Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 02-13-2019, 10:28 AM   #161
SebyMusic
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by lb0 View Post
Find some faders in faderbox that haven't been learned yet (or add another faderbox to the __LBX_SKCTL track).

Learn the unused sliders to the new controller controls.

When setting up the plugin - use the newly assigned faders.

That should do it.
Ok, but the output feedback will be sent on my bcr.
No?
Seby
SebyMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:27 AM   #162
cjewellstudios

A feature request maybe?

Since this is (I would think) mostly being used with knobs/endless rotary encoders,

How hard would it be to customize the script gui to be in the shape of knobs instead of faders?

Not anything new graphically, just taking the idea thats there and make them an almost circle.

Even more specifically, being able to arrange that in a 4×4 pattern and being able to flip through pages of those.

I'm willing to learn and code myself, just wondered how "doable" that is?
cjewellstudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 12:07 PM   #163
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebyMusic View Post
Ok, but the output feedback will be sent on my bcr.
No?
Seby
Yep - that's a good point.

You could put sends to both hardware outs on the __LBX_SKCTL track. Each controller's controls would have to be set to use different CC numbers.

Eg BCR encoders use CCs 0-31, your other controller to use 32-however many you need.

Would this work?
lb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 02:31 PM   #164
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjewellstudios View Post
A feature request maybe?

Since this is (I would think) mostly being used with knobs/endless rotary encoders,

How hard would it be to customize the script gui to be in the shape of knobs instead of faders?

Not anything new graphically, just taking the idea thats there and make them an almost circle.

Even more specifically, being able to arrange that in a 4×4 pattern and being able to flip through pages of those.

I'm willing to learn and code myself, just wondered how "doable" that is?
The 4x4 pattern would require a lot of work shifting stuff around. Extra code would be needed to handle different columns - but it would be eminently possible.

The SK2 script I'm still working on allows you to drag out the script window and it adds columns depending on the width of the window - and also there's a compact mode which combines the faders with the parameter select boxes (although it means you cannot actually use the faders to drag the parameter values - it's just to show values). However - as mentioned before - it's not quite ready yet - and also works very very differently to the current SK script - which may not suit everyone due to specific setup requirements.

Changing the faders into rotary style controls would be easy enough - instead of drawing rectangles for the faders - draw circles (or arcs) instead - but not something I really fancy doing ATM.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:31 PM   #165
cjewellstudios

Quote:
The 4x4 pattern would require a lot of work shifting stuff around. Extra code would be needed to handle different columns - but it would be eminently possible.

The SK2 script I'm still working on allows you to drag out the script window and it adds columns depending on the width of the window - and also there's a compact mode which combines the faders with the parameter select boxes (although it means you cannot actually use the faders to drag the parameter values - it's just to show values). However - as mentioned before - it's not quite ready yet - and also works very very differently to the current SK script - which may not suit everyone due to specific setup requirements.

Changing the faders into rotary style controls would be easy enough - instead of drawing rectangles for the faders - draw circles (or arcs) instead - but not something I really fancy doing ATM.
Oh ok! Sounds good lb0!

And yeah sorry I didnt catch anything in the thread about a new version!

Very curious on how the new one is different as far as how it works. This works so well for me as is.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:01 PM   #166
lb0

Quote:
Oh ok! Sounds good lb0!

And yeah sorry I didnt catch anything in the thread about a new version!

Very curious on how the new one is different as far as how it works. This works so well for me as is.
Well - there were very specific functions that were required for the new version - including MIDI CC control and feedback.

This meant very specific project routing was required to ensure the correct data goes to the correct places. It also meant splitting up the MIDI hardware inputs and outputs - so each input device whether keyboard/controller requires it's own track which gets routed through either an input processor or passed through to the target track depending on whether it's a controller for use with the SK2 script - or one which isn't to be used by the script (eg main keyboard).

Having the SK2 connected controllers routed directly into a track means that you have to set up your Reaper preferences carefully - as any controller with MCU fader assignments cannot receive Pitch reset messages etc - so these need disabling in Settings.

Each SK2 connected controller also requires a dedicated feedback out track.

