Old 10-02-2006, 02:48 PM   #1
Rednroll
Human being with feelings

Default Rewire in Reaper with Acid Pro 6?

I was just attempting to try out Rewire in Reaper. I'm on my laptop, which currently only has the built in Sound Card with a .Wav driver.

Currently I'm having all kinds of problems getting Acid to be rewired to Reaper in v1.22.

Acid Rewired to Reaper problems:
1. When adding Acid as a Rewired device it will launch a new instance of Acid. Well if I'm currently working on an Acid project and I have Reaper and Acid open at the same time, then I probably don't need a new instance of Acid being opened.

2. If I have Acid closed and then choose to have Acid to be a Rewired app, it launches Acid and I get an Exception error in Acid and Acid closes out.

3. Occassionally I don't get the error in Acid when Reaper launches it. Then what i see the cursor in Acid not responding for playback, but the Acid time display is being updated with what is seen in Reaper, and eventually Acid will Crash.

Reaper Rewired to Acid problem:
I also tried out the v1.23 preview and Reaper shows up in Acid as an available Rewire device. So I rewire Reaper to Acid and Reaper does nothing. It doesn't respond to any of Acid's transport controls.

Last edited by Rednroll; 10-02-2006 at 02:54 PM.
Rednroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 02:55 PM   #2
Justin
Administrator

So for REAPER as a slave, you need to launch reaper in slave mode, which you can do from Acid (the buttons to open/close "panel"), or by running reaper.exe -rewire.

As far as REAPER hosting acid, I'm pretty sure you'll need to quit Acid and restart it (or start it from REAPER) to put it into ReWire slave mode..
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 03:28 PM   #3
Rednroll

Hmmm??? This is very strange in Regards to Rewiring Acid to Reaper. Sometimes it works and I did it like you mentioned of closing out Acid. What I just experienced is that Acid syncs with Reaper, and Audio is present on Acid's Master out. (It's the only bus output that i have in this Acid Project). Then I see no input on the Reaper track, although Acid is responding to Reaper's transport. This is for the first playback. Then if I rewind to the start using Reapers transport, then Acid never responds again. So the first play thru it is almost working, but on consecutive playbacks, nothing works.

Have you tried it with Acid and experienced it working properly?
Old 10-02-2006, 03:51 PM   #4
malcolmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednroll
Acid Rewired to Reaper problems:
1. When adding Acid as a Rewired device it will launch a new instance of Acid. Well if I'm currently working on an Acid project and I have Reaper and Acid open at the same time, then I probably don't need a new instance of Acid being opened.
That's the way ReWire works. You must open the Host application first, then the Slave application from within the Host. The ReWire session can't initiate an application that's already open.

Quote:
2. If I have Acid closed and then choose to have Acid to be a Rewired app, it launches Acid and I get an Exception error in Acid and Acid closes out.

3. Occassionally I don't get the error in Acid when Reaper launches it. Then what i see the cursor in Acid not responding for playback, but the Acid time display is being updated with what is seen in Reaper, and eventually Acid will Crash.
Bummer. Reason and FL Studio seem to be rock-solid. I must download the ACID demo and see if I can get it to work.

Cheers,

Malcolm.
malcolmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 04:53 PM   #5
Rednroll

I understand the part that the Host must be started first. The way I've done this in the past, was to Open the Host then the Slave app. Then after both apps are open I then select to add a slave device in the Host.

It works this way in Acid, Live and Sonar. All of which I have used as Rewire hosts before.

The only stipulation that I'm aware of is that the HOST must be opened first. There's no other stipulation that the Slave must be launched from within the Host that I am aware of. Reaper is the first host that I have with this stipulation, so I'm going to have to assume that the Reaper implementaion is incorrect at this time.

Last edited by Rednroll; 10-02-2006 at 05:02 PM.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:10 PM   #6
malcolmj

Quote:
I understand the part that the Host must be started first. The way I've done this in the past, was to Open the Host then the Slave app. Then after both apps are open I then select to add a slave device in the Host.

