Old 11-29-2019, 02:15 PM   #401
cfillion
Human being with feelings

The "Show/hide columns" context menus of listviews are broken on Linux. The regular item context menus are always shown instead (eg. in track manager, media explorer...).

Last edited by cfillion; 01-04-2020 at 07:35 AM.
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 02:59 AM   #402
waywayka

Default Repear cannot load from nor save to Hard Drive with Auto Mount turned on.

After using Reaper and Linux Mint successfully for some weeks, I suddenly had a problem where Reaper would not load project, nor save projects to a secondary internal drive.

The problem became apparent after i had edited the Hard Drive's mount options to have it automatically mount on start up.

I tried turning off the option by switching back to 'User Session Defaults", but the problem persisted.

After using Timeshift to go back to an older configuration of my OS, it worked just as it did, luckily.

Just making a note of it here for anyone who encounters a similar problem.

(Am assuming the problem was auto mount and not some other script or package that came through an update, although I cannot be sure.}

Dell XPS 15 9530
i5 4900H 2.8 GHz
Linux Mint Tara 19.2 (MATE)
waywayka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 02:14 PM   #403
Teddy T-Bone

Exclamation Reaper crashing when setting MIDI output to hardware control surface

I've just moved to version 6.0 and at the same time trying to add an Xtouch One control surface on Ubuntu 18.04.

I've had only limited success in making any of the input control work with Midi input set to control only using Mackie Control Universal and the XT1 set to Reaper mode.

However, when I try to set the midi output of the device to hardware, reaper immediately crashes when clicking on Apply or OK.

Is there some other setting that I'm missing or is this a bug?
Teddy T-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 01:28 PM   #404
silksow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy T-Bone View Post
I've just moved to version 6.0 and at the same time trying to add an Xtouch One control surface on Ubuntu 18.04.
WOW, you have my respect for your ambition and faith lol - I rolled back with Timeshift within 20 min of trying out 6.0. Such an emotional rollercoaster, the excitement of a point release and then the subsequent crash of remembering the extent to which Linux is an afterthought. And then how lucky that we have Reaper at all.

In any case, just consider this a bump for the brave!
Old 12-08-2019, 01:34 AM   #405
shosty

How do I stop SWS telling me there is an update to download every time I open Reaper? There is no download for linux.
shosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 03:05 AM   #406
cfillion

Perhaps you have notifications for Beta releases enabled in Extensions > About SWS extensions? (The latest one has Linux downloads by the way: https://www.sws-extension.org/download/pre-release/)

Last edited by cfillion; 12-08-2019 at 03:18 AM.
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 03:46 AM   #407
shosty

Ah I didn't notice the check for updates options, must have been the one place I missed. I had official releases checked but realise now it was telling to update because reaper itself was not at the latest version. Unchecked both releases and beta, and now I only get notified of reaper releases which makes much more sense for me.
Old 12-08-2019, 06:48 AM   #408
Celphor

Default 6.0.1 Linux, ALSA MIDI broken?

Hi,

i connected an old M-Audio Oxygen for testing.
dmesg and lsusb show the device, and it also appears in Reaper.

But I receive no midi events in Reaper. Virtual keyboard works.

I tested with aseqdump on the command line and see all events coming in.

So it must be a Reaper problem. Reset Midi in Reaper does not help.
Celphor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 09:48 AM   #409
lilith93

Don't know if that's a bug, but I can't change the size of the IO window:

Debian - Stretch / XFCE
lilith93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 11:51 AM   #410
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celphor View Post
Hi,

i connected an old M-Audio Oxygen for testing.
dmesg and lsusb show the device, and it also appears in Reaper.

But I receive no midi events in Reaper. Virtual keyboard works.

I tested with aseqdump on the command line and see all events coming in.

So it must be a Reaper problem. Reset Midi in Reaper does not help.
I'm using reaper601+dev1207_linux_x86_64 in Xubuntu 19.10 with a QuNexus MIDI keyboard and it works fine. However at some point it was set as "disabled" in the MIDI devices section in preferences. (When this happened, I don't know, because I seldom connect the controller.)

