Old 07-25-2007, 07:24 AM   #1
sharkfin73
Human being with feelings

Default MASTERING TOOLS now included

This is a PM I sent to Justin but thought I'd post it here to see if anyppne else gets what I'm getting at.

Suggetion:

Now that you have ReaXcomp and ReaVerbrate you have the start of some real "Mastering Tools".

I use Ozone 3 $$$ (I bought mine direct a few years ago it was twice what you pay now) it's 64 bit but so is Reaper! Plus Ozone 3 was bought out by M-Audio/ProTools/AVID

http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/ozone/

Ozone's big Marketing thing was pumping up the mix and that final reverb to "varnish" the mix together. They love the word "varnish".

So you ought to start saying Reaper now comes with "MASTERING TOOLS!" Starting with ReaXcomp and ReaVerbrate and more will come soon! ReaXciter! ReaMaximizer! You have the EQ already and I think you have a stereo Imager???

All these items need to be named or grouped as a "Mastering Suite" and hammer home the MASTERING TOOLS/SUITE now included!

Thanks again for all you and these guys have done. I am really enjoying Reaper and the upgrades are enough to keep my head spinning!!

Last edited by sharkfin73; 07-25-2007 at 07:27 AM.
sharkfin73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 07:39 AM   #2
Dstruct

ReaVerbate and "mastering"? mmh, doesn't go together imo. ReaVerb is the one.

who needs such slogans anyway? feature request? you still can create a "mastering" folder yourself. i'm (almost) completely happy with the "Cockos" folder.
Dstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 12:03 PM   #3
qwanta

While I admire the quality of the built-in reaper FX, I'd rather the focus of development remained on the host. There's a lot to do, without being sidetracked into making side tools - tools that already exist from 3rd parties and can easily be integrated into reaper.

I think it's a bad idea to take on something like the development of a fully fledged mastering suite. If you're happy with Ozone, use Ozone!
qwanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 03:03 PM   #4
Tallisman

What Dandruff said.
I like ReaVerbate for some things, but IMHO it is not a mastering tool.

http://tallisman.bandcamp.com <--Me.

"Excuse me. Could you please point me in the direction of the self-help section?"
Tallisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 12:04 PM   #5
quasar333666

I guess it could be considered marketing from one point of view, but I think it would be helpful for some people to have these plug-ins in one place, call it Mastering or whatever.

It's little things like this that make the program easier to use for pros and novices alike.

I never use reverb on my masters either, but I think the OP is referring to the fact that Ozone has it. I'm not sure why Ozone has it...maybe useful for some acoustic music that is recorded a bit dry. Or maybe a throwback from the 80's, when 'verb was the latest in electronic gee-wizardry...
Old 07-27-2007, 12:44 PM   #6
LOSER

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasar333666 View Post
I guess it could be considered marketing from one point of view, but I think it would be helpful for some people to have these plug-ins in one place, call it Mastering or whatever.
[...]
I never use reverb on my masters either
[...]
And this will mainly be the problem, what are "mastering" FX, seriously EVERYTHING can and and rare occasions is used for mastering (no neccesarily modulare FX like chorus, flanger, though).

And as Dandruff mentioned already you can create your own folder, but then on the other hand you could pre-create (on reaper install) folders like "Mixing" and another called "Mastering" and put some of the FX that are used ALWAYS (or in 80% of all cases) when mastering. But it is up to Cockos to decide this.
LOSER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 10:57 AM   #7
sharkfin73

Guess I should have put a ? after that subject and maybe posted in the General area. Sorry.

Ozone 3 was my first and only into to a "mastering" plug-in. So I tend to think that the items that are included in Ozone are "mastering tools".

Also the mastering info and manual that Ozone has on their website goes on at lenth about these tools reverb being a biggie. I ues it all the time to help "place the mix" togther, it seems to work for me. I add to the point that you don't hear it but if you tak it away you go "hey what happened?"