It works this way in Acid, Live and Sonar. All of which I have used as Rewire hosts before.

The only stipulation that I'm aware of is that the HOST must be opened first. There's no other stipulation that the Slave must be launched from within the Host that I am aware of. Reaper is the first host that I have with this stipulation, so I'm going to have to assume that the Reaper implementaion is incorrect at this time.
Nope, Justin has implemented it correctly. To quote from the Propellerheads documentation:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propellerheads "How to Use ReWire" documentation

When you start a ReWire session, it's important that you do things in the correct order:

1. Launch the audio sequencer (mixer application) and make sure your system is properly set up and connected (so that you can hear the audio output from the mixer application).

<edit>

2. Activate at least one ReWire channel in the mixer application.

<edit>

3. 3. Now launch Reason - the synth application.

When you launch Reason with a mixer application running and ReWire activated, the following happens:

* Reason will sense that ReWire is activated. Instead of using the standard audio settings you have made in Reason, it will route all audio via ReWire to the mixer application.
<edit>
Cheers,

Malcolm.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:52 PM   #7
Rednroll

So I guess this is the part where I have to prove you wrong huh?

Step1: Launch Acid 6
Step2: Launch Live 5

Step3: Add Live5 as a rewire slave in Acid6 (See bus get added in Acid labeld Live5)
Step4: Hit Play in Acid or Live and see audio on Acid's bus coming from Live.

Now I've done this with rewiring Reason TO Acid also. I've also done these same steps using Sonar, and Live as Hosts also. So now please explain to me if Reaper is doing it the right way, then why am I able to do it the wrong way in all these other hosts without any problems?
Old 10-02-2006, 05:58 PM   #8
malcolmj

Quote:
So I guess this is the part where I have to prove you wrong huh?
Wow. What's to "prove wrong"?

You stated that you assumed REAPER's implementation was incorrect, and I simply posted the documentation from Propellerheads to show that the way Justin has implemented matched their standard. I wasn't attempting to "prove you wrong" Red.

Quote:
Now I've done this with rewiring Reason TO Acid also. I've also done these same steps using Sonar, and Live as Hosts also. So now please explain to me if Reaper is doing it the right way, then why am I able to do it the wrong way in all these other hosts without any problems?
Sounds to me that they don't implement the standard correctly ...

Cheers,

Malcolm.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:03 PM   #9
Rednroll

Malcolm,
Do you have the Rewire SDK sitting infront of you? I'm telling you how it is implemented in a majority of hosts out there to try and improve Reaper's implementation. The post you quoted is a suggestion of running Rewire....it is NOT a specification. What I'm telling you is that the Reaper implementation is different from every host I've ever used in a Rewire configuration. If Reaper's implementation was better than the other hosts, then I wouldn't be saying anything....but it's NOT. So what is the point you're trying to make because, I'm just not getting it.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:20 PM   #10
Justin
Administrator

rednroll, most of the other rewire supporting slaves will detect if a rewire "mixer" is running, and automatically run in ReWire slave mode. This behavior often bothers me, so I didnt make it do that. If a rewire "mixer" is running and you want to launch REAPER as a rewire slave, you can run it with the -rewire parameter, which is available in the start menu as well. If this is too much work for you, I can make an option for autodetecting a rewire mixer and going into slave mode... let me know.

-Justin
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 06:34 PM   #11
Rednroll

Thanks Justin,
That is exactly what I have noticed after a little investigation, that the slave device automatically recognizes that a rewire hosts mixer is present and it then selects the rewire driver as it's audio driver.

Yes, I think that option should be made available. Probably as a default since it seems to be common between most rewire slave devices. I'm sure there are others like me that would expect it to act that way. I also understand the need to have it the other way now, so you could share an audio driver and go back and forth between apps without having them rewired together.

Last edited by Rednroll; 10-02-2006 at 06:38 PM.