Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 01-08-2018, 12:02 PM   #161
BaronStinky
Human being with feelings

I recently bought an Antelope Orion Studio. Incredible I/O, sounds great. It has a bunch of FPGA plugins that emulate old hardware, but I haven't even tried em as I have too many plugins already. Honestly, it's incredible how much they packed into this thing.

But. The fnarking stability/drivers. I am a professional, small-ass-time engineer. My budget is razor thin, I do location recording in bars and weird places, and I have zero time for funny businesses. Been on the horn with tech support too many times, and they have a windows 10 style "let's push firmware updates constantly and automatically" ethos.

Still having sync issues with my non-mobile daw. Ableton hates it. Reaper... deals better.

Will be selling. It sounds amazing, but really this is an expensive hobbyist's toy, not a pro piece of kit. Will be either going back to Motu or trying out RME. I've owned 5 interfaces in the last 10 years, and never had hassles like this before - except with an Orion32. Heh. Didn't learn my lesson.
Old 01-08-2018, 12:38 PM   #162
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronStinky View Post
I recently bought an Antelope Orion Studio. Incredible I/O, sounds great. It has a bunch of FPGA plugins that emulate old hardware, but I haven't even tried em as I have too many plugins already. Honestly, it's incredible how much they packed into this thing.

But. The fnarking stability/drivers. I am a professional, small-ass-time engineer. My budget is razor thin, I do location recording in bars and weird places, and I have zero time for funny businesses. Been on the horn with tech support too many times, and they have a windows 10 style "let's push firmware updates constantly and automatically" ethos.

Still having sync issues with my non-mobile daw. Ableton hates it. Reaper... deals better.

Will be selling. It sounds amazing, but really this is an expensive hobbyist's toy, not a pro piece of kit. Will be either going back to Motu or trying out RME. I've owned 5 interfaces in the last 10 years, and never had hassles like this before - except with an Orion32. Heh. Didn't learn my lesson.
I have read about problems on Gearslutz. Luckily my Zen Studio+ hasn't had a hitch (touch wood).

Maybe it's more stable on Mac...

Before you sell it you should try the FPGA effects. They weren't a selling point for me, and I didn't expect to like them, but damn, they sound really good. Some of the best top-end EQ I've ever heard from code. Pain in the arse to have to record the channel output to print it, but I believe a VST wrapper kind of thing is in the works at Antelope.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 12:45 PM   #163
BaronStinky

Yea, it does seem like some folks have it worse. For what it's worth, I've had fewer issues on my Mac (mobile rig). Honestly though, the most amazing sounding plugs and preamps mean nothing if I have lock issues 10 minutes before go time for a live record.
Old 01-08-2018, 12:53 PM   #164
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronStinky View Post
Yea, it does seem like some folks have it worse. For what it's worth, I've had fewer issues on my Mac (mobile rig). Honestly though, the most amazing sounding plugs and preamps mean nothing if I have lock issues 10 minutes before go time for a live record.
I agree! That sucks.

BTW, I didn't mean that the effects might change your mind about selling it, just that you might as well check them out before you do.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 02:37 PM   #165
rluka

Just purchased a Focusrite Solo 2nd gen. I do really like it but have a couple of issues: Sometimes the drivers have to be reset in Win 10 because of distorted sound. Its an easy fix..I turn of my Event 20/20 bas monitors...unplug the solo USB and reconnect..no problem

Both volume controls cannot be turned completely off. Even when they are turned down (turn all the way to the left) there still is a signal going into REAPER. It doesnt matter if direct monitor is on or off.
Anyone else have this issue? I guess Im old school...when I turn any gain control to the lowest position, there is no signal going through.
Maybe Im doing something wrong in REAPER!!!

UPDATE: found out how to fix a lot of audio issues in Win10:
https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-...-on-Windows-10

Last edited by rluka; 02-18-2018 at 08:49 AM.
rluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 11:17 PM   #166
Stews

Quote:
Originally Posted by rluka View Post
Just purchased a Focusrite Solo 2nd gen. I do really like it but have a couple of issues: Sometimes the drivers have to be reset in Win 10 because of distorted sound. Its an easy fix..I turn of my Event 20/20 bas monitors...unplug the solo USB and reconnect..no problem

Both volume controls cannot be turned completely off. Even when they are turned down (turn all the way to the left) there still is a signal going into REAPER. It doesnt matter if direct monitor is on or off.
Anyone else have this issue? I guess Im old school...when I turn any gain control to the lowest position, there is no signal going through.
That's normal, the knob controls the preamp gain but the input still works at 0, it just isn't amplified.

