Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 08-10-2008, 02:57 AM   #601
daverich
Human being with feelings

did you create a file called .wineasiocfg in your home folder and put

ASIO_INPUTS=16
ASIO_OUTPUTS=16

in it?

Kind regards

Dave Rich
daverich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 11:34 AM   #602
StepOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepOne View Post
All of you Linux Reaperites out there, I could use some assistance.

I have my system set up correctly for audio. I'm running Opensuse 11 x64, I compiled all the ALSA drivers, got Jack and Wine up and running. Almost everything is working correctly.

But, here is the problem:

My Layla3G has 8 analog I/Os, and 8 I/Os connected via ADAT for a total of 16. In Jack, my system is only showing 8 input (capture) and output (playback) plugs.

All the ADAT settings are correct inside echomixer, and it shows all 16 channels, but the rest of the system seems to only see the first 8.

Screenshot:

Any suggestions?
Quote:
Originally Posted by daverich View Post
did you create a file called .wineasiocfg in your home folder and put

ASIO_INPUTS=16
ASIO_OUTPUTS=16

in it?

Kind regards

Dave Rich
Yes, but it didn't give me more connections. I doubt it has anything to do with wineasio, I'm thinking it has something to do with ALSA, maybe I need to specify more channels in an ALSA configuration file somewhere?

Any other suggestions?
Old 08-10-2008, 03:39 PM   #603
StepOne

An update - Jack has 2 interface options for my Echo 3G:

hw 0,0: uses the Analog 1-8 I/Os
hw 0,1: uses the Digital 1-8 I/Os

Jack only lets me select one at a time, though. I can't figure out how to do both. Maybe some option at the command line or through jackbridge, I'm not sure yet.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:43 AM   #604
StepOne

I'm a bit underwhelmed with running Reaper in Linux.

I have tested on these distros:

Opensuse 11 x64 default / Opensuse 11 x64 realtime
Opensuse 11 x32 default / Opensuse 11 x32 realtime
Ubuntu 8.04 x64 generic

I've found that ASIO performance is roughly the same using Reaper under Wine, regardless of distro.

I've manually compiled the ALSA drivers, jack, wineasio, and installed wine on every distro. My audio interface (Echo Layla 3G) is set up, and all 16 I/Os are available to use through jack.

I am running jack in realtime mode, with soft mode off (with it on, the audio is more or less permamently fudged at low latencies). In Reaper, I have UI Updates set to unbuffered (flickery) and unchecked "use native events for synchronizing" for better performance.

Running the Bradsucks demo, I've had these results (44.1khz, 32bit):

64 samples (2.9ms latency):

Minor glitching every few seconds, xruns occasionally. Jack DSP load: 3-6%, Reaper FX Cpu Usage: ~12%.

128 samples (5.8ms latency):

Less glitching, less xruns, but they still occur. Jack DSP Load: 3-5%, Reaper FX Cpu Usage: ~10%.

256 samples (11.6ms latency):

No glitching or xruns. Jack DSP Load: 2-4%, Reaper Cpu Usage: 8-9%.

256 samples is the lowest I can go for glitch-free performance of the demo. Anyone have suggestions on how to decrease the glitching, so I can work at 64 or 128 samples? Also, how does this performance compare to others'?

For reference, there is absolutely no glitching of this project under windows @ 64 samples.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:53 PM   #605
StepOne

I'm currently running the Ubuntu x64 realtime kernel, set the priority to 89 in jack, and am now getting much less glitching @ 64 samples.

Scrolling and zooming are quite slow though, even with UI updates set to unbuffered.

