Old 11-12-2019, 04:31 PM   #1
Alleyoop
Human being with feelings

Default Recording a large show - any tips?

I'm playing at a big Reunion show this weekend and I'm doing a multi channel record of the show. There are six bands and 44 channels off a Presonus mixer.
I've only ever recorded 8 channels before. I've set up all the channels in Reaper, named and coloured.
Any tips for a recording of this size?
I'm also trying to figure out how much storage space 44 channels times 5 hours will take up. About 140 gigabytes?

Any help welcomed,

Thanks, Al.
Alleyoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 02:28 PM   #2
serr

About 115GB with 24 bit 48k files. The Presonus will be running at 48k.

If you aren't also mixing the show with Reaper, set the block size high (512 or 1024 samples) to keep everything relaxed.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 09:28 PM   #3
SonicAxiom

one option worth considering to increase stability and decrease the risk of HDD choking is to record the entire show into a single multichannel file instead of recording into 44 separate files by setting one track's channel count to 48 channels and then set its input range to "48-channel" (inputs 1-48). You will be recording 4 empty tracks but it will still put a lot less stress onto the read/write head. You can route all channels from the recording track to their own dedicated track for regular mixing/processing. Another advantage is that you can very easily edit the show as a single split will be enough to split all signals which greatly facilitates and speeds up editing. I'm always doing it this way.

Recording into a single multichannel file doesn't yield the same performance advantages if you are recording onto an SSD but it still comes with the aforementioned editing workflow.

Old 12-03-2019, 05:13 AM   #4
Alleyoop

Thanks for the tips.
Alleyoop is offline   Reply With Quote