Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 03-26-2013, 10:15 AM   #1
jalfk
Human being with feelings

Default ReaInsert is broken and nobody is fixing it

Hi there,

When I started using REAPER 3 years ago, I had problems with reainsert causing clicks and dropouts to varying degrees, so have been using hardware aux sends and return tracks which is more work to do to the point that it's just not at all convenient using 10 pieces of outboard - ReaInsert would be the perfect solution BUT IT'S STILL BROKEN!!

Having previously had a feature request implemented within 48 hours of it being requested, I'm usually impressed with the developer's interest in customers. However why the hell is still not fixed after countless updates over 3 years later? Loads of people have been consistently having the same problem for even longer than I've known about REAPER.

Could we get this sorted finally? The DAW is otherwise the best out there.
jalfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:38 AM   #2
James HE

I'm finding that Reainsert causes less problems if you have "anticipative FX" turned off in preferences.

give that a go and see...

I am not using it in a 'normal' sense most of the time, I'm using it to send control signals through various gadgetry to control parameter modulation, and simply turning anticipative FX off fixed most of the problems I was having.
James HE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:52 AM   #3
jalfk

Quote:
Originally Posted by James HE View Post
I'm finding that Reainsert causes less problems if you have "anticipative FX" turned off in preferences.

give that a go and see...

I am not using it in a 'normal' sense most of the time, I'm using it to send control signals through various gadgetry to control parameter modulation, and simply turning anticipative FX off fixed most of the problems I was having.
Possibly but without this setting on I cannot play back complex sessions as the plugin optimization is so bad with the option off that my mac pro cannot process everything in realtime and it just sounds like distortion.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:06 PM   #4
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

You can also turn of anticipative FX per track via the track context menu->Track performance options.
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:24 PM   #5
Smurf

It seems like the more you ask for any serious problems to be fixed, the longer it takes....
Old 03-26-2013, 12:26 PM   #6
danfuerth

How about locking the delay comp as other Daw's already do aka Cubase?

That is the biggest fail with Reainsert and this still has not been fixed.

I mean I see like this if you have an issue : Look for the people who solved it already then copy and then modified to make it better than the original

I am begining to think this has fallen on death ears I guess.

I find it very rude when we mention who has these things fixed and the answer we get is workarounds

FIX REAINSERT!! PDC drifting like crazy, no way to lock the latency, please take a look at cubase they fixed this years ago!!

Or are we going to have to pay an outside coder as is being done for VCA groups as Cockos seems to be preety lazy with that addition to Reaper.

Outside coders are making Cockos developers look bad man.
We ask Cockos to add these VCA groups and some outside coder is asked and codes a fully working plugin for x32 that Cockos says is impossible .

Just fix it, no excuses.

Last edited by danfuerth; 03-26-2013 at 12:32 PM.
danfuerth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:27 PM   #7
jalfk

Thanks for the per track option tip... I'll try that.

HOWEVER

Can we just get this fixed?
Old 03-26-2013, 12:36 PM   #8
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by danfuerth View Post
that Cockos says is impossible .
Where did they say it was impossible? Quote.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:55 PM   #9
danfuerth

Do you know why Magix added VCA groups to Sequoia for v12? Thousands of people working in boadcasting tv studios who use Sequoia gave a kind FU to Magix : Either get these VCA groups in Sequoia or we move to Protools.
They pressured Magix for the same shit I have been posting HARDWARE CONSOLIDATION!!

Answer: Magix hauled ass and put them in under less than 5 months before the final release of v12 fearing the loss of updates and $3000 for each Sequoia
sale.

And just like I promised would happen a while back, someone said enough! of this crap and got a coder to write a proper plugin for VCA GROUPS and thus proving Cockos is avoiding VCA GROUPS in Reaper due to a backlash from Avid .
Having personally used the plugin I know 100% that Cockos is indeed avoiding the Avid and Magix Lawyers.

