Old 08-18-2017, 01:54 PM   #41
Greenerpastures
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Back in my day, the early 70s, there really was no such thing as mastering as it is today. You did have the mastering that took your master and made a metal disk for pressing, but all record manufacturing companies had there own staff/division to do that.

I worked a lot with Capital Records in those days, and they did call and ask if it was all right to do a little EQing to cut down the sibilants associated with the "s" and "t", the primary culprit. They were a special problem when making vinyl, and after their first call I did the best I could to avoid that.

In those days we started mixing with the first tracks we recorded. I always tried to have somewhat of a mix ready when the band came in the control room to hear their takes. Of course in those days I EQed and processed things as they went down on tape, at least to a degree.
Hi

From there on, there were nearly always lot's of overdubs, and I continued to mix "and master" as I went. In reality I was actually just mixing the master, I never gave mastering a thought.

Mastering, in a semblance as it exists today, did come along in the later 70s, but I think they were for the bigger recording outfits. I know I never gave them a thought, when I finished mixing, the master was done, and it's always been that way. Even today, I'm doing the same thing, only I not only have so much more control, I have so much more to work with. Heh heh, you younger folks don't realize what you have at your beck and call.

I'm not saying folks should not have their mixes mastered today, it seems to be part of the protocol, and in fact if I had a mastering person that I could trust and they didn't charge an arm an a leg, I might give it a try too, if for no other reason, but to see what a difference it might make.
Hi Tod
Nice to hear how it used to be done, and how you still do it.
I read about such, but not that the likes of yourself are still
doing it this way.
Of course to me it makes sense to be able to have that control for the longest possible moment
But I do see most people have adapted and split the tasks into the two fold approach,
of mixing, then using what are more specific tools to complete the mastering.

I think everyone has of should approach this as they choose,
budget will play a part, as will work=flow and time frame.

We can take the road that suits us each as individuals,
with the end result all that matters,
knowing we will only ever get out what we put in.

Good though to have the computer and software to enable us
regardless of how we get there.
Greenerpastures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 02:03 PM   #42
Jimmy James

What is Mastering?

Mastering is a lot of things. If Mastering a album. It is taking all the songs (completed mixes) and making every song sound the same EQ wise. You never want the listener to want to reach for the eq from song to song.
It is setting the amount of space in between songs. Setting the fade in and fade out. Making sure that all the songs are the same volume.

Best of all, Mastering is deciding if you want to have amazing dynamics, and your song drop out at a party when put in a mix with other albums.
Or, if you want to have ZERO headroom and play volume war and wrecking all the hard work you did during mixing.

Mixing is not mastering! You should be able to Master your album from the songs and not multi track. Some folks like to use stem tracks as well. But........... if you "need" stem tracks, you might "need" to rest your ears for a week. And check your mix again.
Check your stuff in Mono first before you start to Master!!!!!!!

Also, pay to have a Master done. If you can't afford it. Try and get 3 songs mastered. This way you can see what is done. And hear what a pro mastering studio does.
Jimmy James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 02:54 PM   #43
Greenerpastures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy James View Post
What is Mastering?

Mastering is a lot of things. If Mastering a album. It is taking all the songs (completed mixes) and making every song sound the same EQ wise. You never want the listener to want to reach for the eq from song to song.
It is setting the amount of space in between songs. Setting the fade in and fade out. Making sure that all the songs are the same volume.

Best of all, Mastering is deciding if you want to have amazing dynamics, and your song drop out at a party when put in a mix with other albums.
Or, if you want to have ZERO headroom and play volume war and wrecking all the hard work you did during mixing.

Mixing is not mastering! You should be able to Master your album from the songs and not multi track. Some folks like to use stem tracks as well. But........... if you "need" stem tracks, you might "need" to rest your ears for a week. And check your mix again.
Check your stuff in Mono first before you start to Master!!!!!!!

Also, pay to have a Master done. If you can't afford it. Try and get 3 songs mastered. This way you can see what is done. And hear what a pro mastering studio does.
Hi Jimmy James

A lot of good pointers there, and of course a pro will have
the skills to do the best job of mastering.
Greenerpastures is offline   Reply With Quote