Old 05-08-2016, 02:37 AM   #1
ReaperBoy
Human being with feelings

Default Rea EQ vs FabFilter Pro-Q 2

Ok, maybe an unfair comparison, but I would like to understand something, especially from engineers who are used to using higher end products like the Pro-Q

As a relativer Noobie in digital music creation, I would like to hear views of what to expect in terms of sonic difference when using for example the standard Reaper EQ plugin (which seems to work well) and a high end EQ.

If the rest of our studio is pretty standard home recording level .. affordable nearfields for mixing etc, will we appreciate the difference in investing in a higher end eq like this?

Maybe my question is a little vague, but I'd just like to hear whatever comments people with experience feel like adding. Thanks for your thoughts ..
Old 05-08-2016, 03:46 AM   #2
Gass n Klang

I never made a comparison but I haven't bought Pro-Q (and V2) for sonic reasons. It has a wonderful GUI that makes really fun to work with. This is an important fact for me. I wanna have fun when doing an 8 hours mix. The more important reason was the stunning flexibility and the user comfort. Many different filter types, easy m/s access (!) with a good visual discriminability of the m and s channel, a good analyzer, different phase options and so on. It definitly is my go to EQ.
Gass n Klang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 05:06 AM   #3
bazsound

Ive never compared them, as its not really a fair comparison.

ReaEQ is a good standard EQ.

fab filter pro q has way more features. a bigger display and mid side options plus linear phase mode .

The different latency modes (low latency threw to min phase) is probably where your going to hear sonic differences, but as far as i know this is not going to make things better in all circumstances.

there both tools, both more than capable in the right situations.
bazsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 05:09 AM   #4
Mordi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gass n Klang View Post
I never made a comparison but I haven't bought Pro-Q (and V2) for sonic reasons. It has a wonderful GUI that makes really fun to work with.
I agree with this. I have no idea which sounds better, but Pro-Q 2 has a wonderful GUI.
Mordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 06:15 AM   #5
brainwreck

I have monkeyed around with a bunch of other eq's, but I always end up back at reaeq. I never heard anything that wowed me in eq plugins, but I like the reaeq gui and flexibility over anything else I have used.
Old 05-08-2016, 06:21 AM   #6
bazsound

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwreck View Post
I have monkeyed around with a bunch of other eq's, but I always end up back at reaeq. I never heard anything that wowed me in eq plugins, but I like the reaeq gui and flexibility over anything else I have used.
http://myvst.com/vst-effects/luftikus-freeware

bit of a favourite of mine on a vocal bus after all processing.
bazsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 06:30 AM   #7
brainwreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazsound View Post

I think that I could never get along with a fixed-band eq plugin after using reaeq for so long (I have tried quite a few).
Old 05-08-2016, 08:50 AM   #8
bladerunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazsound View Post

I used to use this until I realised it's dB amounts were way off (it's boosting/cutting way more than it says basically) - and when I matched it with other eq's it was nothing special at all.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:09 AM   #9
ReaperBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwreck View Post
thanks brainwreck .. this is helpful
Old 05-08-2016, 08:47 AM   #10
bladerunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperBoy View Post
As a relativer Noobie..
...don't go wasting your money. For what you will gain it really isn't worth it in the slightest. If you're new to all this learn as much as you can with the tools Reaper already has and THEN decide if something like Pro Q wil help you achieve what you want to quicker/easier/better.

There is no sonic difference in 'real life scenario' terms- there MAY be in certain modes, in certain circumstances but it really will be absolutely miniscule.
Old 05-09-2016, 03:36 PM   #11
Win Conway

The biggest sonic difference is how transparent REAEQ is when you use it outside of Reaper on OSX, it is like it is invisible.

All kidding aside, i see little point in using any effects that are not universal and usable elsewhere, so if you are just on Windows great, but no REAplugs on OSX, no use to me.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:48 AM   #12
lolilol1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperBoy View Post
As a relativer Noobie in digital music creation, I would like to hear views of what to expect in terms of sonic difference when using for example the standard Reaper EQ plugin (which seems to work well) and a high end EQ.

