Old 09-08-2014, 12:33 PM   #1
Jorgen
Human being with feelings

Default Bowie tribute song

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iibl0aq1bd...40908.mp3?dl=0

So I've come up with this music, it fits the text I posted in the lyric writing thread.

But it came out rather short, just around 2.20, so I tried an instrumental solo-part in the middle. I'm not happy with it, so have a go, fine stick-composers... any reed instruments around? I would SO love an oboe... Or somebody dying to share some cool Bowie vibes, just for fun? As was Garricks intention from the start, in the lounge thread, right?

Anyway, this is a very simple arrangement for three instruments: drums, electric bass, and electric piano, all from Kontakt 4 free player.

Missing is my front with acoustic and vox on a single track. (Sure would love to hear anyone else sing it.)

And some vibey moog-dreaming, sound effects and such... I liked the sound of Olga, especially the strings... I want to buy it, use it, but probably wont dig to deep, I love good synth-players but can't possible be one myself...

I thought the song was finished, the words had told a story and everything... but 2.20 just seemed short, all with that metaphysics and stuff. Needs more music. Anyone?
Jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 12:45 PM   #2
Cosmic

I am DIGGING this!

I don't mean to be rude here..but I really love the way its so artificial sounding..its like subverted telephone hold music..if ye get me.I don't think its too short.Its economical.

I would love a go at singing it..no offence if you decline

Theres serious room for vocal harmonies

Second listen....I don't think it needs anymore instrumentation ..just my opinion.Its a really lovely tune..well I havent heard the melody..but I can sure as fuck hear a great one in my head

This is stellar work. Edit..into my 5 or 6th spin.Its awesome

Last edited by Cosmic; 09-08-2014 at 12:54 PM.
Cosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 12:59 PM   #3
Cosmic

Still looping.

Its like getting a massage for my ears

Its actually too short..I've had it for 15 mins now and its only getting better.

I don't really know how I'd extend it..not a guitar solo anyway.Maybe make the bridge twice as long and bring in a massive pad with loads of reverb for the second half...let it swell right up and then shrink right back for the verse.

Last edited by Cosmic; 09-08-2014 at 01:08 PM.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:09 PM   #4
dea-man

It reminds me more of (somewhat earlier) Pink Floyd, for some reason.

Where are the vocals?
Old 09-08-2014, 01:13 PM   #5
Cosmic

Go double chorus at the end(typical me I know) and on the final one bring in the wall of harmonies that were hinted at near the start

Just where it ends now..drum buildup..big cymbal and a choir of voices.

Telephone music with mad beautiful huge sounding vocal harmonies at the end.Oohs and ahhs and all that stuff!!
Thats a winning formula right there.100% original.

Believe it or not..this is still looping in my headphones.
I feel like my ears are being carressed

Neil Sedaka would be proud to have written this

Last edited by Cosmic; 09-08-2014 at 01:23 PM.
Old 09-08-2014, 02:05 PM   #6
Jorgen

It's all Bach and Hayden, I'm told. There so much I could say about the difference between piano writers and guitar writers I shant even try. :d

Seriously, it's a lift from Lennon's Across the universe. Loved that song, not too crazy at all about Bowie's take. There are some other lifts there, too... can't remember right now. Thank you very much, guys, I never distrusted the mission! After all, the times are eschatological...

Screw that. Pieces always sound good with a falling bass, a great teacher of harmony. Point being piano students pick up on it very fast, having it all laid out... faster than guitarists, I think.

Being a composer, btw, must in some sense mean "lifter" or put-together-person of sorts... it's an art, too, right?

I worked many hours on the words, phrases, grooves...
Old 09-08-2014, 02:14 PM   #7
Cosmic

Yeah..I could never make a tune like that.Just don't have the harmonic chops.Life spent bateing out barre chords will do that do ya.
Old 09-08-2014, 02:20 PM   #8
Timothy Lawler

Interesting and balanced. I like the dissonances in the contrasting middle section. I'll look forward to hearing it with vocals.
Old 09-08-2014, 02:42 PM   #9
Jorgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
I am DIGGING this!

