COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :

Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > NINJAM Discussion > NINJAM User Discussion

Old 05-24-2020, 01:14 AM   #1
harmand
Human being with feelings

Default Disappointing tests (maybe because of my fault)

I too, like many others, have been recently and… spontaneously interested in the so called "online jamming". So I've been testing NinJam (through JamTaba, actually) with some friends.
I have to admit, however, that I was quite disappointed. Maybe I'm wrong, but I really can't understand how, in describing the features of such a software, we can talk about "jamming together" or “jamming with other people”.

As far as I understand, NinJam intentionally introduces a considerable delay in sound delivering, in order to "compensate" for network delays so that the sounds of the various sources reach their destinations in a coherent and synchronized manner.
However, if on the one hand this is an advantage in terms of listening, on the other hand it greatly penalizes the perception itself of "playing", because while you play you don't listen to what you (and the others) are actually playing: you listen, instead, to what was played many seconds before. Likewise, the notes you play right now will be heard (by both you and the others) much later.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but it seems to me that the "feeling" of playing itself (that is, the direct link between what you do and what you hear) is missing to a large extent. Which is, at least, quite unnatural.

The issue becomes even... trickier if you play an acoustic or semi-acoustic instrument, such as a sax, a guitar, a drumset (also an electronic one) or... your own voice; an instrument, namely, that "sounds" even without any connections to sound equipment.
In that case, indeed, in addition to hearing through the Internet the things done (by you and by others) some time ago, YOU also hear through your ears (even if muffled somehow) the things you are doing now, on top of the rest. A kind of weird continuous... overdubbing, where everyone almost plays... blind (or, to better say, deaf).
Not to mention what you "feel" with your hands, fingers, throat...

Undoubtedly when playing some looping groove, with little variations and steady rhythm (not by chance NinJam includes a metronome), the “overdubbing” gets somehow covered up, but you still are quite far from the idea of "playing an instrument" and very far from that of "jamming together".
I'm sure that such a system can be useful and even fun in particular situations, but I really wouldn't call it suitable, no way, for those who hope to simply “jam together” with others through the net.

Or maybe my friends and I didn't understand how NinJam works and made some serious installation or configuration mistakes…? :]
harmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 01:25 AM   #2
bobobo
Human being with feelings

i fear you picked up the idea of ninjam very well

using ninjam ist somehow like playing to a looper with all defiances this provides

realtime audio without or low latency needs reliable connections time- and datawise. An internet connection cannot guarantee it because technology behind it is not designed for it.

a link with not too many false statements

Last edited by bobobo; 05-24-2020 at 01:34 AM.
bobobo is offline   Reply With Quote