Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 11-10-2019, 07:08 AM   #1
monty
Human being with feelings

Default arch experience (possible broken) updates?

@Jack Winter
Hi Jack, what is your experiences with (possible broken) updates incl. AUR packages ... does it happen often?
I'll probably switch to manjaro KDE soon and I have to use following possible problem packages:
- linux-rt-manjaro-nvidia-435xx
- wineasio
- wine-staging
- cadence
- xorg-xinput
- ntfs-3g
Manjaro-KDE RT, AMD FX-8350, 16GB, nvidia GT 630, Multiscreen (2x 22", 1x 15"), Reaper (latest) Theme: iLogic Next, Interface: Tascam US-16x08, ControlSurface: Tascam US-2400, Monitors: JBL 4412A, Tascam VL-S3 & Alesis Elevate 3 mkII
monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:33 AM   #2
SmajjL

Manjaro was so close to perfect for me until I started messing with WINE-something.
Got "Your OS is not supported" when trying to install something Native Instruments.
Did not spend much time after that with it, could be me/my bad but I sure don't get that msg on Ubuntu/Mint doing the same exact thing.

And then in my eye I get Ubuntu (News) that they had a 32-bit support fight and Steam stopped working ofc, think they gave-in for the time being, maby works now.. think WINE people was not happy about the dropping 32-bit support either.

Not been on Linux for a while now though and things change/updates, maby time for another SchmajjL Linux adventure?

SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 10:55 AM   #3
Jack Winter

Well I've never ran Manjaro.

I don't think you'll have problems with packages from the AUR, though AFAIK Wineasio is broken (and I'm too lazy to fix it) It broke with a relatively recent change to Wine. You could build something that would work if you installed an older version of Wine via the AUR.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 04:57 AM   #4
monty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
Well I've never ran Manjaro.

I don't think you'll have problems with packages from the AUR, though AFAIK Wineasio is broken (and I'm too lazy to fix it) It broke with a relatively recent change to Wine. You could build something that would work if you installed an older version of Wine via the AUR.
currently, I use LINvst (latest) with KDE Neon & wine-staging 4.19, wineasio & cadence was installed via KXstudio sources, I get an error message too when running:
Code:
regsvr32 wineasio.dll
000b:fixme:winediag:start_process Wine Staging 4.19 is a testing version containing experimental patches.
000b:fixme:winediag:start_process Please mention your exact version when filing bug reports on winehq.org.
0022:fixme:win:RegisterDeviceNotificationW (hwnd=0x19cff0, filter=0xcafed8,flags=0x00000005) returns a fake device notification handle!
but after all it shows wineasio.dll as registered ...
In Reaper "devices" wineasio is not shown, so I guess it's not working anymore w/ staging 4.19.
The VST plugins working well via linvst ... so do I really need wineasio?
Manjaro-KDE RT, AMD FX-8350, 16GB, nvidia GT 630, Multiscreen (2x 22", 1x 15"), Reaper (latest) Theme: iLogic Next, Interface: Tascam US-16x08, ControlSurface: Tascam US-2400, Monitors: JBL 4412A, Tascam VL-S3 & Alesis Elevate 3 mkII

Last edited by monty; 11-11-2019 at 05:07 AM.
Old 11-11-2019, 05:15 AM   #5
Jack Winter

You don't need wineasio at all for the linux version of reaper! You could use it if you run the windows version in wine.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Old 11-11-2019, 05:25 AM   #6
monty

Quote:
You don't need wineasio at all for the linux version of reaper! You could use it if you run the windows version in wine.
thanks, that was the point ... so far everything works in my manjaro KDE test installation except winasio, so I will not have to install it ;-)
Old 11-12-2019, 09:12 AM   #7
monty

Hello Jack I have just one question left ... which CPU scaling-governor do you use w/ Arch?
in KDE neon I have used cpufrequtils to start all CPU cores with maximum power at boot, but it seems cpufrequtils package is broken in Arch ...
is this also possible with Arch to set automatically all cores to maximum at startup?
Old 11-12-2019, 03:22 PM   #8
Jack Winter

I don't know what cpu you have..

