Old 05-12-2012, 06:35 PM   #1
mixwell
Human being with feelings

Default Magic mouse behaviour

Hi,
A new reaper user (demo - latest) but i am considering the switch later.

I have a Magic mouse and turns out that its too aggressive with zoom functions and scrolling in the arrange window.
A minor zoom and its way too much expanded. is there a way to control it?

Also,
a. is there a way to reverse left to right scrolling ?
b. can i horizontally scroll the mixer without having to click on it first?
c. I cant figure out how to vertical zoom .

Would appreciate the help.
mixwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:28 PM   #2
Steve Folta

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixwell View Post
I have a Magic mouse and turns out that its too aggressive with zoom functions and scrolling in the arrange window.
A minor zoom and its way too much expanded. is there a way to control it?

Also,
a. is there a way to reverse left to right scrolling ?
REAPER / Preferences / General / Keyboard/Multi-touch, then play with the stuff in the "Multi-touch" section.
Steve Folta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:04 PM   #3
AnyOtherCity

I don't have one anymore but i vaguely remember there were some settings to do with 'inertia' in the OSX mouse settings that made a big difference (i.e. it doesn't just keep scrolling after your finger has left the mouse).
And there is definitely a way to reverse the left to right scrolling because i managed to do it but since I no longer have it i can't check, sorry! Pretty sure the left-right thing is in the section referred to by the previous poster.
AnyOtherCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 12:34 AM   #4
mixwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Folta View Post
REAPER / Preferences / General / Keyboard/Multi-touch, then play with the stuff in the "Multi-touch" section.
thank you. will check it out soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnyOtherCity View Post
I don't have one anymore but i vaguely remember there were some settings to do with 'inertia' in the OSX mouse settings that made a big difference (i.e. it doesn't just keep scrolling after your finger has left the mouse).
And there is definitely a way to reverse the left to right scrolling because i managed to do it but since I no longer have it i can't check, sorry! Pretty sure the left-right thing is in the section referred to by the previous poster.
ok. thanks. i have been using a normal mouse since past week. can't wait to try magic mouse again
Old 05-20-2012, 11:25 AM   #5
mrkristopher

I just got a new iMac with a Magic Mouse and it's taking a little a bit for me to get adjusted to using it in Reaper. It's like a trackpad and a mouse in one; my brain wants to use it as one or the other, so I'm having a difficult time treating it as both.

To combat inertia, don't lift your finger when done scrolling. The scrolling will stop dead when your finger stops, and then you can lift it. OR, let the inertia scroll for you, then set your finger down on the mouse to make it stop where it is.

I tried finding an option to disable inertia, but I couldn't find one. There's a Reaper option that mentions inertia, but it doesn't affect left/right scrolling.

I downloaded a free program called MagicPrefs. It allows you to expand the gestures and options available to you with your Magic Mouse. It's been working pretty good for me so far.
mrkristopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:39 PM   #6
gparreiras

Suggestion:

Go to Actions List, Find Shortcut and scroll... you'll see to where it's mapped, and I suggest the following mods to get more "brain friendly", so to speak:

- Mousewheel (this corresponds to the vertical scroll on the magic mouse). Set it to: VIEW: Scroll Vertically.
as the horizontal scroll already navigates, I thought it would be more logical to navigate vertical/horizontal with the same simple gesture: 1 finger scroll on each direction, of course.

- Now, for Zoom In and Out, follow the same logic w/ Cmd modifier.
Cmd+Mousewheel as Zoom Vertical.
Cmd+HorizWheel as Zoom Horizontal.

hope it helps.
gparreiras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:38 PM   #7
TimOBrien

Quite frankly, after years of using a standard Windoze mouse (my last mac was 10 years ago),
when I got my iMac I went out and bought a common $8 usb wheel mouse and haven't used
my Apple mouse since.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:33 AM   #8
mrkristopher

I've noticed my Magic Mouse has developed a lag for mousewheel-type scrolling. Sometimes I have to wait a few seconds before it will respond. I fixed it by disabling the mouse via bluetooth and reenabling it. Maybe turning the mouse off and turning it back on will work as well, although I haven't tried that approach. Maybe rebooting the Mac would also work. (I tend to keep mine on all the time.)

I just wanted to throw this out there if anyone else has this problem.
mrkristopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:11 AM   #9
mixwell

thanks for the suggestions guys !
turns out that after messing with it for a couple of days, i bought a microsoft optical mouse just to use with Reaper while i still use Magic mouse with PT.
Old 08-05-2022, 05:22 AM   #10
Vladistone

Default best tutorial for mouse weel and magic mouse Mac OS

see there
https://www.creativefieldrecording.c...om-navigation/
how to remapping the mouse action, also reversed action of magic mouse as a "pro tool" configuration
Vladistone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 11:46 AM   #11
Phazma

I have made a feature request to improve this: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=251592
Phazma is offline   Reply With Quote