The main restriction on this setup - is that you cannot say use a controller that uses the same MIDI input/output as a connected keyboard - so if you have just one controller - with boths keys and encoders - then this won't work with the SK2 script - as if you connected the controller up to the SK2 script - the keys would no longer function as note inputs to a track. This is therefore only useful if you have dedicated controllers for tweaking as opposed to playing.

Now all this sounds really hard to set up - but actually - you select which hardware inputs/outputs are for what - and the setup is done entirely by the push of one Setup button.

Another requirement for it - was that it should work seamlessly with an XTouch or XTouch extender (or both). Actually - you can have up to 4 XTouch's/extenders connected at once should you wish (I've only been able to test with an XTouch and an XTouch extender - but in theory it should allow for 4 different controllers connected to the SK2 script). It also needs to work with the coloured scribble strips on the controller - and it does - colours can be assigned to different parameters easily - this was not as straightforward as it sounds. EDIT - actually - it's possible to have more than 4 controllers - but only if they can be programmed to send different MIDI data messages. If you're stuck with fixed data messages (like the XTouch) - then 4 is your limit.

But it should work with any controller that output's standard MIDI - so any MCU or programmable controller should work fine.

Anyway - that's the gist - lots of other features but won't list them yet - it won't be suitable for everyone - and depends how far a user is willing to fiddle with their setup (one bonus for portable installs though!).

I'm not sure how long it will take to release just yet - still a couple of things to do and I've been crazy busy at work since the new year - so haven't had as much time as usual to work on things.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:18 PM   #167
cjewellstudios

Quote:
Well - there were very specific functions that were required for the new version - including MIDI CC control and feedback.

This meant very specific project routing was required to ensure the correct data goes to the correct places. It also meant splitting up the MIDI hardware inputs and outputs - so each input device whether keyboard/controller requires it's own track which gets routed through either an input processor or passed through to the target track depending on whether it's a controller for use with the SK2 script - or one which isn't to be used by the script (eg main keyboard).

Having the SK2 connected controllers routed directly into a track means that you have to set up your Reaper preferences carefully - as any controller with MCU fader assignments cannot receive Pitch reset messages etc - so these need disabling in Settings.

Each SK2 connected controller also requires a dedicated feedback out track.

The main restriction on this setup - is that you cannot say use a controller that uses the same MIDI input/output as a connected keyboard - so if you have just one controller - with boths keys and encoders - then this won't work with the SK2 script - as if you connected the controller up to the SK2 script - the keys would no longer function as note inputs to a track. This is therefore only useful if you have dedicated controllers for tweaking as opposed to playing.

Now all this sounds really hard to set up - but actually - you select which hardware inputs/outputs are for what - and the setup is done entirely by the push of one Setup button.

Another requirement for it - was that it should work seamlessly with an XTouch or XTouch extender (or both). Actually - you can have up to 4 XTouch's/extenders connected at once should you wish (I've only been able to test with an XTouch and an XTouch extender - but in theory it should allow for 4 different controllers connected to the SK2 script). It also needs to work with the coloured scribble strips on the controller - and it does - colours can be assigned to different parameters easily - this was not as straightforward as it sounds. EDIT - actually - it's possible to have more than 4 controllers - but only if they can be programmed to send different MIDI data messages. If you're stuck with fixed data messages (like the XTouch) - then 4 is your limit.

But it should work with any controller that output's standard MIDI - so any MCU or programmable controller should work fine.

Anyway - that's the gist - lots of other features but won't list them yet - it won't be suitable for everyone - and depends how far a user is willing to fiddle with their setup (one bonus for portable installs though!).

I'm not sure how long it will take to release just yet - still a couple of things to do and I've been crazy busy at work since the new year - so haven't had as much time as usual to work on things.
It sounds brilliant.

I think you are a genius and thank you so much for your time.

I would love to use this with some x touch extenders. I might buy some just for this purpose when you get around to this

Take care.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:31 AM   #168
SebyMusic

Quote:
Yep - that's a good point.

You could put sends to both hardware outs on the __LBX_SKCTL track. Each controller's controls would have to be set to use different CC numbers.

Eg BCR encoders use CCs 0-31, your other controller to use 32-however many you need.

