Old 06-15-2022, 03:22 PM   #1
ayskura
Human being with feelings

Default Plugin Replacement

It would be awesome to be able to replace a plugin keeping the settings... for example working on a mac with audio unit then moving to a PC where there is the same plugin in VST format...

also would be great to have some newer version of the plugins adapt the same setting by replacing the plugin...
ayskura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 08:12 AM   #2
rncwalker

For plugins to keep their settings like you want, that would come from the company that makes the plugin.

Nothing that Cockos could do.

Robert
rncwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 10:26 AM   #3
mpl

Each plugin has it is own way to be stored in RPP. So plugin replacing is not easy (sometimes even possible) task.

However, some plugins are surprisingly same between different versions and even types (if I remember right I was success at replacing vst by vst3 for some small plugins). Another way is to store all the parameters + envelopes + learn + modulation and return it to new version of plugin.

In the past I built something like this, but because of bad chunking skills I removed it from repository, though it worked good (for example, some au mac -> vst pc, guitar rig 5 -> 6, some vst-> vst3, broken plugin - > working version).

Whel, I can take it back and try to reimplement in a better way if you want.

Last edited by mpl; 06-16-2022 at 11:09 AM.
mpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 10:51 AM   #4
Reapology
Banned

Quote:
It would be awesome to be able to replace a plugin keeping the settings... for example working on a mac with audio unit then moving to a PC where there is the same plugin in VST format...
This ^ is the exact (reason) why rack extensions can work nice for some.
1 place to update,shop,create:: sharing becomes super easy when it is all built in by design.

Bit odd though..>they< developed their own format- and then released their newer rack as vst3..hmmm =time to milk the new cashcows? LOL.
Reapology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 07:00 AM   #5
McSound

Most of plugins have built-in save and load patch function. I used it just in that case when I need to port plugin settings to another daw for instance. But you have to do it with every plugin of the chain, one by one.
McSound is offline   Reply With Quote