But since I use Intel I use it's pstate driver and don't bother about the governor (default). But I do check the use /proc/cpu_dma_latency in reaper. If you have /proc/cpu_dma_latency in you filesystem you can enable that option, which tells the cpu to stop going into deeper power saving states. Installing the realtime-privileges package and adding your user to the realtime group should give you access to that, and also allow you to use realtime and memlock privs.
Old 11-16-2019, 04:49 AM   #9
monty

I have changed from manjaro to arch ... which improved the performance enormously ;-)
Do you use an RT kernel from the AUR repositories?
I have installed the Zen Kernel & header (linux-zen linux-zen-headers realtime-privileges) from official repositories, I think it is more stable when installing system updates and also more trustworthy repositories ...
I guess it works like a lowlatency kernel would you recommend another kernel or can I use it for a good audio performance with arch?
Old 11-16-2019, 05:32 AM   #10
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty View Post
I have changed from manjaro to arch ... which improved the performance enormously ;-)
Do you use an RT kernel from the AUR repositories?
I have installed the Zen Kernel & header (linux-zen linux-zen-headers realtime-privileges) from official repositories, I think it is more stable when installing system updates and also more trustworthy repositories ...
I guess it works like a lowlatency kernel would you recommend another kernel or can I use it for a good audio performance with arch?
Strange, I would have imagined that they performed similarly (the distros).

I don't remember, I haven't used the zen kernel for years. Personally I added a repo from dvzrv (the primary Arch audio packager). It gives me the AUR rt kernels without having to build them locally.

Add this to /etc/pacman.conf, and then you can install linux-rt or linux-rt-lts with pacman as any other package. Very convenient.

Code:
[dvzrv]
Server = https://pkgbuild.com/~dvzrv/repo/$arch
If using nvidia use the nvidia-dkms package which automatically builds the kernel modules for all installed kernels.
Old 11-16-2019, 06:57 AM   #11
monty

many thanks for the dvzrv source, that's great!
oh yeah, arch with minimal plasma is much faster as the manjaro KDE minimal distro ... it seems also more lightweight as manjaro is:
Code:
systemctl list-unit-files --state=enabled --no-pager
KDE neon > 48 unit files listed
Manjaro KDE > 22 unit files listed
Arch KDE > 15 unit files listed

Last edited by monty; 11-16-2019 at 07:28 AM.
Old 11-16-2019, 07:27 AM   #12
monty

Quote:
Add this to /etc/pacman.conf, and then you can install linux-rt or linux-rt-lts with pacman as any other package. Very convenient.

Code:
[dvzrv]
Server = https://pkgbuild.com/~dvzrv/repo/$arch
cool, that worked ;-)
Code:
5.2.21-rt13-1-rt #1 SMP PREEMPT RT
Old 11-16-2019, 07:35 AM   #13
Jack Winter

Yes, in archlinux you only tend to install what you need, though IMO it's gotten a lot more bloated with systemd. Nowdays I have loads of services running and file systems mounted only due to things being installed as dependencies.

Personally I've capitulated and only take notion if I encounter some problem. I guess you can call it being pragmatic as I don't have the time nor interest to fight the distro all the time
Old 11-16-2019, 06:08 PM   #14
4duhwinnn

Another thanks for your tips! And you're right
about not mudwrestling a distro, when much music
can be made, and limited hours more generally enjoyed.
Cheers
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 07:15 PM   #15
Jack Winter

Sadly I don't spend much time lately with music

I've been playing games as I bought a new graphics card, and so many windows games can be played through wine lately

Still I recorded some demos the other day, and have nailed them to a click. Now comes multitracking, drum editing, etc :S Still it's fun to do it, especially when you listen to the end result..
Old 11-19-2019, 09:52 AM   #16
monty

just a final question ;-)
can Reaper & SWS be safely installed from AUR, or is it better to install them both manually?
Old 11-19-2019, 10:06 AM   #17
cfillion

reaper-bin on the AUR runs the install script and puts the result in a nice package file, so it's great.

The sws AUR package compiles the very latest code on the repository rather than a released version, so it's actually like a -git package. Also the files must be manually copied (or better: symlinked) into the user resource folder, ~/.config/REAPER/{UserPlugins,Scripts} (for reaper_sws-x86_64.so and sws_python64.py respectively).

Last edited by cfillion; 11-19-2019 at 10:40 AM.
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 10:29 AM   #18
monty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfillion View Post
reaper-bin on the AUR runs the install script and puts the result in a nice package file, so it's great.

