Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 02-21-2018, 03:56 PM   #1
Artie Bow
Human being with feelings

Default [Repost] Syndicated Radio Prod - 2 Newbie Qs (re: Ripple Edit & Arr. Track Items)

Reposting this earlier post on another forum - 2 Pre-sales Newbie Qs I can hopefully get an answer to ...

Hello Reapers ... hoping someone with Reaper Wisdom can enlighten a newbie on 2 points …

Currently evaluating Reaper as a platform to assemble a weekly syndicated radio show – a 2-hour music show, broadcast and podcast.

Honestly blown away by the depth of Reaper – had no idea.

Apple’s Waveburner (W.B.) is the current platform for assembling all the various audio elements. Even though it’s thought of as a CD burning app, it’s actually a great app for assembling a bunch of audio elements, tweaking fades, and mixing down.

BUT – Apple killed off W.B. with MacOS 10.12 which lead me to Reaper.

W.B. provides 2 important features I can't find in Reaper:

//

1 – RIPPLE EDITING (when dragging on the edge of a track item)

W.B. owns it. Reaper – seems, almost.

I looked at Reaper's ripple editing (track & global modes) but it seems to be missing an important feature for radio production: ripple editing when you’re dragging the right edge of a track item.

I saw some older forum discussion about this – I can’t see any way to do it … and each show has to hit a very exact time duration of 1:56;02 so I need to be able to do final tweaks to intro/outro theme music by dragging their edges.

[WISDOM SOUGHT] … is there some trick to make this happen (ie drag the edge of a track item and all objects to the right ripple) ?

//

2 – CHANGE ORDER OF TRACK ITEMS BY DRAGGING ON A LIST VIEW

Each show mixes about 20 songs (Jazz) plus a bunch of host segments … all these items need to be imported into Reaper (that I can do) and then put into the right order.

In W.B. once imported onto the timeline, there’s also a list view (like Reapers Region List) … drag any item on the list to create the desired order – the timeline mirrors the changes.

[WISDOM SOUGHT] … is there a way to see a track list of items, that can then be dragged to re-arrange the order of track elements ... with changes mirrored on the timeline?

//

Otherwise, Reaper rocks – EBU R128 loudness correction, effects, spectral analysis, themes … I’m hoping I can get the functionality I need from Reaper.

Thanks for any info you can share!
Artie Bow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 09:43 AM   #2
Artie Bow
Human being with feelings

Too obscure a question I guess ...
Artie Bow is offline   Reply With Quote