On the higher end versions the input can be muted via software but the signal still goes to the daw. Can't see it causing problems though, just don't record or monitor any channels with that input chosen.
Stews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 11:24 PM   #167
scorpius7589

Quote:

I've had bad experiences with scarlett interfaces connected to usb3 ports (and so have others online). My 6i6 is now always connected to usb2 and never had any problems.

Like the previous post said, that's how the gain knob is supposed to work.
scorpius7589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:24 AM   #168
johnss

Many overlook that Win 8.1 64 bit drivers might work in win 10 - f.ex on my internetlaptop Hp Elitebook 8560p, i have win 10 64 bit and it works fine, so check the win 8.1 drivers out if there is any for your interface
johnss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 01:21 PM   #169
rluka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stews View Post
That's normal, the knob controls the preamp gain but the input still works at 0, it just isn't amplified.

On the higher end versions the input can be muted via software but the signal still goes to the daw. Can't see it causing problems though, just don't record or monitor any channels with that input chosen.
I think I know what the problem is. Just cant figure out how to solve it!! Im using a Zoom B3 going into the Scarlet Solo. The balanced "out" (zoom) goes into the balanced "in" (mic input 1 on the Solo) The mono "out" on the Zoom goes into channel 2(instrument) Channel one is used for recording and channel two as a monitor with effects (not being recorded) And somehow there is a loop or one channel leaking into the other (not exactly sure) This works really well (just the leakage is a problem)..Im wondering that maybe there is something wrong with the Zoom B3.

Thanks for your input
Ron L

Last edited by rluka; 02-18-2018 at 08:51 AM.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:57 PM   #170
Stews

Quote:
I think I know what the problem is. Just cant figure out how to solve it!! Im using a Zoom B3 going into the Scarlet Solo. The balanced "out" (zoom) goes into the balanced "in" (mic input 1 on the Solo) The mono "out" on the Zoom goes into channel 2(instrument) Channel one is used for recording and channel two as a monitor with effects (not being recorded) And somehow there is a loop or one channel leaking into the other (not exactly sure) This works really well (just the leakage is a problem)..Im wondering that maybe there is something wrong with the Zoom B3.

Thanks for your input
Ron L
Don't know anything about that unit but if you plug a guitar straight into one of the inputs on the focusrite and nothing into the other, set a track for each to record on reaper then play - you can test if the leakage is at the interface
Old 01-10-2018, 09:28 PM   #171
rluka

Quote:
Don't know anything about that unit but if you plug a guitar straight into one of the inputs on the focusrite and nothing into the other, set a track for each to record on reaper then play - you can test if the leakage is at the interface
Okay, I just went directly into the instrument channel. Armed one mono track in REAPER...choosing channel 2...the instrument channel gain control is off (far left) and I can record a -18db to -12db signal and cant go any lower unless the guitar is turned down.
Seems a bit strange dont you think?

Last edited by rluka; 02-18-2018 at 08:51 AM.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:12 PM   #172
Time Waster

I have a Yamaha Audiogram 3. It's rubbish. I hate it. It's always suffered from dropouts. It only does 16 bit/48kHz max. As I work 98% ITB this is not too much of a problem though. I get around it by using Asio4all and the internal soundcard for AD/DA and just using the knobs on the Audiogram to control the line levels.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:12 PM   #173
Stews

Quote:
Okay, I just went directly into the instrument channel. Armed one mono track in REAPER...choosing channel 2...the instrument channel gain control is off (far left) and I can record a -18db to -12db signal and cant go any lower unless the guitar is turned down.
Seems a bit strange dont you think?
I just tried it there to compare on my Scarlett 6i6 - it's quite a few db quieter than yours even with quite a hot pickup. Not that -18 to -12 is a problem though, it's pretty much perfect levels.

