Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 01-05-2018, 01:56 PM   #1
Edgemeal
Human being with feelings

Default v5.71pre8 - January 5 2018

v5.71pre8 - January 5 2018
+ Grid: add option to divide arrange view vertically every N measures
+ MIDI editor: fix CC lane drawing issues with looped items
+ MIDI: improve item peaks display
+ MIDI: improve pixel accuracy for MIDI peaks in the arrange view [t=201105]
+ MIDI: treat type 0 files with meta-events as multichannel files on import; if configured, prompt to import meta-events and channel MIDI as separate tracks [t=201510]
+ Mouse modifiers: add modifier to toggle MIDI note selection and set time selection to selected notes
+ Mouse modifiers: add modifier to toggle media item selection and set time selection to selected items
# MIDI: fix peaks view when automatic scaling is disabled [p=1934859]
# Sends: fix channel count increasing on sending track instead of receiving track [p=1935792]

Full changelog - Latest pre-releases
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 02:01 PM   #2
ivansc

Thanks for the MIDI tidying up!
Old 01-05-2018, 02:08 PM   #3
EvilDragon

Vertical grid for MIDI editor, then?
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 02:10 PM   #4
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemeal View Post
Devs, can you make it so that setting this parameter to 0 (or -1) retains the behaviour from pre7 (zoom dependant)? Would be nice
Old 01-05-2018, 02:15 PM   #5
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Devs, can you make it so that setting this parameter to 0 (or -1) retains the behaviour from pre7 (zoom dependant)? Would be nice
+1. Would be really nice to have zoom dependent as well.
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 02:15 PM   #6
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post

We had a lot of conversation about this and decided that we didn't like the zoom-dependent behavior, because the value of the markings as a navigational aid goes away if the meaning of the marks changes as you zoom.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 02:19 PM   #7
EvilDragon

That will make the vertical shading useless when zoomed out a lot (indeed it actually disappears, which is kinda not nice/not expected). FL Studio for example retains that vertical shading regardless of zoom level...

Does it really hurt if it's just an option served via 0 or -1? Doesn't need a new checkbox or anything...

You don't have to appease me again, but it really was perfect in pre7, IMHO (and at least some other people agree too)...
Old 01-05-2018, 02:21 PM   #8
Edgemeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Thanks for the MIDI tidying up!
+ CC event data when height permits, pretty neat!
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 02:22 PM   #9
schwa
Administrator

I think this:

is more informational than this:

schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 02:24 PM   #10
EvilDragon

I guess so, but that's because in your second example you're not following the main barlines (the long ones), which is how it was in pre7... So it's different from what I propose to happen when 0/-1 is entered. 0/-1 would follow just the long barlines, not small ones (in my suggestion), as it were previously.

EDIT: I don't feel about this feature it should just show what 1 or 2 or x measures is, vertical shading that is zoom dependant helps follow the timeline more easily (IMHO) and locate stuff faster. At least that was my experience with pre7/pre6 vertical shading...

Last edited by EvilDragon; 01-05-2018 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-05-2018, 02:37 PM   #11
deeb

i love you all! fantastic !
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 02:43 PM   #12
Arthur McArthur

The new midi look is great, much clearer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
We had a lot of conversation about this and decided that we didn't like the zoom-dependent behavior, because the value of the markings as a navigational aid goes away if the meaning of the marks changes as you zoom.
The benefit of zoom-dependent behavior becomes apparent when doing editing of really small items in arrange/midi (say, 1/128th note drum rolls over the course of a bar.) When I'm zoomed in that close, I don't need to know where the measures are: I need to know where the quarter notes are. It's useful for doing anything intricate
Arthur McArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 02:49 PM   #13
vitalker

Quote:
Awesome, but agree with ED: zoom-dependent dividing with following the main barlines would be bloody cool!
Quote:
+ MIDI: improve item peaks display
+ MIDI: improve pixel accuracy for MIDI peaks in the arrange view [t=201105]
Perfect!
Quote:
+ Mouse modifiers: add modifier to toggle MIDI note selection and set time selection to selected notes
+ Mouse modifiers: add modifier to toggle media item selection and set time selection to selected items
Wonderful! It works absolutely incredibly!
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 02:56 PM   #14
Luster

Quote:
Good point, very true - now this feature gives you an additional clue how deep you are in a project. Thanks for that. This works quite good I have just one nitpick for people who sometimes edit video: please make it a project changeable setting because on frame based grid (post production) it looks just weird but most of the time (music production) I would use it.

Last edited by Luster; 01-05-2018 at 03:03 PM. Reason: more words
Luster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 03:15 PM   #15
Sexan

I like this new grid better, but thats just me
Sexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 03:31 PM   #16
EvilDragon

An option wouldn't hurt, especially since it doesn't take an additional checkbox or whatever by using 0 or -1 in that field
Old 01-05-2018, 03:32 PM   #17
vanhaze

It's not just you Sexan : me like it alot ; Cockos you Rock !!
Old 01-05-2018, 03:38 PM   #18
vanhaze

Sorry to have not tested this with previous (pre)versions but i just noticed this:

- In MIDI Editor, I have set View: Toggle show note names to ON, meaning: note names are showed.

