Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 06-22-2012, 08:50 AM   #1
deckard
Human being with feelings

Default Anybody use one of these with Reaper???

Thinking of getting one of these to add to my DAW [using Reaper, of course].

http://www.arturia.com/evolution/en/...E61/intro.html

Any comments?
deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:52 AM   #2
Travst

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckard View Post
Thinking of getting one of these to add to my DAW [using Reaper, of course].

http://www.arturia.com/evolution/en/...E61/intro.html

Any comments?
I have the Laboratory 49-key. Very solid keyboard that plays well, in my opinion. Plenty of assignable knobs and sliders. I really like the keyboard and use it as a second tier with my JX-8P. The Laboratory software is decent, but somewhat buggy. A new release is due out soon.

I have 4 of their softsynths now and like them a lot, they are much better than Laboratory overall. There are some sites that have deals on the package with 3 free softsynths. Shop around for the best deal, Hello Music has been blowing them out. As a controller, I like it better than anything I've tried in that price range. As well as using it with Reaper, I am controlling a JV-1080 module and it works great. I've not had any issues with Reaper, the software, or the controller under 64-bit Windows with 64-bit Reaper other than some crackling that requires buffer size adjustment to correct.

The downside: Laboratory is a bit buggy at present and shuts down on occasion. In addition, Arturia tech support SUCKS. You will get a much quicker response if you ask a question publicly over at Gearslutz. The staff seems to monitor forums to squash problems before they get bigger. Even the support on their own forums sucks. Post on Gearslutz, an you'll have a quick answer.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:57 AM   #3
deckard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travst View Post
I have the Laboratory 49-key. Very solid keyboard that plays well, in my opinion. Plenty of assignable knobs and sliders. I really like the keyboard and use it as a second tier with my JX-8P. The Laboratory software is decent, but somewhat buggy. A new release is due out soon.

I have 4 of their softsynths now and like them a lot, they are much better than Laboratory overall. There are some sites that have deals on the package with 3 free softsynths. Shop around for the best deal, Hello Music has been blowing them out. As a controller, I like it better than anything I've tried in that price range. As well as using it with Reaper, I am controlling a JV-1080 module and it works great. I've not had any issues with Reaper, the software, or the controller under 64-bit Windows with 64-bit Reaper other than some crackling that requires buffer size adjustment to correct.

The downside: Laboratory is a bit buggy at present and shuts down on occasion. In addition, Arturia tech support SUCKS. You will get a much quicker response if you ask a question publicly over at Gearslutz. The staff seems to monitor forums to squash problems before they get bigger. Even the support on their own forums sucks. Post on Gearslutz, an you'll have a quick answer.
Many thanks for the honest info! Haven't picked it up yet, but, it is definitely going to be my next purchase.

BTW, I love Gearslutz. Visit their website probably 10x a day. . .literally. They are the ones that referred me to REAPER.
deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:01 AM   #4
Travst

I tried a number of DAWs before settling on Reaper. It's a very fine application. You might want to take a run over to your local chain music store if you have one and poke around to narrow things down a bit. It may be hard to find an Arturia keyboard to play locally, I wasn't able to try it. However, I had the option to send it back if I didn't like it. I paid $265 for my package and feel that it was money well spent considering the 3 free great quality softsynths. I hope they patch Laboratory soon, it's supposed be be a 64-bit app at release.