COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :

Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Other Software Discussion > Debris Discussion

Old 05-15-2008, 04:33 AM   #1
jaaniste
Human being with feelings

Talking Debris #46 -- how do I make it add images as quick as possible

hi brennan

I have windows xp with SP2.
I downloaded debris #46 tonight.

Using the settings that came with the install, the images came every half a minute or quicker.

Then I tried various setting tweaks, and now the images come every five minutes or so. I read through previuos forums threads on this site, and tried things like changing the image source site, and changing CPU usage and image procsesing, but nothing seemed to make it any quicker. At certain times it seemed like the whole tihngs had stopped -- but I checked the stats column and it showed several urls in the cache etc, as if working.

I read through the tweaking info on your website and I couldn't work out from that what to do.

Basically I am after your suggestions on the settings that would make the images refresh quickest, and also then what settings slow it down.

I am asking because I think the app is grand adn the images made from it quite mesmerising... I want to have a go and taking the app in various directions, adn don't want to wait overnight to find out the results of one setting, if you know what I mean.

perhaps a 'restore factory settings' button might help a little in this regard.

Cheers
and well doneon the whole enterprise.

Lj

Last edited by jaaniste; 05-15-2008 at 04:34 AM. Reason: typos
Old 05-24-2008, 01:25 AM   #2
Brennan
hey man

You're right, I really really need to post a better/updated tweaking guide. I will try to improve it soon.

In the meantime, I just wanted to say the best way (currently) for a factory reset is to delete the 'wasabi.xmlconfig' file in the Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Debris Visual Art directory.

It should really be a button on the UI I agree. But if you delete that file and restart debris, it will be back to defaults.

Oh, also, for quicker updating, a good trick is to leave debris paused for a while and let it build up its db of random image urls. If it runs out of them it can take a while to find more images that are useful, since not all random images are created equal.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:33 PM   #3
Petou

Default Trying to re-set

I too have been tweaking this and having a lot of fun. Some of the changes i like but some, meh, not so much. But I can't turn back cause i don't remember exactly what i did! So I'd just like to re-set the whole damn thing and start again. I have tried to find the 'wasabi.xmlconfig' file but haven't had any luck. Can you help, pls? I am using Vista.

Petou

PS love the program but especially monkey radio. grooving sexy beats indeed.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:15 PM   #4
Brennan
hey man

Well, I don't run Vista, but I asked around, and I heard that under Vista, you should look in c:\users\yourname\appdata. Where yourname is replaced with your windows login name. Heh, I really should build a "Reset all" button into Debris.

You also might have a "Roaming" directory in there, it might be under that. Let me know
Old 03-14-2009, 01:34 PM   #5
Petou

Default yea that worked!

Hey thanks. You were right; it was in c:\users\yourname\appdata\roaming in Vista. I deleted and started again.

Now, i don't know if you're still actively working on this but if I may be so bold, here's a wish list for the next build:

re-set button; "undo changes" and/or "go back" for unwanted tweaks; custom color highlighted object boundaries (or least black and white as well); option to have stats show at the bottom of frame as it evolves; ability to go to a folder(s) on your hard drive rather than drag and drop; a "clear frame every 15 mins" or your own custom time to re-boot the whole creation process; ability to put some words on the screen (sort of like free form poetry to go along with the images?) or even some specific image file of your own choosing sort of as a title or theme effect; and a better tweaking guide for us novice users (sorry, the other one's hard to follow).

I know this is just a side project for you, so I'm asking a lot but hey, thought I'd suggest this stuff anyway!

Petou

PS someone in this forum asked for a flickr image source. try this one for lots of good photos that are frequently updated:

http://www.flickr.com/explore/interesting/7days/

PPS monkey radio and debris trip well together...

Last edited by Petou; 03-15-2009 at 05:26 AM.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:27 PM   #6
Petou

Default one last thing...

I'm afraid I may have worn out my welcome here with too many requests but here's one last one anyway...can you put multiple urls in the "source image downloading" spot? I tried using a semicolon, a blank, even a + sign but nothing worked.

any help?
Old 04-27-2009, 12:48 AM   #7
Dan
up here in my tree

you can't wear out your welcome! brennan is probably just busy, give him more time
Old 04-27-2009, 05:55 PM   #8
Brennan
hey man

Yeah, you definitely haven't worn out your welcome. I just haven't been giving Debris the attention it deserves lately. I'm glad you noticed the Monkey Radio<->Debris connection, too