Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 01-06-2022, 11:00 AM   #121
paaltio
Human being with feelings

v2 seems to work very well, thanks for the great work!

One thought: I'd like to capture only what was played during the most recent playback. I don't think that's possible right now? It creates takes for all the previous ones too. It would be nice to either have a separate version that only captures the most recent playback, or an action to flush the buffer that I can pair with the play action.
paaltio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 11:22 AM   #122
mpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by paaltio View Post
v2 seems to work very well, thanks for the great work!

One thought: I'd like to capture only what was played during the most recent playback. I don't think that's possible right now? It creates takes for all the previous ones too. It would be nice to either have a separate version that only captures the most recent playback, or an action to flush the buffer that I can pair with the play action.

mpl_Dump Retrospective Record log (only data at playing).lua
It supposed to take into account break from previous script trigger.
mpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 12:05 PM   #123
paaltio

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpl View Post
mpl_Dump Retrospective Record log (only data at playing).lua
It supposed to take into account break from previous script trigger.
Yes indeed it does that, however I will often play from the same place multiple times. Then when I want to capture something, I typically only want the most recent playthrough.

I guess I could pair the dump action with crop takes, but it seems like the first playthrough determines the start position of the other takes, so the final playthrough will be out of sync.
Old 01-06-2022, 12:37 PM   #124
mpl

Quote:
most recent playthrough
Correct me if I`m wrong, but it is impossible since there is no way to know what is "most recent" in this case. When I say 'Obey breaks beetween captures', I mean triggering script triggering capture break entry into the memory (so the script on initialization get all data down to this break).

But as a workaround, I can add something like 'Add break but not dump anything', so you can build a custom action and modify regular Trasport: play action like:

- 'add break' script
- transport play

So every time you run play, you will reset captured data break to the start of last playthrough.
Old 01-06-2022, 12:50 PM   #125
paaltio

Quote:
Correct me if I`m wrong, but it is impossible since there is no way to know what is "most recent" in this case. When I say 'Obey breaks beetween captures', I mean triggering script triggering capture break entry into the memory (so the script on initialization get all data down to this break).

But as a workaround, I can add something like 'Add break but not dump anything', so you can build a custom action and modify regular Trasport: play action like:

- 'add break' script
- transport play

So every time you run play, you will reset captured data break to the start of last playthrough.
Yes I think that's correct. In fact that's what I'm basically using now: I modified your early v1 script from October to check an ExtState I set in my play script! But would be of course nice to get on the most recent version for the latest updates.

So yes indeed I think that break script would do the trick. Thanks very much for taking a look!
Old 01-07-2022, 11:28 AM   #126
mpl

Quote:
Yes I think that's correct. In fact that's what I'm basically using now: I modified your early v1 script from October to check an ExtState I set in my play script! But would be of course nice to get on the most recent version for the latest updates.

So yes indeed I think that break script would do the trick. Thanks very much for taking a look!
try mpl_Dump Retrospective Record log (clean buffer only).lua
Old 01-08-2022, 07:00 AM   #127
paaltio

Quote:
try mpl_Dump Retrospective Record log (clean buffer only).lua
Seems to work very well, thank you very much!
Old 01-29-2022, 02:10 PM   #128
mpl

Since this script doing some basic stuff REAPER supposed to have, I decided to move all the script code from encrypted binaries, so it is human readable now, everyone can modify it if needs.
Old 02-11-2022, 01:27 AM   #129
paaltio

I've been trying to nail down a bug that is causing "mpl_Dump Retrospective Record log (only data at playing)" to stop working completely in some cases. It simply captures nothing when this happens.

It's hard to do debugging, because it's such a random bug. Yesterday I got far enough that I could see t1_atplay is at 0 even after playing in more content. This happened even if I didn't run "mpl_Dump Retrospective Record log (clean buffer only)" at playback. However then it magically started working again, so that was the end of my debugging session!

Interestingly the old script from October with my custom clean buffer mod (which simply saves the last time position captured) does work in these instances where the new script stops working, but the timing seems to be really off. Also this only ever happens when my projects get big enough. These make me wonder if latency compensation or tempo/timesig changes are messing with the retrospective API.

Unfortunately I don't have better reproduction steps at the time. I'll continue my tests when this happens again, but I thought I should mention it anyway already.

Last edited by paaltio; 02-11-2022 at 01:32 AM.
Old 02-13-2022, 12:54 AM   #130
mpl

Quote:
I've been trying to nail down a bug that is causing "mpl_Dump Retrospective Record log (only data at playing)" to stop working completely in some cases. It simply captures nothing when this happens.

It's hard to do debugging, because it's such a random bug. Yesterday I got far enough that I could see t1_atplay is at 0 even after playing in more content. This happened even if I didn't run "mpl_Dump Retrospective Record log (clean buffer only)" at playback. However then it magically started working again, so that was the end of my debugging session!

Interestingly the old script from October with my custom clean buffer mod (which simply saves the last time position captured) does work in these instances where the new script stops working, but the timing seems to be really off. Also this only ever happens when my projects get big enough. These make me wonder if latency compensation or tempo/timesig changes are messing with the retrospective API.

