Old 09-16-2015, 06:57 PM   #1
allonym
Human being with feelings

Default Looking for feedback on mix

I've been working on recording and mixing a cover of The Refreshments' song Banditos:

UPDATE: I have uploaded a second revision of the song to Soundcloud. I re-tracked the bass because I wanted it to be a little simpler (more like the original), made it so that the intro is no longer slammed all the way to the left, and did some very small EQ and level tweaks. I also fixed a small timing mistake with the guitars on the second verse (stretch markers FTW!). I think I like this one a little bit better, tell me what you think!

Rev. 2:
https://soundcloud.com/hackmusick/banditos-rev2

Rev. 1:
https://soundcloud.com/hackmusick/banditos

All parts performed or programmed by yours truly; all VSTi apart from the guitar work. My playing skills are probably underwhelming, so there's that, but what I'm really looking for is feedback on how the mix itself is shaping up. I think it's my best effort yet*, but I keep feeling like there's something not quite properly balanced about it. I need the opinion of someone other than the voices in my head

Need to get some vocals in there, but that's still a stumbling block for me recording-wise.

TIA for listening, if you bothered

*there are a few other examples on my soundcloud page if you're curious, and I've posted here once or twice, a long while ago

Last edited by allonym; 09-20-2015 at 05:19 PM.
allonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 01:02 AM   #2
allonym

Bump. I've tried to be patient because I don't want to come across as an attention seeker, but I could really use some critique on this track. I respect the voices in this forum, and I really want to get better at this stuff! Won't anybody please lend an ear (or preferably two, what with stereo and all)?
Old 10-08-2015, 05:02 AM   #3
dnbguy84

Quote:
Originally Posted by allonym View Post
Bump. I've tried to be patient because I don't want to come across as an attention seeker, but I could really use some critique on this track. I respect the voices in this forum, and I really want to get better at this stuff! Won't anybody please lend an ear (or preferably two, what with stereo and all)?
I'm not an audio engineer so my opinion doesn't count, but whatever.

Bass sounds kind of muddy to me, or there's too much of it in the low end.

Maybe a 3db scoop at around 200Hz and a slight boost somewhere above 1Khz to make it brighter? Or chuck an exciter on it somewhere to add some harmonics, I dunno.
dnbguy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 03:04 PM   #4
Bubble07

Quote:

Need to get some vocals in there, but that's still a stumbling block for me recording-wise.

[/i]
I suspect that the vocals carry this song 'cos it's hard to sit through 4 minutes of guitar and VSTi without them.

The guitar is fine but without the vocals there is nothing to really balance the mix against ... and you will struggle to put vocals into a tightly mixed song.

So I would suggest getting over your stumbling block and doing the vocasl or making a decision to replace the vocals with an instrument melody.
Bubble07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 04:00 PM   #5
Dr Bob

Hey,

For me the bass could do with a little more "string" attack which would help define it within the mix. Maybe worth sending it (pre-fx) to another track and maybe recab and eq to get a bit of string "pluck" to mix back in.

Just my first impression. Will listen a bit more to the other elements and get back to you.

HTH,

dB
Dr Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 11:58 PM   #6
allonym

Thanks for the comments, guys!

dnbguy84
I think the muddy bass might be because my listening situation leaves a lot to be desired. Also, I'm just working with a free sampled bass so I take what I can get out of it. I'll try your suggestions tho and see how it comes out

Bubble07
Yeah, the vocals are super important for this song. I've got a cheap mic, a terrible recording space, and just cheap gear all around, and any vocals I record always end up sounding like crap (could be my singing doesn't help too, but I flatter myself that it's mostly the equipment). I'm kinda naff at doing original material though, so I do what I can with covers as I try to develop my recording technique and mixing ears, which at this point tends to leave me without vocals. Thanks for giving it a listen, sorry if it was a bit dull.

Dr Bob
I think you're right about the bass, it takes up a lot of energy in the lower midrange, but I agree it's really indistinct. I did a few tries where I left more of the string attack in, but it's a pretty low-quality freebie sampled bass and its flaws really came out when I did that, so I dulled it down.

I think my main takeaway from all of this is that there's no substitute for real instruments and decent equipment. Money don't grow on trees though, and with me just doing this for a hobby it's hard to justify the outlay of cash.

Thanks again for taking the time to listen
Old 10-09-2015, 10:35 PM   #7
Bubble07

Quote:
Thanks for the comments, guys!

I think my main takeaway from all of this is that there's no substitute for real instruments and decent equipment. Money don't grow on trees though, and with me just doing this for a hobby it's hard to justify the outlay of cash.

Thanks again for taking the time to listen
You sound a little deterred. You shouldn't be. There are totally tons of substitutes for real instruments and decent equipment.

This is a hobby you enjoy I bet and you must've put a lot of work into that track and it really shows on the guitar part, and also the drums are just fine (since otherwise someone would've said).

Don't worry about the equipment issue you just need to decide what your aim is and work towards that. You want to do a straight cover or make the song your own? Straight cover, yes you need to work around longer and put more work into getting the sounds right but it's totally doable.

Personally I would try to make the limitations the strengths and make the song more my own.

You have no bass (just a poorman's free VSTi bass) so why not use a different virtual instrument (Szorfando has some great bass sounds for example; a double bass, get the orchestra and try a Tuba, whatever lol.) and make that sound cool?. Or just use your guitar with loosened strings to add some punch on some of the notes you want to emphasise and use some pitch bending VST to drop it to the correct pitch.

For the vocals I bet you don't sound half as bad as you think you do so give it a try and post it here. You could even use some weird lo-fi FX and double it up, whatever works, play around have fun. How about vocal simulator and have a robot singing it for you: Plogue's Alter/Ego is free and you can strengthen its voice by putting your own underneath (http://www.plogue.com/downloads/)

Or just play the melody in with your guitar and make it the jumping off point for some blistering lead solos?

Seems you have lots of options, would be a shame to wait until you win the lottery before you attempt to do any cover version =)
Bubble07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 08:45 AM   #8
g4greg

yup, once the vocals are in, this song will be very different.

but it sounds fine now... it's just begging for a singer