Old 09-11-2018, 06:11 AM   #961
MRMJP
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyp24 View Post
OK, thanks, that's fairly straightforward....

When you Save the new version in RX, does that automatically replace the Item in the Reaper timeline? And if so, how do you later revert to the original?

Thanks
Andy
If I have time today I'll switch it back to RX6 and show you a video but when an item copy is made in REAPER, it shows up on the timeline like another take.

So after you run the custom action I showed, a copy is automatically opened in RX and RX is also automatically opened/focused for you.

Make the RX edit, save and close the file and toggle back to REAPER.

Now in REAPER you can see the original audio and the copied and fixed audio for this section.

Here is what a section of a song looks like with a few RX edits. If I wanted to get back to the original audio I could just select the first take instead of the 2nd in that section:

Old 09-11-2018, 07:09 AM   #962
Arionas

This is great Justin. Thanks for the tip!
Old 09-11-2018, 07:11 AM   #963
Arionas

Do you know guys if we can save presets for spectral edits?
If this is not possible right know, then it's a request!
At least, the ability to copy-paste spectral edits between items
Old 09-11-2018, 07:28 AM   #964
MRMJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arionas View Post
I'm not sure. I played with REAPER spectral edits when they first came out but I have since forgotten about them because RX is so advanced and easy to integrate with REAPER.

I do remember the need for having spectral edit presets though...something you know works well for plosives, ticks, thumps, etc. and then you can fine tune as needed.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:30 AM   #965
MRMJP

Quote:
This is great Justin. Thanks for the tip!
No problem, when I can share a video you'll see how fast it can be done. Due to REAPER's efficiency, even at 96k, it seems faster to do it this way than Pro Tools AudioSuite render which as mentioned, doesn't give you any spectral GUI and also, not all of RX's modules are available as AudioSuite so this is really the best solution I know of.

It's faster than RX Connect as well.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:05 AM   #966
SubbaseDnB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRMJP View Post
I don't mind having to script really personal workflow specific stuff as I have been doing for 2 years but there are some mastering workflow things REAPER really needs to be a more viable option for the average user looking for a good mastering DAW.

Also, I'm not talking about plugins, which I think many non-mastering engineers think of when they think of mastering features. There are plenty of 3rd party plugins at our disposal for this.

I'm talking workflow things that DAWs like WaveLab, Sequoia, Studio One Project Mode, etc. have dialed in that are very specific to the mastering process.

I don't think anything I mentioned in the initial mastering thread is too specific to myself. That stuff I take care of by having people script things and so far, all of the 3rd party scripts have been rock solid so that is encouraging.

Most of the stuff I mentioned is part of what makes a mastering DAW a mastering DAW and most that can't be scripted. Some native solutions are needed.

i wasent talking about more new plugins,(I have all the plugins i need,was talking about more Mastering specific features being intergrated full blown into Reaper itself
SubbaseDnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:32 AM   #967
MRMJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubbaseDnB View Post
i wasent talking about more new plugins,(I have all the plugins i need,was talking about more Mastering specific features being intergrated full blown into Reaper itself
Right, I was referring to people that are doing mastering more casually or just few times per year. Not the folks that do mastering 24/7.

I understand that you get it
Old 09-13-2018, 10:22 AM   #968
MRMJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyp24 View Post
Care to share the detailed workflow / custom action? This'd be useful for me, but I've never spent the time figuring out how to make it work efficiently.

Cheers
Now that RX7 is released I can show you this video too:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vcvgk39tvw...ation.mov?dl=0

The first time I go to RX in the video it's slow because RX had to initially open but once you have RX open, it's very fast to go between REAPER and RX doing spot repairs.
Old 09-13-2018, 06:24 PM   #969
CDS

Version 6, I don't expect to see any earth shaking difference, as it was very little changes between ver. 4 & ver. 5.

Why have versions, after x number of updates people need to open their wallets again.
CDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 06:36 PM   #970
Glennbo

For version 6, I'd like to see a native WINE to REAPER bridge, so if I can successfully get a Windows plugin installed in WINE, then all I gotta do is fire up the native Linux version of REAPER and it finds them.

There, I said it out loud!!!
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 07:53 PM   #971
cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDS View Post
Version 6, I don't expect to see any earth shaking difference, as it was very little changes between ver. 4 & ver. 5.
Unfortunately, there is a high probability of this.