The sws AUR package however installs its files globally rather than in the user resource folder. They must be manually copied (or better: symlinked) into ~/.config/REAPER/{UserPlugins,Scripts} (for reaper_sws-x86_64.so and sws_python64.py respectively).
thanks! I guess the realtime trim (discard) option should not be used during audio productions in fstab - right?
Old 11-19-2019, 03:23 PM   #19
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty View Post
thanks! I guess the realtime trim (discard) option should not be used during audio productions in fstab - right?
I don't think that is a problem.
Old 11-20-2019, 01:01 AM   #20
SmajjL

Quote:
I've been playing games as I bought a new graphics card, and so many windows games can be played through wine lately
Steams Proton ("WINE")-mode works great also.
Had one problem with for example Rfactor2, turns out one could say the GPU is to fast! and need to be FPS capped, problem was on both Windows and Linux so my question is, how do one FPS cap on Linux?

I am a tad Windows VST biased still, and I know many things Can be WINEd, but would Prefer all Native one day and that all software devs agree and "can/want to/have time/Money'blabla's"
I actually thought "for music" would beat "for games" as for native'ness.

So glad I did my Linux adventure so I am Linux-ready in 5 minutes, think all should learn/try Linux in their own phase so they are ready.

Old 11-20-2019, 03:22 AM   #21
Jack Winter

Not sure how you'd cap FPS in linux. I imagine an option in the game running under wine/proton.

Much as I like using some of my windows plugins with linvst, I'd much prefer to have them all as native linux plugins. Even if linvst is fantastic, there are also some drawbacks to using it. Still I find myself sad if I can't use the fabfilter ones!
Old 11-20-2019, 04:28 AM   #22
SmajjL

Me neither for now, not like capping is a new thing, c'mon now Linux..
Maby Gsync will work on games like that with those issues, Gsync is available on Linux thank gawd and I think AMD and Nvidia should build it in their control panel (the FPS cap only option).

I don't own or use FAB but I for some reason though they were on the list of WINEs that worked (well)? you just mean you'd love it to go Native?
Think you get the same answer as Valhalla..

Old 11-20-2019, 07:10 AM   #23
JamesPeters

"Sync to vblank" option should lock it to the refresh rate of your monitor. In that way you can cap FPS. If using an Nvidia card it will be in the Nvidia xserver settings. Also there might be a setting in your compositor depending on what other video driver you are using, one of these might override the other.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 08:50 AM   #24
SmajjL

Not Linux'ing atm to try/play stuff but hmm, Vsync is famous for adding scary latency, famous I tell ya and Gsync now got a low latency mode ("improvements is good) but, for FPS games, I ssssstill prefer to cap my FPS with Asus Tweak II or Rivatuner that bundles with MSI Afterburner, Linux really does not have anything like this? *meh/Snap!*

For racing games, I can compromise a tad ofc but since I got a new monitor and upped the Hz, tearing is really even less noticeable in most games, to the point I could say, I don't even need Gsync, but I won't say it.
On 60Hz, some games begs for Gsync for Sure.

But yep, yup.

Psst, sowwy for the off topic, I have a talent for that it seems

Last edited by SmajjL; 11-20-2019 at 09:06 AM.
Old 11-20-2019, 02:26 PM   #25
JamesPeters

Just try it. It's probably fine.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 07:21 PM   #26
SmajjL

Yes Sir!

Ohh, I did not even know Vsync now have ON and Fast.
Low latency have ON and Ultra.
Tried in on the very sensitive QuakeLive and the first time did nothing for capping and I went *say whot!?*
Shut the game down and tried again, this time it Did cap.
Vsync seems to have improved and activating Gsync+Vsync and Low latency work pretty good though

But with games like that, if there is aaany even extra (measurable) delay then I might go without it though for those kinds of games, but I will test it properly more tomorrow like a chamt and simply eyeball my stats vs all ON, all OFF.
If Gsync and Vsynk is two more steps for signals to go through and be processed then my guess there must be some extra delay? but anyway, see what is best tomorrow.
rfactor2 Def will get the full treatment.
Thanks man

--

The next day: Nope, Asus Tweak ii FPS Cap is better for me.

Last edited by SmajjL; 11-22-2019 at 04:17 AM. Reason: Vsynk? sounds Swedish... :p ;)
Old 11-21-2019, 04:47 AM   #27
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmajjL View Post
I don't own or use FAB but I for some reason though they were on the list of WINEs that worked (well)? you just mean you'd love it to go Native?
Yes, I would love to have fabfilter (and others) as native plugins, still I can live with using them via linvst as I have no other choice