Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 09-28-2006, 02:36 PM   #1
Justin
Administrator

Default 1.21 -- ReWire, right click marquee, more!

Discuss!

Hope the ReWire works for everybody (if not Propellerheads might hate us).. But on my test system it works as well as the other software I've tested...
Justin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 03:25 PM   #2
stelzbock
Human being with feelings

Wow, Justin, do you sleep regularly?

I will try it as soon as possible! I hope it will work better with FL than VSTi did...

RESPECT

Stelzbock @ myspace:
http://www.myspace.com/stealthmusic
gear/sw:
Reaper, FLStudio, ProjectMix I/O, KRK RP5, Sp B1 Mic, some Intruments
PC: Athlon XP 2,4+, 1,5GB RAM, Matrox Dual Head
stelzbock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 03:26 PM   #3
Dstruct

1. can you please add ALT-click for the marquee in the main-window too (to go conform with the midi-editor)? rightlick + drag works not that good with my trackball ...

2. rewire-options should be hidden (or at least disabled) when no rewire was installed
Dstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 03:50 PM   #4
Art Evans
Mortal

Right-click-drag to marquee some items, right-click to (say) group them, and the selection is lost (reverts to the item you right-clicked on). How should this work?

Edit - ah, shift-right-click solves the problem.

Last edited by Art Evans; 09-28-2006 at 03:54 PM.
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 03:55 PM   #5
Art Evans
Mortal

Rewire - as I've only got ReWire hosts on my system, I'm not going to get any result from ReWire in Reaper I guess?
Old 09-28-2006, 03:58 PM   #6
Justin
Administrator

art, yeah that is kinda crap (shouldnt have to use shift).. will see about fixin'...

I'm going to start on writing the ReWire device support for REAPER too, so you can use it with your hosts..
Old 09-28-2006, 04:05 PM   #7
Art Evans
Mortal

Cheers! Reaper as slave would be good news to some indeed - well, at least to those like me with only hosts!
Old 09-28-2006, 04:17 PM   #8
sinkmusic

Location: decepticon mothership in a hidden place inside a mountain

This right click "marquee" is the sh_t !
Thank you !
And, as i read, v121 looks really yummy !
sinkmusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 04:43 PM   #9
Rednroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Evans
Cheers! Reaper as slave would be good news to some indeed - well, at least to those like me with only hosts!

Time to start hammering on those other slacker developers who keep saying their app has "Rewire Support" when it's only half there....Hello, Sonar..Cubase...Nuendo....ProTools....N-Track...time to get with the program!!!
Rednroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 04:50 PM   #10
cebec

I'm still really loving REAPER and the Akoustic themes are so great!
cebec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 05:10 PM   #11
gb156

I have been waiting for ReWire support before trying Reaper, thus, 1.21 is my first Reaper experience. Please excuse my ignorance where applicable.

Since Reaper is the host, and Reason is the slave, I have been starting Reaper first, then Reason. Is this correct?

So far, I have started a new project, inserted a track, then added ReWire Reason as an FX. When I press play, nothing happens. However, after inserting an empty event, the Reason song will play for the extent of the empty event. Is this correct?

During song playback, Reaper is only playing the first millisecond of the Reason track's events. For instance, if one has a piano track in Reason, only the intial attack of the note is heard during song playback. However, if the playback is stopped, and you play the note, it will sound correctly. The Reaper demo song plays fine.

Any ideas?

Last edited by gb156; 09-29-2006 at 04:05 AM.
gb156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 05:10 PM   #12
billybk1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin
Discuss!

Hope the ReWire works for everybody (if not Propellerheads might hate us).. But on my test system it works as well as the other software I've tested...
Hey Justin, I just checked out ACID Pro 6:

Pro:
ACID is recognized as a rewire device and can be opened in REAPER, as a rewire slave and in rewire device mode (transport).
I am able to audition loops through the Explorer View, add loops to the ACID timeline and then click and drag them to the desired length. The audio from ACID, when auditioning through the Loop Explorer is fed to REAPER and you can see the rewire audio track's level meter move, as the ACID loop is auditioned. When I adjust the begin and end project loop points in either app they both follow. When you click on the timline, of each app the other follows. So far so good.

