Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 06:49 PM   #241
steadyrev
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper optimized

These plug-ins are designed to be Reaper aware

http://www.vescofx.com/products
Old 03-08-2009, 07:00 PM   #242
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadyrev View Post
These plug-ins are designed to be Reaper aware

http://www.vescofx.com/products
awesome., thanks
Old 03-15-2009, 08:21 AM   #243
hardplay

Found this

"If you're struggling with jittery MIDI timing problems when playing soft synths 'live', it may be due to an entirely separate issue that affects quite a few sequencers on both Mac and PC platforms, including Cubase, Logic, Reaper and Sonar, amongst others."

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec0...etech_1207.htm
Old 04-09-2009, 12:42 AM   #244
Jae.Thomas

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewto...=asc&start=135

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttoz
reaper doesn't even have a tenth of the elegance, workflow and features, abilities of cubase. it's like comparing an fsm niki to an audi rs8.

oh by the way, i HATE reaper. so much, that i think there's no other software on the planet, that i hate so much.

who cares about the updates? it is always "fixing? something which means there are so many broken bits to begin with, and, it STILL has the same crap midi of 2 years ago. Reaper should be put down, buried and never ever allowed to ever be sold to anyone again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fandango
C'mon man, don't mince words, tell us what you really think. Laughing

But seriously, as much as Reaper has improved, it can't even compete in areas such as MIDI editing, the new VST Expression functionality in Cubase, notation support etc., and it doesn't seem likely that it will. Not necessarily a bad thing for Reaper (it knows its market) as not all users are interested in such things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericj23
1. Reaper constantly crashed with various commercial plug-ins (Cubase doesn't)
2 The discussion forum really is carp - fanboys are us (while Cubase's is getting better for years and is now very informative )
3 They're part of some huge corporation, which mean their livlihoods depend on getting it right (Justin Frankel is a multi millionaire who could get bored and walk away to do something else -after all he's only done that twice so far)
4 Reaper would have cost me more money - I already own cubase
5 Who wants to spend all your life downlaoding bug fixes ? - and if you want to see no updates buy logic
Quote:
Originally Posted by buscemi
Agreed. I'm not slamming Cockos but I would have to wait and see because unfortunately the trajectory of few developers working on an ambitious project in a saturated space doesn't always end well. Hats off for the effort, and I know Justin doesn't need the money but that's just another reason to be cautious.

Agreed. Looking at it in a clinical fashion, I'd say Reaper doesn't work for me (especially since the Mac version still seems to suck IMO) and I'd rather wait to see how the company does and if they are still around in 5 years. First point basically shows it doesn't help me make music. Second point is just reason for caution as stated above. IMO of course.

Last edited by Jae.Thomas; 04-09-2009 at 02:26 PM.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:21 AM   #245
zappsunzorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
Good post JBM, for just letting them speak for themselves without comment.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:49 PM   #246
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by zappsunzorn View Post
Good post JBM, for just letting them speak for themselves without comment.
ehh, their posts kinda speak for themselves lol
Old 04-09-2009, 02:20 PM   #247
fandango

Why is my comment in there Jason?

I'm not aware of having said anything unfair or inflammatory, even in that quote. Possibly in the past if you were to have a thorough search through KVR archives, but I haven't really given Reaper any thought since recently. I would've written that comment here as well (I pretty much have in your VST Expression thread and also in the MIDI Feature Request threads).

The MIDI editing in Reaper is still sub-standard (imo), but I wouldn't even bother to make suggestions about improvements here, or even bother downloading the latest betas, if I didn't think there was a glimmer of hope that someone (probably not Justin, to be fair) would implement them.

Most of my work involves using sample libraries, CC editing, notation, etc. and Reaper really isn't the best choice at the moment for me to accomplish these tasks in a workflow-friendly way.

ttoz's views are well known, but buscemi and eric are extremely helpful forum goers and selective quoting like this does them little justice.

Not upset or anything, just a bit suprised. And tired.

Last edited by fandango; 04-09-2009 at 02:26 PM.
Old 04-09-2009, 02:25 PM   #248
Jae.Thomas

i have no malicious reasoning for posting the actual quotes, but since this thread deals with reaper discussion in other forums, i thought the quotes were pretty poignant, and relevant.
its neither here nor there, really. Dont take it the wrong way

Last edited by Jae.Thomas; 04-09-2009 at 02:28 PM.
Old 04-09-2009, 02:27 PM   #249
bardo

They make fanboy sound like a bad thing!?
Old 04-09-2009, 02:32 PM   #250
fandango

Okay. Probably a mixture of me being extremely tired and facing a 4am trip to the airport tomorrow. At least you posted the link to the thread.