Would this work?
Hi again, ok, I tried to do that, but maybe don't know on how to acomplish it. When I go on SEND midi out hardware, I only have one output selection possible to select.
any idea?

tks
Seby
SebyMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 07:42 AM   #169
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebyMusic View Post
Hi again, ok, I tried to do that, but maybe don't know on how to acomplish it. When I go on SEND midi out hardware, I only have one output selection possible to select.
any idea?

tks
Seby
Ok - yes - you could be right.

Simply create two new tracks - send the midi out of the SK_CTL track to both new tracks (normal send). Then set each new track to send to the hardware outs.
Old 04-28-2019, 06:35 AM   #170
tapemelancholy

Hi!

This is a great script and i love it.

Does it work with AU plugins? I have problems with it.
When I add any Audio Unit plugin, the script gives an error: bad argument #1 to 'match' (string expected, got nil)
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2019-04-28 at 16.33.12.png (15.7 KB, 150 views)
tapemelancholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 07:09 AM   #171
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapemelancholy View Post
Hi!

This is a great script and i love it.

Does it work with AU plugins? I have problems with it.
When I add any Audio Unit plugin, the script gives an error: bad argument #1 to 'match' (string expected, got nil)
Thank you.

I don't have a Mac - and therefore have never considered it. I might make version 2 work with AU - I think it was a request from SRD at some point.

I'll also try to fix the error in this version if I can spot it (when I have time). Thanks for the heads up.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:29 AM   #172
J Riley Hill

Hey, I've discovered this script and plugin lately. Its really amazing and i was looking for something like this. thanks so much!
Someone was mentioning a few pages back experiencing a graphical freeze/delay of 4-7 seconds on switching plugins.

I have not experienced anything close to that amount. But I definitely notice a delay when using the script in larger projects with lots of plugins and tracks, half a second to a second. I'm on windows 10, I notice on my Macbook with the same sessions, there is no slow down.

Maybe this is caused by something with my graphics card on my PC or something.
Most people using this script are not experiencing this issue?
J Riley Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 12:13 PM   #173
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Riley Hill View Post
Hey, I've discovered this script and plugin lately. Its really amazing and i was looking for something like this. thanks so much!
Someone was mentioning a few pages back experiencing a graphical freeze/delay of 4-7 seconds on switching plugins.

I have not experienced anything close to that amount. But I definitely notice a delay when using the script in larger projects with lots of plugins and tracks, half a second to a second. I'm on windows 10, I notice on my Macbook with the same sessions, there is no slow down.

Maybe this is caused by something with my graphics card on my PC or something.
Most people using this script are not experiencing this issue?
Hi - thanks.

Regarding any delay - I'm not sure - generally the script is very efficient. But certainly when a project is under heavy load - some things seem to get slower. I put it down to Reaper giving less processing to running scripts - hence things take longer.

Reading recently on another thread - it seems Reaper doesn't utilize the GPU of a graphics card to do anything GUI related - so it all sits on the main processor. And reaper (probably rightly) will prioritize the audio thread above everything else.

If I work out any way of improving it - I will - but as yet - have not come up with a solution.

Certainly anything above a second or two seems excessive. And on my system - it swaps plugins within a second generally. I don't often have crazily heavy projects running though.

I know with Smart Knobs 2 (in development) - which is being tested by guys using 1000+ track templates - it has also been reported that it suffers more in those huge projects, whereas is much more comfortable in smaller setups. But there isn't really anything I can think of that should be affected by a large track count (other than less available CPU).

One thing it does do is load templates as required from disk, so if disk load is busy - then this may slow it down. To solve this in SK2 - I'm allowing all templates to be loaded into RAM - but honestly haven't myself noticed much difference in performance - so busy disk may not be the issue. Problem is - as soon as I try and test using these huge projects on my aging i7 2600K - my system runs out of RAM before I even get to a hundred tracks (with empty kontakts on each) - so it's hard to test.
Old 05-01-2019, 01:33 PM   #174
J Riley Hill

Thanks for the detailed response! It's nice to hear a version 2 in the works
I'll muck around a bit with it as I use it and let you know if I notice anything interesting as far as performance is concerned.
Old 05-01-2019, 01:38 PM   #175
lb0

