Old 07-06-2016, 06:33 AM   #1
alcolmx
Human being with feelings

Default Saving takes via TouchOSC

I'm fairly new to the TouchOSC thing, and Reaper actions as well (why haven't I used these sooner!?!), so maybe this is easily done and already available. I'd like to be able to save takes via TouchOSC. I use TouchOSC mainly to control Reaper when I'm behind my drum kit. It would save a tonne of time and leg work if I could could save a take, then open a new track template to begin another take via TouchOSC. Has anyone done this?
alcolmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 09:56 AM   #2
Greedy

Maybe I'm missing something, but doesn't this happen automatically?

Record take
Hit stop, reset marker to zero or wherever your start point is
Record new take

New take is recorded on top of first one, but not destructively.

I record this way with TouchOSC (though only one or two tracks at a time). Why do you need to open a new track template?
Greedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 06:33 AM   #3
alcolmx

Maybe it's just my backwards workflow, but I save each take as it's own project. I will often do 7 or 8 takes. I hadn't even considered doing all within one project. Do you think there'd be any problem doing that many takes at once (aside from the obvious PITA of sorting through them all later... which I'm used to).
alcolmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:44 AM   #4
Greedy

I am no expert, so take anything I say with a large grain of salt, but saving each take as a seperate project seems like the PITA. Takes in Reaper are pretty easy to deal with once you get used to working with them. Record your first take, set the cursor back to the start point, record your next take, and so on. Above each track it will show which take you are on (take 3/5, e.g.). To toggle between takes of selected tracks, hit "T" ( I think, not in front of reaper atm). Easy to comp takes too - for example use take 3 for the intro, take 1 for the 1st verse, take 4 for the chorus, etc. this explains it much better than I ever could (if you haven't already, watch all of Kenny Gioia's tutorials accessible from the reaper home page, they are excellent):

http://www.reaper.fm/videos.php#ilX2FOyu_Ts

You should be able to sit at your drums and record ten takes in a row without getting off your rear-end using TouchOSC doing it that way. I don't think it's possible to open/close projects, insert track templates and such with TouchOSC (again I am no expert). AFAIK, you can only adjust levels, pan, fx sends, use transport controls, arm tracks for recording, solo/mute, and probably a few other mixer-related functions that I'm forgetting.
Greedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 10:29 PM   #5
Troy

Are you recording your takes with a click or guide track? If not, then each take is pretty independent and editing could be problematic unless your timing is great or you like stretching audio. That is the only reason I could why you'd maybe want separate projects as each becomes its own entity. That being said, I'd just record into the same project and delete the takes that I don't want
Troy is offline   Reply With Quote