Perhaps when I'm back next week "ReaExpression" will have been implemented. :P
Old 04-09-2009, 02:52 PM   #251
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandango View Post
Most of my work involves using sample libraries, CC editing, notation, etc. and Reaper really isn't the best choice at the moment for me to accomplish these tasks in a workflow-friendly way.
Nothing wrong with that. These are exactly the type of comments and concerns that have brought reaper as far as it is

The trick now is to come up with a scheme that isnt hated by 90% of the other users
Old 04-15-2009, 08:21 PM   #252
Jae.Thomas

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewto...er=asc&start=0
Old 04-16-2009, 04:31 PM   #253
chris33ad

Default Cool T

Justin,
That t-shirt is COOL! I love reaper!

chris
Old 05-23-2009, 06:33 AM   #254
Jae.Thomas

Default http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=252114&postdays=0&postorder=asc&st art=0

some criticisms of reaper3 to keep in mind (or to "wtf"? at) not meant to be a flame post, somethings are good in here to keep in mind:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman
Every time I'm willing to give it an other chance, and every time it fails miserably at the first few hurdles..

it has crashed three times in 15 minutes on OSX while inserting AUs
there's still no media browser
there's still UI problems galore in dialogues etc

It's still very far from a finished product on OSX.
Very disappointing.

I hope for you guys that it works better on Windows

***===(LATER POST BY SAME POSTER)===***

I think Reaper still has a problem with AUs. I've been trying again for the last few hours using VSTs and have had no crashes.

I'm going to try and do a whole project in it for the first time. It's got some really great features so I'm hoping it will keep behaving itself.

***===(LATER POST BY SAME POSTER)===***

fair enough, but I'm still experiencing all the same problems I've had since the first alpha/beta versions.. which gives me little faith that any progress is actually made where it is important.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:45 AM   #255
Jae.Thomas

Default http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=252127&postdays=0&postorder=asc&st art=0

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibidy
WAY too complicated imo. Now, I have no idea about sx3 as I am on 4.5.2, but I feel cubase is much easier to navigate.[than reaper(Added by JBM]
Quote:
Originally Posted by koolkeys
One of the problems I personally see(my opinion) is that Reaper lacks refinement in many areas...I sometimes feel that Reaper just adds things on and throws new options in and then moves on after fixing bugs. But many little issues make it frustrating at times....So compared to C5(which I think is far better than SX3 was), Reaper's interface leaves something to be desired, IMO. ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by visa tapani
However, I agree with koolkeys in that Reaper, to put it mildly, "lacks refinement". To put it more bluntly, the UI is the most out of control confusing illogical scrapcollection I've ever seen. To adjust automation envelope parameters I have to in turn right click on the automation lane to enter it's menu, right click on the top left envelope button, right click on either the main track's or the automation track's info bar, the track's envelope button etc. Jaw-droppingly poorly laid out. Possibly the biggest UI problem for me is that when I add a VST FX to a track, I have to scroll through the entire list of my VST plugins as it doesn't recognize how they are arranged to folders on my HD. Is it really so that Reaper cannot be configured to recognize the physical folders where the plugins are in?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic
However, I agree with Visa Tapani and the rest that the basic GUI layout and workflow is a complete mess. It could definitely be improved a lot. For instance, take the new Bezier curve automation thing: Why on earth didn't they simply add a node where you can change the shape of the curve?? No.. instead you need to select it at a point and it has it's own pre-set steepness. Same with simple fade-in/fade-out which are still preset shapes and can not be changed.

The devil is in the details and details Reaper does not have, at all, just a bunch of shit thrown in randomly.

This might sound harsh but it IS true. I hope once they fix the comping that they dedicate one whole version in streamlining the application so that users who hate hundreds of keyboard commands (like me!) can get advanced stuff done when needed.

Anyhow, love Reaper dearly and couldn't switch now even if I got something like C5 for free. The pros still outweigh the cons in my opinion, by a large margin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aMUSED
Beziers are great but as I've said repeatedly on the forum they really need handles for full control over shape, angle etc (as in all graphics apps and as in Podium which still has the best bezier implementation imho although in other aspects I prefer Reaper)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic
Yeah. I prefer the FL Studio automation to Reapers when it comes to the curves. It's extremely powerful yet easy to use.