Quote:
Thanks for the detailed response! It's nice to hear a version 2 in the works
I'll muck around a bit with it as I use it and let you know if I notice anything interesting as far as performance is concerned.
Thanks!
Old 05-04-2019, 10:56 PM   #176
Magic Man Mixing

Default Smart Knob Glitch

I would like to start by saying I am loving this script, it is amazing! Unfortunately I am having a small issue with the Smart Control. I am using 2 instances of Faderbox because I have 48 CC's set up, but I only have enough vertical monitor room to see the first 32 controls in the Smart Control window. If I use the scroll on my mouse it just jumps me to a different bank of controls that give me the error "...pplication Support/REAPER/Scripts/LBX_SRD_SmartKnobs.lua:173: bad argument #3 to 'TrackFX_SetParamNormalized' (number has no integer representation)" every time I try to assign something. I did eventually find them using the scroll wheel, but it is extremely glitchy. As soon as I scroll down it jumps to what seems to be that different bank of controls, because it shows 1-32 but the controls I have mapped are gone. If I keep scrolling then it scrolls smoothly down to 64, but if I try to map a control I get the error. But if I scroll down as slowly as I can it will sometimes jump back to where I can see the controls I have already mapped but I am a bit further frown the page. These can be mapped.

I put a video of what's happening on youtube here: https://youtu.be/jKstIMyGYoU

Thank you in advance for your help.
Magic Man Mixing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 12:09 AM   #177
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Man Mixing View Post
I would like to start by saying I am loving this script, it is amazing! Unfortunately I am having a small issue with the Smart Control. I am using 2 instances of Faderbox because I have 48 CC's set up, but I only have enough vertical monitor room to see the first 32 controls in the Smart Control window. If I use the scroll on my mouse it just jumps me to a different bank of controls that give me the error "...pplication Support/REAPER/Scripts/LBX_SRD_SmartKnobs.lua:173: bad argument #3 to 'TrackFX_SetParamNormalized' (number has no integer representation)" every time I try to assign something. I did eventually find them using the scroll wheel, but it is extremely glitchy. As soon as I scroll down it jumps to what seems to be that different bank of controls, because it shows 1-32 but the controls I have mapped are gone. If I keep scrolling then it scrolls smoothly down to 64, but if I try to map a control I get the error. But if I scroll down as slowly as I can it will sometimes jump back to where I can see the controls I have already mapped but I am a bit further frown the page. These can be mapped.

I put a video of what's happening on youtube here: https://youtu.be/jKstIMyGYoU

Thank you in advance for your help.
Hi,

I shall look into. The video is really odd - but it's probably something stupid. Perhaps due to you being on a Mac and me overlooking something.

I don't have a Mac - so if I'm struggling to see what it is - I may need to ask you some questions - thanks
Old 05-05-2019, 12:41 AM   #178
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Man Mixing View Post
Hi again,

If you don't mind - would you be able to PM me your email address - I'd like to send you a debug version of the script to try to spot what's going on - what I'm seeing in the video makes no sense to me - so I just want to know what values you are getting when the mouse wheel is moved on your system.

Thanks,
L.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:47 PM   #179
Magic Man Mixing

I would just like to say publicly that lb0 is amazing. He fixed my issue with ease. I can't thank you enough.
Magic Man Mixing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 11:23 AM   #180
J Riley Hill

Hey!
Have noticed something super interesting today re. The slowdown issue changing plugins in big projects. The slowdown (on my system at least) is not really related to CPU load, it's seemingly only related to the number of visible automation envelopes (or envelope points perhaps) in the project. Very strange!!

I've demonstrated here in this session with a bunch of random automation on reaEq, with all automation hidden the SRD Smart Control is super snappy. If I run the "show all envelopes for all tracks" action, the script immediately slows down to a couple seconds. I also tried this with double the tracks, and it went down to around a 15 second delay on every plugin change!!

