Old 03-18-2013, 09:51 PM   #1
shangsean
Human being with feelings

Default 2 dark-ish ambient-ish tracks

Two tracks here. Both of them are along the same lines and are meant to go together.

Through the Pain is probably the more ambient of the two. Delusions is the more melodic. They are both fairly dark/mysterious.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks for listening.

https://soundcloud.com/shangsean/delusions

https://soundcloud.com/shangsean/through-the-pain
shangsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:58 PM   #2
TheScruffyOne

I like these tracks a lot, especially the gamelan style of delusions. What do you use to get those massive, cavernous reverbs?
TheScruffyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:10 PM   #3
HugoRibeiroDotCom

Very dark indeed!

cheers
HugoRibeiroDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:46 PM   #4
smueske

Really dig the first track (that's all I listened to). Great song, and a nice dark, but melodic feel.
smueske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:01 AM   #5
shangsean

Thanks for the replies and I'm glad you liked the tracks.

As for the reverbs, I only used Eareverb on Through the Pain. On Delusions I used a mix of Eareverb and B2, but I think it was still mainly Eareverb as I purchased B2 while I was working on the track. The big cavernous reverb at the end of Delusions was definitely B2.

I can recommend both. Eareverb is extremely natural sounding and pretty good on cpu. I use it on pretty much everything. B2 is more creative, but heavier on cpu. It's also pricey, but you get a lot of creative potential for your money. With these two, I feel I have my reverb needs covered (until the next one comes along).
Old 03-21-2013, 02:21 PM   #6
chromatican

At work atm, so I only had time to listen to half of track one, but I like! Really great work here, keep it up!
chromatican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:27 AM   #7
msore

I really am getting confused these days (not just with you)
about the meanings of the words
"dark" and "ambient".

But while I didn't particularly consume Delusion with dark or ambient appetites, I loved it. The syncopations and sound juxtapositions pushed me along without letting me free. I loved the sounds and their development with kind of a bright and foregrounded happiness! Thanks.

Last edited by msore; 03-22-2013 at 09:34 AM.
msore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:19 PM   #8
shangsean

Quote:
Originally Posted by msore View Post
I really am getting confused these days (not just with you)
about the meanings of the words
"dark" and "ambient".

But while I didn't particularly consume Delusion with dark or ambient appetites, I loved it. The syncopations and sound juxtapositions pushed me along without letting me free. I loved the sounds and their development with kind of a bright and foregrounded happiness! Thanks.
I understand your confusion, which is why I added the "ish". Personally. I think of ambient of as being waves of sound washing over me, lacking much melodic content. I would say the other track is more ambient than Delusions, but I don't know where Delusions fits exactly. In my head I was going for a sort of mysterious atmosphere. I'm not sure if that comes across to you or not. It's about being positive in the face of hopelessness. So maybe the idea is darker for me than the actual musical content. Thanks a lot for taking the time to listen and comment.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:30 PM   #9
Dafinga

Listened to both. I preferred "Through the Pain", which at parts was very trippy. I especially liked the bubbly sound at the beginning - nice atmosphere. I also really like the airy sound that comes after that. I did feel, however, that the track contained three distinct sections, with little relation to each other - which felt a little odd for such a short track. "Delusions" is a good track but it didn't grab me personally - I wasn't able to get lost in the soundscape. Perhaps a bit more dark boomy textures would grab me more. It could also be because as a Javanese gamelan player I don't usually enjoy other types of music that use similar modes (just a personal thing there). Overall interesting work though.
Dafinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:19 AM   #10
shangsean

Thanks for the feedback. The idea for Through the Pain was to shift between calm and panic/uneasiness. To me, the sections are connected, but we all interpret things differently. Thanks again for listening and offering some useful opinions.