So check your preferences for MIDI devices and see that your device is enabled. (You'll probably have to physically connect it first.)

Also be sure to:

-set the input channel of the track to be your MIDI controller specifically (or "all MIDI inputs")
-enable monitoring
-arm for recording
Old 12-08-2019, 12:17 PM   #411
Celphor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post

So check your preferences for MIDI devices and see that your device is enabled. (You'll probably have to physically connect it first.)

Also be sure to:

-set the input channel of the track to be your MIDI controller specifically (or "all MIDI inputs")
-enable monitoring
-arm for recording
It's connected and enabled

Of course armed and monitored, virtual keyboard is working ;-)

Thanks for your reply
Old 12-08-2019, 07:40 PM   #412
Stringer

Default Effects Window

I have been having a weird issue with the track effects lately. If I have two tracks, track one with no effects or some effects and track two with effects, and I open the effects window for the second track, it also opens the effects window for the first track and adds the effects from the second track to the effects of the first. This has happened three times. There is no routing or anything. It is just two bone simple tracks.

Is it possible that this is a problem with Tonelib GFX? Every time it has happened, Tonelib was in the second track, and it has started happening since Tonelib was updated, which fixed other problems but perhaps caused this one?

Linux Mint 18.3
Old 12-10-2019, 09:40 AM   #413
gnzg

Default Self-duplicating FX

Hey everyone, I made a reddit thread documenting what I believe to be a software bug on reaper, here's a copy of it :
Link here:https://www.reddit.com/r/Reaper/comm..._software_bug/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a weird problem where the FX chain on a track gets copied on another track whenever I try to open the FX windowIt's kinda strange so I made a little video [VIDEO CAN BE FOUND ON THE ORIGINAL THREAD] where you can see a whole bunch of reasamplomatic being duplicated everytime I open the fx window

It only happens when I try to open the FX window by clicking on the "FX" button on the TCP, clicking on the same button on the mixer panel or using a keyboard shortcut won't cause an issue, so it isn't an existential threat, but it's still annoying

I'm trying to make a track template for a drum sampler with:-1 track with 8 Reasamplomatic5000, each with its own stereo channel (1/2 to 15/16) going in a folder track which receives all 16 inputs (and can be used to add fx to any of them) and them mixes them with a "8x Stereo to 1x Stereo", which is then sent to master as stereo 1/2

I saved the folder track as a track template and when I load it, the track inside with its FXs and routing is also loaded, which is great and exactly what I want, except for the fact that self duplicating fx chain which is puzzling the hell out of me

I have tried reverting to reaper 5.99 and it fixed the issue which makes me think it's a v6 bugThe bug appears on both v6.00 and v6.01I have created an account on the Reaper forum to report it but it hasn't been activated yet (apparently the admins have to do it manually ??)

EDIT9999: I made a bunch of edit documenting my process and then erased them all because I'm quite confused and I need to study this supernatural and unholy phenomenon more thoroughly

EDIT9̶̹̟̝̝̻͚͐́͆͆͑̿́̚ͅ³̷̜͙͉̤͈̓̅̏̿͂͐̊̕͝^̸̗̭̎͒͂͂̅̈́̓͌̚ ̜͈̳3̷̢́͌́͋̇̈́̃͘3̵̠̖̬̯͇̜̪́̈́͊̈́̈́̐2̴̧̖̮̣̙̼̯̝̭̒̔͠2̵̨̛̰͙́ ̡̩̭̱̩̜͉1̷͉̖̤̤̼̑͂̿̈͒1̸̳̦͙̌2̵̫̩̫̲̝̹̮̭̼̗͒̆͂̈́̂̽͆̿: The bug just... vanished ? I can't... I... What ?
I now live in terror knowing that it might resurface at any moment,
I will keep this updated if I find anything new on the topic
Reaper 6 looks great otherwise !