COPY AND IMPROVE or GTFO

This plugin proves beyond a shadow of a doubt Cockos are indeed afraid to add VCA groups to Reaper as evidence in the group matrix with the missing automation boxes....but look at the source code.....
Old 03-26-2013, 12:58 PM   #10
EvilDragon

I'm asking you to quote me where Cockos said that it was impossible. Not another tirade. Quote it or GTFO.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:59 PM   #11
jalfk

Either way, there is no conspiracy behind ReaInsert being shit. It just is.

And it needs to be fixed.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:02 PM   #12
danfuerth

No conspiracy I am using that Beta plugin Live and it works so this proves either the Cockos coders are DUMB and can't code shit or they really have no intention of putting the groups in the group matrix....but that is not what the source code says......hint.

Some outside coder, coded a plugin that works for X32 ( X64 being worked on) thus proving that Cockos is not willing to put them in.

Look at the JS plugins the Justin Posted, notice he knows what VCA groups are however did not post a proper VCA control plugin, he gave people some lame ass plugins that use extra channels, just to calm people down

I am using reaper live 50+ tracks and 5 faders in reaper . The slaves follow the masters automation on those VCA master faders with the use of the VCA groups Beta plugin. And I finally proved my point of not needed a fader interface . Only with VCA groups this is possible.

Again an outsider did this NOT COCKOS.

Maybe we need this guy to fix ReaInsert as well right ED?
Seems like he is doing a better job than Cockos.

Last edited by danfuerth; 03-26-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:09 PM   #13
jalfk

I actually have no clue about these said VCA ground, can't see why they would be useful, and don't care about reaper-avid politics.

Obviously the coders of (IMHO) the best frickin DAW on earth are not dumb.

If something would create a lawsuit then I support Cockos's decision. Especially as I don't care about that feature anyway.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:39 PM   #14
danfuerth

I did not care for it either untill I encountered at least 10 issues with Reaper that only VCA groups can fix.

When I seen a Potools user do a full project live using only VCA groups without any fader interface, while I had to being my interface that is when I said yes we need that in Reaper.

Slaves do not follow masters automation in Reaper, that was left out on purpose. That is what VCA groups do

With VCA groups in my live set, I have 50 tracks going and they follow their masters automation so I do not need 50 tracks of automation all over the place as again no need as the slaves follow their masters.

And no Folders do not work as they do not preserve the Wet/Dry levels.

When you run live Projects that is why Protools users gloat about it, because they asked for those features and Avid added them

Again with this VCA group plugin I do not need to bring my interface, that was my goal as the other Protools user was doing.

Except he has VCA groups built in no need for plugins.

I guess Reaper is not Ready for Studio use or Pro live mixing, that is why Protools is used.

This outside coder got my live projects going without needing to haul a fader interface and NOT COCKOS!!
Old 03-26-2013, 01:59 PM   #15
jalfk

Quote:
I did not care for it either untill I encountered at least 10 issues with Reaper that only VCA groups can fix.

When I seen a Potools user do a full project live using only VCA groups without any fader interface, while I had to being my interface that is when I said yes we need that in Reaper.

Slaves do not follow masters automation in Reaper, that was left out on purpose. That is what VCA groups do

With VCA groups in my live set, I have 50 tracks going and they follow their masters automation so I do not need 50 tracks of automation all over the place as again no need as the slaves follow their masters.

And no Folders do not work as they do not preserve the Wet/Dry levels.

When you run live Projects that is why Protools users gloat about it, because they asked for those features and Avid added them

Again with this VCA group plugin I do not need to bring my interface, that was my goal as the other Protools user was doing.

Except he has VCA groups built in no need for plugins.

I guess Reaper is not Ready for Studio use or Pro live mixing, that is why Protools is used.

This outside coder got my live projects going without needing to haul a fader interface and NOT COCKOS!!
I use REAPER ~350 days a year at my studio for recording, mixing and mastering and have never needed VCA fader groups.