Old 05-16-2019, 11:37 AM   #181
J Riley Hill

Default Copy of the project file

Here is a copy of a project which slows waaayyyyy down with the LBX SRD Script on my computer, to around 10 seconds every plugin change (I uploaded it to my site because it's pretty large from all the automation):
http://jrileyhill.com/REAPER/srdEnvelopeTest.rpp

Anyone who has time could try this project file with all envelopes hidden, AND all envelopes visible using the SRD script. I'm really curious if this is the same issue others have reported.

For now I can resolve this issue by only viewing the envelopes I need to see... but It would be great if this could be fixed eventually. I wonder if it's something Justin could take a look at.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:58 PM   #182
lb0

Quote:
Here is a copy of a project which slows waaayyyyy down with the LBX SRD Script on my computer, to around 10 seconds every plugin change (I uploaded it to my site because it's pretty large from all the automation):
http://jrileyhill.com/REAPER/srdEnvelopeTest.rpp

Anyone who has time could try this project file with all envelopes hidden, AND all envelopes visible using the SRD script. I'm really curious if this is the same issue others have reported.

For now I can resolve this issue by only viewing the envelopes I need to see... but It would be great if this could be fixed eventually. I wonder if it's something Justin could take a look at.
Ok - that's almost certainly because the track chunk size is so much bigger. SK needs to scan through the chunk to get each fx plugin's chunk. If a plugin has loads of automation - this will make the string search functions take much longer.

Unfortunately - without Reaper API to directly get just the specific fx chunk - there's no easy avoiding the need to scan the chunk.

EDIT: It's only reading the chunk so it can recognize the plugin in a certain way - I could probably change it to do it a different way - with only minor change in functionality (A plugin will be recognized which means it will treat a renamed plugin differently to the same plugin under a different name (a template would be required for each).

It would probably also mean you'd need to rename all your current templates to match the new plugins name as accessible from the API GetFXName.

I'd probably make it optional.

Last edited by lb0; 05-16-2019 at 01:07 PM.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:22 PM   #183
J Riley Hill

interesting, I wonder what the chances of that API getting implemented are. Or would that even be helpful?

Definitely would be useful to have this slow down thing fixed for me even if it meant renaming the templates.
I've been using this script a lot! Thanks for taking a look!
Old 05-16-2019, 01:24 PM   #184
lb0

Quote:
interesting, I wonder what the chances of that API getting implemented are. Or would that even be helpful?

Definitely would be useful to have this slow down thing fixed for me even if it meant renaming the templates.
Yeah - I'll look into it - I think I may be able to retain current functionality without using the chunk...

Actually - the problem isn't mainly the chunk. I've got it to set the automation mode for the track containing the plugin - so I'm not quite sure what will happen overall if I remove that code - but it's certainly quicker without it. Checked with your rpp file - and it works much better - even with all the envelopes visible.

Will try to complete the bug fix tomorrow.

Last edited by lb0; 05-16-2019 at 02:54 PM.
Old 05-17-2019, 01:22 AM   #185
lb0

Quote:

Hi J,

I've updated the script on GitHub - removed automatic automation mode setting when scanning for new plugin focus.

This should fix the issue seen in your video. I'm not sure if it will improve things elsewhere.

As I said - if you set automation mode via the script GUI - then it will no longer follow the currently selected plugin unfortunately - but I tried preventing UI refreshes (as the issue was only when the lanes were visible) - but this had no effect.

Hopefully it all works ok - not had time to properly test it fully. Let me know of any issues.

Cheers,
L.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:52 PM   #186
J Riley Hill

Awesome! Seems to be working great so far. Zero slowdown from envelopes anymore.

I just noticed a bug, that I guess is probably related to the update?

Plugins from the company Waves used to work fine, and I had a number of templates for those plugins.
With the new changes all the plugins from Waves seem to share the same mapping...
Whatever the first one loaded is, just carries on to the others.
I am guessing this is related to the fact that waves uses a "shell" and not separate individual dll's.

I tested this with the HOFA System plugins (another set of plugins that uses a shell) and there is the same issue.
EDIT: also can confirm this occurs with both VST and VST3

Old 05-17-2019, 12:57 PM   #187
lb0

Quote:
Awesome! Seems to be working great so far. Zero slowdown from envelopes anymore.

I just noticed a bug, that I guess is probably related to the update?

