Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 01-10-2020, 12:16 AM   #1
Rosetree
Human being with feelings

Default How do you make Reaper Linux version recognize your audio interface?

Hello!

I am trying to make a switch from Win7 to Linux since this is the right timing for that.
I have installed the software and somehow was able to figure out how to install my interface, RME Hammerfall Multiface (I know, a classic one, but still a great interface none the less!)

I also installed Jack Audio together with Cadence and what not and Jack Audio sees the interface as well.

However, I just can not have it pop up as an input device under Alsa nor JACK within Reaper.
When I switch the default interface within JACK from Alsa to Hammerfall, it does not get reflected in Reaper and I am at a loss here.

I know I am just a step away before having configured my setup (my midi keyboard is good to go now as well!), so I am having a rather frustrating time not knowing how to proceed from here.

If anybody can either give me a simple explanation or point me to a link or two or more (preferably videos on YouTube or whatever), it would be super appreciated.

I will be looking forward to hearing from you and have a great day!
Rosetree
Rosetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 12:43 AM   #2
JamesPeters

Making multiple threads on this probably won't help. You were given links to relevant information already. It would be nice if some of this were easier for beginners to Linux but unfortunately sometimes it's more difficult and you need to do some research or trial and error. Linux is friendlier than it used to be, but it's still Linux.

If I had the same interface as you, I might be able to offer some advice. Unfortunately I don't. And since no one else here using Linux (you might have noticed it's not a very busy forum) mentioned that they have that specific audio device, I don't think you're going to get someone to hold your hand with this. Not here anyway.

I use different audio devices in Linux which are known to work properly without any problems (the drivers are in the kernel already). That was one of the considerations when I switched to Linux: making sure I was willing to get hardware that is compatible.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 08:58 PM   #3
Rosetree

Default Indeed☆

Hello.

Thank you for your advice.
Yes, Linux is more complicated and hard to get my head around than I had anticipated first.

I was able to show the name of the interface in the input device dropdown menu at last thanks to this comment I found in the following thread afterward.

"ALSA input/output field was blank too, clicked on it, did nothing...
but when fiddling in the blank field, I clicked on the dropdown arrow and the HW: usb audio Scarlett appeared !!"

https://www.linuxmusicians.com/viewt...hp?f=1&t=17309

It was really strange because Linux was recognizing the interface and I was able to play sound through it, but the option was not showing up inside Reaper somehow. Now, I know Reaper properly sees it.

I did think about (and have as an option yet) going ahead and purchasing a compatible audio interface, but since I really like the sound of my current interface, I wanted to see if it is somehow possible.

Anyway, I will continue the search and hopefully get it working since I have a feeling I am getting quite close.

By the way, what interface do you use?
As I mentioned, it is still an option for me to purchase one and knowing that something works for sure prior to purchase would certainly be nice.

Thank you and have a great day☆
Old 01-10-2020, 09:42 PM   #4
JamesPeters

I use a Scarlett 2i2 (3rd generation, the most current one). It worked properly with the driver in the kernel, but it still had a couple quirks. See this post. It's no big deal but it was still a little annoying. Also the 2i2 makes a "click" in the audio output when switching sample rates; it's not loud enough to damage the speakers, and it's only when going from playing MP3 to Youtube (or to Reaper), so it's something that doesn't bother me.

I've also gotten my onboard audio to work fine, which is very good quality (it uses a Realtek ALC1220), and an Asus Xonar DX (also very good quality). Like the 2i2, the drivers in the kernel worked properly. All three devices work with Pulse Audio, ALSA (which is what I use) and Jack.

If you need an interface with as much i/o as your Multiface, something like the 2i2 isn't going to cut it. But if you don't need all the i/o, the current 2i2 sounds quite good (the i/o in general and the mic preamps) and is very low noise. There are more inexpensive interfaces than ever that sound really good now.

Yes, I'm not surprised you had to select the input and output devices from the drop-down boxes. I think I did too, initially. The choices for the devices are there even if there's a "blank" entry at the top initially. It probably won't revert to having a blank entry in those lists, but at least now you know what to do if that happens again.
Old 01-12-2020, 01:11 AM   #5
s wave

If they are 'class compliant' they should work. Focusrite is good on linux. I think you just have to get your head around what is going on on your system that's all. You can always test the on linux AUDACITY... (audacity has a little alsa/jack switch) Also look in preferences>devices on Reaper to just look around.You will get a hang soon. Much depends on your system hardware... what OS you are using... and what kind of routing is set up. tc
s wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 01:13 AM   #6
s wave

Also check to see if you have to 'automatically disable Pulse' ON. should be in device preferences...?
s wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 08:02 AM   #7
Rosetree

Default Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s wave View Post
If they are 'class compliant' they should work. Focusrite is good on linux. I think you just have to get your head around what is going on on your system that's all. You can always test the on linux AUDACITY... (audacity has a little alsa/jack switch) Also look in preferences>devices on Reaper to just look around.You will get a hang soon. Much depends on your system hardware... what OS you are using... and what kind of routing is set up. tc
Hello s wave,
Thank you for your advice.