I don't mean to be rude here..but I really love the way its so artificial sounding..its like subverted telephone hold music..if ye get me.I don't think its too short.Its economical.

I would love a go at singing it..no offence if you decline

Theres serious room for vocal harmonies

Second listen....I don't think it needs anymore instrumentation ..just my opinion.Its a really lovely tune..well I havent heard the melody..but I can sure as fuck hear a great one in my head

This is stellar work. Edit..into my 5 or 6th spin.Its awesome
Big kiss. And the artificial thing caught my interest... I'm SO glad you like it. AND it is what I keep telling my friends, Kontakt free is awsome... Yeah, lets set focus on good vocal work, love that...
Old 09-08-2014, 02:45 PM   #10
Jorgen

Knackered... indoors all day, see you.
Old 09-08-2014, 03:23 PM   #11
whiteaxxxe
Banned

now that is interesting ... I think, if I hadnt read the thread-title, I would have heard Bowie (imaginativ) singing to it.

reminds me of Bowie/Lennon's version of Space Oddity - dont know if someone knows this version. its the - like said - hypniótic drums and noe drum-breaks or fills, except for a few times the crash.

very interesting ... the middle eight shocked me. it fits, but it is shocking, in a very, very good way.

for the length ... I hoped to find at the end a modulation to an overhyped hook that could go on forever, like in Hey Jude or Hot Love (T.Rex - I am always unsure, if these things are known by people their age is unknown to me ... ). so all in all 2 minutes the song with the middle eight and then 5 minutes everybody-sings-along-the-fade-out.

ok, at least I would do that ... :-)) but thats only me.

the changes are phantastic. imo the snare could could be harder, deeper, the main instrument so to speak.

ah, yes, the bass: a bass player wouldnt play that in this way I think. you have the same riff 4x played if I remember right. the last half of the 4th time should be a variation.

so, if you would have someone throwing in a Mick Ronson - guitar you are done. :-)))) and call Bowie, maybe he sings it for you. :-) if so, I will buy the single, because I buy anything with Bowie on it. :-)
whiteaxxxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 03:37 PM   #12
barrymk

Stick a vocal on it, I'd love to hear what melody goes across this.
Old 09-09-2014, 12:13 AM   #13
Garrick

Fantastic Jorgen, great this came from that thread, I think it will suit those lyrics perfectly
Garrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 01:35 AM   #14
Jorgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
Yeah..I could never make a tune like that.Just don't have the harmonic chops.Life spent bateing out barre chords will do that do ya.
Well, neither had young David. No music lessons, only intuition.
Old 09-09-2014, 01:50 AM   #15
Jorgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteaxxxe View Post
now that is interesting ... I think, if I hadnt read the thread-title, I would have heard Bowie (imaginativ) singing to it.

reminds me of Bowie/Lennon's version of Space Oddity - dont know if someone knows this version. its the - like said - hypniótic drums and noe drum-breaks or fills, except for a few times the crash.

very interesting ... the middle eight shocked me. it fits, but it is shocking, in a very, very good way.

for the length ... I hoped to find at the end a modulation to an overhyped hook that could go on forever, like in Hey Jude or Hot Love (T.Rex - I am always unsure, if these things are known by people their age is unknown to me ... ). so all in all 2 minutes the song with the middle eight and then 5 minutes everybody-sings-along-the-fade-out.

ok, at least I would do that ... :-)) but thats only me.

the changes are phantastic. imo the snare could could be harder, deeper, the main instrument so to speak.

ah, yes, the bass: a bass player wouldnt play that in this way I think. you have the same riff 4x played if I remember right. the last half of the 4th time should be a variation.

so, if you would have someone throwing in a Mick Ronson - guitar you are done. :-)))) and call Bowie, maybe he sings it for you. :-) if so, I will buy the single, because I buy anything with Bowie on it. :-)
Lovely, thank you pal. Cool you brought up the bass. That was my third and final go, if you'd hear the earlier ones, those are like different songs... I saved that for last. And I was thinking "all right, a bass player must get that, now move on..."

