Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 05-07-2017, 09:46 AM   #1
frusciante54
Human being with feelings

Default How to separate each drum track for a drum VST?

Hi.The people I've seen who use virtual drums, they have different tracks for each drum. Like this :

-(VST name)
-Kick
-Snare
-Toms
-Hi hat

etc...

I'm using MTPower drum kit. When I add it, it asks whether or not I want to add 8 different tracks. I say yes but it only creates empty tracks. And I don't know how to make them link to those individual drum tracks.

Here's the pop up when I add the VST : https://i.hizliresim.com/5gOVRz.png

Here are the empty tracks when I say yes : https://i.hizliresim.com/vbB4Q4.png

I guess it's important because different tracks will need different kinds of eq, compression etc. Am I correct?
And I guess you don't have to be using this particular VST to tell me how it's done because I'm guessing for every VST it's going to be similar.
Thank you in advance.
frusciante54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 11:11 AM   #2
slipstick

MT Power Drum needs the routing set up for it. Go into the MT Drum mixer and change the individual drums (all set now to Out1) so they output to Out2, Out3, Out4 etc. Then the drum sounds will appear on the "empty" tracks, one per track.

Some drum VSTs are better at organising that themselves but MT Power is not bad for the price.

Steve
slipstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 03:42 PM   #3
cretaceous

They are empty to start but if you play drums into it via hitting pads or keys, all the midi is in the first parent track.

Reaper should do it all automatically - no need to assign anything after it adds the 8 (or how many) tracks.
The one you are using may not do that - but all the drum VSTs I've tried (freebies) all work automatically - though it does get easier with practise.

I guess it's designed like this so you can edit placement of all hits in one midi track, but you output each part of the kit individually.
cretaceous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 01:03 AM   #4
somebodyelseuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstick View Post
MT Power Drum needs the routing set up for it. Go into the MT Drum mixer and change the individual drums (all set now to Out1) so they output to Out2, Out3, Out4 etc. Then the drum sounds will appear on the "empty" tracks, one per track.
... and then save it as a track template.