Con:
Unfortunately, once you drag media to the ACID timeline and press "Play", on either (REAPER or ACID) transport, only REAPER's Now time moves forward. ACID's Now time jerks forward and then resets back to 00:00:00 and of course no ACID audio is heard. So it seems, at least, in ACID that the transports are not in sync with each other.

Just to be sure, I also checked SONAR 6, using ACID Pro 6, as a rewire slave and the rewire is working, as it should with full transport control. Now times of each app remain is tight sync (M:B:T)

Cheers,

Billy Buck
billybk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 06:23 PM   #13
kenn

OK I'm coming out here... I've never used ReWire.

(pause for gasps of horror, nervous laughter, a couple of people using this break to head to the bar)

I grasp the basic idea (MIDI + audio linking between apps) ... just never used it. Can someone point me to a "ReWire for Dummies" link?
kenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 08:18 PM   #14
Jed

Hi J - an important step in REAPERS's development!

Just quickly checked for you with 3 slaves:

Reason: Transport works OK but if you record midi within Reason, the notes are clipped on playback. If you record via midi in from Reaper, the midi notes stick.

P5V2 : the transport isn't working at all

Live : Transport works OK but when you try to record from the session view to the arrange view it doesn't work

Getting close though

Cheers
Jed
Jed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 10:37 PM   #15
olzzon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandruff
1. can you please add ALT-click for the marquee in the main-window too (to go conform with the midi-editor)? rightlick + drag works not that good with my trackball ...

2. rewire-options should be hidden (or at least disabled) when no rewire was installed
If your right click doesn´t work for you, you should check out Mac.
It way simpler. More intuitive, only one button.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:31 PM   #16
kLyon

To confirm, midi notes remain on. And something I can't figure out: you can receive the additional audio channels (on another track)from the track having rewire, but you can't send the midi from the same track (at least I can't figure out how...) In other words, to add an additional reason part takes two tracks: one to send the midi, one to receive the audio. This couldn't be right. Is it broken, or am I doing something wrong? As soon as you put a send -- for midi -- onto a track carrying the other tracks of audio, the audio stops.
kLyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 11:45 PM   #17
kLyon

addition: And you can't seem to rechannelize (midi) output, so you can't even use the track holding Reason to send midi to other modules, with the audio to return on other tracks. In tracktion you just add instances of rewire (as filters) onto as many tracks as you need. In Reaper only one track can get it, it seems...
What am I missing? Or is it just early in the game?

Last edited by kLyon; 09-29-2006 at 12:18 AM.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:17 AM   #18
EnzymeX

Justin,

I'm rewiring P5v2 into Reaper and I only see two rewire audio outputs in Reaper (main 1/2) instead of the usual sixteen or so I see in my other hosts (individual track outputs from P5v2)

How can I see all the rewire audio outputs?

<<EDIT: I Don't think this is Reaper issue - I no longer see my individual P5 rewire audio outputs in my other hosts either. Time to reinstall P5 apparently...>>

Last edited by EnzymeX; 09-29-2006 at 12:43 AM.
EnzymeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 12:25 AM   #19
Art Evans
Mortal

Quote:
Or is it just early in the game?
Given the very short time since Justin got the ReWire go-ahead, I'd expect this release to be pretty much an alpha let alone a beta in respect of ReWire. But I don't doubt it will be smoothed out pretty fast.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:59 AM   #20
sinkmusic

Location: decepticon mothership in a hidden place inside a mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenn
Can someone point me to a "ReWire for Dummies" link?
I think you're not the only one.
I'm not an expert me neither.
Any useful link could be put in the REaper manual forum section, maybe ?
sinkmusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 03:12 AM   #21
Dstruct

Quote:
Originally Posted by olzzon
really useful
Dstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 04:21 AM   #22
gb156

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenn
OK I'm coming out here... I've never used ReWire.

(pause for gasps of horror, nervous laughter, a couple of people using this break to head to the bar)

I grasp the basic idea (MIDI + audio linking between apps) ... just never used it. Can someone point me to a "ReWire for Dummies" link?
You already understand ReWire. Midi/audio linking and syncronization between programs is ReWire's function. The host program controls the tempo and time signature, but transport controls for either program can be used.

Here is the Propellerhead ReWire description page.
Old 09-29-2006, 07:41 AM   #23
yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinkmusic
I think you're not the only one.
I'm not an expert me neither.
Any useful link could be put in the REaper manual forum section, maybe ?
Rewire is about a million times easier to use than it is to explain.