Same with drums. There's why there are no fills... Every note I think is very much, like totally, on the grid. Man, I go public: the grid can swing!

And those fine instruments in Kontakt free are like pre-mixed, all instruments go well, sounds good together right away. Again, thank you man.
Old 09-09-2014, 02:41 AM   #16
whiteaxxxe
Banned

its a myth that drums on the grid dont swing. swing is relative. so if one instrument swings - in your case the Rhodes - and the drums are on the grid - what surely makes them that hypnotic - the whole song is hypnotic and swinging.

there are other examples of songs that work very well this way if for example the guitarist goes nuts - sic!! guitarists do that :-)) - it doesnt work because of the guitarist but because of bass and drums sticking straight to the grid.

so the conclusion grid = bad, off grid = good is false. like always in music: it depends and the one rule that rules ever is: there are no rules, there are hints.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:57 AM   #17
Jorgen

https://www.dropbox.com/s/46bh6hf0f5...vocal.mp3?dl=0

If you ever hold this performance against me, I'll search you out and kill you... way to early to sing for me... no git yet... maybe a Ronson is close? New middle-8.
Old 09-09-2014, 07:18 AM   #18
suleiman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgen View Post
https://www.dropbox.com/s/46bh6hf0f5...vocal.mp3?dl=0

If you ever hold this performance against me, I'll search you out and kill you... way to early to sing for me... no git yet... maybe a Ronson is close? New middle-8.
Wow this is soooo bowie ! Life on mars via 5 years....

I never knew that you could pull off bowie so good..

Salamat
suleiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:07 AM   #19
Jorgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by suleiman View Post
Wow this is soooo bowie ! Life on mars via 5 years....

I never knew that you could pull off bowie so good..
Hahaha, great to hear. Years ago, I knew those songs pretty well, and listening to the Space Oddity album, I believe last summer... a LOT... that gave me kicks that are still popping in me.

Thanks!
Old 09-09-2014, 08:10 AM   #20
whiteaxxxe
Banned

that is sooo 5 Years and Rock-N-Roll Suicide and Life On Mars and Lady Starlight ... I dont believe it!!!!!

that Bowie kicks will never pop out again ... :-)) I can tell you that ...

want to make an album with title like "The Return of Ziggy Stardust"? let me know ... :-))
Old 09-09-2014, 09:51 AM   #21
franV

Nice..
Old 09-09-2014, 12:05 PM   #22
Jorgen

I've put on some acoustics, looking for that typical Ronson groove... yeah, it sucks and everything, but it's the process I like... it could take a week or so... for me. No takers?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e7tbyaxhly...lgits.mp3?dl=0
Old 09-09-2014, 12:22 PM   #23
Garrick

Wow that is so bowie (yes there is an echo here)

That sounds fantastic
Old 09-09-2014, 12:32 PM   #24
whiteaxxxe
Banned

THAT IS GOING TO BE EVEN GETTING BETTER!!!!!! :-)))

this middle eight kills me ... now with that pa-da-da-da-dam ... fucking phantastic!! and this weird choir in the end ... wahoooo!!! :-))) now its gouing more and more LOW and DIAMOND DOGS ... oh, such a sweet thang ...

if you would live in my neighbourhood I would say lets search for a drummer and a bass player and another guitarist, assuming that you do mostly keyboards.

and dont care about the ac guitars ... have you ever heard Bowie himself playing ac guitar? no? ok, dont care, its great, its that original SOUL LOVE and STARMAN groove.

man, what a song!!!

edit: what do you mean by "are there any takers?" you search for a guitarist playing that guitar? or another guitar?
Old 09-09-2014, 01:46 PM   #25
Jorgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteaxxxe View Post

edit: what do you mean by "are there any takers?" you search for a guitarist playing that guitar? or another guitar?
Sure, that was our initial idea. For me, the songwriter, I just layed out the song with basic stuff, the simplest arrangement I could think of, to show the song... collab, remember? It was never intended as an finished "background", just a hint what I expected.

ANY part are up for grabs. From somebody I assume will bring in more music than my programming...