If you are worried about folders making auxes pre fader, just put the echo return in the folder.

If you need to have 3 "VCA groups" all sending to the same reverb, duplicate the reverb plug twice, once for each folder.

But as I say, I've never needed this feature and I am a professional engineer who works every day (including weekends for my personal music).
Old 03-26-2013, 02:10 PM   #16
danfuerth

Okay then here is a question then

Live use.

50 back tracks that I need into 5 groups ( 10 each) No Fader INTERFACE .

Protools users can setup the project add their VCA group masters, add the slaves to those masters and the slaves follow the master automation

WITHOUT ANY FADER INTERFACE NEEDED!!! as they just move the Master VCA faders with the mouse!!!

And with Sends and Effects the Wet/Dry mix is preserved

If you say you are a Pro and you say you do not need them LOL that is because you are either using a larger console and just sending stems to Reaper

I am talking IN THE BOX live Mixing, NO CONSOLE, NO FADER interface.

Only Protools can pull that off with VCA groups, in Reaper each track would require it's own Automation lane thus 50 automation lanes would be needed instead of 5!!!

Reaper slaves do not follow the Master's automation, how on earth have you not seen this yet LOL 365 days

In the BOX, IN the BOX live Mixing no console, no interface live

Only protools, Sequoia and now Reaper with the beta plugin can do this.

I can do it you can't with your Reaper.

I walk in with the laptop, no console, no fader interface and run the show and you CAN NOT DO THE SAME without the Plugin with your Reaper.

With this Beta plugin the Project runs itself with only 5 automation lanes ( 1 for each master) as the slaves again FOLLOW the masters automation
Old 03-26-2013, 02:11 PM   #17
EvilDragon

Dan, you're starting to steal the guy's bug report with your own agenda. Stop doing that.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:21 PM   #18
jalfk

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Dan, you're starting to steal the guy's bug report with your own agenda. Stop doing that.
+1

however.........

Quote:

Live use.

Protools users can setup the project add their VCA group masters, add the slaves to those masters and the slaves follow the master automation

WITHOUT ANY FADER INTERFACE NEEDED!!! as they just move the Master VCA faders with the mouse!!!

If you say you are a Pro and you say you do not need them LOL that is because you are either using a larger console and just sending stems to Reaper

Only Protools can pull that off with VCA groups, in Reaper each track would require it's own Automation lane thus 50 automation lanes would be needed instead of 5!!!

Reaper slaves do not follow the Master's automation, how on earth have you not seen this yet LOL 365 days

I walk in with the laptop, no console, no fader interface and run the show and you CAN NOT DO THE SAME without the Plugin with your Reaper.

With this Beta plugin the Project runs itself with only 5 automation lanes ( 1 for each master) as the slaves again FOLLOW the masters automation
I only work in the studio and have no idea about 50 backing tracks for live concerts.... and when I go to a concert normally it's the musicians playing and not the sound guy.

In my 3 odd years experience with reaper, I have indeed never required VCAs as folders are perfectly adequate. When I have 6 backing vocal tracks, I put them in a "BVs" folder and automate the BVs folder. When would you ever need to send child tracks of BVs to something outside of BVs? You just send the whole BVs folder to a verb or whatever.

I'm assuming you AREN'T a professional engineer which is why you so desperately think you need something which can be done more simply using other, industry standard, methods.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:21 PM   #19
danfuerth

Yes I know lol, now that the live Project runs itself I have time to do other stuff instead of wasting my time hauling in a big ass fader interface.

But I have achieve my goal

Walk in with my guitar Case ( guitar + FA101 interface inside it) and My laptop that's it .

This Plugin was made possible because someone asked, was not answered, had it coded and now all other Reaper users are lacking an important mixing tool and live mixing tool as well.

1 person pissed and motivated can change things.
I now walk in and tell the Protools users I have the same VCA groups as you can do the same crap as what you are doing and did not need to spend thousands.

