Old 02-04-2023, 09:51 AM   #41
chmaha
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
Yeah zipper noise. No I have not tried the JSFX yet but will report back if I do find any problems.
I haven't noticed any myself but it's also not been on my radar.
Old 02-05-2023, 04:27 PM   #42
chmaha

Default NEW: Eurydice

New: Eurydice /jʊˈrɪd.ɪ.si/

"Digital" wife to "analog" Orpheus. DSP from airwindows PurestConsole2. No controls.

(Apparently) Put Eurydice Channel at the end of every channel and Eurydice Bus at the start of every bus. Then a Eurydice channel at the end of each bus and a Eurydice bus at the start of the final 2-bus. You get the picture. Simple. The idea is for things to encode then decode. Channel >> Bus >> Channel >> Bus and repeat as many times as you need. Keep all REAPER faders at unity and use RCGain or similar to gain-stage. The more tracks summing to one place, the bigger the (subtle) effect. If I've gotten this wrong, let me know airwindows aficionados!

More later and a template, I promise. Off to bed

Last edited by chmaha; 02-05-2023 at 04:32 PM.
chmaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 06:05 PM   #43
fmL

yes a lot of Chris' plugins do not sound smooth when moving the sliders. his newer ones are a bit better because many users have requested a fix. also remember Chris always seems to be coding them to be oprimized for 192khz resolution.
Old 02-05-2023, 06:49 PM   #44
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmL View Post
yes a lot of Chris' plugins do not sound smooth when moving the sliders. his newer ones are a bit better because many users have requested a fix. also remember Chris always seems to be coding them to be oprimized for 192khz resolution.
Yup. There are too many plugins that don't distort when adjusting them to bother with that.
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 01:12 AM   #45
fmL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
Yup. There are too many plugins that don't distort when adjusting them to bother with that.
sure i can understand that for plugins you'd want to modulate but i wouldnt write off all his plugins because of it. you can pick and choose because its not an issue with all of them and many are "set it and forget it". i usually watch the videos first and then decide.
Old 02-06-2023, 01:14 AM   #46
chmaha

Well hopefully this doesn't affect the jsfx ports. Again, let me know if you find any oddities.

So on the subject of templates, I'm not sure I shared the Orpheus template that I posted on the ReaClassical thread. Here's the single post with the link: https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=551

I'll work on a Eurydice template today.
Old 02-06-2023, 01:54 AM   #47
chmaha

Here you go: ReaClassical_Eurydice.RPP

It uses the same track/submix count and routing as the Orpheus template but with RCGain+Eurydice Channel on the tracks, Bus+RCGain+Channel sandwich on the submixes and summing busses, and then an instance of Bus+ELSA on the final 2-bus.

Use RCGain for all gain-staging and insert any other plugins just before the RCGain plugin (and after Bus if on a submix). Incidentally, all the DSP comes from the airwindows "Purest" range (PurestConsole2, PurestDrive, PurestGain).

NEW: Port-and-Lemon

A combined compressor (compress = squeeze = lemon) and gate ( = port) with DSP from airwindows "Dynamics". A perfect cocktail for controlling your mix

Last edited by chmaha; 02-06-2023 at 06:30 AM.
Old 02-06-2023, 12:44 PM   #48
chmaha

NEW: Xonnos Dither

For those wanting more dithers (who doesn't?), I present Xonnos dither (no prizes for guessing how I came up with the name). It's two airwindows dithers rolled into one jsfx. But, there's something that doesn't exist in airwindows world: a 16-bit version of DoublePaul (here called Xonnos Double). World-changing, I know

This is for anyone who loves regular triangular dither but wants something recommended by Paul Frindle of Sony Oxford / SSL fame: single-pole high-pass dither. "Single" is as described by Paul, "double" is similar but noise profile pushed even higher as enjoyed by a mastering engineer who goes by the name of "Bob" (apparently).

If you can't find a dither that suits you between RCDither, Twilight, Nintenda, Stan, WTFDither and Xonnos, well, I can't help you In all seriousness, if you normally like standard TPDF dither, Xonnos is your new best friend.