I remember some time ago I asked for re-mixes, electrical style, or how one puts it... Need tracks? I'll put them up separately, if anyone wants it.

Mixers, naturally...

Now, where are the synth-wizards!?

Singers. Male. Female.

Dear Lord, say Cosmic is alive and well, not in chock because of my melody-work... desperately looking for a way out... aahhrrg! But I would understand...
Old 09-09-2014, 01:54 PM   #26
Jorgen

Sorry, but it needs to be said: this is fun, not profit. I'm not cheap, just poor atm. Don't put in a lot of work, or any work at all, if that's expected. Yes, it sucks. Sorry.
Old 09-09-2014, 01:56 PM   #27
dea-man

Man, that is so Bowie?

Very good Bowie vocals. Well done.
Old 09-09-2014, 02:36 PM   #28
Jorgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dea-man View Post
Man, that is so Bowie?

Very good Bowie vocals. Well done.
Hey dea-man, I think I'm a natural mimic... anyways, I always practised/rehearsed stuff that I deem too difficult for me, just to keep it interesting... I believe I still do it. It's fun.
Old 09-09-2014, 02:40 PM   #29
Jorgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrick View Post
Wow that is so bowie (yes there is an echo here)

That sounds fantastic
Thank you, spiritual adviser. This journey... without your lead... impossible, fuck yeah!
Old 09-09-2014, 05:37 PM   #30
morgon

Jorgen,whats the BPM?
morgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 05:43 PM   #31
hamish

OMG! Jorgen IS bowie
hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 05:46 PM   #32
dea-man

It's true!

You never see Bowie and Jorgen, in the same place, at the same time!

Amazing!
Old 09-09-2014, 07:36 PM   #33
Jorgen

Hahahaha! Guys! Now, details: bpm 62, key e flat major, or however you put it... simple form, A-A-B-A-A-A coda.

It's not an eight/sixteen bar thing, instead the "round" actually is ten bars - good to know...
Chords? Ah, come on...

edit - or transpose it down one step and play along in Dmajor... much easier for the folkie without a capo.

Last edited by Jorgen; 09-09-2014 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-09-2014, 07:55 PM   #34
Jorgen

Zeekat, didn't we talk loosely a while ago about something? You bringing anything in, if you got something laying around, something... like a middle eight...? Still not right, imo, wanna have a go? Atmospheric thing...?! No? Yes?

Morgon, you better have a dirty mind, hahaha, Reeves Gabriels plays with a massage dildo at times... probably most for show.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:48 PM   #35
Andy Hamm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgen View Post

I remember some time ago I asked for re-mixes, electrical style, or how one puts it... Need tracks? I'll put them up separately, if anyone wants it.

Mixers, naturally...

Yes, tracks please.
Andy Hamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:24 PM   #36
Jorgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Hamm View Post
Yes, tracks please.
What format? I see no reason for 24 bit, 16 enough?

Totally raw? Or with my eq, comp, chorus etc?
Old 09-10-2014, 12:41 AM   #37
morgon

Well Ive had a go at the 2nd inst part towards the end, didn't really get yet what im aiming for and lets face it, im not as sober as I used to be.

https://app.box.com/s/yz6wg0ipp7jkxunfqdob
morgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 01:59 AM   #38
Garrick

Sober is cheating
Old 09-10-2014, 02:18 AM   #39
Jorgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgon View Post
Well Ive had a go at the 2nd inst part towards the end, didn't really get yet what im aiming for and lets face it, im not as sober as I used to be.

https://app.box.com/s/yz6wg0ipp7jkxunfqdob
Sorry morgon, me and faces... almost missed you Throwing myself at it NOW.

Okay, see what you mean, and it's totally expected/appropriate. Totally accepted by me as good contribution, I gladly have it in my variant (sooner or later you are doomed to sober up)...

I have a lot of wood-shedding to do - sometimes, with new songs, it's almost as I have to learn to play again. And I suck at rock'n'roll. So this will be fun... not sure I pull it of myself.
Old 09-10-2014, 02:20 AM   #40
Jorgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrick View Post
Sober is cheating
Must think about that one. Complicated.