Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 03-12-2018, 12:49 PM   #1
elena_2
Human being with feelings

Default Eaten (skipped) note on/note off/CC s during VST playback

Hi, I just waited for the new version to be out (5.77) before posting this (supposed) bug, to be 100% sure it wasn't already discoverd and fixed... I can say I ALWAYS noticed it since I started using Reaper and bought my licence some months ago, therefore I can't say whether it was already present since Reaper's birth or was introduced later...

In short, often (1 out of 100 times ?) but always on an apparently random basis, and without being able to reproduce the problem to date, I am experiencing missed note on events (notes won't play) or note off events (notes won't stop), or even missed CC events (for example, missed pitch bend zero CC therefore the pitch stay wrong and won't reset).

From what I can suspect, this happens somewhere in the pipeline leading to the VSTs instruments very next to it.
I'm saying that because the bug affects both live playing and playback. And when playback is affected, I can verify that the skipped midi event (note on, off, CC,...) IS ACTUALLY recorded in its place instead (in fact, by virtue of the random basis of this problem, I can try playing the indicted part again over and over but hardly I see the problem twice in the same part - at least it seems so).

So, forget that it may be caused by a faulty midi interface or master keyboard...

Oh, this perhaps is interesting... I suspected the problem could be caused maybe by a CPU overload causing Reaper to miss events but no hope: 1) THE PROBLEM AFFECTS THE SAME WAY EVEN THE RENDERING !!! Yes, I even got those missed note on/note off/CC etc even in a rendered audio !! 2) I even tried to disable transmitting the Aftertouch in case and event flooding could be the cause but I experienced the problem anyway 3) Well, the same thing happens even when live-playing (or playing back) a single VST in an empty project containing only it.

So I don't think it has anything to do with synching issues...

The only thing I could not ascertain to date is whether this bug shows up only with x86 (bridged) VST instruments or with native (x64) ones aswell... but given its random basis it is not even so easy to check, considered also that I'm still useing a lot of "old" x86 instruments (many were really good, where I can I try to use only 64 bit ones but that's not always possible sadly).... BUT I *suspect* the former... As soon as I notice the same problem with a x64 plugin I will update my bug report of course.

Is it possible that no one ever experienced the same problem ?
Well, in case it was already discussed here and I simply missed it I apologize in advance... unfortunately my workload does not allow me to spend hours searching the forum, sorry.

My config:
Reaper 5.77
Windows 7 Ultimate 64
Intel Core2 DUO
8 GB RAM
MOTU MicroLite USB Midi interface
Terratec Producer EWS Mic 2 PCI/Rack audio interface

Thanks for your support, and thanks for creating and maintaining Reaper which (despite this problem) is really the BEST DAW I could ever dream of, despite its honest and affordable price !!!
elena_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 11:29 PM   #2
angrymexican563

I've been having the same issue and it's driving me crazy! I believe that all the plugins I use that skip notes are x86 as well.
angrymexican563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 04:33 AM   #3
elena_2

Thank you for commenting, Angrymexican ! I really could not believe I was the only user experiencing this very, very annoying issue !!! There is clearly something very subtle with Reaper causing this problem which should be investigated, but hardly somebody will study the cause since so few people are complaining/experiencing that, it seems
Also, I am 100% sure that with Cubase (I am a former Cubase user now definitely migrated to Reaper) I never experienced this problem (I can't say with other DAWs though).

Anyway, yeah, after months now of regular Reaper usage I can confirm that this bug only affects x86 plugins !

I try to use native x64 plugins wherever possible of course, but there are still lots of cases where I still have to use old good x86 ones which aren't available as x64, because they were simply some great synths (including freeware ones or even stuff I paid for once !!) which I am using regularly and aren't going to be updated or developed any longer...
Old 07-07-2018, 01:53 PM   #4
angrymexican563

I empathize with you. I just keep rendering it and I time select the parts where it skipped and render it again hoping it'll play correctly, then use crossfades to merge it with the other bounces.
angrymexican563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 04:23 AM   #5
elena_2

Thx... Yeah, in fact as I stated previously the bug also affects the renderings !!!
Sometimes it's hard to detect the error, depending on which notes are skipped and when... sometimes else instead (when it is a skipped NOTE_OFF) you ... AARGH ... notice it heavily
Anyway, I have the impression that x86 synths from Native Instruments from the first 21th century decade, like FM7 and Pro-53, are more prone to this issue but I could be wrong.

What is strange instead is (but I'm still investigating the matter) I wrote a x64 synth/effect with SynthEdit (a midi- controlled tuned-delay resonator fx) which seems prone to skip note_on and note_off 's... this would be the only exception to the rule