Here's a typical example:

1. You have some software (such as Reason, for instance) with limited audio capabilities, but it has a collection of sounds and easy looping and sequencing features that you really like, so you want to write and perform songs in that software.

2. Now, let's say you also want to do some audio-intensive stuff like recording some real instruments, or more detailed editing and mixing stuff. Reason doesn't do this well. Reaper does. But Reaper doesn't have nearly the midi and softsynth capabilities of Reason. So the question is, how can you work in both at the same time?

3. Enter Rewire. You can now open both Reaper and Reason and have the outputs from Reason feeding inputs in Reaper, you can record, mix, edit, bus all your Reason tracks in Reaper AND record real instruments in Reaper AND have everything synchronized so when you hit play in either software both start playing from the selected time, and everything is cool.

Using rewire is stupid simple. The first time you try it, you'll just get it.

Cheers.
yep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 09:17 AM   #24
BoxOfSnoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by olzzon
I have 6 buttons on mine, including the wheel. Which one is the one button you are talking about? HELP!!

A one-button Mac mouse is like XPs built in CD burning. Anyone who really wants to use it, replaces it. Windows doesn't even come with a mouse at all (anymore)!
Old 09-29-2006, 10:12 AM   #25
olzzon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxOfSnoo
I have 6 buttons on mine, including the wheel. Which one is the one button you are talking about? HELP!!

A one-button Mac mouse is like XPs built in CD burning. Anyone who really wants to use it, replaces it. Windows doesn't even come with a mouse at all (anymore)!
My fault, it was just a bad, sarcastic joke. Because everyone want the program to act precisly as they wan´t.
Wrong place to do that. Sorry.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:07 AM   #26
funkster1

Definetely Rewire in REAPER seems not mature yet.
I have rewired REASON 3.0.4 into Reaper this afternoon, creating a small project I already started in Reason a while back. So I created 8 tracks or so, the 1st housing the rewire slave (Reason) with 16 channels to be able to route diff. Reason dev. to diff. tracks.
Now when I play the project (doesn't matter if I press play in Reason or Reaper), all I get is some kind of "cut into pieces" audio streams.

HERE'S an .mp3 of this. First part is rendered from Reason as intended and then it crossfades into what I get when I rewire the same Reason project into Reaper.

Does someone else have similar troubles? Other oddities?
Let me know please if you do, or if you've got some tips to better the performance (from a technical standpoint, artistically I know that this piece of music is a bit shitty ).

Cheers
Raphael
funkster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 11:12 AM   #27
kenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by yep
Rewire is about a million times easier to use than it is to explain

Using rewire is stupid simple. The first time you try it, you'll just get it.
Thanks for ReWire notes and links, folks! I relate well to stupid AND simple, so I should get it quickly!
kenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 11:37 AM   #28
BoxOfSnoo

Default Beta

I wonder if this release should have been beta... It would be good to be able to grab a release and know it's stable and we can work with it, no matter what. Or maybe something like a Linux version numbering scheme, with odd numbers being development and even being stable...?

I know you need to get the app out there for users to test...

BTW, very cool marquee, once I figured out what in the world it was (other apps often call this "lasso")
Old 09-29-2006, 12:35 PM   #29
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkster1
Definetely Rewire in REAPER seems not mature yet.
I have rewired REASON 3.0.4 into Reaper this afternoon, creating a small project I already started in Reason a while back. So I created 8 tracks or so, the 1st housing the rewire slave (Reason) with 16 channels to be able to route diff. Reason dev. to diff. tracks.
Now when I play the project (doesn't matter if I press play in Reason or Reaper), all I get is some kind of "cut into pieces" audio streams.HERE'S an .mp3 of this. First part is rendered from Reason as intended and then it crossfades into what I get when I rewire the same Reason project into Reaper.

Does someone else have similar troubles? Other oddities?
Let me know please if you do, or if you've got some tips to better the performance (from a technical standpoint, artistically I know that this piece of music is a bit shitty ).

Cheers
Raphael
That's a great clip haha.. umm, is the time signature in REAPER set to the same as the project was in Reason?

I'm testing tons of routing stuff with the Reason 3 demo here and it works great.. perhaps you want to post your project for me to try?