I understand everyone comes from different view points. Mine of a total noob.

Some DAW make a big deal that they have mastering tools. I just thought Reaper should too if it has them. Can't help but feel like I got beat down a bit and took some shots to the ribs LOL!! But hey you guys are the pros here. I'll keep my suggestion to myself from now on and listen more. I'm making it clear I am a noob to recording so next time cut me some slack. I know some of you guys do this for a living.

Thanks for the folder tip I did make one and did find a Harmonic Exciter. As soon as a get a chance I'm gonna try and A/B the Ozone stuff against what Reaper has included.
sharkfin73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 11:35 AM   #8
schwa
Administrator

In my opinion Reaper comes with everything you need to do the highest quality mastering (ears not included). I think it would be a fine thing to include a line in the standard blurb to that effect.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 10:46 AM   #9
psingman

Ok, I have to pipe in here, haha! I am going to tell you what works in recording projects and what doesn't. Ozone doesn't, it uses like tons of ram and even when tweaking makes noises on usage, those with fast dyno computers,please don't reply. Also, reaverbate is way easier to use than reaverb and you can see what's happening. By the way, what is the difference, hope you can reenlighten me. Making an effects track is essential for most songs, for the guitars and the vocals, as it sends the sending tracks to the center of another track, which makes for a nice trio of talent if you use it properly.

I am going to make a long post after my CD party this Saturday about the nuts and bolts of a 2 year Reaper user from a newbieish standpoing, OK< over and out, psongman
psingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 11:13 AM   #10
Valle

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwanta View Post
While I admire the quality of the built-in reaper FX, I'd rather the focus of development remained on the host. There's a lot to do...
I concur...
Old 12-04-2007, 11:17 AM   #11
JasonTheron

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkfin73 View Post
... I'll keep my suggestion to myself from now on and listen more. I'm making it clear I am a noob to recording so next time cut me some slack...
Now don't do that!
That totally defeats the community development mentality that is crucial to making REAPER what it is.
You'll take a hit from time to time but, IMHO, it's worth it.

My Band - http://ischemiacore.com
Till's FR Vote Tracker - http://tillmannn.de/reaper.html -
Underground Music in Southern Oregon - http://www.myspace.com/sohcindustries
JasonTheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 11:28 AM   #12
Tallisman

IMHO, it is sometimes the noobs that bring the best ideas, 'cause their perspectives are not necessarily contaminated by residue from yesterdaw and old, ingrained MOs.

.t

http://tallisman.bandcamp.com <--Me.

"Excuse me. Could you please point me in the direction of the self-help section?"
Tallisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 02:06 PM   #13
S-N-S

i think its a great idea,i could use some mastering tools

S-N-S

www.myspace.com/scandinaviannoizesyndicate

FOR NEWS AND INFO
http://digitalvomit.wikidot.com/scan...oize-syndicate
S-N-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 03:03 PM   #14
mahasandi

You'd be amazed what pro ME's use on projects sometimes.
its not so much a lack of tools , but humbly I'll add, lack of experience that
is the big one in mastering.

The only way to learn is to fail!
(alot).. (quickly)
not to interupt the inspiration just another way to look at this.
mahasandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 04:09 PM   #15
S-N-S

oooops i forgot to put my +1 to thishere you go +1

S-N-S

www.myspace.com/scandinaviannoizesyndicate

FOR NEWS AND INFO
http://digitalvomit.wikidot.com/scan...oize-syndicate
S-N-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:40 PM   #16
NAS

I think the OP has a great point
Splitting some of the plugs that come with Reaper into sepearte folders with usage headers makes great sense especially for newcomers and maybe for old hands too

The vast ammount of plugs that come with are overwhelming and can leave some people so struck they just dont experiment with them at all
If they where seperated into folders of usage that may be helpful
Maybe something the community should be taking on and not a resposibility of Cockos because the vast ammount of users will know more of the usage of each plug

NAS
NAS is offline   Reply With Quote