GB cloud accounts. Dropbox is already quite obsolete.

Last edited by serr; 05-26-2013 at 01:42 PM.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:26 PM   #17
Susan G

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
FYI: cx.com has free 10GB cloud accounts.
Good to know, thanks. I was looking for a free site for a one-off a while ago and the ones that used to be free were no longer for larger files, at least.

-Susan
Old 05-26-2013, 01:50 PM   #18
Banned

Quote:
FYI: cx.com has free 10GB cloud accounts. Dropbox is already quite obsolete.
Yeah, it's just one of many alternatives. Thanks for mentioning that one, hadn't heard of it. I guess one can't have enough free online storage space, as long as the provider is sufficiently reliable. And my own experience with using Dropbox so far is quite decent, that's why I mentioned it.

Another newer service offering 15 GB free space (and more with referrals): Copy. Haven't really tried and tested it yet, though.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:59 PM   #19
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
Another newer service offering 15 GB free space (and more with referrals): Copy. Haven't really tried and tested it yet, though.
Things are moving fast... Guess cx is old news now.
Thanks for the tip! Just signed up (Quite the barrage of ads. Wanting me to sign up to tweeter and so on...)

Also FYI: Always always always use checksums to verify files downloaded from a cloud account. There will be corruption here and there (getting what you paid for and all). Also a good idea to download the file you just uploaded to verify it went up intact.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:18 PM   #20
Banned

Quote:
Things are moving fast... Guess cx is old news now.
Thanks for the tip! Just signed up (Quite the barrage of ads. Wanting me to sign up to tweeter and so on...)

Also FYI: Always always always use checksums to verify files downloaded from a cloud account. There will be corruption here and there (getting what you paid for and all). Also a good idea to download the file you just uploaded to verify it went up intact.
Indeed. I guess for purposes of backing up / preserving integrity of files, Arq + Amazon is a much better solution than most of these free storage services.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:28 PM   #21
engineer

Did you manage to get your driver running now? I have a MOTU 828 MKII and used the new driver from the website. It seems to work, as ar as I see. (?)
Old 05-26-2013, 03:44 PM   #22
James HE

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer View Post
Did you manage to get your driver running now? I have a MOTU 828 MKII and used the new driver from the website. It seems to work, as ar as I see. (?)
not with the new driver.

I'm on XP by the way. this might have something to do with it. "Universal" might not apply if you are a decade behind current technology.

I'm using driver version 3.4 now. And not going to update, ever, lol. the old drivers have twice as many buffer settings. And things have been a bit more stable.

It is pretty much BS that they do not have old drivers on their site - or any documentation about old hardware. It's ALWAYS been that way, afaik.

IF I manage to find my restore disk for my laptop, I'm pretty sure I have a folder with several other driver versions. (if I find that disk, I'll also find my MOTU installation disk )I'll share what I have.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:02 PM   #23
The Telenator
Banned

Maybe I missed it above, and I must caution that doing this can wreak havoc with your eLiscenser (partly why I won't use them), but doesn't XP have a 'restore to earlier good config'? There should be an image of the old driver in the partitioned backup file, right? I know I had to do it once on my Win7 and survived it. If you do, though, be prepared to reinstall any files and plugs, etc., you have added since the date you return your PC to. For instance, suddenly that free XILS 3 BE freebie from Beat Magazin was GONE, so I just stuck it back in, entered the license code and refreshed. All was fine in the end, but I had to play the game of 'determine the missing files and software and put everything back'. It took a solid 2 hours to be satisfied I hadn't missed something important, but in the end it saved my life on the PC, 'cause the reason for restoring was a very nasty one I don't wish to relate or even think about anymore. (shudder!)

[edit] Oh, and I never go back any farther than I absolutely must, to save on all the mop-up I mentioned. Good Luck!
The Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:31 AM   #24
heda

found this thread about old motu xp drivers... not sure if it helps
http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10794
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:19 AM   #25
James HE

http://downloads.motu.com/firewire/SETUPFW3.20.zip

http://downloads.motu.com/firewire/SETUPFW3.30.zip

http://downloads.motu.com/firewire/SETUPFW3.32.zip

http://downloads.motu.com/firewire/SETUPFW3.5.3.2.zip

So they do host the files, but they just do not link to them on their site. I guess tech support would link you to them on an individual basis if you ask.

very strange.