But, in the REAPER there are many things that users require or things, already have, but are very outdated. Other DAWs do not stand still and I would not want the REAPER to lag behind in small things.
cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 08:55 PM   #972
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool View Post
Unfortunately, there is a high probability of this.
Happily there is a high probability of this.

A big change is like switching to another DAW. Who wants a big change is likely to do so, as here (s)he would be able to check out what (s)he gets before actually switching.

Continuous evolution is a lot more convenient and safe. Hence a late 4.x should be very similar to an early 5.x and a late 5.x should be very similar to an early 6.x.

New might be cool, but not necessarily advantageous.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 09:09 PM   #973
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
For version 6, I'd like to see a native WINE to REAPER bridge, so if I can successfully get a Windows plugin installed in WINE, then all I gotta do is fire up the native Linux version of REAPER and it finds them.

There, I said it out loud!!!
I did say it out loud right when I found that there is a pre of Reaper for Linux
I suppose this is not exactly easy to do, but I suppose Justin does like such challenges
This in place would be a big push for Reaper in live and embedded application. Maybe somebody would come up with a successor for the deceased Muse Receptor series; based on Reaper for Linux
I do use a decent set of JSFXes that converts Reaper (on Windows) in a Receptor-like thingy, working "on stage" without monitor, mouse and computer keyboard

-Michael
Old 09-14-2018, 12:22 PM   #974
buttmunkey

I simply wish there were a simple way to prepay for the version 6.0 through 7.99 that automatically keeps the licence in effect. \

It reminds me of the old joke" How do you keep a moron in suspense?"

A "I'll tell you tomorrow."

I just hate waiting. I havent recorded much in a while but with Cakewalk gone Reapr is really the only game in town. Running back to Cakewalk whe I find myself stumped just wont work.
So please let us pay for 6.0 now. We are SOOOO close.
buttmunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 12:30 PM   #975
DeathByGuitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttmunkey View Post
I simply wish there were a simple way to prepay for the version 6.0 through 7.99 that automatically keeps the licence in effect. \

It reminds me of the old joke" How do you keep a moron in suspense?"

A "I'll tell you tomorrow."

I just hate waiting. I havent recorded much in a while but with Cakewalk gone Reapr is really the only game in town. Running back to Cakewalk whe I find myself stumped just wont work.
So please let us pay for 6.0 now. We are SOOOO close.
I'm assuming you're currently running the trial and are waiting for 6 to come out before you pay for it? Sure would be the frugal thing to do.
DeathByGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 02:05 AM   #976
Xaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenakios View Post
I'd drop all 32 bit versions and drop support for ancient operating systems like Windows XP and Mac OS-X older than, say, 10.11. I'd also drop Python from the scripting languages.
Okay, I can see dumping Python, cuz it's just a PITA, but what harm does it do to keep it backward compatible? That's one of the things that makes REAPER REAPER. It can run on just about anything. If I had to use Windoze, I'd rather use XP than any of the newer versions. But it is pretty long in the tooth.

But dropping support for Yosemite? Are you serious? The last update was only 13 months ago in July, 2017! I spent a week downgrading my Mac that came with El Capitan to Yosemite because each version of OS X (now macOS) gets worse and worse ever since they got rid of Scott Forstall. Are you just being sadistic, or what? They are making every iteration of the OS more difficult for professionals to use and it gets uglier by the minute. I'd give anything to run a 64 bit version that looked like Snow Leopard. Some of us are visual artists, too, and the Apple color palette is literally what we call "out of the tube" colors. They used to be incredibly gorgeous color palettes. Now, when you select the "Apple" colors in the color picker, they are, no joke, Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, Black, Green, Blue, and Red. That's like Cockos deciding that ReaComp would be the only ReaPlug shipping with v. 6 and they only gave it a single band and a 1:1.5 compression ratio. And forget about any third party plugins. You get what you record and you'd better hope you placed the mic right, cuz you ain't adjusting any levels. You get the mix you printed, Xenokios, and you'd better like it. Starting to get the picture? Yosemite is the last version of the OS that you can make look a little less nauseating. It's not just that it looks like color blind Korean kids drew the icons behind their backs with their non-dominant hand, they are dropping features and making simple things harder and harder to do.

