Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 06-25-2022, 07:52 AM   #1
mikehende
Human being with feelings

Default How to use Realearn for multiple clicks?

Hey guys. Right now I am using Realearn to trigger both BBD and MReverb from my phone via TouchOSC but I have only to check and uncheck the plugins activation boxes at the top right in both plugins.

However now, please see attached screenshot of Installoper plugin. I would like to trigger each of those 4 loop sizes by either clicking on the square boxes below each loop or by clicking on the ON/OFF buttons of the 4 loop sizes, can this be done please and if yes, how?
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 11.42.39 AM.png (74.0 KB, 77 views)
mikehende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 11:57 PM   #2
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehende View Post
Hey guys. Right now I am using Realearn to trigger both BBD and MReverb from my phone via TouchOSC but I have only to check and uncheck the plugins activation boxes at the top right in both plugins.

However now, please see attached screenshot of Installoper plugin. I would like to trigger each of those 4 loop sizes by either clicking on the square boxes below each loop or by clicking on the ON/OFF buttons of the 4 loop sizes, can this be done please and if yes, how?
What happens if you press "Learn target" and then change the loop size in this plug-in?
helgoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 04:00 AM   #3
mikehende

Oh sorry, I did not give enough details for my purpose with this.

My aim is to trigger the 4 loops sizes from my phone via TouchOSC so I will need to create 4 separate buttons in Touch for each of the 4 loop sizes. So my question is, can Realearn be used to do this with just the one Instalooper GUI in any way or would I need to run and have open on my screen 4 instalooper GUI's, one for each learning target?
Old 06-26-2022, 12:23 PM   #4
helgoboss

Quote:
Oh sorry, I did not give enough details for my purpose with this.

My aim is to trigger the 4 loops sizes from my phone via TouchOSC so I will need to create 4 separate buttons in Touch for each of the 4 loop sizes. So my question is, can Realearn be used to do this with just the one Instalooper GUI in any way or would I need to run and have open on my screen 4 instalooper GUI's, one for each learning target?
This depends if Instalooper's loop size parameter is a automatable. If yes, you can use ReaLearn to change it. Check if it's in the parameter list (you can see the parameter list by clicking the UI button).
Old 06-27-2022, 06:03 AM   #5
mikehende

Yes, even the free version of Instalooper has a Parameter's list but would I need it if I won't ever need to adjust any loop size or other parameters? My plan is to simply set and forget each of the 4 loop sizes showing in the GUI and simply trigger [toggle] them on and off whenever needed, that's it.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot_25.png (40.7 KB, 67 views)
Old 06-29-2022, 04:11 AM   #6
mikehende

Sorry to bump, just checking if any way to use only one instalooper GUI to trigger the 4 loops please or to give up on this?
Old 06-29-2022, 06:17 AM   #7
helgoboss

Quote:
Yes, even the free version of Instalooper has a Parameter's list but would I need it if I won't ever need to adjust any loop size or other parameters? My plan is to simply set and forget each of the 4 loop sizes showing in the GUI and simply trigger [toggle] them on and off whenever needed, that's it.
Ah, it sounded like you wanted to change loop sizes.

So you want to use on/off checkboxes. Then the question is ... is the on/off box automatable? Why not simply try to press "Learn source" and then click the on/off box?
Old 06-29-2022, 06:33 AM   #8
mikehende

ok thanks. So I will try to Learn each loop size box's on/off separately.

Not sure which day I will be able to try, hopefully tomorrow, will report back.
Old 06-29-2022, 06:51 AM   #9
helgoboss

I can also recommend to check out the brand new ReaLearn video tutorials: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...jEO1I4s20lZa5G
Old 06-29-2022, 06:57 AM   #10
mikehende

Will do, thanks!
Old 06-30-2022, 04:37 AM   #11
mikehende

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgoboss View Post
I can also recommend to check out the brand new ReaLearn video tutorials: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...jEO1I4s20lZa5G
Tell me this please regarding that midi fighter twister box in your video.

My system is not for any sort of MIDI use, I play mp3's on my pc from any source [DJ Software, YouTube, Spotify e.t.c] through Reaper only for the purpose of applying fx like reverbs, delays e.t.c over the mp3 music.

I have always been looking for a smaller palm-sized box to trigger the plugin fx in Reaper instead of using my phone with TouchOSC. I currently only use MReverb, BBD and Instalooper fx. I don't have to adjust any parameters in any of those 3 plugins, only toggle the fx on and off. Can I do this with the Midi Figther box and Realearn please? If not, any other similar device you can think of?
Old 06-30-2022, 06:27 AM   #12
helgoboss

Quote:
Tell me this please regarding that midi fighter twister box in your video.