That sentence there is what motivates people
Old 03-26-2013, 02:30 PM   #20
James HE

yes stoppit dan.. lol.

ReaINsert.

I want it to work flawlessly, of course. I just make it work for now, requires a shoehorn to make fit every now and then.

I don't have tons of outboard, so it's probably not as broken to me as it is to the OP, and what I do with it doesn't really even need to be phase coherent even... lol
James HE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:40 PM   #21
jalfk

Quote:
Originally Posted by James HE View Post
yes stoppit dan.. lol.

ReaINsert.

I want it to work flawlessly, of course. I just make it work for now, requires a shoehorn to make fit every now and then.

I don't have tons of outboard, so it's probably not as broken to me as it is to the OP, and what I do with it doesn't really even need to be phase coherent even... lol
For me although the shoe horn suggestions may work, I can just create a send and return track as I say, workarounds aren't a problem as the core functionality is there inherently from being a DAW. However it's the convenience I'm looking for, which SHOULD be provided perfectly by ReaInsert, but it's not because the plugin is broken.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:45 PM   #22
pcartwright

I look at the thread to read about reainsert and I see mostly this:
Quote:

Live use.

Shut up, Dan!
pcartwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:59 AM   #23
danfuerth

As the OP : 3 years ago

Yes because people here give up too easily that is why shit does not get fixed!!!!

If it was not for me the fkin Reastream issue would of still been in Reaper with the Localhost!!

I sent a message directly to Justin and explained you have a feature in Reaper that is not working as people who paid for Reaper expected that function to work so YOU NEED TO FIX it.

Reastream was fixed the next day!!!

Do not give up.....

Last edited by danfuerth; 03-27-2013 at 02:04 AM.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:49 PM   #24
onemillionmangos

ReaInsert needs fixing
onemillionmangos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:56 PM   #25
Andy_bt

I'm experimenting with hardware and Reainsert and I may have found a bug (v4.4 Mac OS 10.8):
I have a parent folder for the entire session, if I put Reainsert with let's say my bus comp there Reaper freezes as soon as I hit play (whatever the delay comp is set to). If I route that folder to the bus comp via a send and back to another track it works just fine, same if I use Reainsert on the master, no problem then...???
HELP!
A.
Andy_bt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:35 PM   #26
Justin
Administrator

Can you guys provide test projects that fail (particularly if they cause crashes or hangs, but also for other situations)? Thanks.
Justin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:57 PM   #27
Andy_bt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Can you guys provide test projects that fail (particularly if they cause crashes or hangs, but also for other situations)? Thanks.
Sure!
Thanks for the lightning fast support Justin!
I'll upload to stashbox (right?) ASAP
A.

edit: link PMed

Last edited by Andy_bt; 04-27-2013 at 05:16 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:18 PM   #28
Nip

My issue probably don't need a project.

#1. I use reainsert to render external synth.

So I only send midi - and record audio.

Tested and delay about 370 samples make it line up when recorded.

But it seems to cut final note_offs when doing this. Final notes hang.

My guess it has to do with set delay and send it shut down to early.

#2. Detect seem to include actual time, and not removing what latency soundcard has - which Reaper encounter for by itself.

When subtracting soundcard set latency(2x64 in my case) final clip lines up with midi.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:22 AM   #29
Sarasota

Quote:

Live use.

=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=

Live use? You left out a few tid bits of info that makes your message harder to put in context .... I mean,

(1). Can you be more specific about the type of shows/live events you are working as listed in the example above (ie: Theater, Live music, A/V presentation, DJ, or other)? Who is the Client (if you can disclose)

(2). What's your setup running FOH (Tops, Subs, Amps, FOH Racks, etc..) and what's your setup for stage (Wedges/In-ears, SF's, Amps, Stage Racks, other)???

(3). What are the "50 backing tracks" being used for? Sound cues, Music, Other?

