Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 08-22-2017, 05:17 AM   #1
Teacherjulie
Human being with feelings

Default Help Connecting Voicelive3

My dad has always wanted to record, we recently bought him a TC Helcon VoiceLive3 and Reaper. How ever I am having trouble figuring out how to make the connection between the two systems. Is there anyone that can help me get this up and recording. I have voicelive3 drivers installed and it connected to the computer via USB. I have reaper installed but I have no idea what to do next.

Thanks
Julie
Teacherjulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 11:00 AM   #2
ivansc

The biggest problem is likely to be using what is essentially a pre-amp as an audio interface with the computer. The only way you will be able to do it is by plugfging the output of the VoiceLive into the line input on your computers sound card, unless \dad has had the forsight to equip his computer with a "proper" Audio/MIDI interface, which is very unlikely indeed!

Once you have the VL3 plugged in, go to Reaper`s Options/preferences /audio device menu.
In the Audio System box you will see seferal alternative systems, hopefully ONE of them is WASAPI, but if not you can use waveout although performance from that will not be too good.

What you or he really needs to do is to download the free User Guide and also check out the excellent free video tutorials available to download at the top of the page under th "Download" button.
Good luck and yell if you need any more help.
Old 08-23-2017, 01:43 AM   #3
zeekat

Brief glance at the manual tells me it acts as a basic 2-in 2-out USB soundcard. It should be available to select in preferences/audio device section in Reaper if computer sees it.

In case TC doesn't provide own ASIO driver you should download and install free ASIO4ALL for low latency operation.
Old 04-17-2021, 08:42 AM   #4
Juox

Default Looking to Connect Voicelive to Reaper

Hello Guys,

I am in the same situation looking to connect a Voicelive Rack to Reaper, the interface from my Rack units is the same as Voicelive 2.

I have installed the new ASIO4ALL driver, the Voicelive to USB port on the computer, and I have available another Behringer Xenys QX1024 USB mixer.

I have seen videos about using the Cockos Plugin ReaInsert but I am quite lost on how to set up the Voicelive to receive the audio from Reaper and send the processed audio to Reaper again.

Does anybody of you has made the setup of a Voicelive to process recorded vocals?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Best,
Juox.
Juox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 09:14 AM   #5
serr

Any audio device that connects to a host computer with USB is actually an audio interface. These are "combo" style products with the USB audio interface module built in.

That means you treat this like connecting to a USB audio interface.
It will be standard USB 2.0. It doesn't require any pci card adaptation. (Unless you don't have any USB ports at all! Got a thunderbolt/USB-C only sporting laptop? You just need a TB to USB adapter for those.)

Here's the big thing to understand. Following that these devices are actually USB audio interfaces, connecting more than one of these kind of devices is literally using multiple audio interfaces together. This requires creating an aggregate device with your OS audio utility app. Just using a USB mic + your laptop's built-in output is using two audio interfaces together. This is a more complex setup and it's prone to unstable operation with interfaces that don't have word clock or a digital input to sync the sample rate clocks together (eg. all built into the logic board interfaces and all USB combo interface devices)

If you were thinking of using multiple USB 'combo' audio devices together as a simple solution... think again and look at a more pro audio interfaces with the ins and outs you need.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 09:31 AM   #6
Juox

Default Using just the Voice lIve is there any way to process the recorded vocals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
Any audio device that connects to a host computer with USB is actually an audio interface. These are "combo" style products with the USB audio interface module built in.

That means you treat this like connecting to a USB audio interface.
It will be standard USB 2.0. It doesn't require any pci card adaptation. (Unless you don't have any USB ports at all! Got a thunderbolt/USB-C only sporting laptop? You just need a TB to USB adapter for those.)

Here's the big thing to understand. Following that these devices are actually USB audio interfaces, connecting more than one of these kind of devices is literally using multiple audio interfaces together. This requires creating an aggregate device with your OS audio utility app. Just using a USB mic + your laptop's built-in output is using two audio interfaces together. This is a more complex setup and it's prone to unstable operation with interfaces that don't have word clock or a digital input to sync the sample rate clocks together (eg. all built into the logic board interfaces and all USB combo interface devices)

If you were thinking of using multiple USB 'combo' audio devices together as a simple solution... think again and look at a more pro audio interfaces with the ins and outs you need.

Hi Serr,

Eliminating from the equation the Xenyx mixer I mentioned before, and using just the USB interface built-in in the Voice Live Rack is there any suggestion to connect and set up reaper and this device? Supposedly TC Helicon Integrated the USB port to avoid the need for an extra audio interface for processing the vocals, actually they have a video about how to integrate the device, but the video is for Ableton Live: https://youtu.be/zybRG9t3JS0

I have watched videos using the ReaInset plugin in reaper but still, I can't get a setup for making the Voicelive process the recorder vocal and record in another track as should be working.

Thanks in advance.
Juox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 09:56 AM   #7
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juox View Post
Hi Serr,

Eliminating from the equation the Xenyx mixer I mentioned before, and using just the USB interface built-in in the Voice Live Rack is there any suggestion to connect and set up reaper and this device? Supposedly TC Helicon Integrated the USB port to avoid the need for an extra audio interface for processing the vocals, actually they have a video about how to integrate the device, but the video is for Ableton Live: https://youtu.be/zybRG9t3JS0

I have watched videos using the ReaInset plugin in reaper but still, I can't get a setup for making the Voicelive process the recorder vocal and record in another track as should be working.

Thanks in advance.
There should be. They would have had to intentionally not allow an input from the host computer to use the built in DSP. Restricting that to the built in analog mic input or something. Short of intentional restrictions like that, you should be able to run whatever you want through the device. You'll have to download their manual and see how they set up their internal routing features.

Weather or not the built in DSP in the unit is worth using when you have 'skies the limit' ability in Reaper is another question!
serr is offline   Reply With Quote