My system is not for any sort of MIDI use, I play mp3's on my pc from any source [DJ Software, YouTube, Spotify e.t.c] through Reaper only for the purpose of applying fx like reverbs, delays e.t.c over the mp3 music.

I have always been looking for a smaller palm-sized box to trigger the plugin fx in Reaper instead of using my phone with TouchOSC. I currently only use MReverb, BBD and Instalooper fx. I don't have to adjust any parameters in any of those 3 plugins, only toggle the fx on and off. Can I do this with the Midi Figther box and Realearn please? If not, any other similar device you can think of?
Yes, sure. ReaLearn and the Twister can be used to switch FX on and off ... and much more.
Old 06-30-2022, 06:39 AM   #13
mikehende

Thanks but damn it! Wish I had known this before as I just bought the Korg Kaoss Pad Quad few weeks ago as a hardware fx alternative. Problem with that is, I can't use it when relaxing and playing music a distance from my rig. That is why I went through so much trouble to use my phone with TouchOSC for this.

With this controller, since it uses only one USB cable I will have the options to run one 25' cable to use it wherever I should be sitting and maybe even make it wireless which would be my ultimate aim but got to wait now until I will have the budget to get that device.
Old 06-30-2022, 07:09 AM   #14
helgoboss

Quote:
Thanks but damn it! Wish I had known this before as I just bought the Korg Kaoss Pad Quad few weeks ago as a hardware fx alternative. Problem with that is, I can't use it when relaxing and playing music a distance from my rig. That is why I went through so much trouble to use my phone with TouchOSC for this.

With this controller, since it uses only one USB cable I will have the options to run one 25' cable to use it wherever I should be sitting and maybe even make it wireless which would be my ultimate aim but got to wait now until I will have the budget to get that device.
It's not the only controller in this category, so you could also look into alternatives. All I can say is that the Twister has a good build quality, doesn't get into one's way and is built in a way that makes it suitable for many different scenarios.

One thing I want to point out: The device consists of two types of buttons, the side buttons and the push encoders. The side buttons need much force to be pressed. The push encoders don't need that much force but they make an audible click when pressed down. That's good for some scenarios (prevents accidental presses) but not so good if you want to use that thing to "play" something, e.g. trigger loops.
Old 06-30-2022, 07:21 AM   #15
mikehende

I see, thanks for the heads up. What about any of these simple small USB midi controllers, will work for my purpose please especially the Akai?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...BoCwUQQAvD_BwE

https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-XTO...68003003&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-625...82482243&psc=1
Old 06-30-2022, 07:25 AM   #16
helgoboss

They all seem to be general-purpose MIDI controllers, so they should work with ReaLearn. The devil is in the detail, e.g. some controllers don't send MIDI messages for some of their buttons and instead execute built-in functions. In that case, you can't assign custom functions to them. But based on my experience that's rare, fortunately.
Old 06-30-2022, 07:28 AM   #17
mikehende

Thanks for checking for me. since I will need to toggle only 6 fx's I would prefer either the Akai or this Presonus:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...BoCwUQQAvD_BwE
Old 06-30-2022, 09:47 AM   #18
mikehende

To update, I have written to Behringer, Akai and Presonus supports to clarify on the "custom functions" of their products.

Behringer says:
The X-Touch Compact and X-Touch Mini utilize the X-Touch Editor App which allows the user to change the commands sent out by the unit. The other X-Touch models do NOT utilize this software, their commands are not user configurable. Every DAW has some sort of "MIDI Learn" capability so you can assign the commands sent by the MIDI controller to any function you'd like.

So my takeaway from this is that YES, the X-Touch Mini allows for custom functions and should work for my purpose, can you clarify please?

p.s. Should any of the three controllers I have in mind not end up working for any reason, no worries, I can send it back. Just clarifying first on the custom functions issue before purchasing any of them.

Last edited by mikehende; 06-30-2022 at 10:06 AM.
Old 06-30-2022, 02:13 PM   #19
helgoboss

Quote:
To update, I have written to Behringer, Akai and Presonus supports to clarify on the "custom functions" of their products.

Behringer says:
The X-Touch Compact and X-Touch Mini utilize the X-Touch Editor App which allows the user to change the commands sent out by the unit. The other X-Touch models do NOT utilize this software, their commands are not user configurable. Every DAW has some sort of "MIDI Learn" capability so you can assign the commands sent by the MIDI controller to any function you'd like.