Unfortunately, my interface is not class compliant.
However, I have seen a number of comments here and there of people who succeeded in using it with Linux.

When I open Reaper, I always get the following error message.

ALSA: error setting input device period count

Since I have enabled the "Auto-suspend Pulseaudio" option already, I wonder if
it has something to do with the interference from Pulseaudio.

I still do not fully understand the relationship between Pulseaudio and ALSA well, so that could be in my way to figure out how things work inside Linux as well.

I really want to make it work somehow, so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Have a great day!
Old 01-12-2020, 08:31 AM   #8
Glennbo

What happens if you select JACK and tick the box for REAPER to start JACK?

I used to use a pair of old M-Audio Delta 2496 cards and had to use JACK to make them work with REAPER, but I used this line in REAPER's autostart JACK command box for audio setup.

You could try this line, replacing M2496,0 with your RME's device name.

/usr/bin/jackd -P80 -dalsa -dhw:M2496,0 -r44100 -p64 -n2 -Xseq

ALSA rides the closest to the audio hardware. JACK and Pulse ride on top of ALSA.

Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 08:54 AM   #9
JamesPeters

Did you try what I said on one of your other threads?

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...8&postcount=28

This is one of the reasons why it makes sense to stick to one thread.
Old 01-12-2020, 07:04 PM   #10
Rosetree

Default It worked!!!!

My interface is finally working!

Actually, to be precise, I realized it was working ever since I installed the packages that include my interface, RME Hammerfall Multiface, but because of my lack of understanding of how things are displayed rather differently inside Reaper Linux native version, I realized I kept on missing them in retrospect.

When I selected JACK as the audio system one another time and saw the available inputs by right-clicking the rec button, I was seeing the following:

system:capture_1(Input 1)
system:capture_2(Input 2)
system:capture_3(Input 3)
All the way to "8" because I assigned 8 channels for both input and output in the audio device settings page.

Because in the windows version, the available inputs always accompanied the word "Hammerfall" and since the word "system" was included in them, I assumed Reaper was seeing the internal sound card of my PC instead of my interface. So, I did not bother to try actually sending a signal to a rec-enabled track via the interface.

This time, I did and the signal was there! Of course, had I tried it earlier, it would have worked because the word "system" in the input options actually meant my audio interface, the "system" which JACK is seeing.

This is truly confusing and maybe it is indicated in the manual of JACK, but I just did not come to think of how names are displayed differently.

I am still not sure why it does not work when I select ALSA for the audio device, but at least I can get to work now.

Now the interface is working, I am on to my next phase which is figuring out which VST plugins I can and can't use. I already gave LinVST a try and succeeded in converting many of them to files that can be used inside Reaper native version, but I know some of them require rather complicated authorization processes which might not work with the native version, so let's see how that goes.

I think I will go grab a drink to celebrate

Once again, to everyone who gave me a helping hand, thank you so much and please have a wonderful day!
Old 01-12-2020, 07:07 PM   #11
Rosetree

Default I'm sorry for the belated reply

Yes, I gave them a try.
As I indicated in my last post, thanks to the advice and mental support from people like you, I was able to pull through.

Thank you so much and have a lovely day☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
Did you try what I said on one of your other threads?

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...8&postcount=28

This is one of the reasons why it makes sense to stick to one thread.
Old 01-15-2020, 11:35 PM   #12
Rosetree

Default Now ALSA is working as well!!

Hello〜

Just in case someone in the future might come across this thread!

As this person in the following thread wrote, it was just a matter of quitting JACK.
I can now see the inputs and outputs even when I select ALSA as the audio device!

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=209810
"EDIT! Okay I Quit JACK.... then launched reaper and now it is loading. Holy shit why didn't I think to try that. I completely misinterpreted your instructions. Apologies! THANK YOU!"

Oh my god, how simple the solution was and how complicated things can seem when you don't know what is going on.

Once again, I send my sincere appreciation to everyone who's helped me!
Have a lovely day!

Last edited by Rosetree; 01-16-2020 at 12:06 AM.