CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :
Old 02-12-2007, 05:51 PM   #1
rclocher3
Human being with feelings

Question Debris isn't doing anything...

Hello,

I downloaded bmem and I found it very useful and amazingly tightly coded, so I decided to try Debris as well. Unfortunately Debris just sits there with a black screen, and doesn't seem to be doing much.

I'm running XP Pro with SP2 and NAV 2006.

I tried downloading build # 44, and the same thing happens. I tried telling the Norton firewall (Norton Worm Protection, they call it) to explicitly allow Debris to connect to the internet. I don't think that Debris ever did try to connect to the internet though, because usually a Norton popup asks if you want to allow access the first time a given program runs, and I never saw the popup.

I also disabled my screensaver (BOINC ver 5.4.11) in case its CPU-hogging ways were making Debris think that the system was busy.

Then I started fiddling with Debris' controls -- I unticked "kill spensive" and "spensive by avg" (whatever those mean). Yet the statistics in the statistics page still mock me with zeroes. If I "Generate piclist in external browser" I get an empty list. The list of recently searched keywords is also empty.

Would someone please clue me in?

- Rob
Old 02-28-2007, 07:21 PM   #2
Brennan
hey man

Hmm, do you require a web proxy to be set? Debris doesn't have that setting at the moment (it's on my to-do list, however.)

Can you take a look at the Stats/Misc panel of the controls and see what some of the numbers say? For example, you should see the "Urls in url cache" number move at least every 30 seconds or so, and the "Total image bytes downloaded" should be increasing.

It's possible that the first couple of image fetches are just not finding suitable images, so the first image can take a while, so check those stats and see if they are moving.

Let me know here how it goes. We'll get it going.

Brennan
Old 03-01-2007, 12:07 PM   #3
rclocher3

My system isn't set up for a proxy server. I have a typical home setup here: a DSL connection and a wireless router/DSL modem that uses NAT.

The stats are all zeroes except for the canvas size. On the Image sources tab, the "recent searched keywords" box is blank.

I have Debris set up as my screensaver now, and it is also running as a normal application. It seems like nothing at all is happening.

- Rob
Old 03-02-2007, 04:08 PM   #4
Brennan
hey man

This might seem obvious, but try right-clicking on the canvas and see if "Pause" is checked. Worth a try If that doesn't work let me know and we'll do some more debugging.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:49 PM   #5
rclocher3

Nope, that wasn't it. Just for grins I tried checking "pause" and then unchecking it -- that didn't work either.

- Rob
Old 03-02-2007, 05:54 PM   #6
Brennan
hey man

OK, well can you try switching to Altavista random images for the image source? Or Livejournal latest images. It's really odd that nothing would come up at all. And I guess make sure that you're running the latest build (#46). If none of that works we can have you capture some debug output for me to look over. Let me know.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:17 PM   #7
rclocher3

Switching to AltaVista random images did the trick. I had been on Google image search with SafeSearch off -- apparently that doesn't work for build #45. BTW #45 is the latest build available on your site, not #46.

Thank you very much! I feel sure that I will enjoy Debris. I see what you mean about NSFW...

Very grateful,
- Rob
Old 03-07-2007, 04:12 PM   #8
Brennan
hey man

Excellent, I'm glad we got it working for you. What's likely is that Google probably changed the formatting of their image search result HTML. It's happened once before. Should be relatively easy to fix in the next version. I'm gonna have to think about popping up some kind of warning or something for the next time it happens I guess.

Enjoy!
Old 03-24-2007, 02:45 AM   #9
Almy

Ah HA! I had tried to use it a while back and had no luck. Sure enough switching to something other than google fired it right up. I switched back to google and put in a couple search terms and it seems to be working. Altho no clue if it's using google for sure, but worth checking. Edit: Looks like it's downloading from somewhere else, altho it says in recent words used that it's ones I've chosen...the pictures are definitely not.

But regardless, glad to have a shot at checking it out. So far, it's very cool.

Last edited by Almy; 03-24-2007 at 02:59 AM.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:36 AM   #10
chip mcdonald

.. .45 only works for me when using altavista random + internal dictionary...?

Last edited by chip mcdonald; 04-08-2007 at 09:39 AM.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:05 PM   #11
Brennan
hey man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almy View Post
Ah HA! I had tried to use it a while back and had no luck. Sure enough switching to something other than google fired it right up. I switched back to google and put in a couple search terms and it seems to be working. Altho no clue if it's using google for sure, but worth checking. Edit: Looks like it's downloading from somewhere else, altho it says in recent words used that it's ones I've chosen...the pictures are definitely not.

But regardless, glad to have a shot at checking it out. So far, it's very cool.
Looks like the Goog may have banned Debris' useragent for now. Wonder what happens if you put something else in the useragent field? Probably something awesome.

I should probably make Altavista the default source but it can come up with some scary stuff.

I'm also gonna revamp the image downloader at some point to reuse images a lot more times than once each so it doesn't put such a strain on the source server.