When i save the respective project as a Reaper template project and i open this template next time, i see that in MIDI Editor the note names are OFF, when inserting
notes in ME.

Expected behaviour would be that note names ON setting would be remembered in the saved project.

Is this maybe by design or o possible bug ?
Can anyone (OSX user) confirm this behaviour ?

Reaper OSX 5.71pre8-64bit
OSX 10.13.2
Old 01-05-2018, 03:40 PM   #19
hopi

is there some way to change the setting for the new grid by measures vertically from just one measure to some other number of measures?

say you wanted that not every measure but every 4 or 8 or 12 or 16???
Old 01-05-2018, 03:42 PM   #20
vanhaze

Preferences > Appearance.

Look there, at the most lower setting.
"Divide arrange view vertically every x measures"
Old 01-05-2018, 03:46 PM   #21
musicbynumbers

Quote:
I haven't tried it yet but I love how zoom dependent lines use to work and would hate to see it go but maybe I'm misunderstanding.. I'll give it a go asap
Old 01-05-2018, 03:51 PM   #22
Luster

Quote:
We had a lot of conversation about this...
Is there any chance that we get the different shading for odd and even tracks additionally to the vertical shading? At least the Track divider line for even and odd tracks shouldn't work vertical when the option in preferences is ticked.
Old 01-05-2018, 03:56 PM   #23
vanhaze

Is there any chance that we get the different shading for odd and even tracks additionally to the vertical shading?

Yeah ! I do miss that right now, would be excellent to have it back.
Old 01-05-2018, 04:12 PM   #24
juliansader

Quote:
+ MIDI: treat type 0 files with meta-events as multichannel files on import; if configured, prompt to import meta-events and channel MIDI as separate tracks[p=1935792
Notation events for specific notes carry channel information, and I think they should be assigned to the same track as their notes, otherwise the notes lose their notation.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 04:44 PM   #25
heda

the new MIDI peaks are looking great. but why velocity lines are not starting from the bottom of the item? It seems there is like a margin.

the new vertical divide looks great. now I will use it

tip: I've changed the default white color for time selection to a bit color tinted. This allows me to better distinguish the time selection with the new vertical divides. With white, it's a bit confusing.
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 05:00 PM   #26
musicbynumbers

New midi is nice and works well with inline editing.

As for these "new fangled" arrange divisions.

I'm finding it a bit weird as I'm not sure there is a way to have both horizontal and vertical divisions as I'm use to having the track based horizontal ones and now I don't have them.. is it me missing a setting?

Also, you don't seem to be able to update the theme in realtime for these divisions like you can with most other colours. Could that be changed as I have to reload reaper to see the changes.

Think it's a good step overall though...
Old 01-05-2018, 05:03 PM   #27
musicbynumbers

although I guess having both horizontal and vertical could look a bit crazy..
Old 01-05-2018, 05:07 PM   #28
musicbynumbers

ok.. it does work to change it in real time but not how expected.. will keep experimenting
Old 01-05-2018, 05:22 PM   #29
heda

this line at the left edge of the item in the velocity lane.. doesn't seem right as I scroll?
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 06:40 PM   #30
pcartwright

Quote:
I think this:

is more informational than this:

I agree with schwa on this one.**

** I'm a pre-release lurker and rarely test (except for reporting the occasional regression issue or maybe explicitly testing *cough* notation articulation mapping *cough*), so take my opinion with a grain of salt.
pcartwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 07:36 PM   #31
Commala

Regarding the zoom dependent shading:

I strongly agree with ED and others that the shading should be zoom dependent. The reason for this is the same as why the grid lines themselves are zoom dependent. If the shading is not made zoom dependent, then at particular zooms I would argue that it loses informational value because the eye begins to read it as a uniform texture rather than blocks that can be visually parsed to show larger structures. Zoomed out far enough, as we can see the shading is lost completely.

While I agree that zoom-independence can be more visually stable and less disorienting, I think that some of the points presented to support that route are based on how the feature looks in isolation, and not in context. In a working use-case, the project will be full of media items, which will provide the user the needed visual references to anchor the sense of location and scale in the project.

The grid shading is most useful if it can be used to make sense of structures and patterns in time at more than one level, just like the grid lines and the timeline measure labels. In fact, I think for most cases the grid shading simply matching the primary gridline label visibility would be a good implementation as far as zoom dependence (as ED said). Currently the gridline labels change from every measure, to every other measure, to every four measures, then to every eight, sixteen, thirty-two, sixty-four and so on. People have never found the way that the gridline labels change to be disorienting.

