Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 09-28-2006, 04:55 AM   #1
msly
Human being with feelings

Default Stupidity and Frustration (help needed)

Well here is the story.....

It has been quite awhile since I have done any recording and just dying to get back to it.... All I want to do is record one track at a time right now....and of course be able to hear what I recorded and layer more tracks. I am new to reaper and as of now have not even been able to record one note... now i do realize its due to my lack of knowledge. The setup I am trying to use is a Mackie 1202vlz and a Delta 1010-LT sound card. I am not looking to use all the ins and outs of the card... I play guitar and just looking to multi track some tunes using a combo of midi and audio tracks... but just for now I am just trying to start.... could someone point in the direction of a basic setup.. i know I also am a newbie when it comes to using mixers also.... I was able to get a track to record using Ntrack which I am moving from... but was never able to here what I recorded back through the Mackie.... sorry for the long one... but just dying to start recording.

sLY
msly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 06:01 AM   #2
manning1

sly///
my reply could span pages.
therefore i would suggest you get some kind of book or google on home recording set ups etc.
try this....
mic>>>mackie mic in >>>mackie line out>>>delta line in
have delta stereo out going to your monitoring
(with a headphone jack so you can hear while recording).
if you list what audio monitoring set up you have in detail it would help folks help you.
manning1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 06:34 AM   #3
Art Evans
Mortal

http://www.cockos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2982 might help?
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 06:40 AM   #4
msly

Thanks... I am going to give that one a go....

I will let you know after I get home and try again.... I know it has to do with my lack of knowlege on using a mackie mixer.. I was reading some other stuff on the Mackie forum.... Its those tricky ALT 3/4 setting it has to be.....

sLY
Old 09-28-2006, 06:48 AM   #5
msly

Well that little flash tutorial showed me what I am probably doing wrong in reaper... now once I tame my mackie... i should be good.... From what I can tell I did not enable the AISO settings.... well one step closer... thanks a ton...

sLY
Old 09-28-2006, 06:54 AM   #6
kenn

Some general basic recording help can be found here:
http://audiominds.com/ .

Also, it may help to sort out your ins and outs one step at a time - like first connect your monitoring system and confirm that you can open a WAV file in reaper and play it, then use some sort of line-level signal directly into the Delta to confirm that you have input, you can monitor it, then add the mixer to the system.
kenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 12:36 PM   #7
malcolmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by msly
Well that little flash tutorial showed me what I am probably doing wrong in reaper...
Glad to hear it helped. I will be doing one on using the Track Control Panel (i.e. basic recording) soon.

Cheers,

Malcolm.
malcolmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 12:49 PM   #8
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Malcolmj needs a beating for making such nice videos. My screen cap ones are BIG and ugly and clunky in comparison
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 04:07 PM   #9
Art Evans
Mortal

Ugly can be good - my Reaper theme proves that...
Old 09-29-2006, 05:09 AM   #10
msly

Well last night I was able to do some multi-tracking.... now all i have to do is master audio routing with my Mackie 1202 then I will be set... I found a few good posts on the Mackie site that gave me a good idea but it was a little too late to play around (apartment)... If anyone else is having the same issue with routing sound let me know I could post the links.... Thanks everyone for there help.... atleast maybe I will have a productive weekend....

sLY
Old 09-29-2006, 05:18 AM   #11
Art Evans
Mortal

You should be able to take direct outputs from the back of the Mackie, from each mic preamp, to the individual inputs of the soundcard I think??