Regarding the problem with your pedal though - what do each of the outputs do? Is one a direct through bypass that you're recording and the other is effected?
Old 01-10-2018, 10:22 PM   #174
Stews

Just had a read at the Zoom B3 manual.

When set up the way you want it, as long as you're only recording channel 1 in Reaper then the recording won't have any FX on it (assuming you're using the pre switch) but you will always hear both the dry bass signal as well as the Zoom FX because on the Scarlett Solo, the direct monitoring is either both channels or neither, there's no way to activate it per-channel.

BTW, I see from the Zoom manual it operates as an audio interface; would it not be easier to use it that way?
Old 01-11-2018, 03:28 AM   #175
Obicere

I have an Edirol FA-66, very tough and it's been switched on for at least eight years. I like it, however it is Firewire.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:43 AM   #176
rluka

Quote:
I just tried it there to compare on my Scarlett 6i6 - it's quite a few db quieter than yours even with quite a hot pickup. Not that -18 to -12 is a problem though, it's pretty much perfect levels.

Regarding the problem with your pedal though - what do each of the outputs do? Is one a direct through bypass that you're recording and the other is effected?
My only issue is this: whats the point of having a gain control if you dont have any control. It cant be turned off so that no signal gets through..it just doesnt make sense to me.

Quote:
Just had a read at the Zoom B3 manual.

When set up the way you want it, as long as you're only recording channel 1 in Reaper then the recording won't have any FX on it (assuming you're using the pre switch) but you will always hear both the dry bass signal as well as the Zoom FX because on the Scarlett Solo, the direct monitoring is either both channels or neither, there's no way to activate it per-channel.

BTW, I see from the Zoom manual it operates as an audio interface; would it not be easier to use it that way?
I did try using the Zoom B3 but I just like the simplicity of the Solo plus it has a mic input. My zoom is also the older model (not sure if that will make a difference) Also, I record in 24bit my zoom records in 16bit

Thanks for all your input...I will work it out
Ron L

Last edited by rluka; 02-18-2018 at 08:52 AM.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:00 AM   #177
bitterkitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkeW View Post
RME Fireface 400.

I "hate" it because the external power adapter crapped out after 10 years... And firewire requires a separate card on my new Ryzen build.
Sometimes doesn't load my settings (like samplerate and buffer size) correctly on boot.

I love it.
Me too. I feel like I am jinxing it, but whatever. I wish it had a power button, and I wish that the breakout midi connectors were not breakout midi connectors (though I suppose that would have increased the price). I bought mine used! like 6 years ago? and it is still kicking all the ass.

Drivers are super solid, there's a crapton of routing features I will never use, works in win 10, always sounds great.

viva RME!!
Old 01-11-2018, 02:37 PM   #178
Philbo King

I've had this Behringer X1204USB mixer around for a while, which has a 2 chan USB I/O on board. I used to use it as a cheap FX box alongside my real mixer for live work, and it worked OK for that. I'd never plugged it in to the PC till last night.

Wow, what a POS!! It runs through Win drivers (WASABI or whatever), but the performance is really bad. It is 16 bit only, at 44.1 or 48K. The noise floor on the input side is -43 dBFS with all the signal removed and faders down.

Yikes!! I'd be better off with a Soundblaster...

I was trying it out to see if a friend could use it; his TASCAM rackmount interface went belly up and I thought he might be able to do a little work with this thing instead. But sometimes it's better not to even start a job if all you have are crap tools.

This isn't my main interface (I have a Presonus Audiobox 1820 for that, with an ADA8200 added via TOSLINK for 8 more channels).
Philbo King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 05:43 PM   #179
Stews

Quote:
My only issue is this: whats the point of having a gain control if you dont have any control. It cant be turned off so that no signal gets through..it just doesnt make sense to me.
If your source isn't loud enough you can boost it.

On the fuller models of Scarletts, the instrument input isn't separate like that, it's combined with mic inputs so obviously has the gain control.

It seems on the Solo version they're indicating it's used for guitar or bass only. They could have omitted the gain control but what if someone wants to record a quiet source that needs boosting? It definitely doesn't cause any harm being there even if you don't need it.

