Old 08-06-2019, 07:58 AM   #81
schwa
Administrator

There shouldn't be any significant performance difference using it as take FX vs track FX, even if you have it on multiple takes on the same track (all instances share data internally anyway). But in the latest dev builds (and the next release), there also shouldn't be any difference in the undo/reset behavior.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 08:43 AM   #82
Chris7t6
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
There shouldn't be any significant performance difference using it as take FX vs track FX, even if you have it on multiple takes on the same track (all instances share data internally anyway). But in the latest dev builds (and the next release), there also shouldn't be any difference in the undo/reset behavior.
This is all great news, Schwa!

I've really become quite fond of not having Melodyne in my track fx chain. It's good to know this isn't hindering my system somehow.
Chris7t6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:43 AM   #83
zabukowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris7t6 View Post
This is all great news, Schwa!

I've really become quite fond of not having Melodyne in my track fx chain. It's good to know this isn't hindering my system somehow.
Yes that's good news - i guess using ARA as take FX will become recommended usage. Obviously there is a good reason behind Presonus decision not to support ARA as track FX.
zabukowski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 01:30 AM   #84
Burnsjethro

Could someone explain how you use Melodyne as Take Fx please?
Burnsjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 06:12 AM   #85
schwa
Administrator

Just want to say one more time that as of the next build, there shouldn't be any difference between ARA track FX and take FX with respect to undo and resetting behavior (or any other behavior). There's no reason to prefer one over the other for any reason other than however you prefer to work.
Old 08-07-2019, 06:39 AM   #86
deeb

Awesome!
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 06:40 AM   #87
mustgroove

Quote:
Just want to say one more time that as of the next build, there shouldn't be any difference between ARA track FX and take FX with respect to undo and resetting behavior (or any other behavior). There's no reason to prefer one over the other for any reason other than however you prefer to work.
Thanks for clarifying schwa
mustgroove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 05:00 AM   #88
multibody

@schwa:

It happend several times that I wanted to undo stuff in melodyne and pressed ctrl+z repeatedly without having focus on the melodyne window accidentaly.

This leads to re-analysis and loss of all melodyne edits as soon as the melodyne-addition undo-state is reached:

Wouldn`t it be a reasonable workaround to avoid this frustration at the current stage of melodyne implementation to optionally skip these undo-states or create a warning-popup as proposed before?

Thanks!
multibody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 09:39 AM   #89
schwa
Administrator

Well, that's what that undo point *is*. If we skip it, you can't undo adding the FX, so undoing can get you into a project state that you were never in originally. In general, if you add any FX and then undo to the point where you added the FX, whatever you did with those FX settings will be reset. So I think this will be a live-with-it situation.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:50 AM   #90
Chris7t6

Quote:
Well, that's what that undo point *is*. If we skip it, you can't undo adding the FX, so undoing can get you into a project state that you were never in originally. In general, if you add any FX and then undo to the point where you added the FX, whatever you did with those FX settings will be reset. So I think this will be a live-with-it situation.
Yeah, Schwa. I see what you're saying here.

Obviously I've been thinking about this alot while trying to navigate this issue.

In it's current state, Melodyne integration hasn't gotten me into any big issues. I think this is mainly because of the real world use of the plugin. I have not found myself losing anything since the integration has been improved because of the simple fact that i'm not TRYING to screw it up.

I realized that when working with melodyne or any other plugin - I just don't really undo all that much and certainly never multiple times. I realized I was just still worried that wiping my edits COULD happen. PTSD I suppose.

But really, I personally feel pretty solid with ARA as it pertains to Melodyne and Reaper at this point.

It can only get better right?

Am I being a real simpleton here?
Old 08-08-2019, 04:48 PM   #91
puddi

Quote:
Yeah, Schwa. I see what you're saying here.

Obviously I've been thinking about this alot while trying to navigate this issue.

In it's current state, Melodyne integration hasn't gotten me into any big issues. I think this is mainly because of the real world use of the plugin. I have not found myself losing anything since the integration has been improved because of the simple fact that i'm not TRYING to screw it up.

I realized that when working with melodyne or any other plugin - I just don't really undo all that much and certainly never multiple times. I realized I was just still worried that wiping my edits COULD happen. PTSD I suppose.

But really, I personally feel pretty solid with ARA as it pertains to Melodyne and Reaper at this point.

It can only get better right?

Am I being a real simpleton here?
Yeah, feels really solid here after the recent improvements. I've also been enjoying using it as a take FX instead of track FX after learning that there's no significant performance difference between the two. I always thought 1+1=2.
puddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 09:09 PM   #92
Chris7t6

Quote:
One request would be that Reaper knows that Melodyne is already on items on a selected track. If you mess up and add Melodyne as a track or take fx when it is already a track or take fix, it can get real wonky real quick.

It would be great if there was a “hey dummy! You’ve already got Melodyne on items on this track! You can’t also use it as a track fx!” message. Also one for the other way around. It would be great if it just was not allowed internally. Or maybe there’s a script we could add if we so desired?
Old 08-09-2019, 02:40 AM   #93
Burnsjethro

"Yeah, feels really solid here after the recent improvements. I've also been enjoying using it as a take FX instead of track FX after learning that there's no significant performance difference between the two. I always thought 1+1=2. "

Excuse my confusion but are you still advocate using Melodyne as "take FX" rather than "track Fx" and if so what is the advantage as far as Melodyne is concerned?
Burnsjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 05:00 AM   #94
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
It would be great if there was a “hey dummy! You’ve already got Melodyne on items on this track! You can’t also use it as a track fx!” message. Also one for the other way around. It would be great if it just was not allowed internally. Or maybe there’s a script we could add if we so desired?
Although it doesn't call the user a dummy, you should get this error message if you try that:

Old 08-10-2019, 01:58 AM   #95
Chris7t6

Quote:
Although it doesn't call the user a dummy, you should get this error message if you try that:

It doesn’t block me from adding a take FX to an already “melodyned” track.

And I can also insert melodyne as a track fx when there are instances on takes on those tracks.

After that happens and I try to remove one or the other instance, melodyne gives up and resets.

UPDATE: now it doesn’t really seem to matter. It looks like no matter where you put these instances ( track or item ) it’s all the same thing. I was having troubles with the last dev build.

So yeah. Still doesn’t block you from adding BUT doesn’t seem to cause any real issues anymore.

So THANKS, DEVS!

Last edited by Chris7t6; 08-11-2019 at 09:34 AM. Reason: UPDATE!
Old 09-22-2019, 08:39 AM   #96
dee123

Default seems a workaround

i also had trouble with melodyne randomly (at least, for no apparent reason) not being able to load the settings / losing all edits. used as track insert.

it seems changing the relative file settings to absolute, as suggested, fixes it. very strange! but then this must be some fixable bug?

hope the problem can be traced.

dee

edit //
ps i wasn't aware this was the pre-release forum, i'm working with the latest normal release. still i hope the problem with losing edits in melodyne will be fixed without any workarounds in the next version!

Last edited by dee123; 09-25-2019 at 08:39 PM.
dee123 is offline   Reply With Quote