Last edited by chmaha; 02-06-2023 at 03:08 PM.
Old 02-07-2023, 08:54 AM   #49
chmaha

NEW: Xonnos Dither v1.1
  • Added new "Wide" dither
  • Tidied up existing code

I completed the airwindows "Paul" dither collection by adding PaulWide as "Xonnos Wide". It pushes the random noise to the sides more if it threatens to be mono. A reminder that you get a 16-bit DoublePaul (Xonnos "Double") which doesn't exist in airwindows world but is actually useful unlike the 24-bit version
Old 02-07-2023, 03:01 PM   #50
chmaha

NEW: MuTube

A vari-mu compressor that competes with a hardware box (apparently). Uses DSP from airwindows VariMu.

That's my airwindows ports for now. I've gone through Airwindopedia.txt multiple times and found what I consider the best ones. I am not planning to touch the reverbs because I don't consider them good enough quality but YMMV.

Last edited by chmaha; 02-08-2023 at 07:09 AM.
Old 02-08-2023, 07:09 AM   #51
chmaha

Default RCLimiter v1.3

NEW: RCLimiter v1.3
  • True Peak!

EDIT: Not airwindows-related (the "and more..." part ) but I discovered the unfortunate truth that RCLimiter based on Geraint Luff's Smooth Limiter wasn't actually a true peak limiter...so...I made it one! Sync ReaPack for v1.3.

Last edited by chmaha; 02-08-2023 at 09:41 AM.
Old 02-08-2023, 09:54 AM   #52
Tobbe

...you keep 'em coming. Nice work and they are also nice to my old computer. Thanks a million for these.
Old 02-08-2023, 12:24 PM   #53
chmaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobbe View Post
...you keep 'em coming. Nice work and they are also nice to my old computer. Thanks a million for these.
The well's pretty much dried up in terms of airwindows ports (though there's always hope I can squeeze out a couple more) but otherwise it is back to focusing on the ReaClassical system. There is one thing more thing for tonight though:

NEW: RCLimiter v1.4
  • Remove look-ahead slider and set permanently to 10ms

If you preferred having the control you can always stick with v1.3, however, 10ms look-ahead is the same as ReaLimit (and therefore the same latency too) and limiters like ReaLimit and x42-limiter don't allow for user look-ahead changes so I'm following the same route. Adjust release to taste If you don't like true peak limiting, roll back to v1.1. Everyone can be happy Maybe v1.5 can have a true peak switch...

Last edited by chmaha; 02-08-2023 at 12:30 PM.
Old 02-08-2023, 12:45 PM   #54
TEFKAJH

Thanks for the enhanced ports, much appreciated!
TEFKAJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 02:20 PM   #55
chmaha

Last one for the night, I really promise:

NEW: RCLimiter v1.5
  • Added True Peak mode on/off dropdown

This was quite tricky even compared to converting the limiter to be able to do true peak. The issue was the necessity to flush buffers when moving from true-peak to non-true-peak given without it there was a nasty audio spike which muted the channel. So, after a bit of research, memset to the rescue:
Code:
function flush() (
	memset(0,0,buffer1);
);
But then I also had to add logic to only do it when the dropdown changed otherwise there was flushing every time any other slider moved To fix that I introduced another variable reflecting slider state before the change and some not-equal-to logic. FYI, there's a faint click when switching the true peak dropdown on the fly but ReaLimit exhibits the same behavior (and I assume all limiters with a true-peak toggle switch would). It's a moot point given I dearly hope it is not a dropdown you are planning to automate

Last edited by chmaha; 02-08-2023 at 03:31 PM.
Old 02-10-2023, 02:44 AM   #56
chmaha

Default Cora and Titan

NEW: Cora

OK, I guess I didn't exhause the airwindows catalog just yet. Cora (aka Persephone, continuing with the Greek myth theme) is like putting your audio through the optimal analog circuitry. DSP is from airwindows Interstage. It uses interleaved IIR and slew limiting. There are no controls, it's subtle, and you can place wherever you like, even multiple copies throughout your project. Sounds like a candidate for another template

NEW: Titan

Titan named after Barium Titanate (BaTiO₃) which is apparently the material basis for a particular line of Murata capacitors. The plugin uses DSP from airwindows Capacitor2. Analog goodness based on the way real capacitors work. The Non-linearity slider allows from subtle to extreme distortion.

