Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Color Themes and Icon Sets

Old 01-26-2020, 06:41 AM   #1
Joe90
Human being with feelings

Default Modified 6.0 Theme - Disable Meter Expansion on Multi Output VSTis?

There's a feature in the 6.0 default theme that I haven't seen discussed anywhere, it's giving me trouble with my mod, and I don't know how to disable it -

Whenever I have a multi-output VSTi on a track, the MCP layout expands massively. I can see why this could be helpful, it lets you get a clear view of the multiple output sends in the mixer, but I don't like it.

How do I turn it off? I don't see an option in the theme adjuster... is there something I can amend in the Walter code to stop this larger track expansion on multi output VSTi's?

Cheers.

Last edited by White Tie; 01-27-2020 at 06:47 AM.
Joe90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 07:32 AM   #2
flyshe

You can change it in the Theme Adjuster.
First select "Mixer Control Panel",
in the Layouts uncheck "Do Meter Expansion"
flyshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 08:17 AM   #3
Joe90

Nope, doesn't help.

You are talking about general meter expansion. I'm talking about the specific EXTRA meter expansion that happens when you use the function 'build multichannel routing for output of selected effect'. If you don't use VSTi's with multichannel outputs then you won't have even noticed it.

I can understand why you'd be confused though, as I've seen literally NO mention of this function being added in any documentation, or on WT's thread that explains/introduces the 6.0 theme, or anywhere else for that matter.

I thought it was a bug for a month before I realised it was intentional!
Old 01-26-2020, 08:36 AM   #4
flyshe

Hey Joe90,
I think I understand exactly what you mean: When inserting a multichannel Vsti, that track in the MCP will expand to a ridiculous width.

If make the changes as described in the Theme Adjuster, the Multichanneltrack looks exactly like all the other tracks in the mixer.
At least for me it works, just tried it with Tx16wx Sampler and its 24 Outputs.

Are you sure you are applying the right Layout to your Multichanneltrack?
flyshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 08:58 AM   #5
Joe90

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyshe View Post
Hey Joe90,
I think I understand exactly what you mean: When inserting a multichannel Vsti, that track in the MCP will expand to a ridiculous width.

If make the changes as described in the Theme Adjuster, the Multichanneltrack looks exactly like all the other tracks in the mixer.
At least for me it works, just tried it with Tx16wx Sampler and its 24 Outputs.

Are you sure you are applying the right Layout to your Multichanneltrack?
Just checked this on the default 6.0 them and you are correct, my apologies. Whilst this works as you described on the default theme. It doesn't do that on my mod in which I've edited the mixer track width to make it narrower (turning off meter expansion makes the multioutput vsti a bit smaller, but not normal size), so I've obviously screwed something up at my end. Hopefully I can figure out what it is.

Thanks for the clarification.

It would still be nice to know how to turn this function off and still utilise meter expansion though.
Old 01-26-2020, 09:32 AM   #6
dug dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyshe View Post
You can change it in the Theme Adjuster.
First select "Mixer Control Panel",
in the Layouts uncheck "Do Meter Expansion"
I posted a similar thread about an hour after this one. Thanks, flyshe.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....63#post2236763
dug dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 06:54 AM   #7
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
It would still be nice to know how to turn this function off and still utilise meter expansion though.
I'm not clear what it is you're seeing, and what it is you want to see, perhaps some screenshots? FYI The meter expansion is there to solve the problem of very thin multi-channel meters on the old fixed width tracks, that is all, but if you've been funking with the code then who knows what's going on
Old 01-27-2020, 02:03 PM   #8
Joe90

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
I'm not clear what it is you're seeing, and what it is you want to see, perhaps some screenshots? FYI The meter expansion is there to solve the problem of very thin multi-channel meters on the old fixed width tracks, that is all, but if you've been funking with the code then who knows what's going on
Thank you for your reply. No, I'm not expecting you or anyone else to fix my clunky mod, don't worry about that.

What I'm asking is - assuming the theme is just default 6.0 - is there a way I can have normal meter expansion ON in the theme adjuster, following the normal meter expansion options, just not doing the EXTRA meter expansion for the multi-output tracks? As soon as you set the meter expansion to even 2 pixels, the multi-output tracks expand massively, I'd like them to expand at the same rate as everything else. Is this easily achievable by removing/editing some lines in the Walter code/Theme adjuster script? Or is it much more complex than that?

Not a big deal by any means, but if it's possible and not too complex then it would be helpful to know how to do it.

Thanks.
Old 01-28-2020, 07:42 AM   #9
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
What I'm asking is - assuming the theme is just default 6.0 - is there a way I can have normal meter expansion ON in the theme adjuster, following the normal meter expansion options, just not doing the EXTRA meter expansion for the multi-output tracks? As soon as you set the meter expansion to even 2 pixels, the multi-output tracks expand massively, I'd like them to expand at the same rate as everything else.
There is no 'normal' meter expansion. There is no 'everything else'. The meter expansion only happens for multichannel tracks. If something else is happening for you, either you have found a theme bug, or you are using an out of date theme build (IIRC this may have been broken for a moment at some point in the theme development) or you are using a broken mod.

Please let me know which, because if its a bug then obvs I need to fix it. Thanks!
Old 01-29-2020, 01:11 PM   #10
Joe90

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
There is no 'normal' meter expansion. There is no 'everything else'. The meter expansion only happens for multichannel tracks. If something else is happening for you, either you have found a theme bug, or you are using an out of date theme build (IIRC this may have been broken for a moment at some point in the theme development) or you are using a broken mod.

Please let me know which, because if its a bug then obvs I need to fix it. Thanks!
Now I'm confused - if in the theme adjuster 'DO METER EXPANSION' is checked across all boxes on layout A (for example) and I increase the meter expansion amount from 'NONE' to 2 pixels or higher, I can see ALL tracks assigned to this layout expanding. I was under the impression this is the whole point of this feature, so you can have just selected tracks expanded, or just armed tracks?

I'm checking this with the default 6.0 theme, but I suppose it's possible that Reaper could be referencing an older version in my overcrowded themes folder. I assumed if I select 'default' at the top of the list of themes, then Reaper will know to use the latest default version that was downloaded with the actual Reaper installation file. Perhaps I'm wrong there though. Perhaps I also need to delete the theme adjuster script and reinstall it, maybe it got mixed up with an older version.

I have to say, I actually thought this was a neat function, it's nice being able make all channels wider, or just selected/armed ones, or just a specific layout, so I'm surprised to hear it might be a bug, and it's ONLY supposed to be doing meter expansion on multichannel tracks.