Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 06-26-2017, 05:45 PM   #1
PatJ
Human being with feelings

Default Humanize function is affecting non-selected notes in a MIDI item

Title says it all- I'll select a small subset of notes to be humanized, and as soon as the humanize window comes up, I can see all sorts of unselected notes in the MIDI item reacting to the humanize parameters along with the ones I've selected. It's happened across multiple projects where it hasn't ever been a problem before, so I suspect it's a bug rather than me being stupid.

Interestingly, it seems to only be certain keys in the piano roll that are affected- I'm using your standard Superior Drummer layout, and only 3 or 4 drums are actually being modified outside my selected notes.

edit: and it's only happening in certain MIDI items, oddly.

gif: http://imgur.com/a/KF7FD

Last edited by PatJ; 06-26-2017 at 06:14 PM.
PatJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:24 AM   #2
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatJ View Post
Could you perhaps post an RPP, so that we can try to replicate the bug?

Last edited by juliansader; 06-28-2017 at 08:59 AM.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 03:18 PM   #3
PatJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
Could you perhaps post an RPP, so that we can try to replicate the bug?
4 mb was too big for the forum, so here's a Dropbox link- hope the permissions are ok with this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7cggepcfrg...k%202.RPP?dl=1

As I said, it's only occurring in some MIDI items, so you may not be able to replicate it. That said, the issue happens for me around the 4:30 mark and will affect all MIDI notes to the end of the song at around 8:00.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:27 AM   #4
juliansader

The drum MIDI contains lots and lots of overlapping notes, and somehow this seems to cause shifting of the notes' positions. (The overlaps were concealed by the diamond note shapes.) After I ran the Action "Correct overlapping notes", the shifting was fixed.

Overlapping notes are not actually admissible MIDI data, according to MIDI standards, and REAPER does not always handle them gracefully. Even though the MIDI editor usually displays them correctly, several of REAPER's other functions will fail if they encounter overlapping notes.

Last edited by juliansader; 06-28-2017 at 08:59 AM.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:43 AM   #5
PatJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
The drum MIDI contains lots and lots of overlapping notes, and somehow this seems to cause shifting of the notes' positions. (The overlaps were concealed by the diamond note shapes.) After I ran the Action "Correct overlapping notes", the shifting was fixed.

Overlapping notes are not actually admissible MIDI data, according to MIDI standards, and REAPER does not always handle them gracefully. Even though the MIDI editor usually displays them correctly, several of REAPER's other functions will fail if they encounter overlapping notes.
Thanks so much for the reply! Much appreciated.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:37 AM   #6
ivansc

As a general rule of thumb, when you are creating or editing drum parts, you are far better off to use the option that displays drum hits as diamonds or triangles on the tcp timeline, which does away with the possibility of overlapping causing problems. Also makes it much easier to see what you are doing when editing really dense drum parts.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:56 PM   #7
juliansader

Even though the MIDI itself wasn't quite "legal", I have added this thread to the (ever-growing and never-to-be-fixed) Bestiary of MIDI bugs, for three reasons:

* If a program cannot handle a certain type of input, it should always warn the user before blundering ahead. This is a basic principle of good programming.

* If the MIDI editor itself can cope with overlapping notes and remember their correct positions and lengths, why can't other MIDI functions? Don't they have access to the MIDI editor's internal memory of notes?

* Most users would expect that whatever is displayed onscreen, accurately reflects internal processing. It is disconcerting when a program displays data in one way but secretly processes it in another.
Old 01-31-2021, 07:56 PM   #8
jhkillam

Sorry if resurrecting this thread is not ok, however I am having this same issue and I don't believe I have any overlapping notes as suggested in the thread.

I've put a sample Reaper project with one of the problem midi files in a dropbox folder here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/b3kfud9oc...bOGCITYHa?dl=0

There's also a couple videos showing it happening in that linked folder. For the project, it's the snare near the end, about the last 45 seconds of the song.

There are notes CLOSE together (like flams), but not doubled up right on top of each other.

The other video you can see it's just happening to one specific kick note. However that song is almost 11 mins long and I have randomly found other notes off without any apparent reason as well. I just happened to notice that one kick move while I was working on the toms next to it in the video.

Happening to me on both Windows and Mac.

Thanks if there's any advice!
jhkillam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 01:36 AM   #9
zacki

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhkillam View Post
Sorry if resurrecting this thread is not ok, however I am having this same issue and I don't believe I have any overlapping notes as suggested in the thread.
Hi. I downloaded your RPP and was able to reproduce the behavior of not selected notes moving when using humanize. I went into the same trap not long ago and found this thread. You definitely have overlapping notes in your project, even if you don't see them when note view is set to bars instead of triangles. Try the following:
  • Select all notes in your MIDI editor
  • Open actions list and type "overlap" in the filter box
  • Choose the action "Correct overlapping notes"
In the Options-Menu there's also "Automatically correct overlapping notes". It's good to have this enabled when you start editing.
Old 02-04-2021, 06:48 PM   #10
jhkillam

Ahhh yes I see them now after switching to the other note style view.

Quick test looks like the fix overlap action will be the key here and leaving the auto fix enabled going forward. Thanks!
jhkillam is offline   Reply With Quote