Quote:
I did try using the Zoom B3 but I just like the simplicity of the Solo plus it has a mic input. My zoom is also the older model (not sure if that will make a difference) Also, I record in 24bit my zoom records in 16bit

Thanks for all your input...I will work it out
Ron L
Is the problem you're having that when you record using the method you described, there is some of the Zoom effects on the recorded track even though it should be dry?
Old 01-13-2018, 08:54 AM   #180
DarrenH

A Mackie 1202 VLZ3 into a Midiman Delta 44. I patch out of the insert outs on the Mackie preamps (ie: plug inserted half-way in) to skip most of the preamp circuitry. It's always sounded pretty good to me.
DarrenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:19 AM   #181
karbomusic

Quote:
It's in the name, it's a "gain" control as in "to add to", if you add zero gain, you are left with the original signal - many don't even go as low as zero due to how they amplify (see non-inverting opamp amplifier) - they don't attenuate. Additional circuitry could be potentially added so that it does attenuate but that isn't it's job, it involves more circuitry and any caveats that come with doing so. Attenuation for hot signals is usually dealt with using a static reduction called a pad control.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:23 AM   #182
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenH View Post
A Mackie 1202 VLZ3 into a Midiman Delta 44. I patch out of the insert outs on the Mackie preamps (ie: plug inserted half-way in) to skip most of the preamp circuitry. It's always sounded pretty good to me.
Avoids everything but the preamp and is a useful way to use a preamp in a board like that and bypass everything else. Since it uses the insert for the channel, it was really handy in the analog tape days to be able to send an untouched, preamped only signal to your 4-track (for example), then when it played back, it came back in on the return side of that insert so you could use the remaining circuitry (eq and routing) to the signal coming from the tape.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:51 AM   #183
Merkury

Why should I hate my audio interface
I've got a MOTU Microbook I, which I REALLY like .A bit outdated,
will buy Microbook II when I can afford it.

It's excellent.
Merkury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:01 AM   #184
serr

If you have a MOTU, this thread doesn't apply to you.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:04 PM   #185
Merkury

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
If you have a MOTU, this thread doesn't apply to you.
well, I see you own TWO MOTUs !
Merkury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 03:10 PM   #186
rluka

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
It's in the name, it's a "gain" control as in "to add to", if you add zero gain, you are left with the original signal - many don't even go as low as zero due to how they amplify (see non-inverting opamp amplifier) - they don't attenuate. Additional circuitry could be potentially added so that it does attenuate but that isn't it's job, it involves more circuitry and any caveats that come with doing so. Attenuation for hot signals is usually dealt with using a static reduction called a pad control.
karbomusic: Thanks for clearing this up..I always understood this but it makes no sense to me. And just to be clear...I am not picking on the quality of the Focusrite Scarett Solo. It is an excellent audio interface. The older Edirol Ua-25 that was used also did the same thing...the only difference was that the initial gain wasnt as high. Just responding to the thread title and I dont hate the audio interface. Other than the 2 points that were brought up, this is an excellent little audio interface.

Last edited by rluka; 02-18-2018 at 08:52 AM.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:54 PM   #187
g4greg

I have a sapphire 6 in my closet, and the only reason I hate it is because it doesnt play nice with newer intel chipsets. I bought a new laptop last year, and it just hates my sappire. sigh..... And its preamps are... OK

I now have an audient ID4.. it's rock solid and has very low latency, so I'm very happy with it.

But what really sold me on this unit are the preamps and converters. Holy mac is this ever night and day when you compare side by side with a sapphire.
Old 01-21-2018, 04:49 PM   #188
Cableaddict

Lynx Aurora w/ PCIe card.

And I DON'T hate it. It's lovely.

- but I do look at it kinda' sideways when I remember my old, beloved Apogee converters. Oh my...
Cableaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 02:44 PM   #189
lolilol1975

Right, so I just received a TASCAM AH-7000 and this is a beast !

High quality 2 in (2 jack or XLR with phantom power, 2 out (XLR) and 2 in/out AES/EBU (XLR) + headphones.

With the Tascam driver, the latency is decent without being exceptional, Reaper reports ~1/8.9ms at 24/96kHz 64spls and 2/11ms at 48kHz 256spls.

However ASIO4all gives much better results:
11/11ms @ 24/48 512 samples/sec
~3.0/3.0ms @ 24/96 256 samples/sec
~5.6/5.6ms @ 24/96 512 samples/sec
3.0/3.0ms @ 24/96 256 samples/sec
~1/1ms @ 24/96 64 samples/sec

Now we're talking !