Plugins from the company Waves used to work fine, and I had a number of templates for those plugins.
With the new changes all the plugins from Waves seem to share the same mapping...
Whatever the first one loaded is, just carries on to the others.
I am guessing this is related to the fact that waves uses a "shell" and not separate individual dll's.

I tested this with the HOFA System plugins (another set of plugins that uses a shell) and there is the same issue.
EDIT: also can confirm this occurs with both VST and VST3

Aaah - good old waves (and Hofa!) :|

But I should be able to fix this using the plugin name as opposed to the module name to identify the plugins - but this will mean renamed plugins are also treated differently. Of course - this is unless the plugin name API call also returns the waveshell or whatever.

I have a few HOFA plugins (the DeEsser, and also Conv. Reverb - does these use a shell?) - I could test with those here.
Old 05-17-2019, 01:14 PM   #188
J Riley Hill

haha yes, Waves, they are pretty annoying sometimes, but I do really like some of their plugins.

hmmm I'm not sure. I think it's just Hofa system that uses the shell. It's a modular fx environment, that also provides individual standalone versions of all it's plugs.

There is a free/demo version of System that offers some of the FX totally free and some with feature restrictions, so you should be able to test with that if you it works.
EDIT: Distortion, CompListenMic are totally unrestricted, The EQ gives you one band in the free version
Old 05-17-2019, 01:17 PM   #189
lb0

Quote:
haha yes, Waves, they are pretty annoying sometimes, but I do really like some of their plugins.

hmmm I'm not sure. I think it's just Hofa system that uses the shell. It's a modular fx environment, that also provides individual standalone versions of all it's plugs.

There is a free/demo version of System that offers some of the FX totally free and some with feature restrictions, so you should be able to test with that if you it works.
D'oh - I just looked at your video again - and from that I can actually see both plugins do have different names - so I should be able to fix this.

EDIT:

I do now remember why I used the chunk before. It's because if you took ReaEQ say - but renamed it to EQ or anything else - using the chunk - I could tell it was the same plugin - so could load the appropriate template. Now without using the chunk - the data isn't available for me to do this for things which are using a shell - as the two bits of info i have are module name (plugin filename essentially) - which will just see wavesshell, and the plugin name (having been renamed) - which provides no link between the two different names to indicate it's the same plugin.

To be honest - I'm not 100% sure how i managed it using the chunk - will have to examine my code again - it's been a while...

Last edited by lb0; 05-17-2019 at 01:24 PM.
Old 05-17-2019, 02:09 PM   #190
J Riley Hill

it's kinda amazing these plugin standards like VST even work at all considering how long ago most of them were developed and how many different things we use them for/with
Old 05-18-2019, 01:32 PM   #191
markhw

I'm getting the following SmartKnobs error and crash when I have Slidermate 16 JS on track FX and I try to view slidermate (latest version of Reaper and Windows 10):

"...ppData\Roaming\REAPER\Scripts\LBX\LBX_SRD_Smar tKnobs.lua:861: bad argument #1 to 'match' (string expected, got nil)"
markhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 01:48 PM   #192
timzibrat

I've come here from the reaperblog video, combining realearn, faderbox and smartknobs to create a pretty awesome enviroment for work, however, I can't seem to get the MIDI feedback to work.

I first tried with my CODE61 keyboard and it didn't work (I figured that maybe cause of the keyboard). Now I've upgraded to Novation SL61 MKIII which has led screens and all for endless rotary encoders, but the same thing happens again. The plugin parameters jump when I change the plugin and touch an encoder. I can't seem to find a possible error on my side anymore. Midi outputs in the preferences, on the track, in reaLearn and still, it doesn't seem to work. I've also searched through soo many posts, and nobody seems to have this problem. Can anyone think of any other possible errors I might be making, or is anyone willing to help me with this. Will be much appreciated.
timzibrat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 01:59 PM   #193
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzibrat View Post
I've come here from the reaperblog video, combining realearn, faderbox and smartknobs to create a pretty awesome enviroment for work, however, I can't seem to get the MIDI feedback to work.