So my takeaway from this is that YES, the X-Touch Mini allows for custom functions and should work for my purpose, can you clarify please?

p.s. Should any of the three controllers I have in mind not end up working for any reason, no worries, I can send it back. Just clarifying first on the custom functions issue before purchasing any of them.
The X-Touch Mini works. The others should work, too, I just haven't tried them. Here's a list of controllers which I tested or users tested: https://github.com/helgoboss/realear...ntrollers.adoc

If you end up using a controller which is not on this list, would be great if you write about the experience.
Old 07-01-2022, 07:26 AM   #20
mikehende

Thanks for the list!

I want to try the Presonus Atom first, just waiting on word from them to clarify on the custom functions.

Of course I will create my own step by step tutorial just as I had done for the Realearn and TouchOSC project and will be glad to share with anyone or upload anywhere.
Old 07-01-2022, 08:35 AM   #21
mikehende

Actually, please see both items in this pic side by side and maybe you can advise on which of the two would be better for me?. What I am thinking is this. I will need to toggle the 4 separate loop sizes in instalooper, no parameters adjustments needed.

if possible [but not absolutely required] I can use one of the rotary knobs to adjust only the wet/dry Knob in MReverb and use one rotary knob to adjust the feedback and Time knobs in BBD. So I will need only 3 rotary knobs and 4 pad buttons [for Instalooper].

Would the Presonus Pad do this or would it better for me to get the Behringer please?

https://i.postimg.cc/dtJK1NBK/Screen...1-20-05-AM.png
Old 07-06-2022, 05:58 AM   #22
mikehende

To update, Presonus Support said they cannot guarantee "to what degree" the Atom controller will allow custom functions. I have purchased the AKAI MPD 218 controller as their Support told me it will do everything I want. Should get it by this w/e and start with your video's instructions, report back then.
Old 07-06-2022, 06:27 AM   #23
helgoboss

I think the Akai MPD 218 is a safe choice. Presonus ... the problem is they make their own DAW (Studio One) and they favour it of course, tailor their devices to it. Making their devices open to any DAW is not their first priority. Akai doesn't have a DAW so it's a high priority for them to make their devices as standard-compliant as possible. That's why I'm a bit more wary of Presonus devices. But that particular Presonus device could be fine! Somebody would need to give it a test.
Old 07-06-2022, 06:34 AM   #24
mikehende

Thanks for the explanation, makes sense. You are correct as the Tech had said the Atom's functions "are pretty much set".
Old 07-06-2022, 07:04 AM   #25
Puck

Quote:
Thanks for the explanation, makes sense. You are correct as the Tech had said the Atom's functions "are pretty much set".
That maybe true. But taking a very quick look at the user manual for the ATOM shows the midi messages it sends and it says you can change them to cc’s if you like. It would seem it’s not that proprietary.
Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 07:09 AM   #26
mikehende

Either way, I think my choice here is best with this Akai as I will have some more options with the extra knobs/pads if ever needed.

Last edited by mikehende; 07-06-2022 at 08:41 AM.
Old 07-11-2022, 09:36 AM   #27
mikehende

Ok, working on this now. At the 3.16 mark in the Tutorial Pat 03 Basic 1 video, it is is showing to check the "Do not send reset messages" but on my screen, that option is not there so should I just move to next steps please?
Attached Images
File Type: png midi.png (16.3 KB, 65 views)
File Type: png midi2.png (87.5 KB, 54 views)
Old 07-11-2022, 10:03 AM   #28
helgoboss

Quote:
Ok, working on this now. At the 3.16 mark in the Tutorial Pat 03 Basic 1 video, it is is showing to check the "Do not send reset messages" but on my screen, that option is not there so should I just move to next steps please?
Read the Quick Start section in the user guide, there's more info about that case.
Old 07-11-2022, 10:46 AM   #29
mikehende

Thx. The no.5 knob on the Akai is turning the Master volume. 4.46 shows 'encoders" but my end is showing CC number 14 "Range Element", is this ok or a problem somewhere?
Attached Images
File Type: png midi4.png (33.6 KB, 57 views)
Old 07-11-2022, 10:51 AM   #30
helgoboss

Quote:
Thx. The no.5 knob on the Akai is turning the Master volume. 4.46 shows 'encoders" but my end is showing CC number 14 "Range Element", is this ok or a problem somewhere?
That depends on the device ... does it have endless encoders? If no, "Range element" is correct. If yes and ReaLearn detected it as "Range element", it means you probably have configured the encoder to send absolute messages instead of relative ones, which is not optimal (read about the advantages of relative control in the user guide). So you might want to set up your controller to emit relative messages.
Old 07-11-2022, 12:57 PM   #31
mikehende

Well, I certainly didn't expect it this go this easy and there's absolutely no need for me to write out any tutorial of my own as that video of yours is on the money. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

I can now use the Akai MPD218's rotary knobs to control the Time and Feedback knobs in BBD and MReverb and the pads to toggle the on/off buttons in Instalooper.