Any other optimization suggestions for less glitching and better scrolling/zoom performance?
Old 08-19-2008, 09:33 AM   #606
StepOne

*crickets chirping*
Old 08-19-2008, 11:16 AM   #607
LateStarter

does anything on the jack faq help?? also the README file in the .tar.gz has some file system info - I don't know if it's relevant to you.
http://jackaudio.org/faq
LateStarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 12:39 PM   #608
StepOne

That doesn't help, as my ASIO / Jack performance is good enough for me, I'm more concerned over Reaper's sluggish GUI redraws under Wine, which makes it a PITA to work with, due to the ridiculously slow scrolling and zooming.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:03 PM   #609
StepOne

Well, the slow-as-molasses GUI performance under Linux had me moving back to Windows. It sucks, because I actually enjoy using Linux much more for everything else. Hopefully a future version of Wine will address this problem.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:32 AM   #610
StudioDave

Quote:
Well, the slow-as-molasses GUI performance under Linux had me moving back to Windows. It sucks, because I actually enjoy using Linux much more for everything else. Hopefully a future version of Wine will address this problem.
I looked back at some of your previous posts but I didn't see a mention of your graphics hardware (sorry if I missed it). What card/chipset are you using ?
StudioDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 08:51 AM   #611
StepOne

NVIDIA 8800GTX, with the envy NVIDIA drivers under Ubuntu.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:46 PM   #612
StepOne

It seems Ubuntu's built in desktop effects manager (what I call Compiz lite) causes the horrible redraw performance under wine when it's in use. I kinda liked those desktop effects...oh well.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:18 PM   #613
Warpticon

I love compiz, especially the 3D desktop. It makes it very easy to manage my windows. It's a process hog, though, so I have to kill it for serious work. Maybe when I get a faster compluter... Glad you found the issue.
Warpticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 12:52 AM   #614
Alex Stone

Default Jconv

It's been a while since the last update, (Been writing music which is, after all, the whole purpose of what we do), but this is a brief note to draw attention to a command line app called jconv, that's extremely powerful, and simple to setup and use.

Jconv is a standalone convolution reverb, that sits in your signal chain, supplying, well, convolution reverb. And the beauty of this little app is the user definability with the use of .conf files, where you can set the parameters of the app.

How does it work?

Each 'instance' consists of two parts, the wav you intend to use, and a .conf file for that wav.

To start jconv, simply cd to the dir where the wav and .conf file reside (and we'll use chapel.conf for this example), and issue the command:

jconv chapel.conf

That's it. The app starts and you'll see the ins and outs in your particular patchbay app. I haven't tried this with Reaper yet, but with Ardour, it rocks. I use a post send on a track, out to jconv, and bring it back in to a stereo track to use a gain on the signal.

In this age of flashy guis, and all singing, all dancing, plugins etc, the command line apps often get overlooked, but they can work not only as well, but possibly better, free of the necessity of using cycles to run pictures.

Jconv was built by a near legend in linux app circles, Fons Adriensen, and there are other apps on his little site, including the now famous Aeolus synthesised pipe organ.

http://www.kokkinizita.net/linuxaudio

Alex.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:58 AM   #615
Alex Stone

Default Lilypond Tool

After reading the riveting series of articles StudioDave wrote for Linux Journals about Java tools for us audio chaps, i was tempted to try one of the apps.

Jedit is a Java editor that, as i understand from the article, is fairly popular with developers and programmers, but it's an editor at the end of the day, and after installing it, i can see why it gets a degree of kudos.
There are a wealth of plugins available for the editor, related to specific tasks, and one of these is "LilypondTool".
For those that are unaware, lilypond is a text based app for writing notation, and has been a stalwart of notation engraving for some time. I'm still learning the syntax for this app, and have explored more than one GUI that is built to make the process of building scores and parts in lilypond easier for the non text savvy engraver. (Denemo is a fast improving app for just such a task, to name one...)

Lilypondtool seeks to add to this tuxified harem of sumptuous offerings, as a plugin in Jedit, and is, like properly organised apps and plugin directories, easy to install.

Once installed, the main edit window presents lilypond syntax in its normal format, and from there the user can edit, add, remove, etc as desired. There's also a template wizard (among other wizards) that helps to setup a full score template (if desired), or any size or nature of ensemble.