I first tried with my CODE61 keyboard and it didn't work (I figured that maybe cause of the keyboard). Now I've upgraded to Novation SL61 MKIII which has led screens and all for endless rotary encoders, but the same thing happens again. The plugin parameters jump when I change the plugin and touch an encoder. I can't seem to find a possible error on my side anymore. Midi outputs in the preferences, on the track, in reaLearn and still, it doesn't seem to work. I've also searched through soo many posts, and nobody seems to have this problem. Can anyone think of any other possible errors I might be making, or is anyone willing to help me with this. Will be much appreciated.
Is the novation an Automap device? Think so. In which case best way to set up is via Automap and not realearn for feedback.

You'd need to load the faderbox JSFX up in an automapped enabled version of ReaJS - (ReaJS allows you to open JSFX as a VST - as Automap doesn't work with JSFX directly).

Then learn the faderbox faders via the Automap mapping app to the controllers controls.

It's been ages since I did this - so I might have missed something - but this was the only way I could connect up to my Automap devices.
Old 05-18-2019, 02:22 PM   #194
cjewellstudios

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzibrat View Post

Hey there,

I am the one responsible for your troubles

I am really trying to research your issue, from what I remember you have it set up correctly. The thing I am unsure of is if the SL (looks great by the way) can even receive midi and put that info on the led screens. I dont know if I mentioned this, but I have a nice Akai Advance 49 that also has knobs with a screen, I assumed I could get it to work but I honestly haven't been able to. I don't know enough about all the hardware involved but an educated guess would be the companies that make these keyboards are only considering having to deal with midi going out from the keyboard or midi possibly going straight through. That doesn't necessarily mean the SL won't work, but it's still possible that it's the keyboard. It looks like they thought of everything, so maybe there is hope.

Try and ditch realearn for the moment, and use the feedback portion of lb0's faderbox and see where that gets you. When you use that, you have to have a hardware midi out send on the track as well.

(You could totally ditch realearn like I said but then you would have to remap your controller to faderbox using native midi learn, or you could potentially just turn off the feedback from realearn , we are getting into uncharted territories here )
Old 05-18-2019, 03:34 PM   #195
lb0

Quote:
Hey there,

I am really trying to research your issue, from what I remember you have it set up correctly. The thing I am unsure of is if the SL (looks great by the way) can even receive midi and put that info on the led screens. I dont know if I mentioned this, but I have a nice Akai Advance 49 that also has knobs with a screen, I assumed I could get it to work but I honestly haven't been able to. I don't know enough about all the hardware involved but an educated guess would be the companies that make these keyboards are only considering having to deal with midi going out from the keyboard or midi possibly going straight through. That doesn't necessarily mean the SL won't work, but it's still possible that it's the keyboard. It looks like they thought of everything, so maybe there is hope.

Try and ditch realearn for the moment, and use the feedback portion of lb0's faderbox and see where that gets you. When you use that, you have to have a hardware midi out send on the track as well.

(You could totally ditch realearn like I said but then you would have to remap your controller to faderbox using native midi learn, or you could potentially just turn off the feedback from realearn , we are getting into uncharted territories here )
Hey Charlie - as I noted in my reply earlier - I think Novation Automap enabled devices need to be handled differently - and actually use the automap function to provide input and feedback. I have a few automap devices and using ReaJS with faderbox is the only way I got them working (but they worked perfectly).
Old 05-18-2019, 04:00 PM   #196
markhw

This is SO close to working for me, but I'm having an issue I assume is user error on my part:

I've set up Faderbox track and Faderbox VST and mapped it to my midi controller. When I move my controller knob it moves the FaderBox slider. Perfect.

Then I run the SmartKnobs script and can successfully connect to a VST FX. So when I move the virtual knob in my VST FX I see the value in Smart Control move. Still good.

BUT NOW when I go back and move my midi hardware knob the FaderBox slider moves briefly, but then quickly snaps back to 0. It does this as long as the Smart Control is connected to a VST device. Once I navigate away from the VST FX and Smart Control is no longer connected to it, the FaderBox slider goes back to being controlled by my midi knob. What setting am I missing that is snapping the value back to 0? Thank you!
Old 05-18-2019, 04:06 PM   #197
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by markhw View Post
This is SO close to working for me, but I'm having an issue I assume is user error on my part:

I've set up Faderbox track and Faderbox VST and mapped it to my midi controller. When I move my controller knob it moves the FaderBox slider. Perfect.