Last edited by chmaha; 02-10-2023 at 04:18 AM.
Old 02-10-2023, 03:37 AM   #57
fmL

nice. i use interstage alot.
Old 02-10-2023, 04:06 AM   #58
chmaha

Default Aurora + Eris

NEW: Aurora

Named after the goddess of the dawn and the polar lights. Uses DSP from airwindows "Dubly" but I changed the label of the slider to give more of a descriptive flavor as well as make it a percentage (one tires of 0-to-1 after a while). Adjust the Ionization slider to taste. 50% is a good starting point for a subtle retro effect. Keep pushing it and you get more excitement in the atmosphere.

I didn't think I'd find more airwindows plugins to port, but hey, I'm not complaining. I might be addicted to the porting process

There's one more I'm working on right now...

NEW: Eris

Named after the goddess of discord, Eris is your ticket to five airwindows distortion algorithms: Density, Drive, Spiral, Mojo and Dyno. But because it is using DSP from airwindows "Focus", the idea is that it uses Fletcher Munson loudness curves to help you limit the distortion to the most sensitive parts of the spectrum via the Focus slider (if you want to). Push the distortion with the Boost slider. With the Output slider at 0, you can hear which sounds are getting through either side of the Focus curve and it allows you to automate and bring in the distortion or do a static mix to taste. An overall dry/wet slider rounds off the set. A veritable toy chest of distortion from subtle to obvious so definitely give it a whirl.

Last edited by chmaha; 02-10-2023 at 07:47 AM.
Old 02-12-2023, 04:59 AM   #59
chmaha

Default Metapackages

NEW: Metapackages

Given the growing number of jsfx plugins, I felt like the list in ReaPack was getting overwhelming and difficult to navigate so I created metapackages instead. Pretty obvious which are which. "Essential" contains the RC Series...

Last edited by chmaha; 02-12-2023 at 04:17 PM.
Old 02-12-2023, 11:30 AM   #60
Paul Eye

Just a little quirk when I just updated these:

Looks like @noindex isn't recognized, and the correct syntax is:
Code:
noindex: true
At least that's what I found when I ran a search in Notepad++ for "noindex" on the entire Effects directory.

Doesn't seem to affect operation in any way, but just caused a bit of a "huh? what's that"
Paul Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 11:58 AM   #61
chmaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Eye View Post
Just a little quirk when I just updated these:

Doesn't seem to affect operation in any way, but just caused a bit of a "huh? what's that"
Thanks for catching that. You learn something new every day Sync to get v1.1 of the jsfx collections without the harmless error msg! Now I understand why given that wording wouldn't mean anything in jsfx and would throw a harmless error...silly me. I could probably get away with keeping that way of doing it but commenting it out but, to be safe, I just switched it out as you suggested.

Last edited by chmaha; 02-12-2023 at 12:36 PM.
Old 02-13-2023, 02:55 AM   #62
chmaha

Default Reel and Groovy Dithers

NEW: ReaClassical Dither Plugins v1.3
  • ReelDither
  • GroovyDither

Using DSP from airwindows TapeDither and VinylDither, here are two more alternatives to boring TPDF dither ReelDither sounds like the pleasant noise from reel-to-reel (albeit down at -90.3 dBFS) and GroovyDither sounds like vinyl crackle (albeit down at -84.3 dBFS).

