Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 01-21-2022, 08:16 AM   #1
terryj47
Human being with feelings

Default Next stupid ? Does ReaComp work on MIDI tracks?

My current project has several recorded guitar and bass tracks (using my 2i2 interface). I have MIDI drums from MTPDK2 and piano using 4Front piano. The MIDI tracks were "composed" using the MIDI editor. ReaComp when enabled and disabled on the MIDI tracks doesn't seem to affect the sound even with ridculouse compression settings.
Thanks again,
Terry
terryj47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 08:23 AM   #2
DarkStar

No, not on the MIDI itself..

You might find that this will help: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=208678

Last edited by DarkStar; 01-21-2022 at 08:48 AM.
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 08:27 AM   #3
terryj47

Thank you DarkStar
I was pretty sure it doesn't unless there is some setting I'm unaware of. There are many I'm sure
Old 01-21-2022, 08:34 AM   #4
EpicSounds

ReaComp works when you put it after the instrument to process the audio signal.
Old 01-21-2022, 08:48 AM   #5
Judders

Yeah, everything after the midi instrument plugin is audio just like anything else, so you can use any plugin after that, just like a recorded track.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 09:49 AM   #6
bigjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryj47 View Post
ReaComp when enabled and disabled on the MIDI tracks doesn't seem to affect the sound even with ridculouse compression settings.
Thanks again,
Terry
Note that Default Ratio for ReaComp in 1:1 (whiche means "no compression").
So in order to achieve compression you must change the ratio to a settings suitable for your goal.
No matter how low the threshold is set, if ratio is 1:1 no compression is applied
bigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 11:37 AM   #7
terryj47

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoe View Post
Note that Default Ratio for ReaComp in 1:1 (whiche means "no compression").
So in order to achieve compression you must change the ratio to a settings suitable for your goal.
No matter how low the threshold is set, if ratio is 1:1 no compression is applied
Thanks everyone. I understand the 1:1 is not compression. I start with 4:1 with a threshold of -18. On my recorded real instruments, it has an effect. On my virtual drums and keyboards I don't hear anything when I bypass it on and off. Like I do on the real instruments. Maybe I have something else set wrong.
Old 01-21-2022, 12:31 PM   #8
dea-man

Is it placed before, or after, the midi instrument?
Old 01-22-2022, 05:07 AM   #9
terryj47

Quote:
Originally Posted by dea-man View Post
Is it placed before, or after, the midi instrument?
I have left hand and right hand MIDI piano tracks with just the 4Front paino VST inst on them. These are child tracks to a parent folder. The parent folder has ReaComp first followed by the JS loudness meter. Enabling ReaComp and disabiling it has no effect on the sound or meter levels -- even with ridiculous compression settings.
Thanks for asking.
Old 01-22-2022, 05:40 AM   #10
jrk

maybe post an example project (just the RPP file) here so that we can have a look?
Old 01-22-2022, 08:15 AM   #11
dea-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryj47 View Post
I have left hand and right hand MIDI piano tracks with just the 4Front paino VST inst on them. These are child tracks to a parent folder. The parent folder has ReaComp first followed by the JS loudness meter. Enabling ReaComp and disabiling it has no effect on the sound or meter levels -- even with ridiculous compression settings.
Thanks for asking.
Did you try reversing the placement?

Did you try putting the compressor "after" the instrument?
Old 01-22-2022, 11:38 AM   #12
nait

A few things...

The way you describe (ReaComp on parent track, vstis on child tracks) *should* work, barring any other set up issues. So...

Is "preview filter" checked in ReaComp? I never use this, but looks like this will do exactly what you're describing. Looks like it's purpose is just to SHOW you what compression would happen, but wont actually compress.

Failing that...
If you watch ReaComp plugin as you're playing the piano that feeds into it, do you see the audio signal moving on the threshold slider? It should show what the signal is coming in at. Is it crossing the -18db threshold? It of course needs to in order for any compression to happen.

If you don't see incoming signal on the threshold slider at all, is your detector input set to Main Inputs? Is your routing correct? (you can have child tracks set up to not route to parent)

If you DO see the incoming signal on the threshold slider, do you see anything happening on the meter just left of "Output mix"? This will show much the signal is being compressed.

NEXT yet, this is unlikely, but did you accidental change the dry/wet knob in the top right of the FX window (look for the "UI" button in the top right.. it's the knob to the right of that).
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk Mobo, Ryzen R9 3900X, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia RTX 2080 Super, Arturia Minifuse 2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 06:19 AM   #13
terryj47

Default thanks for the suggestions

All,
I have had to put this aside as life is getting in the way. Thanks for the suggestions and I will look at all of them when I get back into this project.
Terry
Old 01-29-2022, 06:32 AM   #14
terryj47

Default I just don't get the meters in Reaper

Back on the project this morning and I'm stuck. I don't get the meters. I'm trying to get my project to sound more or less like other recorded music. Purchased iTunes, ripped CDs, Youtube, etc.

My master track has 3 plugins in top to bottom order; ReaComp, DragonFly Hall reverb, and JS loudness meter.
My master track level is set to 0 dB.

The reverb is set to just add a smidge.

ReaComp threshold is set to -18 dB and ratio is 4:1. I assume 4:1 means 12dB. Wet gain is 0 dB. Dry gain is -inf.

Master track FX are all checked on.

When I do a dry run or actual MP3 render, The stats from the render report -18.7 LUFS-I and the JS loudness meter reports -15.7 LUFS-I so 3 dB hotter.

When I uncheck ReaComp in the master track FX and change nothing else I get -25 LUFS-I in the render stats and -22.1 LUFS-I on the JS loudness meter.

My tracks are relatively hot but none of them hit the red level (which I think is -6 dB). Playback also reports -15.7 on the JS LM with ReaComp on.

My project rendering sounds pretty good but it is still a little weak compared to various music.

It seems like these levels don't make sense. Seems like nothing is "calibrated" in this signal path.

Am I doing something wrong? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-29-2022, 06:52 AM   #15
terryj47

Default Confirmed - ReaComp does work on MIDI tracks

I just confirmed that it works just like Kenny G's tutorial. I added ReaComp to MTPDK2 kick and 4Front piano MIDI tracks FX and you can definitely here the compression when you adjust settings.

Don't know what I was doing wrong when I first posted this thread.

But the meter thing and the weak track levels are still bugging me.
Old 01-29-2022, 11:23 AM   #16
terryj47

Default Understand Render and JS Loudness levels - Finally

The JS Loudness meter must be pre-MT fader. That may have already been stated. When I set the MT fader to +3 dB, the render stats and the JS LM stats agree. I tried setting the MT fader to +6 and got some clip indications. +5 dB was clean. And the project MP3 file is now louder than some ripped tracks from the Dire Straits "Brothers in Arms" CD. The BinA tracks sound good. so MT fader could be reduced a dB or 2 to make the apparent loudness. No tracks in the project overloaded since I didn't touch the individual track levels.

Happy Camper.

Thanks again to those that offered explanations and/or suggestions.