(4). You didn't specify, but are you using this setup for personal use (your band or solo act) or do you use this setup for professional live work (meaning, you own a live sound Co).

(5). If you do own a live sound co, how do you get around the requirments listed within the "Rider" specified by the Talent, their managment and/or the Promoter? Do you re-negotiate the contract and just bring what you want to use, or is it a mix of both what's listed in the Rider and your gear?

(6). Do you have a backup Comps in case the digital hardware crashes and won't reboot (a few Analog boards and other gear in the trailer)?

I'm asking these questions because it's important to compare "apples to apples". One user here posted he's a Studio guy and doesn't do live work. As professional, you know that everything (Hardware & Software) is very specific to it's use (while never totaly perfect and 100% bug free). Let's not forget personal taste and a persons way of workflow. Lets face it, there's a thousand ways to do things in our biz, it just depends on the requirements, type of work, and who is doing it.

However, bashing gear, software, or people who share the same love of the work, to me, is counter productive. Yes, I love the software I'm using (several packages to be honest) but I would never say my way is the best, or, This is the only way of doing things, or Pro's would never use this or that!!! In our Industry, it's not an issue to praise or recommend a product (or even rant and rave about how great it is).... However, when a professional such as yourself begins to slam hardware, software, or others for not doing it your way, your selling yourself short, which could end up hurting your business and reputation (which is everything in this industry).

Please don't take my message as a slam or being disrespectfull (never my intention). I just try to keep the peace while putting things into perspective I guess...

Anyway, Take care and be well.

P.S. I'm a recent convert to Reaper 4402 from Sonar 8.5, Cubase, Protools, and others... I "love" Reaper, and it does what I need it to do. However, I still use the other DAW packages when the need requires it. So, I always recommend people should use whatever works for them, the client, and the job.

OK, enough babbling from me..... Have a great weekend Dan.

Last edited by Sarasota; 05-26-2013 at 05:28 AM.
Sarasota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:17 PM   #30
EvilDragon

Why are you responding to a banned member?
Old 05-26-2013, 01:21 PM   #31
Susan G

Quote:
Hi EvilDragon-

How would one know? Just curious, 'cause I don't see anything to indicate that he's banned. I think I saw it referred to in a thread, but otherwise I'd have no idea.

Thanks-

-Susan
Susan G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:35 PM   #32
Banned

Next up, people are going to stop responding to me. Every post of mine shows quite clearly that I'm banned here.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:05 PM   #33
Amazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
Next up, people are going to stop responding to me. Every post of mine shows quite clearly that I'm banned here.
No you're not. You are Banned. This is a case sensitive forum.
Amazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:59 AM   #34
Sarasota

Quote:
Hey Dragon,

I didn't know he was banned, oops (LOL) Wink'.... Anyway, about the ReaInsert not working? I send the signal via routing it to my external hardware and bring it back via another set of inputs (plus I record that return)....

There are atvantages to sending it out via a re-routed "buss" track, then back again, and record that effect (100% wet).

(1). I can track everything we need, then send the client away for a couple days so I can rough out a mix and record the new effect tracks.

(2). Client comes back and I can preview several different Verbs or other Effects to them simply by increasing the gain of the new recorded effect tracks. Switching between the different Verbs or Effects is as simple as hitting the mute buttons.

(3). Another benifit going this route is.... When you archive the project, all of the external Effects or Verbs are packaged up with the rest of the project. This is a great benefit if your external DSP Effect unit dies or is sold... You don't have to worry about scrambling to recreate that effect with somethig else in the off chance the client wants to remix the project in the future.

Given that Reaper has "excellent" routing options, the buggy ReaInsert is not a problem for me given the fact there are several different ways you can achieve the same result (or better). Would I like to see ReaInsert fixed? Sure, of course I would... However, if the Developers have other, more pressing issues to deal with, I rather they fix those first. On the other hand, my vote is "yes", please fix it when the next available time slot opens up on your calander.

