Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 04-12-2019, 06:55 AM   #681
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
It can be frustrating to hear about new bugs arising, but at the same time, I do really appreciate your input on this front! You've reported so many, which definitely helped raise the bar on the overall quality of the thing.

lolz-see sai'ke--this is the plan to raise the bars!! raise them higher each day-each way-- i come across as a 'wanting_to_know_it_all_grumpy_basta..person... but my aim is to only raise the bars..in terms of thinking+doing.
wisdom/knowledge is key- so obviously i seek more..

i do not like moaning/whinging/crying of any sorts-but in essense,all seeks a sense of purpose to a final goal=perfection of both human..and maybe even machine..eventually
thanx for your patience and persistant time spent working with filther-it's very very much appreciated in all aspects of creation!
i friken can't stand reporting anything at all tbh..but i will.. to help maintain higher standards of productions+techniques regarding audio.
thanx a bunchiz..
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 07:19 AM   #682
Eliseat
Human being with feelings

Ah, and relating to the presets you mentioned. That is a really difficult thing, because Filther has so much possibilities that you can't even catch 1% with presets. Even if you would use a steady synth waveform like I did (with over 400 filter presets till now) it only would cover "MIDI triggered bass sounds". But there is so much more: drum loops, side chain, dynamically triggered synths and all kind of stuff.

I just struggle with that and use presets only sparely these days because I know how to handle Filther and how to achieve anything. Okay, I have lots bass sounds now. But they are only a guide or shape which sounds completely different with other sources. Not only that, they sound completely different in a different song tempo, octave or play style. Its impossible to cover anything else as the original project where the sounds were created in. So it would be the best to share a hole project with Filther.

What I think would be useful as a to go preset list would be classical applications like practical examples for LFOs, envelopes, dynamical envelopes and different settings like side chain etc. with only a simple diode ladder. And of course anything else as demanded in this thread. I will post my actual preset list in the near future.

Just my thoughts. And if Reaper had a better preset management we even could create a poll or something to vote for the best presets. But this is something I really hate in Reaper. Its just not possible to save only certain presets in a file. Though I have no idea if there are better solutions in other programs.

And you lucky dog are in sunny Freiburg? Hope some of those photons find their way behind your computer.

Sincerely
Eli
Old 04-12-2019, 07:38 AM   #683
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliseat View Post
Ah, and relating to the presets you mentioned. That is a really difficult thing, because Filther has so much possibilities that you can't even catch 1% with presets. Even if you would use a steady synth waveform like I did (with over 400 filter presets till now) it only would cover "MIDI triggered bass sounds". But there is so much more: drum loops, side chain, dynamically triggered synths and all kind of stuff.

I just struggle with that and use presets only sparely these days because I know how to handle Filther and how to achieve anything. Okay, I have lots bass sounds now. But they are only a guide or shape which sounds completely different with other sources. Not only that, they sound completely different in a different song tempo, octave or play style. Its impossible to cover anything else as the original project where the sounds were created in. So it would be the best to share a hole project with Filther.
Yeah, I mean, I agree of course. That's the bane of non-linear effects I guess. I think having some nice presets might lure some people into it though. I know that many people try something once, flick through a few presets, and if they don't hear anything they like, switch to the next plug. But eh, I guess it's their loss

Sharing one project is not a bad idea either though. Like a demo file using only freebies.

Quote:
What I think would be useful as a to go preset list would be classical applications like practical examples for LFOs, envelopes, dynamical envelopes and different settings like side chain etc. with only a simple diode ladder. And of course anything else as demanded in this thread. I will post my actual preset list in the near future.
Maybe yeah. Have a few basic layouts set up.

Quote:
Just my thoughts. And if Reaper had a better preset management we even could create a poll or something to vote for the best presets. But this is something I really hate in Reaper. Its just not possible to save only certain presets in a file. Though I have no idea if there are better solutions in other programs.
Yeah, same. I wish that it was easier to mess around with presets in REAPER. Being able to sort them, put them in banks and load and unload banks at will would be such a great addition.

Quote:
And you lucky dog are in sunny Freiburg? Hope some of those photons find their way behind your computer.
Yeah, I'll miss this place when we move for the new job. The nature around here is phenomenal.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:40 AM   #684
Eliseat

Bri, I also sometimes have this feeling to just quit the forum when someone reacts to ruggedly. But don't forget, its a very limited way to communicate. Some words can really hurt and disregard also. But in most cases people have no idea about how their posts could be read.

And, to be honest, I also sometimes react snippy. But mostly because someone pushed me inside that mood or offended my intellectual capacity.

To make it short: You have a very special way to be around here in the forums. Sometimes I just don't understand anything you wrote. But I have no problem with that. Others maybe have. But this shouldn't discourage you because they don't know you in real life. They have no idea if you wrote your post with a smile and lots of hope to get an answer.

Just stay like you are and keep up the good commits to the community. I like how you are. And if I see your posts then I imagine someone really playful with lots of fantasy but also a very vulnerable person.

Just a peck from me! ◟(◔ัε◔ั )◞ ༘♡

Old 04-12-2019, 07:46 AM   #685
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliseat View Post
◟(◔ัε◔ั )◞ ༘♡
Do you have a script for these? They're great

I was thinking of making a manual for this thing, but I don't know whether it is worth the effort or whether those efforts might be more well spent elsewhere. Does anyone still read manuals nowadays?

Last edited by sai'ke; 04-12-2019 at 09:14 AM.
sai'ke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:25 AM   #686
TonE

I can help with the manual if you want, just need the text and images, but then you could do it as well. I would suggest org-mode. In case you put the text + images as zip into github, I can give it a quick shot, you could still create your better manual, if you want.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:53 AM   #687
foxAsteria

Apologies for the clutter, I was unable to send a PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri1 View Post
sigh--lol..close to giving up this forum here tbh..feel a sense of dislike,or maybe even aggression in energyflow...that's fine i guess. no big loss.
If you're not happy with the response you get (or lack thereof), I'd urge you to try punctuation...you know, spaces between sentences, capital letter...things designed to increase comprehensibility... Your posts take more effort to crack than most. Also, be wary when interpreting impersonal walls of text. The only energy you're likely sense there is purely reflection. No judgement...but taking things personally on the internet is like getting mad at the sun for being in your eyes. Suggest adjusting your expectations accordingly.
Old 04-12-2019, 11:00 AM   #688
Bri1
Banned

^keep suggesting m8.
Old 04-12-2019, 02:03 PM   #689
foxAsteria

And from that response I can only conclude Bri1 has no desire to be understood. But let's not have this thread devolve into personal tangents. Feel free to PM if you wish to discuss anything.
Old 04-12-2019, 02:15 PM   #690
TonE

Anyone can post freely, with or without punctuation, with or without meaning, with or without code, with or without offtopic (I corrected and removed my side topics again, showing more respect to saike's response), one might ignore this of course, all is possible, but why should I ignore saike if he never ignored here anyone, just the opposite. Thinking, writing, being a creative person (a made assumption here), with writing we can clean up our thought processes, what we understood about topic, then we can rewrite, delete, most of nonsense, keeping only the essential part, goal would be only having short, essential, clean thoughts on paper/screen. Respecting language rules is ok, but in a creative space we are here, one can also be creative with writing, ignoring any expected styles, for example. So all is fine, Bri1 has very cool writing style imo, and no matter who is posting what here, if someone says good things about us, we should still keep more or less in central mood position, not thinking we are Elvis now, or in the opposite direction, if some textual attacks come from others, we can still stay more in neutral mood position, not thinking all those arguments are the center of the universe. Bri1, you can ignore anyone here, continue with your cool style! If you want to make any exceptions, depends only on you. For me, it was my decision to respect saike's wishes, removing offtopic stuff. So anyone can make their decisions. We are not very important, anyone else is not very important, mountains will not move if any forum users start fighting, world stays as it is, keep the peace and cool flow here! Thanks for reading my nonsense.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 02:31 PM   #691
foxAsteria

You're right. At least I assume so, because I stopped reading that block of text after about a sentence, which is what I think most people do when encountering something like that.

Just sayin, do what you like, but be comprehensible if you wish to be comprehended.
Old 04-12-2019, 02:33 PM   #692
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
So all is fine.

lolz-quite agree TonE- and glad you try to understand--
i try to read all here as an open book-all writing+expressive stylez,languages,ages,genders welcomed to help 1 may provide--or not.

in this topic: filther-am happy to help -even if it seems bug reports are only from this direction=npz--i trust in sai'ke's abilities+skill to make filther a great tool for all to enjoy.!
it matters not mi opinion on the subject really,or others..especially off topic stuff..
the more people can feedback to creator on topic,honestly+reliably+sensibly without fuss-then all goes much smoother as transitions occur.
ok..i am quite brutal,blunt and very direct sometimes,trying to be constructively critical--but i think ultimately-this is what get's things 'done'..
more power to filther-spread the word.cheerz
Old 04-12-2019, 02:48 PM   #693
Bri1
Banned

lolz+before i pissoff.. to answer sai'ke question here "Does anyone still read manuals nowadays?"
=yes-actually,i do..(unoccasionally and mainly for specific technical purposes..)
manuals are helpfull..for new users especially if plugin is complicated like this 1 is--but tbh-i think you done a great job with tooltips using the plug--so you kinda have already written the manual..no?
v.good.keep energy flowing...

(btw foxAsteria,i suffer from a mild dyslexia,and am de_programming from capitalizations...if you must know bro )
peaceout.
Old 04-12-2019, 04:24 PM   #694
foxAsteria

It's cool bro. I suffer from mild impatience. Carry on.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:12 AM   #695
sai'ke

First draft of the manual.

Online: https://joepvanlier.github.io/FiltherManual/
PDF: https://github.com/JoepVanlier/Filth...ter/Manual.pdf
Old 04-13-2019, 12:52 PM   #696
mawi

The new sorting of the filter list is very clear. The manual is also very informative at first glance. I will have a look at it in peace. I still have two things. Sometimes it is a bit tricky to hit the small handles with the mouse (especially in the envelope). Can you enlarge the handles a bit? I would also find it helpful if all axes were labeled (see mockup). Can you do that too?
mawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 01:00 PM   #697
foxAsteria

Sai'ke for POTUS!
Old 04-13-2019, 03:19 PM   #698
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
First draft of the manual.

"now that's what i call a manual"...out now

heh-it's perfect.exellent job.
just the right amount of simplicity+complexity =filther.
Old 04-14-2019, 11:33 AM   #699
Eliseat

Holy crap! Sai'ke!
How did you do that manual so fast? My alien theory gets more and more proven ... - or is it Nemo? Maybe the cat is an alien and writes such a massive manual over night. Or are you a billionaire who has a whole company working on Filther while pretending to be only one person (with a cat) called Sai'ke?

Hmmm, very strange.

But its a bummer I don't need this manual because I grew up with Filther.

Many thanks indeed ...

And my emotis are from several websites. http://japaneseemoticons.me/other-emoticons/ for example. But I also copy some of them to my desktop if I really like them.

Greetings
Eli
Old 04-14-2019, 01:40 PM   #700
Sju

The reordered filter list looks excellent! Haven't had time to actually use Filther in a while now, hopefully I can get back to it soon

Cheers!
Sju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 02:49 PM   #701
foxAsteria

Oh la la! Yes the organized list is most appreciated!

Dunno if there's anything to be done about it, but at default settings certain filters produce an audible and/or visible click with no audio passing thru, just by selecting them:
Waspey non-linear (all)
LP broken feedback
LP everything is a saw
Crybaby (all)
Broken connection
Monstro
PWM Potatoes LP
Multi-wavefolder

Filther seems to be getting really polished at this point. Very nice work, Saike!

Last edited by foxAsteria; 04-14-2019 at 03:04 PM.
foxAsteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 04:21 AM   #702
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Oh la la! Yes the organized list is most appreciated!

Dunno if there's anything to be done about it, but at default settings certain filters produce an audible and/or visible click with no audio passing thru, just by selecting them:
Waspey non-linear (all)
LP broken feedback
LP everything is a saw
Crybaby (all)
Broken connection
Monstro
PWM Potatoes LP
Multi-wavefolder

Filther seems to be getting really polished at this point. Very nice work, Saike!
The issue with all those filters (except the wah) is that they incur some DC and there is a one-pole highpass which prevents this from getting through. This thing has a relatively long settling time. This is the click you hear.

I pushed a version that mutes those filters for a short period of time to avoid this.

The wah on the other hand takes a while before it finds it steady state. I have added a pre-equilibration for this one that fixes that.

Mawi; I will add some of your suggestions as well, next time I'm at it. I will have to see which ones I can make fit without things looking too squished, but I'm definitely a fan of the lines in the goniometer and frequencies on the spectrum.

Eliseat; Nemo does the music and Filther, Sten (cat in my avatar) wrote the manual. Together they are plotting world domination, but as long as I keep them busy with menial tasks, we are all safe.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:04 AM   #703
Bri1
Banned

Old 04-15-2019, 11:28 AM   #704
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai'ke View Post
I pushed a version that mutes those filters for a short period of time to avoid this.
And it works brilliantly! Just like Sai'ke. Seriously dude, your commitment to this project is unreal...one might even say...extraterrestrial.

About the envelopes; would you mind making it so ctrl+doubleclick adjusts the curve for the whole thing and not just the segment? And then maybe ctrl+alt+drag does the same thing?

I can't remember if this was explained, but is there a way to loop the envelopes or do they always need to be triggered externally?

Last edited by foxAsteria; 04-15-2019 at 11:48 AM.
foxAsteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 03:24 PM   #705
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
About the envelopes; would you mind making it so ctrl+doubleclick adjusts the curve for the whole thing and not just the segment? And then maybe ctrl+alt+drag does the same thing?

I can't remember if this was explained, but is there a way to loop the envelopes or do they always need to be triggered externally?
Both are added now.

Bri; Is that supposed to be me?
Does the 2/4 in 2 out indicate that you managed to fix the sidechain issue?
Old 04-15-2019, 11:51 PM   #706
mawi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai'ke View Post

Mawi; I will add some of your suggestions as well, next time I'm at it. I will have to see which ones I can make fit without things looking too squished, but I'm definitely a fan of the lines in the goniometer and frequencies on the spectrum.

Sounds good!
mawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 12:37 AM   #707
Bri1
Banned

nope.
+

Old 04-16-2019, 02:39 AM   #708
sai'ke

Quote:
nope.
+
Video

Angry Alien
Hey man, is the fact that it doesn't respond when inversion is in the middle the issue? While I agree that that may be confusing, it is normal behaviour.

From the manual:
RMS mode: You can enable this mode by enabling “RMS Mode” under the dynamics panel. In this mode, the dynamic variable will be directly proportional to the incoming input signal. Curve/Attack gives the option of introducing some non-linearity to this relation, while inversion allows you to invert the relation (high RMS giving low dynamic variable). Note that setting inversion to 0.5 effectively disables the dynamic variable.

Or is it that when you change the RMS, stuff happens while it's in the middle? This is unavoidable. The RMS calculation is based on a moving average, when you change the RMS time, it needs to time to settle into the new setting. It really isn't meant to be automated.

Last edited by sai'ke; 04-16-2019 at 04:02 AM.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:52 AM   #709
Bri1
Banned

o?
k
then.
Old 04-16-2019, 01:48 PM   #710
sai'ke

Bri1; I've made a little GIF that shows you how it works on my end. Filther is on track one in this GIF.

If you want me to help and try to figure out what's going wrong in your end, please send me an rpp with the problem.

Also:

Changelog:
- Increased the range for clicking nodes a bit. Also added a tiny animation so you know when you're in range to hopefully make things a bit less finicky on the envelope and spline window.
Old 04-16-2019, 03:20 PM   #711
Bri1
Banned

watch plz: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1n65...0QS19TaD3/view

Old 04-16-2019, 03:37 PM   #712
sai'ke

Quote:
Interesting.

The plugin pin connector is not code on my end though. Seems to be a reaper bug (or maybe I don't understand how the pin connector is supposed to work, but it cutting out like that without a change is very weird to say the least). I think something somewhat similar is reported here:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=209371

I suggest posting the same video there.

Same for the disappearance of the window, that would be a reaper bug if any. There's no memory allocation going on in the jsfx. Did you get any sort of segmentation fault or other error on another screen? Because if this is consistently reproducible, I'm sure Cockos would be interested in seeing it.

Last edited by sai'ke; 04-16-2019 at 04:11 PM.
Old 04-16-2019, 03:43 PM   #713
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
Interesting.

hmm..yes..very..but tbh=cba reporting much more..people mainly just ignore,which i find quite a bore..
thanx for all you have done to date sai'ke-good luck with your future projects m8.
Old 04-16-2019, 04:09 PM   #714
sai'ke

Quote:
hmm..yes..very..but tbh=cba reporting much more..people mainly just ignore,which i find quite a bore..
thanx for all you have done to date sai'ke-good luck with your future projects m8.
Actually, as I was heading for bed I realized the bug *was* on my end after all. I forgot to add the extra pins when I added the sidechain feature.

Try it now (2.81)!

Thanks for the report Bri1! And sticking with it until I really realized the problem!
Old 04-17-2019, 02:09 AM   #715
Bri1
Banned

ibow+give thanks.

Old 04-17-2019, 02:49 AM   #716
sai'ke

*bows back*
Old 04-23-2019, 08:11 PM   #717
J Riley Hill

SO GOOD!
just found this plugin, amazing so excellent.
This has so so many things I have wanted from other filters.
J Riley Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 02:28 AM   #718
sai'ke

Glad you like it.

There are still a few rough edges, but hopefully the manual and AGC manage to prevent most problems.

I was thinking of adding a step sequencer shortcut for the envelopes as well (just some shortcut that makes you set two adjacent nodes to a specific value when clicked), but I need to find some time to actually do this. Pretty busy lately
Old 04-25-2019, 09:10 AM   #719
Eliseat

Sai'ke,

I beg you on my knees: Would you please consider writing your name right beside your cool JSFX plugins? (Like most other coders out there?)

After finding this cool new compressor (I LOVE IT!!) and the other small filters/saturators (Love them all!) its not easy to find them again in myriads of other JSFXs. And yes, I know there are favorites and folders. But NO, I don't want to use them. I want to find YOU and your scripts by the name "Sai'ke"!

Would you? Please, please, please!! ( ˘ ³˘)❤
Old 04-26-2019, 02:02 AM   #720
sai'ke

Alright. I prefixed Saike to them now.

Glad you like 'em. And I'm honored haha

That compressor is bound to go into Squashman (pre-saturation/distortion), albeit in a somewhat simplified form. And maybe with or without an expander too. I'm still working out whether to simplify it a bit and if so, how. It seems a bit cumbersome to have to set attack, decay, threshold and ratio for every band that has a compressor enabled on it.

But it's tricky though, because if I don't expose all the settings, I'd be limiting the user quite a bit in terms of what he or she can do. If I do expose the settings, it's quite a bit of knobs and soon we'll have cockpit-itis on our hands again. Tricky tricky.

I'd appreciate advice, but maybe it'd be good if I open a separate Squashman thread once I have a prototype