It also has some severe limitations, like the fact that only one effect can be used at a time.

But the sound !!! I haven't tested the inputs yet but they are known to be extremely good. Suffice to say that the output straight to my Focal monitors, I've gained in clarity but most of all in bass. It goes deeper , with more power and control in the low end than the tc electronic BMC-2 that it replaces. It is particularly obvious with the synths.

I can't wait to hook my guitar on this beast to hear what the preamps give me. Meanwhile, here is a review of this interface.

edit: so I did a few tests with my acoustic guitar and I can say there is zero noise, and the sound I get is pretty much the sound of the guitar itself.

Things I don't like:
- no separate volume control for the headphones (!)
- no graduation on the knobs
- only 2 recording channels
- only one hardware FX possible at a time at 96 kHz or more
- the mixer software could be a lot better looking, if some graphists of the forum did the graphics
- all the plugs but the headphone are at the back of the unit
- the hefty price (but everyone says it's a bargain for the quality you get)

Things I like:
- sturdy, high quality unit
- driver seems stable, decent latency esp. with ASIO4all
- a number of options you don't get in entry level cards (AES/EBU output, XLR balanced line outs)
- the sound* !

* according to posts on Gearslutz forums, it's better than an audient id22

Last edited by lolilol1975; 02-12-2018 at 01:29 PM.
lolilol1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 03:30 PM   #190
cyrano

I've had plenty of interfaces. Hated only one: a Creative Audigy. Worked very well, seemingly. Until you tried to use it for longer than half an hour. But that's twenty years ago.

These days, it's RME. Used to hate RME when I had to use one. Three different apps for one interface?

Now that I own an RME, I put in some RTFM time. Couldn't do without it. Everything else looks like a toy now.

And the strongest part isn't even their hardware. It's their drivers. Even their oldest hardware runs on today's drivers. I don't know any other brand that's even remotely comparable.
Old 02-07-2018, 05:45 PM   #191
ivansc

Agreed! I have microsoft associated hardware that has had a far shorter duty cycle life than my elderly HDSP9652 pci interface in the studio machine! Bought it used, too.
Old 02-07-2018, 06:06 PM   #192
camerondye

Old ass RME FF800 and I hate that it makes everything else look faulty because it is infallible. 3 different computers and never an issue...never called support ever. UAD cards are great but I've call them every other year or so with an issue...same with Waves until I blew them off because they just won't support Reaper.

The preamps on the FF800 are weak, they don't have noise but they are thin sounding and Presonus and Mackie both have better preamps IMO. Luckily I only use them on HiHat or Snare bottom honestly. Luckily I have a lot of outboard preamps that crush. I hope on the updated RME stuff they've done better with the preamps but I just don't have a lot of reasons to upgrade yet.
camerondye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 04:28 PM   #193
Gerry G

Default MOTU 8 Pre MOTU Traveler and RME FIreface UFX

I love the MOTU gear but I must admit it is a challenge getting the drivers working properly in Windoze.

The Traveler is very beautiful and low latency once it is going but I accidentally torched the FW card. Not to worry as I can run it through the 8Pre or the UFX by connecting by light-pipe or even use the analogue outs if I ever need to.

I have not had a moments trouble with the pres on RME or MOTU gear but then I love tweaking to get the most out of gear within its limitations. I do think that a lot of the fun of music is working your sound around what you have. Even crappy old PAs have a certain charm. In that context RME gear is just so transparent that it almost lacks a challenge. That is not to say it is perfect. It just works..... really well. I was looking at good stage mixers to operate by wire and so I could walk about a venue checking sound spots. Then I realised the UFX would do it all with the ARC USB. The newer models do this stand alone but what the heck. You often need a laptop there anyway.

If some of the junkie ice fiends in the dens of iniquity we play in knew how much I treasure my gear (and want to make passionate love to it) then they would probably hold it hostage until I paid the ransom of an emperor for its return. Nothing has ever been filched though. Astounding, or maybe the gear angels look after us.

Last edited by Gerry G; 04-27-2018 at 05:35 PM.
Gerry G is offline   Reply With Quote