If the rest of our studio is pretty standard home recording level .. affordable nearfields for mixing etc, will we appreciate the difference in investing in a higher end eq like this?
I would say the answer is no in real life situations. There *may* be a difference in extreme situations, where you change a range of frequencies by +/-15 dB with high Q factor, but that kind of situation shouldn't happen anyway.

If you are a beginning studio, I'd say learn to use the standard effects correctly and save your money for good quality virtual (or real) instruments. *That* will make a much bigger difference in your productions.
Personally, I am in a bit the same situation, and my go to EQ is ToneBoosters Equalizer, which is like ReaEQ 's bigger brother. Definitely not as powerful as something like FabFilters, but really, never felt the need for it. The Melda one also looks like a powerful option. Sonic wise, the difference is musch bigger on other types of plugins.

Last edited by lolilol1975; 05-10-2016 at 12:02 PM.
lolilol1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 12:11 PM   #13
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolilol1975 View Post
I would say the answer is no in real life situations. There *may* be a difference in extreme situations, where you change a range of frequencies by +/-15 dB with high Q factor, but that kind of situation shouldn't happen anyway.

If you are a beginning studio, I'd say learn to use the standard effects correctly and save your money for good quality virtual (or real) instruments. *That* will make a much bigger difference in your productions.
Personally, I am in a bit the same situation, and my go to EQ is ToneBoosters Equalizer, which is like ReaEQ 's bigger brother. Definitely not as powerful as something like FabFilters, but really, never felt the need for it. The Melda one also looks like a powerful option. Sonic wise, the difference is musch bigger on other types of plugins.
This is a very good point.

Hardware trumps software by a long chalk in terms of quality of results. Instruments, rental of a suitable room for recording, monitors, microphones, I/O, preamps etc.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 12:29 PM   #14
Liquid Fusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
This is a very good point.

Hardware trumps software by a long chalk in terms of quality of results. Instruments, rental of a suitable room for recording, monitors, microphones, I/O, preamps etc.
Agree. Good points. What hardware EQ's do you like? Hardware not to expensive but still good? Thanks.

Reason I ask - I bought Waves Q Clone plugin - one feature is letting hardware EQ control the plugin. Right now any hardware is expensive. FabFilter plugins are great but very expensive. ReaEQ is similar to Adobe Audition 3.01 Parametric EQ - except ReaEQ can add bands.

Wave VST3 plugins I own - VEQ3 - VEQ4 - Scheps m73 - PuigTec EQ1A / MEQ5 - Butch Vig's Vocal EQ. /all bought on rock bottom sale

Last edited by Liquid Fusion; 05-10-2016 at 12:43 PM.
Liquid Fusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 01:13 PM   #15
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Fusion View Post
Agree. Good points. What hardware EQ's do you like? Hardware not to expensive but still good? Thanks.

Reason I ask - I bought Waves Q Clone plugin - one feature is letting hardware EQ control the plugin. Right now any hardware is expensive. FabFilter plugins are great but very expensive. ReaEQ is similar to Adobe Audition 3.01 Parametric EQ - except ReaEQ can add bands.

Wave VST3 plugins I own - VEQ3 - VEQ4 - Scheps m73 - PuigTec EQ1A / MEQ5 - Butch Vig's Vocal EQ. /all bought on rock bottom sale
I've not used enough hardware EQ's to give an opinion, and I don't own any.

Personally, hardware EQ would be far down my wish list for gear.

Also, if I wanted something like Q-Clone to emulate real hardware, I'd buy Nebula, which has more advanced sampling technology and lots of inexpensive libraries of top hardware available.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 01:41 PM   #16
Liquid Fusion

Thanks. I bought QClone (on steep sale) as a useful tool for the many EQ curves it offers.

Interesting - Nebula Explained Free - Secrets Of Nebula VST Gain Staging Pt 1
Gain Staging / Sampling stages Interpolation - 5 min in

Last edited by Liquid Fusion; 05-10-2016 at 01:57 PM.
Liquid Fusion is offline   Reply With Quote