Old 11-20-2015, 04:58 AM   #41
G-Sun
Human being with feelings

First,
sorry for not reading the whole thread, and just jumping in.
Typical me

gofer: Yes, ring out is certainly a good option.
Should be a preference.

Yet, the nature of undestructive split says content should be intact on right side as well (at least preferably)
Two solutions:
1) Mute right item note
2) Let some notes have a conditional statement,
that only allows it to be present in one item one one spot, at once.
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 05:47 AM   #42
G-Sun

Ok,
I believe a perfect solution is possible

1) All splits are precise

2) Splited notes are assigned two attributes
a) Let ring
b) Only one played per track (so the right item note is not played)(per note and noteOn)

Then,
on moving a split between two items, attributes are added as #2

on right edge move,
the "let ring" attribute is deleted.
(So you can control note-length)

Seems like midi-heaven to me
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 06:50 AM   #43
snooks
Banned

Just a quick picture to demonstrate that MIDI invisibly (from the arrange) playing beyond an item edge is often undesirable...

That note plays for not 1, but 90 bars. So the arrange view is far from an accurate reflection of what is going on. It's something that is a PITA when splitting stuff (especially when it has a note or few played ahead of the beat) and the empty space (once the items have been split and moved) is actually full of notes that you don't want there. Which all have to be edited on all tracks before recording/putting anything else in there.

Don't get me wrong, it's good when the notes only extend a bit into the empty space but then again there's little difference between that and the items themselves extending.
snooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 06:41 AM   #44
lexaproductions

A simple but effective way would be an option to prevent split over notes. When you split, the split is snapped to the closest blank space.

That option would be a great workaround I think.
lexaproductions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 12:06 AM   #45
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Any solution that requires MIDI notes to continue to play beyond the end of the media item is probably unworkable, as is automatically moving the split point.
Even if the "Let ring" option is unworkable, the other options can be implemented and would still be a major improvement. (As a simple dialog box that offers the user the various options.)

In the thread that SonicAxiom linked to in the second post, a very useful "Intelligent split" option was proposed:
Quote:
2. Intelligent split - if most of the note under split is on the left of cursor, shorten it as in point 1., if most of the note is on the right, move it's start to cursor.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 02:29 PM   #46
TonE

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
NI Maschine works correctly in this regard. even if you switch to another item (pattern) in the middle of playback, all currently playing notes still finish when they were supposed to, based on their length.

in reaper you get either hanging notes or truncated notes, take your pick.
Yes, splitting midi items without generating new notes should be default. Only note off has to be added somewhere then. Where bestly? Next item, or next in loop item.

PHP Code:
if (looping and item split over note)
{

add note off to next item in loop
}
else if (
item split over note)
{

add note off to next item

But then you would get problems after moving those items. It seems the problem is we need overlappable objects. If Reapers model does not allow this, we can not achieve this functionality easily.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 04:59 PM   #47
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
Yes, splitting midi items without generating new notes should be default. Only note off has to be added somewhere then. Where bestly? Next item, or next in loop item.
It should be pre-calculated. When Reaper sees a note-on, it should read ahead and add the note-off to the buffer (or something like that) so that note-off happens when it should, whether or not play cursor actually reaches the note-off. At least this is how I imagine it working. No idea what's technically involved.

We should be able to split an item or even stop playback (optionally) and the notes that were playing not be affected at all. They should always end when they were supposed to (based on note length when triggered).

This would be ideal.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:17 PM   #48
TonE

Ok, you gave great explanations, so Reaper devs could create something like a "hidden" or secret track or internal track, which will contain ONLY these note off events.

PHP Code:
if (item split over note)
{

add note off to "hidden track" at time position := cursor rest time to note end

This hidden track has to play ALWAYS linearly. No matter if anything is looped or not. Its purpose being only a trigger for note off events. Reaper devs should be able to program it in a few seconds, not sure why they never did it so far? It would be a bit similar to midi clock, instead of clock events it would just send those note off events, simple enough.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 05:03 AM   #49
pustekuchen

Default any update on this?

Hello everybody,

I am struggling with the same problem that when splitting MIDI-items I do not want to split the overlapping notes in half but instead leave the already playing notes until their Note-Off and I cannot find any way to do that.

I saw that many people asked exactly for the same thing already years ago and I wondered if there could be any update on this that I maybe couldn't find - or if this is still unsolved yet.

I am just wondering because Reaper developed so much over the last years and this is a pretty standard way to edit MIDI in other DAWs so if it would be possible in Reaper too that would be incredible...

If anybody would know more about this I would appreciate it!

Thank you and all the best to everybody here.
pustekuchen
pustekuchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 05:43 AM   #50
beingmf

Isn't the solution simply "Do as Logic does it"?