Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 11-12-2017, 05:00 PM   #1
_Stevie_
Human being with feelings

Default Better / full featured MTC sync method for video slaves

We need a better / fully featured implementation for syncing DAWs over MTC. At the moment, when Reaper is the master, the slave DAW (in my case Nuendo) only syncs, when Reaper is in play back mode. However, for film composers, sound designers and post in general, it is absolutely crucial to have the video always in sync (when nudging frames, scrubbing or forwarding).
_Stevie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:10 AM   #2
Klangfarben

Agreed. I think the problem is that MMC is not implemented in Reaper. Which is why none of the locate commands work. It is a pretty big shortcoming and hopefully gets dealt with as it's essential for every day film work.
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:25 AM   #3
_Stevie_

Absolutely, it's the only feature that is really missing to make it compete in the film scoring field!
Old Yesterday, 05:47 PM   #4
SonicAxiom

I assume that MTC is only output while Reaper is in play or record mode. Just an idea: What about inserting an smpte ltc timecode generator track (from the insert menu) and glue this timecode item to audio. Then, remove that track's Master parent/send checkmark in its routing window and define an appropriate hardware audio output. You then need to pick up this audio signal in the other daws (you could also try to use ReaStream to send the sync signal to any other computer present in your LAN via ethernet connection). The idea is that by using an audio sync signal (instead of MTC), even while scrubbing, the timecode will be output as audio. Maybe this achieves what you want.

I have a Dante network in my studio and I'm constantly sync'ing several computers transports by transmitting an LTC audio signal (glued timecode generator item) from the transport master pc to all other computers via a dedicated Dante audio channel. However, I don't need constant sync - only while in play or record.

Alternatively, you could try to accomplish it via MIDI-over-ethernet by using the free rtpMIDI app. However, you might get the same result (no sync if not in playback mode). It should be worth trying, though.
SonicAxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:04 PM   #5
_Stevie_

Hey SonicAxiom,

rtpMIDI is what I'm using right now (PC -> Mac) and Reaper doesn't seem to send the clock. But LTC is a good idea. I will try that and report back!

EDIT: just tried that, unfortunately with the same result. Sync only happens in playback or record mode :-(

Last edited by _Stevie_; Yesterday at 10:19 PM.