And this is as far as i got. I got a Beanshell error when further editing the text, and for some reason i can't add pages to the score, but i qualify this with my perchance for user error, so more work is needed on my part to sort out the challenges.

In the template wizard, nearly all orchestral instruments are represented, except for the notable omission of Bass Clarinet, which didn't appear in my list at all.
I can see the potential in lilypondtool, and will persist with it for the time being. As an engraver for score and part, and given its all architecture java base, i would think it highly useful for writing parts on the fly, and in particular, provide a lightweight, non cpu munching, means of scoring for a laptop, or smaller pc with fewer HW resources.

Java has its critics, and seems to have suffered from some degree of derision over time, but it does fill an important role, and the multi architecture nature of the language is a plus. (imho)

I would hope that i can get lilypondtool running smoothly soon, and explore further the notational/engraving possibilites this app/plugin has to offer. Lilypond is a the runaway winner in the engraved appearance stakes for printed notation, so any means of utilising this must be worth pursuing.

Alex.

The linux journal article in question. My thanks to StudioDave for bringing these apps to our attention.

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/...e-linux-part-3

Last edited by Alex Stone; 10-02-2008 at 02:01 AM.
Alex Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 02:28 AM   #616
Alex Stone

Quote:
It seems Ubuntu's built in desktop effects manager (what I call Compiz lite) causes the horrible redraw performance under wine when it's in use. I kinda liked those desktop effects...oh well.
StepOne, i've just read up through your posts.

I've got Compiz turned off permanently. It makes a difference here, and i'm using an ATI card to do the graphics (itself having its own challenges.. )

It would be fair to say that running heavy graphics effects, and a programme designed to use fairly heavy graphic redraw capability is going to tax the system somewhat.

Having your cake and eating it too may not be possible just yet...

Alex.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:55 AM   #617
GermanFafian

Hi there everyone.
First off. This thread has been quite entertaining and enlightening at the same time.
I'm a big fan of GNU/Linux but have kept to Wins for music making. Since I started to use Reaper I have come across this and another thread about Linux users running Reaper and using it on a daily basis and decided to take the plunge 100% and make my next batch of guitar tunes in Linux.
Most of my commercial Win plugs seem to work fine under Wine except for ManyBass which I will look more into.
One thing though. I use Ubuntu mainly and even though I installed wine and Reaper and everything was fine. As soon as I installed and tried using the rt kernel I could not get my system to run. It just gets to the splash screen and the then it blacks out. I re-boot and use the older non rt kernel and everything starts normally but now Reaper does not load any plugs
I installed the Ubuntu studio desktop so it might have something to do with it.
Is there a recommended audio distro?
I have an AMD64 Athlon, M-audio 1010 24/96 and an Nvidia GForce something
I'm downloading the live distro of 64studio AMD64 just in case, but any advice would be highly appreciated
Old 10-02-2008, 03:16 AM   #618
Alex Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanFafian View Post
Hi there everyone.
First off. This thread has been quite entertaining and enlightening at the same time.
I'm a big fan of GNU/Linux but have kept to Wins for music making. Since I started to use Reaper I have come across this and another thread about Linux users running Reaper and using it on a daily basis and decided to take the plunge 100% and make my next batch of guitar tunes in Linux.
Most of my commercial Win plugs seem to work fine under Wine except for ManyBass which I will look more into.
One thing though. I use Ubuntu mainly and even though I installed wine and Reaper and everything was fine. As soon as I installed and tried using the rt kernel I could not get my system to run. It just gets to the splash screen and the then it blacks out. I re-boot and use the older non rt kernel and everything starts normally but now Reaper does not load any plugs
I'm downloading the live distro of 64studio AMD64 just in case, but any advice would be highly appreciated
Gf, Welcome!

First question. Which RT kernel did you install? If it matches the generic kernel then the problem lies elsewhere. You'll need to check if the kernel numbers match exactly.