Unfortunately I don't have better reproduction steps at the time. I'll continue my tests when this happens again, but I thought I should mention it anyway already.
Well mpl_Dump Retrospective Record log (clean buffer only) technically doesn`t actully clean buffer but set a break into specific count of messages from common table of data. So theoretically if you didn`t get anything, then mpl_Dump Retrospective Record log (everything recorded from last REAPER start).lua should dump something.
Old 05-03-2022, 01:33 AM   #131
Hipox

Hi,
I am trying out your scripts, but unfortunately I am getting this error all the time: "...Dump Retrospective Record log (only data at playing).lua:100: bad argument #1 to 'GetActiveTake' (MediaItem expected)" .
I tried all kinds of Dump scripts variations but this is what I get most of the time.
Does anybody know how to solve it?
Hipox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 05:07 PM   #132
mpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipox View Post
Hi,
I am trying out your scripts, but unfortunately I am getting this error all the time: "...Dump Retrospective Record log (only data at playing).lua:100: bad argument #1 to 'GetActiveTake' (MediaItem expected)" .
I tried all kinds of Dump scripts variations but this is what I get most of the time.
Does anybody know how to solve it?
The crash seems to come from pretty solid Reaper API function CreateNewMIDIItemInProj() which is supposed to create new MIDI item, while it does`t. So the followed functions in the code trigger error. That can be a REAPER bug. Can you try it with fresh clean REAPER + ReaPack install? Also, make sure you don`t have RUNNING PERSISTENT reascripts. My first guess is: some background script prevent REAPER from creating MIDI item from API.

I can prevent it by just enclosing following functions, but it doesn`t solve the problem.
Old 05-22-2022, 07:18 AM   #133
grandfougue

Hi how to get the paid version please I don't understand ?

There is no action for audio, you have to use Eugen's version. That's it ?
grandfougue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 11:36 AM   #134
mpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandfougue View Post
Hi how to get the paid version please I don't understand ?

There is no action for audio, you have to use Eugen's version. That's it ?
All scripts are free (donation is welcome but it seems not possible to donate). There is no version for audio until there isn't API function for this (I don't like jsfx workarounds just like Eugen did).
Old 05-22-2022, 12:06 PM   #135
grandfougue

Tank for your responce The same for audio by Eugen No Other solution you know at time ?
grandfougue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 10:50 AM   #136
Hando

This looks excellent. I'm trying to use it but it says:

Script/Functions/mpl_Various_functions.lua not found. You should have ReaPack installed. Right click on ReaPack and click Install, then Apply.

I've followed this step but it's still coming up each time. Any ideas on what I need to do?

Thanks
Hando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 10:15 PM   #137
mpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hando View Post
This looks excellent. I'm trying to use it but it says:

Script/Functions/mpl_Various_functions.lua not found. You should have ReaPack installed. Right click on ReaPack and click Install, then Apply.

I've followed this step but it's still coming up each time. Any ideas on what I need to do?

Thanks
see first post: https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...30&postcount=1
Old 06-06-2022, 12:02 PM   #138
Hando

Quote:
Great. Many thanks my friend.
Hando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 12:11 AM   #139
mpl

Thanks to REAPER devs, this feature was implemented natively in latest pre-releases, so there is no need to use these scripts anymore.
Old 08-20-2022, 02:39 PM   #140
dna598

Quote:
Thanks to REAPER devs, this feature was implemented natively in latest pre-releases, so there is no need to use these scripts anymore.
I am getting the error messages. Where is this native functionality detailed? link pls.
dna598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 09:51 PM   #141
mpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna598 View Post
I am getting the error messages. Where is this native functionality detailed? link pls.
I mentioned it is in prereleases, so see related forum section. Btw the scripts still should work. What error do you get?
Old 08-21-2022, 07:27 AM   #142
dna598

The same message as mentioned above.

"...Dump Retrospective Record log (only data at playing).lua:100: bad argument #1 to 'GetActiveTake' (MediaItem expected)" .

I have autosave script running too.
dna598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 04:29 PM   #143
Nüwa

Hey would there be a way for me to get access back to the old version (the one with the jsfx). I'm using the native way of doing it and I'm running into note amount limits. With the free v1 version I'm also having some limits so I'm wondering if the old one with the jsfx could work for having virtually limitless recording note amount.
I was using that version before but uninstalled it when the native version was added :/
Nüwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 09:29 PM   #144
mpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nüwa View Post
Hey would there be a way for me to get access back to the old version (the one with the jsfx). I'm using the native way of doing it and I'm running into note amount limits. With the free v1 version I'm also having some limits so I'm wondering if the old one with the jsfx could work for having virtually limitless recording note amount.
I was using that version before but uninstalled it when the native version was added :/
There is not any noticable limita for both ny script and native feature, they use pretty same mechanism. You can search for my github history, but better: ask for bug report if you have issues with the native feature.