Edit: to further add to the discussion, I don't think that the even/odd track number shading was ever very useful. Think about what information it's actually conveying... couldn't you deduce whether a track is even or odd by looking at the number? If you hide a track, then you can tell a track is hidden by whether the background does not alternate in places, but this is only true if you just hide one track, or three etc. If you hide two tracks or any other even number of adjacent tracks, then again the patterning looks the same as if you had not, and you are again relying on the track numbers to see whether there are hidden tracks. I've never found it to be necessary at all personally and I would also argue having gridline shading and track even/odd shading simultaneously would be too much altogether.

Last edited by Commala; 01-05-2018 at 07:46 PM.
Commala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 07:44 PM   #32
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexan View Post
I like this new grid better, but thats just me
+1, thanks for the 'every N measures' option
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:05 PM   #33
djjedidiah

This would be perfect if it also selected all the other items in the time selection.
djjedidiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:24 PM   #34
jrengmusic

toolbar resize handle scaling on HiDPI/Retina themes

Default 5.0

Default 5.0_hidpi @2x scale
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2018-01-06 at 11.22.45.png (6.5 KB, 1019 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2018-01-06 at 11.22.54.png (7.3 KB, 1036 views)
Old 01-06-2018, 12:23 AM   #35
fundorin
Banned

Is it possible to add dotted lines for regions/markers, the same way, as for grid lines, so they won't be displayed so obviously?

fundorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 01:16 AM   #36
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commala View Post
Regarding the zoom dependent shading:

I strongly agree with ED and others that the shading should be zoom dependent. The reason for this is the same as why the grid lines themselves are zoom dependent. If the shading is not made zoom dependent, then at particular zooms I would argue that it loses informational value because the eye begins to read it as a uniform texture rather than blocks that can be visually parsed to show larger structures. Zoomed out far enough, as we can see the shading is lost completely.

While I agree that zoom-independence can be more visually stable and less disorienting, I think that some of the points presented to support that route are based on how the feature looks in isolation, and not in context. In a working use-case, the project will be full of media items, which will provide the user the needed visual references to anchor the sense of location and scale in the project.

The grid shading is most useful if it can be used to make sense of structures and patterns in time at more than one level, just like the grid lines and the timeline measure labels. In fact, I think for most cases the grid shading simply matching the primary gridline label visibility would be a good implementation as far as zoom dependence (as ED said). Currently the gridline labels change from every measure, to every other measure, to every four measures, then to every eight, sixteen, thirty-two, sixty-four and so on. People have never found the way that the gridline labels change to be disorienting.

Edit: to further add to the discussion, I don't think that the even/odd track number shading was ever very useful. Think about what information it's actually conveying... couldn't you deduce whether a track is even or odd by looking at the number? If you hide a track, then you can tell a track is hidden by whether the background does not alternate in places, but this is only true if you just hide one track, or three etc. If you hide two tracks or any other even number of adjacent tracks, then again the patterning looks the same as if you had not, and you are again relying on the track numbers to see whether there are hidden tracks. I've never found it to be necessary at all personally and I would also argue having gridline shading and track even/odd shading simultaneously would be too much altogether.

Thanks, Commala! You're expressing it better than I could! Hopefully pre9 will have that 0/-1 option for zoom-dependant shading
Old 01-06-2018, 01:30 AM   #37
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
although I guess having both horizontal and vertical could look a bit crazy..
No. Why? These colours just should be different. Example:
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 01:57 AM   #38
Luster

Regarding the zoom dependent vertical shading again:
How it was implemented in the pre before it was very nervous for sure, it switched every second zoom step. Now that it's fixed I realized that it may not need that much different "levels" when zoom dependent. That would counter the argument that it's confusing.
Again I want to raise the idea that when zoom dependent vertical shading is still a thing we see again, could it be not only a change in the count of measures shaded but also a change in intensity of shading (more zooming in leads to darker shading e.g.)?
I believe something like 3 levels of different N measures shading should do it.

Last edited by Luster; 01-06-2018 at 02:00 AM. Reason: typo and wording
Old 01-06-2018, 01:59 AM   #39
strachupl

strange...

In my opinion option vertical and horizontal aid combined would be great.
I agree with EvilDragon, I am after idea to zoom dependent option.

So for me it should be like:
1 2 3 4 ; 9 13 17 21 ; 1 33 65 97 ...etc...

strachupl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 02:03 AM   #40
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luster View Post
Regarding the zoom dependent vertical shading again:
How it was implemented in the pre before it was very nervous for sure, it switched every second zoom step. Now that it's fixed I realized that it may not need that much different "levels" when zoom dependent. That would counter the argument that it's confusing.
Pre7 was perfect for me. I can see how it would be nervous for some, and for them having the fixed measures option probably makes more sense. For zoom-dependant, it only makes sense to follow the big, long barlines for this. Anything else and it's missing the point (why switch shading on a bar which is NOT shown with a number and the big barline on the ruler? To me that is not logical at all).

Having multiple levels of shading would be crazy.

Last edited by EvilDragon; 01-06-2018 at 02:22 AM.