Next, there's some chatter in various forums about NVidia cards, and a few challenges with the latest RT kernel/Ubuntu. I'm not sure of the current state of play here, but can you tell us if you're using the generic nvidia driver, or a restricted driver?

Next, when you get to the grub boot stage, pause it, and check the kernel boot line. Try adding:

nohz=off

to that line. (e for edit, edit, then reboot.)

If you do this, then get back here with the results.

Alex.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:17 AM   #619
StudioDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Stone View Post
After reading the riveting series of articles StudioDave wrote...
So I'm "riveting" now, am I ?

Quote:
Java has its critics, and seems to have suffered from some degree of derision over time, but it does fill an important role, and the multi architecture nature of the language is a plus. (imho)
True. In the first article in the series I noted that Java's cross-platform viability is a major appeal for programmers. Alas, its sound API is simply not keeping up with the times. IMO it needs overhauled for all platforms.

Quote:
I would hope that i can get lilypondtool running smoothly soon, and explore further the notational/engraving possibilites this app/plugin has to offer. Lilypond is a the runaway winner in the engraved appearance stakes for printed notation, so any means of utilising this must be worth pursuing.
I had no troubles with that software. I manually installed jEdit to my $HOME directory and I put the LilyPondTool stuff in a directory under the jEdit installation directory. I start jEdit, and the plugin is loaded automatically.

Quote:
The linux journal article in question. My thanks to StudioDave for bringing these apps to our attention.

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/...e-linux-part-3
For the perhaps even more riveting Parts 1 & 2 :

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/...e-linux-part-1

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/...e-linux-part-2

Old 10-02-2008, 08:31 AM   #620
StudioDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanFafian View Post
I use Ubuntu mainly and even though I installed wine and Reaper and everything was fine. As soon as I installed and tried using the rt kernel I could not get my system to run. It just gets to the splash screen and the then it blacks out. I re-boot and use the older non rt kernel and everything starts normally but now Reaper does not load any plugs
I run two systems here at StudioDave, both based on AMD64 CPUs, both with M-Audio sound hardware (Delta 66 cards), and both running nVidia graphics cards (7600 GS) with nVidia's closed-source driver. One machine is running the 64 Studio distribution, a pure 64-bit Linux audio-optimized system based on the Debian distribution. The other machine runs a 32-bit system, the Jacklab Audio Distribution (JAD 1.0), which is based on the OpenSUSE 10.2 distribution. I run Reaper on both boxes, though I'm not really much of a user. I mainly use it to teach sequencing and DAW basics to my Windows/Mac-based students, but most of my other audio recording purposes are served by Ardour.

I plan to add another disk to the 32-bit box. I want to return to the Planet CCRMA system, and I''ll probably install the Arch system as well (it's been highly recommended by another Linux audio friend).

Btw, if you don't need accelerated 3D graphics you might prefer using the kernel's open-source nVidia driver.

HTH.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:05 PM   #621
tweed

OT a bit:
Anyone know the secret to getting audio out of REAPER running in Virtualbox IN XP as a guest on a LINUX alsa host?

So, I've got my laptop running linux with alsa working well, I have virtualbox running with an XP guest in it.

The setting in Linux Virtualbox as Alsa / ICH AC97 AND I did install realtec drivers in the Vbox guest XP.

Thing is that when set to direct sound / and use realtek drivers I get an eventual bluescreen after a few minutes of REAPER not willing to play at all.

I've tried all the things on the Vbox forums I think.
That's where I got the realtek drivers.

I can only get REAPER to play at all with asio4all and asio driver setting in the XP vbox guest install.

If I go to device manager and do a search for hardware changes it dumps the realtek driver and goes back to the intel driver that the laptop has as it's driver in the linux host, which is accurate of course.

ANY tips GREATLY appreciated.

BASICALLY REAPER will not budge play-wise.
tweed is offline   Reply With Quote