Yet again for the traditional dithers (that are not silent when transport is stopped), I find that the airwindows code doesn't work as intended for jsfx. Specifically for final lines like:

Code:
fpdL ~= fpdL << 13; fpdL ~= fpdL >> 17; fpdL ~= fpdL << 5;
(fpdL < 0) ? fpdL += UINT32_MAX;
I add the second line because UINT32 have to be, well, integers. However, for the final round of pseudorandomization of fpdL/fpdR I need to use the following:

Code:
fpdL = rand(UINT32_MAX);
fpdR = rand(UINT32_MAX);
otherwise the noise becomes cyclic. It seems obvious that it would but I still have no clue how the VST implementation avoids that given it is definitely using just those same XOR bitwise calculations. The good news is that with the rand() improvement, the jsfx ports sonically behave exactly like the originals.

It probably means that for every regular airwindows non-dither plugin the 64-bit float dither when transport is stopped (or playing in a blank part of a project) is also cyclic but given the very notion of 64-bit float dither is taking dither to the comical extremes, it's definitely not worth worrying about. That said, I may convert the 64-bit dither to rand(UINT32_MAX) just so if (when?) an aurally-advanced alien species invade the planet Earth, they are not offended by cyclic dither noise down in the vicinity of -300dBFS. Though, of course, I run the risk that the very lack of pattern may also play havoc with their sensibilities.

NEW: ReaClassical Essential Plugins v1.2
  • Added RCDeEss Advanced
  • Renamed original to RCDeEss Standard
Using DSP from airwindows DeBess, this is the ultimate DeEsser. You still might be fine with RCDeEss Standard but if you need even more control over the process and even better rejection of Ess sounds, this is definitely your plugin. As Chris from airwindows says, DeEssing is most definitely a solved problem.

Last edited by chmaha; 02-14-2023 at 12:47 AM.
Old 02-13-2023, 03:41 PM   #63
chmaha

NEW: ReaClassical Miscellaneous Plugins v1.2
  • Discordia

Using DSP from airwindows Distortion, this is similar to Eris (aka airwindows Focus) but without the focus part and designed to be a bit darker. Named after the Roman goddess Discordia who is the equivalent of Greek Eris.

NEW: ReaClassical Dither Plugins v1.4
  • WTF Wide included in Wipe-The-Floor Dither
I added Wide TPDF dither to the WTF Dither jsfx so you can flip between them (in both 16- and 24-bit). Similar to Xonnos Wide (but not a single-pole highpass) in that the noise is statistically more likely to appear out to the sides avoiding any notion of "mono".

Last edited by chmaha; 02-14-2023 at 12:43 AM.
Old 02-14-2023, 05:58 AM   #64
chmaha

Default NEW: Clio

NEW: Clio

For testing purposes, grab the code from the bottom of the post. I'll add to the Console jsfx collection at a later date.

One of the nine muses, the goddesses of music, song and dance from Greek Mythology. Uses DSP from airwindows Busscolors4. If I understand Chris' Airwindopedia.txt layout correctly, this is still his top tone color plugin. I already have MagicFairyDust (aka Channel 9) but that is more limited in how it recreates the flavor. This from Chris in one of the video comments:
Quote:
BussColors dynamically constructs impulse responses based on recordings of real hardware. Channel just applies a simple highpass and slew clipping based on what that gear’s roughly limited to. In some ways Channel sounds better, but it does far less to get that result.
First, it works and sounds like the original. It sounds great! I can't achieve null as I can with all the other ports presumably because of the way the impulses are generated on the fly coupled with jsfx vs VST inner workings.

Second, a major caveat and a request for some expert help. Don't try to use this with low blocksizes. Even on my Ryzen 7 5800X, crackles occur at anything below a blocksize of 256. At 256 I get smooth playback with just over 4% CPU usage (it's over 15% at 64!).

So the question for those in the know...is there a way to improve the CPU usage and allow for use at lower blocksizes? The VST manages smooth playback at blocksize of 64 with only 0.1% CPU usage and zero plugin latency so clearly the code as ported (with absolutely minimal changes) is not as performative on jsfx.