Only last thing for me to attempt now regarding fx is to make the Akai wireless and see if there will be too much latency, if not then I am still happy with this as its only one long USB cord I will need to deal with.

Will report back on the wireless issue once I should find a good adapter and test it out.

p.s. I left feedback on the video page for you
Old 07-12-2022, 04:22 AM   #32
mikehende

BTW, I have different projects for different purposes. Is there a way for me to use the Realearn settings from one project into the others or would I need to install and setup Realearn from scratch in every project?
Old 07-12-2022, 09:53 PM   #33
Dex

Quote:
BTW, I have different projects for different purposes. Is there a way for me to use the Realearn settings from one project into the others or would I need to install and setup Realearn from scratch in every project?
Put your Realearn on your monitoring FX. Then it’ll load the same in every project, and changes you make to it over time will carry over between projects.
Dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 05:01 AM   #34
mikehende

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
Put your Realearn on your monitoring FX. Then it’ll load the same in every project, and changes you make to it over time will carry over between projects.
Thanks but sorry I should have mentioned that the different projects are on different pc's?
Old 07-13-2022, 05:22 AM   #35
helgoboss

Quote:
Thanks but sorry I should have mentioned that the different projects are on different pc's?
You can use something like Dropbox to synchronize preset files and load them.
Old 07-19-2022, 11:01 AM   #36
mikehende

Well guys, just when I I thought I had gotten this done, this problem now.

With my pc connected to a PC powered speaker the Akai Pads for Instalooper controls are all triggering the loops just fine but when I connect the PC and Akai to either my DJ Rig or Home Stereo both which are analog, the Pads are not triggering Instalooper, any ideas please?

p.s. The pads controlling BBD and MReverb is triggering fine on all 3 speaker systems so its only the pads controlling Instalooper which is having this issue.

Last edited by mikehende; 07-19-2022 at 11:23 AM.
Old 07-20-2022, 07:08 AM   #37
mikehende

I found the problem. It was my screwup guys, so very sorry. I had 2 files on the desktop, one named "eric to ben original" and the other "final eric to ben". Seems whenever I switch pc monitors between garage and inside the house those 2 files positions on the desktop are automatically changed.

So I was clicking on the original file which had Realearn settings for only bbd and Mreverb in the garage and when inside the final file with Realearn settings which included Instalooper.
Old 07-25-2022, 08:18 AM   #38
acebone

Quote:

Behringer says:
This answer from Behringer is not complete. The X-Touch one has different "modes" for several DAWs, it even has a Reaper mode, and these modes do not allow you to redefine which command each button sends, however there is also a single user-mode ('MC User') - and that will let you reassign the commands that the unit spits out (only for a subset of the buttons though, you can't redefine the fader, the pan, and the track-controls). The reassignment is done by first holding down transport-stop while clicking the pan-control and selecting "MC User" - and then, before exiting mode-selection, press the button you wish to reassign, hold it down, while selecting the command it should send by turning the pan-control. When you're done, exit selection-mode as usual (two clicks on the pan-button)
acebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 09:03 AM   #39
mikehende

Thanks for the info.
Old 07-26-2022, 01:28 AM   #40
acebone

Quote:
Thanks for the info.
No problem, it makes the unit much more versatile. I was quite annoyed by the almost complete lack of documentation the unit comes with, and I am quite surprised that even Behringer-support doesn't seem to know about this mode. I stumbled upon it from some user-description somewhere.

Oh BTW - I am using ReaLearn with the X-Touch one - so it works. Not without glitches, sometimes the XTO simply refuses to send commands from some of it's buttons. Then I'll have to restart Reaper and hope that this time everything is working. The REAPER "Reset all ctrl-devices" action doesn't seem to do the same thing as a complete reload of REAPER - but I am not sure what exactly is going on, however I am quite sure that it's not ReaLearn that is at fault.
acebone is offline   Reply With Quote