-Justin
Old 09-29-2006, 12:55 PM   #30
kLyon

If routing is working as intended right now, does that mean that the final implementation is the same as Sonar's, and it will take two tracks for every part -- one to send the midi, the other to receive audio -- if you don't want everything coming back in a single stereo mix?
If so, que lastima and please re-evaluate. Trackion's method is much better: each track can have it's own -- referral to? -- Reason to send to and receive from on whatever channel.

(Or am I just setting something wrong: see previous post...)
Old 09-29-2006, 01:10 PM   #31
marce

Quote:
Originally Posted by kLyon
If routing is working as intended right now, does that mean that the final implementation is the same as Sonar's, and it will take two tracks for every part -- one to send the midi, the other to receive audio -- if you don't want everything coming back in a single stereo mix?
If so, que lastima and please re-evaluate. Trackion's method is much better: each track can have it's own -- referral to? -- Reason to send to and receive from on whatever channel.

(Or am I just setting something wrong: see previous post...)
Rebirth, that now is freeware, is not rewire enabled? That can help to the ones that one to know/test rewire in reaper...
marce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 01:15 PM   #32
funkster1

Cheers Justin,
glad you like that clip *lol*.
About sending you the project, I'd love to, alas the samples and patches used are not from the Reason included refills. Also in the demo you only have a very limited range of patches, which would make playback of my projects impossible. That's what's not so cool about "Closed Source" stuff, as there's no way to 'extract' these patches/samples. Maybe you could send me a project that works on your machine though, as I'm sure to have all necessary patches from the demo refill.

I'll try tweaking some more and/or resetting the "reaper.ini" once more to see if it gets better. I'm really out of luck it seems with Reaper. Dunno why.

Raphael

P.S.: Forgot to say; of course I'm using the same time signature in both Reason & Reaper (4/4).

Last edited by funkster1; 09-29-2006 at 01:19 PM.
funkster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 01:20 PM   #33
Justin
Administrator

I've mostly been building things in the Reason demo that I cannot save, or modifying the demos included to route the multiple outputs etc.. perhaps try the demos like "TGM-TheRedShirt" or whatnot...

oh, and also the same BPM right?
Old 09-29-2006, 01:29 PM   #34
Jed

Hi Justin

Confirming that 'The Red Shirt' demo plays back fine when Reason is the slave.

BUT

Try starting with a blank Reason project, then add a bass or piano or something. Then actually record in some midi notes via a midi keyboard or hand enter into Reason's piano roll. Then play back through Reaper and you should hear the audio clipping we are describing.

Cheers
Jed
Old 09-29-2006, 02:14 PM   #35
gb156

TGM - The Red Shirt does not play properly for me. Some of the audio is clipping. Try this:

Setup a loop between measures 33 and 35.
Solo the DR Rex device named "rex1xtrabeat".
Press play. The samples play clipped.
While it is playing, go to the note editing window in Reason, and press and hold on "Slice #3". You should hear the full sample.

I just noticed that when the play is stopped, the play line/scrolling line in Reason will snap back to measure 1, but it stays in the correct place in Reaper. However, upon restarting the playback, the play line/scrolling line in Reason goes to the correct place.

Also note that the measure values do not match. Reason has a start/end of 32.4.4/34.4.4 while Reaper shows 32.04.99/35.01.00.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:28 PM   #36
Justin
Administrator

try 1.22, should fix a bunch of issues
Old 09-29-2006, 02:32 PM   #37
Ibaxx

the right click is the best feature...!!!
Ibaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 02:45 PM   #38
Jed

awesome! looking good here so far on Reason, P5V2 and Live - the transport and audio clipping problems are gone

Superb job Justin as per usual

Cheers
Jed
Old 09-29-2006, 02:50 PM   #39
olzzon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin
try 1.22, should fix a bunch of issues
It says 1.21 when i run 1.22 but the installer tells it´s 1.22

The cursor jump to zero still exist in 1.22 and reason for me.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:59 PM   #40
billybk1

I am still getting the same transport issue in ACID Pro 6 with the latest 1.22 update. The Now time does not move in sync with REAPER when you press play. It stays at or about 00:00:00. It will jerk forward momentarily then reset back to 00:00:00. If you try starting playback past 00:00:00, it will immediately fall back to 00:00:00 and stay there, as REAPER continues to play on.

Cheers,

Billy Buck
billybk1 is offline   Reply With Quote