Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old Today, 01:49 PM   #18681
Geoff Waddington
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navelpluisje View Post
Did check them, but they all use properties.
OK, let's take a use case driven approach.

Can you please describe a use case, or set of use cases for a given display ?

Then we can start the discussion of how to best implement them. using Widgets and Zones.
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:31 PM   #18682
Navelpluisje

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
OK, let's take a use case driven approach.

Can you please describe a use case, or set of use cases for a given display ?

Then we can start the discussion of how to best implement them. using Widgets and Zones.
Was able to reduce the issue a bit. Just checked all the places where I use the ScribbleLine with a modifier and in none of those cases I do change the alignment of the text or set the invert flag. So that one is pretty well covered.

The only little thing I run into is the Valuebar. This is as the VU meter a separate Widget. Use case here is:
  • In default Track mode I show the pan value in the ValueBar as the FaderPort does not have the amount of encoders as we all had hoped for
  • Holding shift makes the Faders the pan 'buttons' (I know ) and make the Valuebar display the Volume.

But while typing and reconsidering things again (What's the effort and what do we gain) I can stick with one value for the display type per widget.

Thanx for letting me really think about this. Also gave me a better idea about how Actions, actioncontext and widgets are related to eachother.

Although I think it is pretty hard to implement well, I hope we can stil keep the door ajar for this option.
Navelpluisje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:58 PM   #18683
JP_

Quote:
CSI values are represented internally using the range 0.0 - 1.0.

20Hz = 0.0
20,000Hz = 1.0

-30db = 0.0
+30db = 1.0

and so on.

The 0 - 127 is converted to the same range 0.0 - 1.0.

No need to do anything on your end, it is all handled internally.
Wow, that’s easy then hahaha! Nice one Geoff!

*edit*

Ok, I’ve swapped instances of “encoder” to “fader7bit” and we are in business! It does mean rewriting all of the plugins though as functionality suits the vertical rotaries a lot better on certain stuff.

Hm, now it’s a case of “do I prefer more precision” or “do I want two layers of a desk but lose precision”. More isn’t always better… Thanks for all the help monkey, that’s phenomenal work, and blind too!

The way it skips turns due to the 127 steps is infuriating hahaha it makes the device feel what it is (cheap), whereas when the encoders are in play the precision in proq3 is awesome, it feels like a more premium device etc.

I think it’s worth coding out a standard one if it’s this close, I might try moving away from proq3 and using channel strip eqs only like back in the day on real desks!

Last edited by JP_; Today at 03:39 PM.
JP_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:43 PM   #18684
lubvic

Hi all,
i'm updating to new version 2.0 because of color scribble support for xtouch, very great work, it really improve my workflow, based on colored tracks!!!
I'd like to know, is there a way to arbitrary set displays to a wanted color, for example, when changing to SEND zone, FX zones or else...?
Thanks!
lubvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:58 PM   #18685
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubvic View Post
Hi all,
i'm updating to new version 2.0 because of color scribble support for xtouch, very great work, it really improve my workflow, based on colored tracks!!!
I'd like to know, is there a way to arbitrary set displays to a wanted color, for example, when changing to SEND zone, FX zones or else...?
Thanks!
Not at the moment, but it's on the future upgrades list.

I have an X-Touch myself, and think it would be great to be able to set a single color for each of Sends/Receives/FXMenu, it would provide great visual feedback as to which mode you are in.
Old Today, 04:08 PM   #18686
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP_ View Post
Wow, that’s easy then hahaha! Nice one Geoff!

*edit*

Ok, I’ve swapped instances of “encoder” to “fader7bit” and we are in business! It does mean rewriting all of the plugins though as functionality suits the vertical rotaries a lot better on certain stuff.

Hm, now it’s a case of “do I prefer more precision” or “do I want two layers of a desk but lose precision”. More isn’t always better… Thanks for all the help monkey, that’s phenomenal work, and blind too!

The way it skips turns due to the 127 steps is infuriating hahaha it makes the device feel what it is (cheap), whereas when the encoders are in play the precision in proq3 is awesome, it feels like a more premium device etc.

I think it’s worth coding out a standard one if it’s this close, I might try moving away from proq3 and using channel strip eqs only like back in the day on real desks!
Great stuff !

And now you have a very real understanding of the difference between encoders and 7 bit faders, and why we love encoders so much around these parts
Old Today, 04:35 PM   #18687
JP_

Quote:
Great stuff !

And now you have a very real understanding of the difference between encoders and 7 bit faders, and why we love encoders so much around these parts
Yeah! Thanks Geoff! I've done some testing and I'm not prepared to sacrifice precision for more buttons. On my MCU presets for bx 4000E+G I have it mapped so that one turn of my encoder is the same as one tick on the software knob. It feels very 1:1 in that way.

The 7BitFader setup makes it so I have to turn 2-4 clicks every 1 software tick, so it's really "off" in comparison.

I really appreciate the help from everyone though I will be sticking to the MCU mode.

Out of interest, is there anything out there like the x-touch but with higher quality bits/all encoders etc?

Or even a controller that looks like a similar setup to an SSL with the knobs in the same place etc?

*edit*
Found this:
https://www.gak.co.uk/en/ssl-uc-1-ch...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://rocksolidaudio.co.uk/

Last edited by JP_; Today at 05:03 PM.
JP_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:14 PM   #18688
MixMonkey

Quote:
Yeah! Thanks Geoff! I've done some testing and I'm not prepared to sacrifice precision for more buttons. On my MCU presets for bx 4000E+G I have it mapped so that one turn of my encoder is the same as one tick on the software knob. It feels very 1:1 in that way.

The 7BitFader setup makes it so I have to turn 2-4 clicks every 1 software tick, so it's really "off" in comparison.

I really appreciate the help from everyone though I will be sticking to the MCU mode.

Out of interest, is there anything out there like the x-touch but with higher quality bits/all encoders etc?

Or even a controller that looks like a similar setup to an SSL with the knobs in the same place etc?

*edit*
Found this:

Sorry, that was my bad. I really shouldn't do these things so late at night I changed all the control values but forgot to search+replace Encoder for Fader7Bit. Doh!

Anyway, it sounds like you're sticking with Encoders anyway (wise choice imo).
MixMonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:18 PM   #18689
MixMonkey

Quote:

*edit*
Found this:

Are you looking to solely control plugins? or do you want the faders/track mixing thing as well?
MixMonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:07 PM   #18690
AtmanActive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubvic View Post
Thanks!
I did it like this in TouchOSC, can't guarantee that the same approach can be translated to your device:

Code:
Zone "Track"
    ButtonLED| TrackUniqueSelect { "Track" }
Zone "TrackSend"
    ButtonLED| FixedRGBColorDisplay { 0 55 155 }
Zone "TrackReceive"
    ButtonLED| FixedRGBColorDisplay { 0 155 55 }
AtmanActive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:26 PM   #18691
jacksoonbrowne

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtmanActive View Post
Thanks @AtmanActive,
I did a quick peek at the sites and they will be super helpful for me getting quickly up to speed on TouchOsc.

I will be digging into them tonight

Cheers,
Roy
jacksoonbrowne is online now   Reply With Quote