hopi
Human being with feelings

Default DEV's PLEASE?????

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=193782

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=138043

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=88947

apparently it's been a bug known about for a long time and it still exists and
it is driving me crazy....

I know this is not the place to post it but I'm desperate to have it fixed...

So many new wonderful features but stuff like this seems to have gotten lost in the process to move forward....

Can't say it enough.... PLEASE, PLEASE... x1000

Last edited by hopi; 07-09-2017 at 02:06 PM.
hopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 02:14 AM   #2
ivansc

Just checking - your previous stuff refers to v4 themes. IS this still a bug in 5+ using 5 themes? Cant say it has ever reared its head for me but there again I tend to stick to one theme and dont get too adventurous.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:38 AM   #3
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Its debatable whether this is a bug, apparently, but not to me. I think it is a bug and I think it should be fixed. Is it a critical bug? Nah. click on the superfluous folder icon and it goes away. But its sloppy.

It is present in all themes and on all versions as far as I'm aware. Its very, very old.

I want this fixed. Posting about it in the pre-release forum only serves to undermine your credibility and that of the bug report. You don't want that and neither do I. So. Cough.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:47 AM   #4
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Just putting the counter argument here, since its a while since anyone made it:

You uncreate (no, that's not a word) a folder. The end folder state remains as a placeholder so you can then recreate that folder, either from the same root track or another.

There are workflow reasons for this, there are people who like it. So its not a bug. But its behaviour is unexpected if you didn't know about it, so IMO its a design bug.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:16 AM   #5
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
Just putting the counter argument here, since its a while since anyone made it:

You uncreate (no, that's not a word) a folder. The end folder state remains as a placeholder so you can then recreate that folder, either from the same root track or another.

There are workflow reasons for this, there are people who like it. So its not a bug. But its behaviour is unexpected if you didn't know about it, so IMO its a design bug.
Seems like a good compromise would be to keep the current behaviour, but show a "folder" and make it clear that the status of the original folder has changed to a place-holder?
Maybe colour it purple and yellow diagonal stripes?

I`ll get me coat....
Old 07-10-2017, 01:02 PM   #6
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Set yourself up a dummy project with 6 or so tracks in a folder. Then put the forth & fifth tracks in a folder of the third. Now; prepare to click some folder end icons, but before you do, predict what will happen. OK, now do it. Now try the experiment with some tracks that are the end track of a nested set of 2 folders. Are you predicting correctly?

I've done these tests with real people; surprisingly few get it right. So there is a problem here. But but but. ...there are experienced Reaper users who do, and its part of their workflow.

Pick the bones out of that.
Old 07-10-2017, 01:07 PM   #7
vitalker

WT, what about this?
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:26 AM   #8
hopi

White Tie and all...

I think there is more to it... I know you are likely the authority on themes and their bugs, and I am not... but have a look:

I have three png file for folders... one is just the straight 'bar', one is the first folder triangle and the other is the last folder triangle [opposite of the first]

So I would expect two things:

1-when a given folder is the last in the structure, it should get the reversed triangle

2- when a 'non folder track' exists between various folders it should not get any of the png's that indicate folders...

so to me, this is a bug and if one bothers to use all three possible folder png's as unique images it clearly shows up...

IMHO, in the image shown, track 4 should have two of the last track triangles and so should track 8 and track 5 should have nothing

It would really be nice to have the visual logic actually work.
Old 07-11-2017, 04:11 AM   #9
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
WT, what about this?
I'm not entirely sure what you're showing me there, but I believe its still the orphan folder icon that gets left behind, as discussed. Weird? For sure. Wrong? Depends who you ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
I have three png file for folders... one is just the straight 'bar', one is the first folder triangle and the other is the last folder triangle [opposite of the first]
Absolutely, but that's a completely different thing. The folder_end indicator is a relic IMO, since it shows at the lowest level last folder, as you note. (remove all three folder_* images to see the code folder indent stuff acts; we're just skinning that.) My solution is as it has been for many years : don't use it, just make it a clone of folder_indent. And that's fine, isn't it? Do you have a situation where it isn't clear where the end of an indented set of folders is?

Please don't infer that I'm saying all the folder interaction is perfect. I'm not. However, I'm willing to continue this discussion because there is clearly copious room for improvement, but I'd like to ask that you confirm that you're not going to hijack the pre-release again, it has been discussed on other websites that doing just that is the way to get attention from the devs (and some of those people don't realise that I'm not one of them), and I'm sure you would want to join me in making it clear that is not what is going on here. Protecting the efficiency of the pre forum is in all our best interests, after all.
Old 07-16-2017, 11:38 AM   #10
hopi

Quote:
Absolutely, but that's a completely different thing. The folder_end indicator is a relic IMO, since it shows at the lowest level last folder, as you note. (remove all three folder_* images to see the code folder indent stuff acts; we're just skinning that.) My solution is as it has been for many years : don't use it, just make it a clone of folder_indent. And that's fine, isn't it? Do you have a situation where it isn't clear where the end of an indented set of folders is?
sorry but I don't agree.... I understand the 'workaround' but I want the folder end [last track in folder] to be able to use it's own custom png file properly...

I know ..ya can't always get what ya want... whatever...

Ok so about not 'hacking' the pre release thread.... sure, sure... signed in triplicate and cc'd to NASA, FBI and M6