Plus, if they dropped support for Yosemite, I'd have to replace three pieces of outboard hardware. I plan on running it for 10 years if I can. I'll be buying only used Macs from now on, preferably stuff that can run Lion or Mavericks at the latest. At least until Cockos comes up with a decent wrapper that will let me run all of my Mac VST plugins in Linux. I'd be perfectly happy running Linux, but I'm not running out and buying all new copies of FabFilter Total Bundle, RX 7 Advanced, Neutron2 and Ozone8, Waves Complete, and a s#itload of other plugins because Jonny Ives is completely insane. I'd rather have a render farm of Mac Minis all running ReaMote than use High Sierra or Windoze anything! That is probably one of the biggest draws of REAPER—it's broad range of support.

Thirteen months old isn't ancient. If anything, they should hold off support for High Sierra and Windoze 10. Our operating systems already do what we want them to do—operate our computers. We don't need newer, bigger, slower, uglier OSes. We need to make every lead developer at every major software company spend a year interning at Cockos.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:37 AM   #977
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaos View Post
Okay, I can see dumping Python, cuz it's just a PITA, but what harm does it do to keep it backward compatible?
You can do great things using Python. See "Beyond" that since some days is under active development again. (See forum messages by "beyond".)

And as the Python script engine is not included in reaper but a loadable 3rd party extension, providing python support does not do any harm at all.

-Michael
Old 09-17-2018, 07:15 AM   #978
thebigcheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaos View Post
Okay, I can see dumping Python, cuz it's just a PITA, but what harm does it do to keep it backward compatible? That's one of the things that makes REAPER REAPER. It can run on just about anything. If I had to use Windoze, I'd rather use XP than any of the newer versions. But it is pretty long in the tooth.
I can't speak for their process, but I do QA for a living and it's actually a pretty big pain to have to test software in older operating systems. For one, you have to keep around computers running software from before this millennium, but now you have to devote time and resources to testing on an OS that even Microsoft doesn't support anymore. I don't think they even support Windows 7 anymore. So your options are spending money to keep your software compatible with an old OS none of your customers should be using anymore or spend that money on something more productive like new features or bug fixes for relevant OSes or literally anything else...

Our policy at work is the most recent two versions of any OS or browser. For bigger companies, I could see going back three, maybe four versions, especially with OS X that updates like every year (why is beyond me).
thebigcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 01:30 AM   #979
Zerododo

imho the real strength of Reaper is Scripting and the community contribution, that fills the (few) gaps of software as is.
BUT
i think that the current organization of script development (reapack for the most part, but often a single developer web site or github page) is barely usable, and scary, for average user. unusable for newbies.
too Tricky and hard to understand, lack of documentation. no standard rules of GUI building and/or naming.

this aspect lengthen the learning curve and increase frustration.

i've been using reaper for 6 years and i consider my self a novice of reaper actions menu. i'm sure that somewhere there is exactly the script i need for my workflow, but i can't find it!

if reaper 6 will be able to make order in this wonderful but too wild world, will be unbeatable for years.
Zerododo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 04:40 AM   #980
jens

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttmunkey View Post
with Cakewalk gone
What do you mean? Cakewalk formerly known as Sonar receives frequent updates.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1..._RP83OjlA/edit
jens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 05:10 AM   #981
Xaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
You can do great things using Python. See "Beyond" that since some days is under active development again. (See forum messages by "beyond".)

And as the Python script engine is not included in reaper but a loadable 3rd party extension, providing python support does not do any harm at all.

-Michael
You're right. There's no reason to drop support for it. Nor any of the other things in the comment I was originally addressing. I can see why they dropped PPC support, but I can't see a valid reason for dropping anything mentioned in that comment. I think it was just trolling, and I bit.

Was just kidding about Python. Two of my best friends are Python fanatics. Could come in handy. Like when I want a script to create regions between markers and name them after the marker at the beginning of the region, which I haven't been able to find yet. I would think that would be a commonly used feature. Am I missing it somewhere? I'd like to see that in 6. Pretty simple request. And how about something like chunks in DP? That would be nice.
Old 10-05-2018, 10:44 AM   #982
buckman

Maybe a dual windows set up like Adobe Audition? (I've only just seen how this works), so 1 window could be a destructive editor /2-track to do any cleaning, trimming, editing, then switch to the usual multi-track view of Reaper, would make this very very powerful, especially as its all in the one DAW.