Have a great Holiday Weekend

-Terry
Old 05-27-2013, 12:45 PM   #35
Andy_bt

There always are workarounds but IMO the question is what tool gets the job done the fastest?
Your method means no quick swapping of processors in a chain, no easy A/Bing between plugs and hardware and no instant recall of old projects without first checking what's up with the routing, unless I missed something
A.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:32 AM   #36
Sarasota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_bt View Post
There always are workarounds but IMO the question is what tool gets the job done the fastest?
Your method means no quick swapping of processors in a chain, no easy A/Bing between plugs and hardware and no instant recall of old projects without first checking what's up with the routing, unless I missed something
A.
Hey Andy,

Sorry for the late reply, I was swamped this week and everything I had to do was a total time suck (Adding some new gear to the setup, plus working on client stuff also EEEEK, not enough time).

You are correct, there are few feaures/options we may not have with out the ReaInsert plugin working correctly... But this is why you are a pro, meaning no matter what the configuration, the gear, the setup, and the few annoying issues, you/we can find a work around 99.9% of the time. Sure, we always wish for the easiest route, however, that's why we are good at doing what we do... Finding solutions!

I fully appreciate everyones frustration with bugs, but for some to say "scrap Reaper" because a plugin does not work is silly to me because of all the other great things Reaper offers and does great (most important to me, it's rock solid and stable on my system).

Ok, here is how I run my setup.

In Reaper if I want to send a track out to exteral DSP Effects or other gear, hereis one example of a setup I use. How I set things up will depend on wether I want to Send the track dry, or using Reaper's or other third party plugins Pre or Post Hardware DSP Effect. Insted of creating a silly long post, see if this setup works for you... If not, We'll try a few others...

For this example, we'll use a single vocal track, and send it to a single external Hardware DSP Multi-effects Proc, let's say the TC M-One for now. For the Plugin we'll use ReaComp. Note: For this example we'll use an I/O Interface with 8in 8 out and the rest digital inputs, what most I/O units offer.

-(Sending a Track To External Hardware W/O Plugins)-

(1). Set The External DSP Mix to 100% Wet.

(2). Create a Buss/Subgroup/Aux Send by creating a new track and we'll name it ("EXT DSP Send TC M-/One"). You can name it what every name system you use. Note: If you set the external DSP 100% wet you can leave Master Parent send alone, if you set the mix via your DSP, then set the Parent setting to off.

(3.) Select The Vocal Track and Enter the I/O setup and send the signal to the buss/subgroup track named ("EXT DSP Send TC M-/One")...

(4). Select the I/O settings in the buss track named ("EXT DSP Send TC M-/One") and set your Audio Output Hardware to output 7-8...

(5). Plug Output's 7-8 from your computer I/O to input's Left/Right on the external DSP, the "TC M-One"...

(6). Plug the DSP Left/Right output back into the computer I/O input 9 (lets say 7-8 are open and we'll use those)...

(7). Create a new track and name it ("TC M-one Return"), select the tracks I/O and set it to input's 7-8. Make sure the Record Arm is set to on also...

Ok, now when you play back your project, with the Vocal track's Master Parent Send to on, the vocal track will play through the Master. In the mean time, it will send the vocal track to your external DSP and back allowing you to monitor the effect which is also being sent to Master. You can adjust how much effect you want by adjusting the ("TC-one Return") track fader, and you can mute it also... Plus, all timing compensation for latency will be applied too... Cool? Ok, you can also insert a plugin (RealComp) to that same track (the "TC-one Return").

There are a couple other setups, if this one does not do what you want, then I'll post the other examples. If they don't work, we can sit down and pound out a solution because you are a pro and that's what we do). Wink'

So, I use Reaper as a DAW, meaning the way we all do....However, because Reaper has great routing options, I set Reaper up as if I'm using a Large Format Mixer (Busses/Subgroups/Aux Sends)... Now, If you can do 99% of what you need to using a Hardware Mixer and a deicated multi track recorder, then you can do the same in Reaper.