The last edit highlights an important part of the issue, which is that the bug may or may not trigger at times, and I don't know why exactly, but it still pops up every once in a while

Hope this is useful, if anyone has any feedback or has experienced the same issue, please message me
gnzg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 10:50 AM   #414
Stringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnzg View Post
Hey everyone, I made a reddit thread documenting what I believe to be a software bug on reaper, here's a copy of it :
Link here:https://www.reddit.com/r/Reaper/comm..._software_bug/

I have a weird problem where the FX chain on a track gets copied on another track whenever I try to open the FX windowIt's kinda strange so I made a little video [VIDEO CAN BE FOUND ON THE ORIGINAL THREAD] where you can see a whole bunch of reasamplomatic being duplicated everytime I open the fx window

It only happens when I try to open the FX window by clicking on the "FX" button on the TCP, clicking on the same button on the mixer panel or using a keyboard shortcut won't cause an issue, so it isn't an existential threat, but it's still annoying
Yes, this is the same problem I posted about in the previous message. If you are not using Tonelib GFX, this makes it clear that it is a Reaper bug.
Old 12-10-2019, 11:38 AM   #415
Jack Winter

See if you can make a minimum project that has the bug and a description of how to trigger it, then email it to cockos.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 05:33 PM   #416
FeedTheCat

Hey guys,

I have a weird issue where when I put the Actions Dialog on a secondary monitor and press "Find shortcut" (anything that opens another dialog actually) gnome-shell crashes. I would assume that it is a libswell issue but the coredump doesn't endorse my assumption.

Stack trace of thread 994:
#0 0x00007fadb2fc7f25 raise (libc.so.6)
#1 0x0000564d12ba59e9 n/a (gnome-shell)
#2 0x00007fadb2fc7fb0 __restore_rt (libc.so.6)
#3 0x00007fadb2fc7f25 raise (libc.so.6)

I'm not sure but I think it used to work just fine. My gnome-shell version is 3.34.1. Can anybody replicate? (Save your project first :P)
FeedTheCat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 02:47 PM   #417
Teddy T-Bone

Default More info on Reaper crash with Xtouch

Tried versions 6.01 and 5.99 with same result. Selecting "R" option on install script produces following crassh error:

ALSA lib rawmidi_hw.c: 233: (snd_rawmidi_hw_open) open /dev/snd/midiC2D0 failed: Device or resource busy
alsa_rawmidi: error opening hw:One for input (-16)
ALSA lib rawmidi_hw.c :100: (snd_rawmidi_hw_params) SNDRV_RAWMIDI_IOCTL_PARAMS failed: Device or resource busy
reaper: rawmidi.c: 274: snd_rawmidi_open_conf: Assertion `err >= 0' failed.
Aborted (core dumped)

Here's the output of amidi -l

Dir Device Name
IO hw:2,0,0 X-Touch One MIDI 1

Can anyone offer insight or additional debugging suggestions?

Quote:

I've had only limited success in making any of the input control work with Midi input set to control only using Mackie Control Universal and the XT1 set to Reaper mode.

However, when I try to set the midi output of the device to hardware, reaper immediately crashes when clicking on Apply or OK.

Is there some other setting that I'm missing or is this a bug?
Teddy T-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 12:15 AM   #418
Celphor

Quote:
Tried versions 6.01 and 5.99 with same result. Selecting "R" option on install script produces following crassh error:

ALSA lib rawmidi_hw.c: 233: (snd_rawmidi_hw_open) open /dev/snd/midiC2D0 failed: Device or resource busy
alsa_rawmidi: error opening hw:One for input (-16)
ALSA lib rawmidi_hw.c :100: (snd_rawmidi_hw_params) SNDRV_RAWMIDI_IOCTL_PARAMS failed: Device or resource busy
reaper: rawmidi.c: 274: snd_rawmidi_open_conf: Assertion `err >= 0' failed.
Aborted (core dumped)

Here's the output of amidi -l

Dir Device Name
IO hw:2,0,0 X-Touch One MIDI 1

Can anyone offer insight or additional debugging suggestions?
Looks like the MIDI In Port is already opened by another program or REAPER itself (Preferences Audio/MIDI Devices)

If you don't start Reaper and try aseqdump -p <your port id>, can you see input?
Old 12-15-2019, 10:46 AM   #419
petervh

I've recently installed Reaper on Ubuntu, and noticed a small GUI window resizing bug.

