Old 01-30-2009, 10:15 PM   #1
lemmings
Human being with feelings

Default Creating a submix Buss track?

How do i create a submix buss track? (group some tracks together to process them through the same FX)

I read the manual, and it talked about inserting a Folder Track by clicking a folder icon and unlick the checkbox that said "send to master" (so it would have to send through the folder track, then to the master) ...but on Reaper 2.55 there is no folder icon as shown in the manual.

Like in Cubase, i would create a 'Group Track', and change the 'output' for each other track i wanted to group to the input of the Group track i created.. it was simple.

But i cannot find out how to do this in Reaper. ANy info would help me greatly. Or if someone could point me in the direction of some updated Manual that explained the process would be better.

Thanks!
lemmings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:29 PM   #2
bfloyd6969

The folder icon is located in the same row as the channels Mute, Solo, Phase, FX, etc. icons, to the far left of them. Different Color Themes will have different icon images but will be in the same general location. Which manual are you looking at? The one from Geoffrey Francis is very good and detailed.
bfloyd6969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:45 PM   #3
Lokasenna

I think what it means is that you click the little folder icon next to the track title to set a track as either the beginning, middle, or end of a folder. Once you've got the folder set up, going into each track's I/O window and unchecking Master/Parent Send will let you do FX bus stuff. Unfortunately, I've never played with that, so I can't help you there.

My preference would be to use aux sends though.

1. Add a new track, name it FX Bus or whatever you want.

2. Add your effects to it, chorus, reverb, whatever.

3. In the track controls for FX Bus, click the I/O button. This brings up the track's routing.

4. Click the dropdown box that says "Add new receive..." and add a receive for each track you want FX Bus to process.

5. Each receive can be configured pretty much the same as a regular track. Adjust the level of the send to change how much of a particular track is mixed through your effects and the pan of each send to pan it in the effects' stereo field.

6. You can also change where in the original track's signal chain the FX Bus copy comes from:

Post-Fader, Post-Pan - the very end of the original chain. Any changes you make to the original track, including volume and pan, will be sent through FX Bus as well.

Pre-Fader, Post-FX - Your copy comes out right after the track's FX chain, but before the volume and pan. This can give you a lot more flexibility in how much of the original track you hear versus the FX Bus version.

Pre-FX - Your FX Bus will get a direct, completely dry copy of the signal going into the original track. This is good for duplicating a signal if you want to process it two different ways - for instance, running a dry guitar through two completely different amp setups on two different tracks.

7. You should now have all of your tracks running through the effects you set up. Want more? Turn the aux track up. Piece o' cake.

You can do this with folder tracks, but to me it looks like a lot of extra work for what ends up being the same result.

Folder tracks, by default, take over all of the output from the tracks inside them - you wouldn't have any control over how much comes out with the folder's effects, and how much comes out dry. Personally, I use folder tracks to stick all of my guitars together, all of my drums, etc, so I can give them a final EQ or compressor on their way to the master.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:54 PM   #4
Mercado_Negro

Insert a track above all tracks you need to "group" and click on folder icon bfloyd6969 described previously. You don't need to untick "Master/Parent Send" on every track inserted in that folder.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:24 AM   #5
Sheppola

Make a new track and call it Sub-mix.
Click on the I/O of any of the tracks you want to send to it and click on the Add new send option.
A list of tracks will appear.Choose the sub-mix track.
No need to make any receives on the submix track as Reaper will do it automatically for you.
You can tick on the Midi on the send on each send if receive if you don't want any midi data sent by choosing none.
Do NOT un-tick any of the Master Parent options if you want the FX track to appear as normal when rendering.
HTH
Sheppola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 02:25 AM   #6
heylow

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmings View Post
How do i create a submix buss track? (group some tracks together to process them through the same FX)

I read the manual, and it talked about inserting a Folder Track by clicking a folder icon and unlick the checkbox that said "send to master" (so it would have to send through the folder track, then to the master) ...but on Reaper 2.55 there is no folder icon as shown in the manual.

Like in Cubase, i would create a 'Group Track', and change the 'output' for each other track i wanted to group to the input of the Group track i created.. it was simple.

But i cannot find out how to do this in Reaper. ANy info would help me greatly. Or if someone could point me in the direction of some updated Manual that explained the process would be better.

Thanks!
I just figured out how to properly do this myself. The way others describe isn't really a proper submix...it's a send. Very different.

The folder thing is fairly simple and works like this:

Say you want tracks 1-6 to be part of a submix.....

1) Create a new track above Track 1...this will be the Master.

2) Click the folder icon on the new Master Track (it looks like a folder...first button...directly to the left of the i/o button)...you should notice that the graphics change...the tracks under it will do a slide over kinda thing...you'll see it.

3) Click the folder icon on Track 6. You'll notice that this folder will have 3 different states. You should be able to click it once and notice that everything under Track 6 slides back over to normal. This is what you want.

I don't know if this is super clear but it works and it's easy....mess with it a bit and it will make sense. This will be what I believe you are looking for...a proper submix.

[dt]
..:: http://liontamersblues.tumblr.com/ ::..
heylow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 03:12 AM   #7
Wolffman

The image below shows the drum tracks 1-5 sent to track 6 Drum buss. In this example tracks 1-5 are also still being sent to the master buss.
The simplist way i think is to use the routing matrix, the circled highlighted area shows the routed drum tracks, just click in the boxes to route the tracks to the buss.

Another way is to just click-hold and drag to the buss as per the highlight arrow. If you can't see the sends right mouse on the master buss and select show sends when size permits.

If you don't want the tracks sent to the master buss as well you can click on the I/O button on each track and unselect master parent send.

Or the folder option described by previous posters will work similarly except the master/parent send will be unticked by default ( I think ) i'm not that familar with folders.

Hope that helps
Cheers

https://soundcloud.com/wolffman7

Last edited by Wolffman; 01-31-2009 at 05:23 AM.
Wolffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 04:22 PM   #8
lemmings

Default thanks!

Thank you all for the time you took to help me out.
Much appreciated!
lemmings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:51 AM   #9
czarnekci

I have the same problem to have real bus-group! I don't like the way with the sends. We should have the choice to have both sends routing and bus routing.

The problem with group folders is that the folder track is always monitoring input. If I want to record it, I have to uncheck all the master/parent send to listen only the recorded bus! And I'm not sur about what I'm listening when I'm recording this bus: the media recorded? or the outs of the subfolder tracks??

I have a problem with the monitoring in reaper...Maybe because I'm new, but I want to be sure of what I'm listening, that's the first condition to do the job...
czarnekci is offline   Reply With Quote