These are just some of the "half baked" problems of Reaper. There are literally several dozen of these similar problems all over the program. Promising implementation hidden behind bad execution and the keyboard actions menu (aaaarrgggh!! I hate that thing with a passion.. though it is powerful, it reminds me of the only real negative aspect of the now classic Logic 5.5, it had some functions that could be ONLY accessed via the keyboard shortcuts).
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraJV
A major issue for me as I use vsti is no freeze. The options it offers are not the same. Its great for just tracking tho.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman
I agree, it's starting to look good. It just need a hell of a lot of attention from some ergonomicist (if that word even exists) and UI designers.
just some thoughts to possibly (or not) keep in mind.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:22 AM   #256
Zargon the Destroyer

Could this thread get any creepier?

My feeling is no, but who knows? Perhaps it could!
Old 05-23-2009, 08:58 AM   #257
jamester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zargon the Destroyer View Post

+1

This thread's a little disturbing; if I were visiting from another forum I'd probably be like WTF???
Old 05-23-2009, 09:00 AM   #258
Jae.Thomas

Quote:

huh? how so? These are some interesting and perhaps needed quotes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamester View Post
+1

This thread's a little disturbing; if I were visiting from another forum I'd probably be like WTF???

why is that?

these are links to reaper discussions in other places - its a good idea, to get the thoughts from THERE to HERE, and for people here to be able to go over there and help

seeing it any other way, is much creepier.

I think there are some things here that could be taken into consideration, and then other things that are kinda funny - and then other things that kinda need clarification...

if its the general premise of the thread, you might want to ask justin... you know, the guy who umm, owns this place and wrote the software we're talking about?

Last edited by Jae.Thomas; 05-23-2009 at 09:11 AM.
Old 05-23-2009, 09:19 AM   #259
Jae.Thomas

oops wrong thread

Last edited by Jae.Thomas; 05-23-2009 at 09:30 AM.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:07 AM   #260
Zargon the Destroyer

Quote:
why is that?
Man, if you need to ask, you're not going to get it.

That this thread is a sticky makes my mind boggle, but whatever.

Reaper: software for the stalker/musician.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:10 AM   #261
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Man, if you need to ask, you're not going to get it.

That this thread is a sticky makes my mind boggle, but whatever.

Reaper: software for the stalker/musician.
right, so me just happening to visit other forums as i ALWAYS do for information (kvr, homerec, harmony central, Imageline, etC) and posting information about reaper here that would otherwise maybe not be found

is stalking?

wow.

how about this. if you dont like it, why dont you report the post to the admins? I think the threadstarter should be severely sanctioned for starting such a stalking thread.

otherwise, how about you just not post in this thread, thereby further promoting it?
Old 05-23-2009, 10:20 AM   #262
Zargon the Destroyer

Quote:
right, so me just happening to visit other forums as i ALWAYS do for information *snip*
...and reporting any mention of Reaper SO AS TO BETTER IDENTIFY ENEMIES OF REAPER! COMRADES, TO ARMS! LONG LIVE REAPER! HAIL! HAIL!...

Quote:
otherwise, how about you just not post in this thread, thereby further promoting it?
Like I already said, it's a sticky (mind-bogglingly).

It's no biggy - spend your time however you like. I simply felt compelled to register my fairly complete bemusement at this weird, creepy thread, if for no other reason than to record the fact that NOT ALL Reaper users are scary, obsessive types.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:27 AM   #263
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
...and reporting any mention of Reaper SO AS TO BETTER IDENTIFY ENEMIES OF REAPER! COMRADES, TO ARMS! LONG LIVE REAPER! HAIL! HAIL!...
umm, if you see it that way, i think that says alot more about you than you realize. In reality, its all projection.

I see it as presenting the opinions of alot of different people, and the negative ones about the interface/etc could be important!
Quote:

Like I already said, it's a sticky (mind-bogglingly).
yes, but you will keep reviving it in the "new posts" with your constant promotion of it.
Quote:
It's no biggy - spend your time however you like. I simply felt compelled to register my fairly complete bemusement at this weird, creepy thread, if for no other reason than to record the fact that NOT ALL Reaper users are scary, obsessive types.
oh, no need to worry, it doesnt take much time, i read through forums every so often, with the exception of this one which i read pretty much daily....

interesting that you think that justin is a scary, obsessive type :S

anyway, i see nothing wrong with posting criticisms of reaper. it would be one thing if i used my own, negative rebuttals, etc...

but i havent done that in my most recent posts in this thread. People are free to think what they think, and we are free to ignore it. Apparently you have issue with this.

not my problem.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:50 AM   #264
Zargon the Destroyer

Whatever, Trevor.
Closed Thread