Here's the original code: https://github.com/airwindows/airwin...rc/BussColors4
and here's my port: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ch...oles/Clio.jsfx

Last edited by chmaha; 02-16-2023 at 09:16 AM.
Old 02-15-2023, 08:09 AM   #65
chmaha

Default NEW: SAW2 and Supersonic

I've been busy again :

NEW: ReaClassical Miscellaneous Plugins v1.3
  • SAW 2 — Seriously Amazing Widener 2

A take on the Hughes SRS widener hardware box. Uses DSP from airwindows Srsly2.

NEW: ReaClassical Console Plugins v1.3
  • Supersonic

A new creation is born. DSP from airwindows Hypersonic, Ultrasonic, Ultrasonic Medium and Ultrasonic Lite all rolled into one glorious jsfx. No controls other than selecting which filter you want. Just place anywhere in your project (multiple copies as you see fit) and anything nonlinear that comes after it is dealt with (hurrah, no aliasing). Use Ultrasonic varieties for analog-style and Hypersonic for pure digital. Ultrasonic Medium and Lite simply use fewer biquad filters and start a little bit higher.

EDIT: In the spirit of Pokémon Gotta Catch ‘Em All, I decided to at least try to tackle the remaining interesting items of the airwindows StarterKit 2022 bundle, hence the two new jsfx above. I'm still deciding whether porting Verbity2 and Galactic would be worth it (I'd never use them for sure but it's not just about me!) but otherwise all that is left in that kit is Pressure5 (discounting Monitoring from which I have already ported the most useful part: dithers). Which then leads me to consider also porting Logical4. Then, I think I'm very done (until Chris releases Channel10, Console9 etc ). And, yes, it would still be lovely to get a CPU-efficient Clio aka BussColors4 up and running.

Last edited by chmaha; 03-15-2023 at 04:14 PM.
Old 02-15-2023, 10:22 AM   #66
chmaha

Default New: Pascal

NEW: ReaClassical Miscellaneous Plugins v1.4
  • Pascal

Using DSP from airwindows Pressure5.
Old 02-15-2023, 11:38 AM   #67
Steviekeys

Thanks for the airwindows ports, I can now alter the compressors to have a GR meter!

The oversampling switch on RClimiter is a must, as the filter dulls the sound quite a bit at 48Kh sample rate.
Steviekeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 12:44 PM   #68
chmaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steviekeys View Post
Thanks for the airwindows ports, I can now alter the compressors to have a GR meter!
Awesome...do share if and when you make the changes!
Old 02-15-2023, 05:07 PM   #69
chmaha

Default NEW: Oxonia

NEW: ReaClassical Miscellaneous Plugins v1.5
  • Oxonia

Phew. That was a monster porting session (1700+ lines of source code to work through). The final (final?) airwindows plugin in this very large batch. Using DSP from airwindows Logical4 (an SSL-style bus compressor). Be warned it can do some crazy things but can also be super transparent with appropriate settings.

I'm now officially done (in a good way). I know a little more jsfx than I did before I started I hope that all of these plugins are useful to you. Don't hesitate to reach out here for further discussion.

Last edited by chmaha; 02-16-2023 at 02:19 AM.
Old 02-16-2023, 09:39 AM   #70
Steviekeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmaha View Post
Awesome...do share if and when you make the changes!
I got the meter from stillwell 1175 mostly working. I'm also experimenting with LSB noise in avent-guard/ NJAD.

Will post the new versions when done.
Old 02-17-2023, 04:02 AM   #71
chmaha

Default NEW: airwindows reverb DSP

Hmm, well I did get a request last night for the two latest airwindows reverbs so, first:

ReaClassical Reverb Plugins v1.0
  • Interstellar

For all your pad / space ambient sounds. Using DSP from airwindows Galactic. Just don't expect it to sound good on classical material

ReaClassical Reverb Plugins v1.1
  • Bricastic2

Using DSP from airwindows Verbity2. Chris' new "best" Bricasti-style Feed Forward topology reverb.

ReaClassical Reverb Plugins v1.2
  • Bricastic

And to round off the collection: Bricastic, using the DSP from original airwindows Verbity given v2 isn't necessarily always better. I did take a look at another earlier attempt to port this on the REAPER stash (and the YouTube video) and found various issues including delay variables as float instead of integer etc so I definitely recommend this version instead. To be totally fair, it was listed as a 0.1beta.

