Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 12-27-2017, 11:13 AM   #1
PNorth70
Human being with feelings

Default Can't get Separate Track Inputs w/ Focusrite

I'm having a problem recording 2 independent tracks simultaneously, and appreciate any thoughts on this.

I'm using a Focusrite 2i2 that is working fine with other software. I have a Windows 7 PC, and Reaper 5.70 64. I have a stereo signal going into the 2i2, and need to record the left and right channels on tracks 1 and 2. I should be able to do this by selecting input 1 on track 1, and input 2 on track 2. In fact I can do this in other software (Audition), but Reaper does not offer me this selection. The result is that I can only get identical merged mono signals on both tracks.
I've reviewed the manual, and believe I have the 2i2 set up correctly. (Also talked to Focusrite, and they agreed.) I'm not seeing the correct drop down menu for the input selection. (I have screenshots, but system wouldn't allow me to upload attachments.)

I have only 4 theories here: (a) I've made an error setting it up that isn't apparent to me, (b) Reaper 5.70 doesn't work with Win7, (c) my download of that version is corrupt, or (d) 5.70 has a bug. (a) would be the best news, and (b) would be the worst (since I have no plans or need to upgrade Windows).
PNorth70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 11:17 AM   #2
Stella645

You've almost certainly made an error that isn't apparent to you.

Upload your screencaps to imgur or similar and post a link.
Could you show Reaper prefs audio device page and what it is that you do see in the track drop down for input selection.
Stella645 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 11:22 AM   #3
DarkStar

Hello PNorth70 and welcome to these forums. You'll find many helpful people here and a lot of useful information. Make sure that you:
I would go for (a) too. You should be able to select each individual channel; click the input device name in the Track Control Panel (TCP) for the menu choices. Here are two tracks for Left and Right and a third showing the menu (using a modified Konzentration theme):

Old 12-27-2017, 10:16 PM   #4
PNorth70

Default Screenshots posted

Ok, so option (a) is leading in the polls... But what would the error be?? Here's a link to screenshots. Thanks for your time and thoughts!

https://imgur.com/a/JZdX0

P.S. I have watched the videos, etc. They're good.
Attached Images
File Type: png reaper screenshot 12-22-17.png (25.4 KB, 151 views)
Old 12-28-2017, 03:18 AM   #5
Stella645

https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php#iLC1HjLXLd0

At 00:37 pay close attention to where in the TCP they are clicking to select the input menu.
Stella645 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 04:20 AM   #6
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNorth70 View Post
Ok, so option (a) is leading in the polls... But what would the error be?? Here's a link to screenshots. Thanks for your time and thoughts!

https://imgur.com/a/JZdX0

P.S. I have watched the videos, etc. They're good.
As Stella645 indicates above, there are two different input menus:
- One on the left side of the Input Monitoring button with the speaker icon (which is the one shown in your screenshot)
- And the other one (depending on the current size of the Track Panel) either on the right side of the 'speaker button'. Or in the second row.

So either drag the Track Panel bigger to see all buttons and input boxes, if necessary.
Or do a right-click on the Track Record Arm Button to access the options this way.

Last edited by solger; 12-28-2017 at 04:31 AM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 01:41 PM   #7
PNorth70

Default Reply

Yep, it's the two different input menus -- and the fact that the important one didn't show up on the screen unless/until I manually changed the track height -- that caused the confusion. Thanks for your help in deciphering this.
Old 12-30-2017, 09:47 AM   #8
DarkStar

Good Oh

It's probably been years since us users ran into that problem; we therefore forget to advise people to increase the track height so that the third row of controls can be seen. IMO, it's a bug in the v5 Default theme.