Take care and be Well,

-Terry

System Setup:

Computer Setup
(1): PC Audio server (I7-950 CPU, Ram-32Gb DDR3 1600Mhz Tripple Channel, and 6 TB of HD space, EVG SLI58 LE MB).
(2): 3 LCD Monitor Setup (2x 21" side by side and 1x 42" on top center of two below).
Note: I like a lot on realastate to work in.

PC I/O Interfaces:

(1): QT-1: Motu PCIe 424 I/O Card.
(2): Qt-1: Motu 24i/O 24 In, 24 out (Plugs into The PCIe card).
(3): QT-2: Motu 896MkIII 1394 Firewire (Plugs into 1394 Port) 8x8 in and out plus digital.
(4): QT-1: Motu 828MKII 1394 Firewire (For extra 8 analog in's, Plugs into 1394 Port).

Last edited by Sarasota; 06-03-2013 at 11:34 AM.
Sarasota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 03:44 PM   #37
Andy_bt

Not the "pro" thing please, it sounds like an Avid guy trying to push an HDX system...
Sure, hardware sends are cool but they aren't the same thing as inserts, to me it just sounds like saying routing to a buss is the same as using a VCA...
If sends fit your needs that's totally fine with me, but whether it's a bummer or not is a personal thing, can't see how anyone could argue that.
A.

BTW routing is powerful but could be more practical IMO, as an example go find which is which when you have 5 or 6 SC set from a track
Old 06-03-2013, 10:00 AM   #38
Sarasota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_bt View Post
Not the "pro" thing please, it sounds like an Avid guy trying to push an HDX system...
Sure, hardware sends are cool but they aren't the same thing as inserts, to me it just sounds like saying routing to a buss is the same as using a VCA...
If sends fit your needs that's totally fine with me, but whether it's a bummer or not is a personal thing, can't see how anyone could argue that.
A.

BTW routing is powerful but could be more practical IMO, as an example go find which is which when you have 5 or 6 SC set from a track
Hey Andy,

Sorry about the Pro comment, (I'm not pushing anything wink'). Fact is, I tell people, use what works for you, your requirments, and gives you that happy feel good thing in your gut. You right, routing via a buss is not the same as an Insert (or as a VCA), but it's one, of a few, work arounds until they fix the ReaInsert Plugin.

Sure, I'm in total agreement with you regarding multiple sends from a track creating a little havoc with workflow or making it harder to keep track of things... I deal with it either by creating a folder or moving the return tracks to the top of the time line (and keeping the return names simple).

Hopfully they will fix ReaInsert and we can all breath a sigh of relief (make our lives a little easier). So, if the Dev's are reading this, please, please, oh please (with sugar on top).... Fix ReaInsert as soon as you guys can (Thank You).

Take care Andy,

-Terry

PS: Did you go out and buy all Avid gear? Come on, only Pro's use it.... You Don't have Avid gear? I Don't know you, LOL
Old 06-03-2013, 10:17 AM   #39
Lawrence

Yeah. To Andy's point...

If you're inclined to regularly use hardware inserts, which I'm personally not so much, it's a great advantage to use a purpose built method for that. In some cases those those I/O's are exclusive, like with Cubase's external instument returns. If you dedicate inputs for that, those inputs actually don't even show up anywhere else in the daw, like for recording, so there's never any confusion.

Similarly, because the I/O assignemnts for audio inserts are usually right on the plugin, and recallable with presets, there's no confusion there either.

But sure, you can run an output and use a free input and do that manually in any workstation but that's really - far - from an efficient way to work, if you do that kind of thing a lot. And you still have to adjust all the latencies manually, where the purpose built plugin does it all for you.

I don't use hardware at mix time so no biggie to me personally.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote