Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 03-02-2018, 10:35 AM   #1
andyp24
Human being with feelings

Default Bug? Mute automation after splitting audio items

Hi all

Editing this week, I'm seeing an issue I've not noticed before (recently updated to 5.76).

Going through the playlist, and using "Split Items at Edit or Play cursor" whilst playing.... Very occasionally (I mean once every few hours, when I'm making hundreds of edits) about a second after Splitting the item, the one that's now under the play head will Mute (and the TCP meter panel shows the word "Automated" - the Mute button will be red).

There is no Mute Automation Lane active or visible though, and if I manually UnMute it, it then plays fine for the next few hours before randomly another Split action will cause the Muting again.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Andy
andyp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 10:52 AM   #2
nofish

My guess is that Reaper's automute feature kicks in, as splits (not at silence or zero crossings) can cause clicks.
(Yes it's meant as a feature to protect equipment. )

Have a look in Preferences - Audio - Mute/Solo, if 'Automatically mute...' is enabled.

(If my guess is right, for avoiding the auto muting I'd suggest leaving this feature on for safety though and just reduce levels in Reaper...)
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 11:04 AM   #3
andyp24

Thanks for the suggestion

I do have the "Automatically Mute when a track reaches +18dB" enabled.... although it's never done this before yesterday.

How would a Split (of itself) cause an overmod?

Firstly, I have AutoCrossfade on Split enabled (40ms length), and secondly (even if I didn't) I'm not removing any audio, just putting a nominal cut on the playlist, so even if it were separating the clips between one sample and the next then there should be no difference in what goes to the output....

Thirdly, it seems to play for about 0.5s after the Split action and then Mute, which seems far too slow for a safety feature!!

Andy
Old 03-02-2018, 12:10 PM   #4
nofish

Ok, under these circumstances it sounds like the issue could rather be something else.

Sure a split of itself wouldn't cause this, I was thinking of removing audio in between (and then when sudden volume jumps from silence to not faded in items happen it could produce clicks), but obviously that's not the case here, so I don't have any other ideas, sorry.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 12:31 PM   #5
andyp24

Yeah, thanks for responding, but to clarify for anyone else who might be able to offer something -

this happens very shortly after making the Split in an audio item (about half a second later) and no audio has been removed in the meantime, so it's not transient spikes caused by a discontinuity.

Levels aren't that hot compared to any other recording I've done, and the Mutes don't seem to have happened at edit points where the speech is particularly loud.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:28 PM   #6
andyp24

Update - after it happened again, I looked at the Automation lane. Although the tickboxes for Visible and Arm are both unselected, when I actually opened up the Lane, the line for muting was all the way down. There is only one Automation point on it, which is at time 0 (beginning of the timeline) and for some reason it was pulled down all the way from there for the whole timeline.

I have no explanation for this, but am 95% sure it did not occur with v5.7 and earlier.