Last edited by chmaha; 02-17-2023 at 06:25 AM.
Old 02-17-2023, 04:44 PM   #72
Steviekeys

I eventually managed to get some dither noise that sounded good with the crazy algorithm of NJAD/Avent-Gard!!

https://stash.reaper.fm/46317/RCDither%20LogNoise.jsfx
Old 02-17-2023, 04:48 PM   #73
chmaha

Quote:
I eventually managed to get some dither noise that sounded good with the crazy algorithm of NJAD/Avent-Gard!!

Hehe, you don't like NJAD/Avant-garde as it is? It's the best sounding dither I know (when boosted +50dB so I can actually hear it ). I'll give your 20LogNoise edit a go tomorrow! This is exciting
Old 02-18-2023, 02:55 AM   #74
Steviekeys

I tried to make the best better. 😆
Old 02-18-2023, 04:52 AM   #75
bezusheist

Quote:

too much DC at output for log2 mode
Old 02-18-2023, 08:01 AM   #76
chmaha

Apparently I have an addiction to porting airwindows to jsfx. Whatever the reasons behind it (most likely my OCD kicking in), since my last post (the three airwindows reverbs), I have also ported:
  • PhiVerb (using DSP from the yet-to-be-released Chamber2).
  • Solar Wind (using DSP from Hype)
  • Reelty (using DSP from FromTape)

PhiVerb uses the golden ratio (well, technically 1 - $phi and a tau ref) and I came across the source code this morning on github so I thought, why not? Solar Wind is essentially a weird treble softener / aural exciter hybrid which seems to be Chris' favorite "subtlety" plugin. Then there's Reelty. You already have Magnetique (recording to tape) and this is recording from tape.

You can find PhiVerb in the Reverb metapackage and the other two in Miscellaneous.

Last edited by chmaha; 02-18-2023 at 08:14 AM.
Old 02-18-2023, 08:14 AM   #77
RJHollins

not to derail this thread ...

Was hoping to have these jsfx available as a VST plugin via YSFX.

Found the Github site https://github.com/jpcima/ysfx

but get an error message:

"Error 404 – Not Found

GitHub produced an error for the download of artifact #314987317.

Usually this means that the artifact has expired (>90 days). "

Might anyone have a copy to share ?

Thanks
RJHollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 08:16 AM   #78
chmaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
not to derail this thread ...
Was hoping to have these jsfx available as a VST plugin via YSFX.
Why not just use the VST versions? Yes, I've made changes here and there but plenty are just straight ports. In my experience, ysfx is unreliable. And, of course you should be using REAPER for all your DAW needs
Old 02-18-2023, 09:10 AM   #79
bezusheist

some part of jsfx doesn't seem to utilize full 64 bit float when the transport is stopped.

example > https://i.imgur.com/zRe3HEp.gif

*i would like to know if there is a way around this limitation

Last edited by bezusheist; 02-18-2023 at 01:29 PM.
bezusheist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 09:26 AM   #80
chmaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezusheist View Post
some part of jsfx doesn't seem to utilize full 64 bit float when the transport is stopped.

example > https://i.imgur.com/zRe3HEp.gif
Are you talking about StevieKeys log2 dither or all my jsfx ports? Pretty sure I tested the dither level in various ports after I discovered the cyclic noise. I haven't switched them all over to rand(UINT32_MAX) yet but the original is still 64-bit float dither (if you have REAPER set to 64-bit float mixing engine). As for the actual dither plugins, they should only be operating at 16 or 24-bit!

I have noticed that VST seems to operate differently to jsfx on transport stop (or playing silence). Not quite sure why. It has been my major question left unanswered. It would also probably explain why the bitwise XOR of the source code becomes cyclic on 16 and 24-bit dithers too and why I needed to switch to rand().

Last edited by chmaha; 02-18-2023 at 09:40 AM.