Default What is the easiest way kick sample audio to midi

I basically look for an easy way to convert drum samples to midi

I would then put each one individually in different tracks in reaper

I would then view all midi notes on same midi view to program drum beats
read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 11:46 AM   #2
nait
Human being with feelings

Edit: OK, I get what you're asking now. Sounds like you want to take a drum LOOP and convert that to MIDI notes, right?
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): Asus Z270A Prime Mobo, i7-6700k, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia GTX 1070, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 11:54 AM   #3
read

Quote:
Originally Posted by nait View Post
Edit: OK, I get what you're asking now. Sounds like you want to take a drum LOOP and convert that to MIDI notes, right?
Dear Nait I was looking for a way to program drums, I'll try reasamplomatic later on tonight I think that's the best option

I have idrum from izotope but I'll try stick as much I can in reaper for now...

Do you program drum beats in reaper also using reasamplomatic? Do you keep each sound on a different track for further pr ocessing?
Old 12-04-2019, 12:15 PM   #4
nait

OK, so I shouldn't have edited my post, as it looks like I actually understood correct the first time. hahah

So, how I do drums. Well, I do it multiple ways. I've used various VSTis that do multiple outputs. I've set it up myself using ReaSamplomatic5000. Any time I do it, no matter how I do it.. YES... always keep each drum part separated. You can actually keep the MIDI all in one track though, if you route things properly. Drums take a lot of patience to mix right, and you want each part separate so you can eq/compress/FX them individually. This is very important.

The great thing about MPL's ReaSam5000 manager is it will do all the routing for you. It isn't too complex, but it's still nice that it's automated. I sometimes use VSTis for drums (often kick drums) though, so I don't really use this manager anymore. I actually templated out my drums to look something like this:

Drums Mix
---- Drums MIDI
---- Kick 1
---- Kick 2
---- Toms 1
---- Toms 2
---- Snare 1
---- Snare 2
---- Hi Hats 1
---- Hi Hats 2
---- Cymbals

Now, you'll note a few things, maybe..
1) Drums Mix folder - call it whatever you want, but I group all my drums together. This lets me apply FX to them as a whole, like compression to "glue" together, or a bit of eq. It also organizes things nicer for me, so I can collapse that folder and hide the stuff below it.
2) Drums MIDI on same level as drums parts - this is necessary (without adding complexity or introducing potential for feedback) so that you can route MIDI from this track to the individual parts, and then the audio from those up to the mix bus (Drums Mix).
3) Multiple tracks for each drum part - I layer a lot of drum parts. Some things need to be eq'd / compressed differently. Kick drums can be a pain to get cutting through a mix properly, so often people layer a couple different sounds.. your usual kick sound, with a clickier sound (which also helps it be heard on crappy speakers). Snare has similar issues.

I also have a couple other folders too, but I can't remember at what level I put them.. but I have a folder for some effects specific to the drums, such as perhaps a particular reverb, and also a folder for routing all the parts to for parallel compression (that's a long topic I can't really teach you well enough on, but there's a lot of good info on the net about that).

I can elaborate a lot more, but have to head out for a short walk now. feel free to ask anything!
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): Asus Z270A Prime Mobo, i7-6700k, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia GTX 1070, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.
Old 12-04-2019, 12:22 PM   #5
nait

Also, yes, I program 100% of my drum tracks. More on that later.
Old 12-04-2019, 12:58 PM   #6
read

I'll test in a few hours and let you know how it goes thanks Nait!
Old 12-04-2019, 01:05 PM   #7
nait

OK, so a little more time on the programming part...

I do it in a way that probably makes it a little more difficult than is necessary (just because I've done it this way for a long time in other DAWs, and you know what they say about teaching an old dog new tricks), but I'll describe that and some other ways.

I use the MIDI editor and in piano roll mode. I just program the individual parts on the individual tracks. So why have the "Drums MIDI" track, you might ask? Why indeed.. in case I ever decide I'm going to put it all in one spot.. but there's really no reason for me to have it. Some people like their MIDI all in one spot though so they can more easily visualize the interaction between the various drum kit parts. I did used to program my drums on one track though, so this is something that I've moved on from. The only reason I moved on from that is I find it easier just to throw down a kick track and program in some kicks by hand. I'll work on a melody for a while with just a kick going, then I'll add in other drum parts later, and add in various patterns and such.

So things you can do for programming drums:

You could change the MIDI editor to a mode that is better for drums:
- Under view, change it to named notes. Kenny has a good video on this, but you can create your own drum sampler where each note is a different part of the kit, and then name those notes on your left side. So for example, in place of where C1 (whatever number that is) would be, it might say Kick, instead. MPL ReaSam Mgr is very good for this too. In the MIDI editor, you can also change the rectangle bars to be equal sized triangles/diamonds ("drum mode"). This just makes it quicker to enter in notes, rather than having to worry about note length. These options are under view in the MIDI editor.

It's been a while since I've really used MPL ReaSamplomatic 5000, but I seem to recall it having some sort of pattern sequencer in it that can speed up drums programming.

Another thing I sometimes do is hit record in Reaper, and hammer away at the Pads on my keyboard, which I will map to various drum kit parts. This gives a little more human feel.

Speaking of human feel, you can add a humanizer effect (there is a JS one with reaper) to add some swing, or some quantization / velocity randomness to give it a more human feel. I like to do this to hi hats, in particular, and with some added delay to them too to thicken them up and make them less boring / programmed sounding.
Old 12-04-2019, 01:47 PM   #8
nait

One more thing, I forgot to mention..
You can also download MIDI files (i.e. .MID files) for drums too. You'll have to figure out what note maps to what drum kit part, sometimes, but those can be good if you're unsure how to put a beat together. I personally do it all myself though.. no loops or anything pre-programmed by someone else.
Old 12-04-2019, 02:00 PM   #9
read

Hi Nait, here's the update

i used reasamplomatic after all it seems to work fine, i'm sending from the track called drum programming to the other channels..routing them together

i also can control all midi notes from a single track by selecting those things the arrow shows in the picture

I found an action called "insert note at mouse cursor" i've put the keyboard shortcut ` to do that, it seems very convenient, i'm placing notes while looping

i think this will work for me

Thanks for the insight to your method as well i'll try see what else this can be improved with

currently i don't plan to use many drum samples same time so i think naming is not issue but defenly good to know that thats available .mid files

Last edited by read; 12-04-2019 at 02:19 PM.