Then I run the SmartKnobs script and can successfully connect to a VST FX. So when I move the virtual knob in my VST FX I see the value in Smart Control move. Still good.

BUT NOW when I go back and move my midi hardware knob the FaderBox slider moves briefly, but then quickly snaps back to 0. It does this as long as the Smart Control is connected to a VST device. Once I navigate away from the VST FX and Smart Control is no longer connected to it, the FaderBox slider goes back to being controlled by my midi knob. What setting am I missing that is snapping the value back to 0? Thank you!
[Snip]

EDIT: Ah sorry - I got confused responding to different people.

Have you any automation recorded? Does changing to Latch Preview mode allow you to move the faders?)

Last edited by lb0; 05-18-2019 at 05:22 PM.
Old 05-18-2019, 05:06 PM   #198
timzibrat

Quote:
Is the novation an Automap device? Think so. In which case best way to set up is via Automap and not realearn for feedback.

You'd need to load the faderbox JSFX up in an automapped enabled version of ReaJS - (ReaJS allows you to open JSFX as a VST - as Automap doesn't work with JSFX directly).

Then learn the faderbox faders via the Automap mapping app to the controllers controls.

It's been ages since I did this - so I might have missed something - but this was the only way I could connect up to my Automap devices.
Well I thought it's an automap device at first too, but apparently they decided to ditch the automap feature with the new mk3 line. I think it would be possible to do some stuff by trying to tell automap that I have the mk2 keyboard, but I'm not sure how far that would get me. There must be something possible though, since the keyboard is able to receive cc messages back through the usb port or din midi port.

I'm trying to figure out if there's something totally different causing these issues. Like windows usb drivers (I've installed the lastest from novation however) or some faulty script in reaper that is causing these troubles. You think it makes sense to uninstall reaper alltogether with all the plugins and scripts and try then with a clean install? Does it even make sense that something like this could be the problem? Is there any way for me to check digitally, if reaper is sending out midi cc data?
Old 05-18-2019, 05:14 PM   #199
timzibrat

Quote:
Hey there,

Hi there. Not really responsible for my troubles, but I appreciate the input and help. We'll get there, I'm sure. I've seen a lot of videos where the keyboard receives cc data through the midi inputs and usb inputs when it controls synths and other hardware. So I'm assuming that there has to be a way. I need to find a way to test if Reaper is sending out midi on my end and then if it is, where the keyboard is having troubles. Ditching reaLearn didn't help. Assigning the faders natively to faderbox brings the same results. The faders jump. And the midi hardware our is set to the proper device. I've tried with a midi cable to the audio interface as well with no avail.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:22 PM   #200
markhw

Quote:
[Snip]
EDIT: Ah sorry - I got confused responding to different people.

Have you any automation recorded? Does changing to Latch Preview mode allow you to move the faders?)
Turns out my problem was having an instance of ReaLearn in the same FX chain as FaderBox which was interfering for some reason. I've moved ReaLearn to the Input FX chain instead (on same track) and now it works.

One remaining issue is the apparent incompatibility with SliderMate 16. When I have the Smart Control running, if I try to insert an instance of slidermate it consistently crashes with this error:

"...ppData\Roaming\REAPER\Scripts\LBX\LBX_SRD_ Smar tKnobs.lua:861: bad argument #1 to 'match' (string expected, got nil)"

For now I'm back to using ReaControlMIDI since it doesn't crash in this circumstance. In any case, huge thank you for your help and this amazing tool!

EDIT: OK this is interesting. Most JSFX seem to crash the same way when they're inserted while SmartKnobs is running. However I did find that "JS: ReaRack2 - Poly Splitter" does not crash it and even has controllable automation parameters... It's possible it could be made to work, I just don't know enough JSFX to truly troubleshoot.

EDIT2: OK, now I'm getting a lot of crashes with SmartKnobs running any time I even try to pull up an FX window with ReaLearn or ReaControlMIDI. I don't know what's responsible for it, but same error message every time.

Last edited by markhw; 05-18-2019 at 11:51 PM.