When I load Reaktor, and pull the right corner to resize the GUI, the GUI extends outside the bounds of the Reaper VST window. If I close the window, and reopen, the GUI window adheres to the dimensions of the VST GUI that were previously selected. Whereas, on OSX, when you resize the VST GUI, the Reaper VST window resizes with it.

I don't currently have any other VST's installed that can be resized in this manner, so I have only tested with Reaktor.

I have made a GIF to show the behaviour:
https://gfycat.com/safeallgnatcatcher
petervh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 10:49 AM   #420
shosty

I think the default locations of the installer are not right. I can't ever remember seeing ~/opt in many years of using linux.

The standard user install location would be ~/.local/opt (or always used to be). I can see that having it in a hidden directory could perhaps open up an issue of non computer savvy people being unable to find it but isn't ~/.config/REAPER the default place for settings etc?

It would seem better to make a user choose best practice if they don't have another specific preference.
Old 12-18-2019, 12:39 PM   #421
Xasman

Quote:
Originally Posted by shosty View Post
I think the default locations of the installer are not right. I can't ever remember seeing ~/opt in many years of using linux.

The standard user install location would be ~/.local/opt (or always used to be). I can see that having it in a hidden directory could perhaps open up an issue of non computer savvy people being unable to find it but isn't ~/.config/REAPER the default place for settings etc?

It would seem better to make a user choose best practice if they don't have another specific preference.
Hmm... not sure about this - opinions seem to differ on the subject. For example, there's an interesting article here which argues precisely the opposite. There's also a discussion about it here
Xasman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 01:08 PM   #422
Lokasenna

Really, as long as it's not ~/.reaper I'm happy either way. Not sure why so many people think it's okay to pollute my home folder with their installs.
Lokasenna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 01:56 PM   #423
Xasman

FWIW, I always use the default number 1 install (to /opt) and prefer it that way because I always backup my home folder, which includes my Reaper configuration files (in ~/.config) but doesn't needlessly backup the Reaper program install itself as well.
Old 12-18-2019, 02:03 PM   #424
shosty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xasman View Post
Hmm... not sure about this - opinions seem to differ on the subject. For example, there's an interesting article here which argues precisely the opposite. There's also a discussion about it here
Yeah I know there has always been some debate about that but I've always understood it as binary installs go to /opt and self compiled programs go to /usr/local.

I would think that, if ~/.local/opt is generally not preferred then, it should be ~/.opt, I don't want to see an opt directory if I have set to hide hidden directories. There's not really any reason for this to be so 'surface level', if a user doesn't want to see 'system files' then ~/opt is a glaring inconsistency.
Old 12-18-2019, 03:47 PM   #425
Xasman

Quote:
Originally Posted by shosty View Post
...I've always understood it as binary installs go to /opt and self compiled programs go to /usr/local.
Yes, that's my understanding too, so doesn't it make sense that, since REAPER is a binary install it should go into /opt? If it's not in your home directory you don't have to look at it there at all.

Another advantage to me with this setup is that I have two user accounts on my Linux machine (both of which are really mine) and so I can access REAPER from either one of them, and even have a different configuration on each!
Old 01-19-2020, 05:29 PM   #426
ryukau

Default Re: VST3 plugin with GUI makes REAPER segfaults

Hi.

It turned out that VST 3 GUI bug was at my fault. Sorry for wrong report.

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=381

To enable VST 3 GUI using VSTGUIEditor class, I had to bring RunLoop class from VST3Editor class source code. RunLoop class is written in `vstgui4/vstgui/plugin-bindings/vst3editor.cpp`.
ryukau is offline   Reply With Quote