I know users that would use the editor side, as well as the usual Reaper workflow, small footprint, and resourcefulness, and coming from Cockos, i'm sure they'd do this very intuitively
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 11:20 AM   #983
mb945

Integrate SWS and ReaPack natively.
Also better support for external control surfaces.
mb945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 12:07 PM   #984
mschnell

Neither will happen, as both is possible as 3rd party plugins, and hence the very small Reaper team at Cockos can concentrate on the core functionality.

-Michael
Old 10-09-2018, 03:43 AM   #985
CDS

Is this so called reaper going to be available in this decade?

It has been talked about over and over, I'm starting to think it is just all talk.
CDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 04:34 AM   #986
HDWind

Quote:
I support this request.
Please add the ability to save settings in spectral editing.

Now we can select areas through a square or a rectangle.
Also, please add a new feature, free drawing with a pencil, to highlight areas.

When we select areas through squares or a rectangle, we now have a minimum width limit!
Please remove this width limit.
HDWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 05:36 AM   #987
Ozman

Quote:

It has been talked about over and over, I'm starting to think it is just all talk.
Dude... who wants a rushed DAW?

I sure don't.

Honestly, I think its all about opening parts of Reaper for 3rd Party scripts to provide options for the users.
Ozman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:45 AM   #988
mschnell

Quote:
Is this so called reaper going to be available
Is this supposed to be funny ????
-Michael
Old 10-09-2018, 09:10 AM   #989
InLight-Tone

Please, an overhaul of the CC system in the midi editor similar to Studio One without relying on fiddly scripts no dis-respect to Julian...
Old 10-09-2018, 01:02 PM   #990
ivansc

I rather suspect that CDS has been infected by whatever bug woogish got recently.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:10 AM   #991
DaveKeehl

Quote:

why are you here in the first place? xD
Old 10-10-2018, 04:40 AM   #992
midiman007

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKeehl View Post
why are you here in the first place? xD
Well I am very happy at the rate of development of Reaper. If you think I am dumb look at it this way. I know of another DAW company that charges for every update they release and on top of it all they berks many things with there updates.

Justin / Schva are a great programmers and they will not compromise Reaper stability for a new feature until they know it is 100% ready.

And I for one am grateful for that.
Old 10-10-2018, 01:52 PM   #993
Sound asleep

Quote:

You're new here I guess.

Reaper has a bazillion updates all the time, and every major version takes a lot of time to release. Which is great, in a sense, because you get 2 whole version upgrades with reaper. and that's a LONG time, with tons of updates. The reaper I started with, and the reaper I have now, are *very* different.

Just relax. People actually have to make the software. Just regular humans, and it's not like there's a huge team of developers at work. It's like when you produce a song. It doesn't take 5 minutes.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:36 AM   #994
dsyrock

export/import OMF/AAF files
dsyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:33 AM   #995
Diki Ross

Perhaps it is time for the devs to reassess their update policy.

While we are all in awe of how often tiny numerous changes and bugfixes come, perhaps it distracts them from the big picture,
and work on the major issues that seem to go unaddressed for so long?

Every month or so, another update with a page full of changes, but are they the issues that seem to be to the fore in everyone's posts?

Generally, a workflow stopping bug or feature gets a huge amount of posts, minor things, not so much.
There are FAR more pressing issues than are detailed in the last update, for instance.

It's all well and dandy to work tirelessly fixing the minutiae, but should it be at the cost of the big things?
Diki Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 12:18 PM   #996
Arionas

Hey guys, is there any hope for a Reaper Remote application for IOS, Android etc?
Old 10-11-2018, 01:24 PM   #997
mschnell

Do you mean "Remote controlling Reaper": this already is working (AFAIK) or "Reaper on Androiod": as there already is Reaper for the ARM-Linux based RasPI this might be possible.

-Michael
Old 10-11-2018, 01:43 PM   #998
DeathByGuitar

Quote:
Hey guys, is there any hope for a Reaper Remote application for IOS, Android etc?
It already exists in the form of a web app.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkMAj8CpvIU
DeathByGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 02:42 PM   #999
Arionas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathByGuitar View Post
It already exists in the form of a web app.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkMAj8CpvIU
Wow! Didn't know that. Thanks!
Old 10-20-2018, 07:06 AM   #1000
run_esc

I just want to know if there will be an overhaul of the theming system, I am quite a bit of work into a new theme and it would suck to have to scrap it when 6 comes out!
run_esc is offline   Reply With Quote