Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 04-14-2018, 01:45 AM   #1
Jack Winter
Human being with feelings

Default Opensource project to open PT session files

I came across this opensource project to decrypt and parse PT session files: https://github.com/zamaudio/ptformat

The devs are looking for more PT session files to help with developing the software. At the moment they are mostly looking for v10/11/12 and any files that you can send their way would help with debugging and making sure that it works well. Create an issue on github and attach any files you'd like them to test with.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 05:51 AM   #2
airon

Cool. Thanks for the heads up Jack.

AATranslator is the king of going to a from this s@$*, but in the long run we might do well to have an open solution to get at those files. Not everyone knows the AATranslator makers will help you out with a single file or two, as will most AAT users, but I've always felt I don't want to bother folks with getting a free ride.

This project is free from the get go, so I'll send in a couple of test sessions with some simple audio files if it helps.

-edit-
Wow, they're progressed quite a way already. Not sure they even need my sessions any more.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 07:37 AM   #3
Jack Winter

Personally I think having it as opensource can only be good Don't know how well AATranslator works, but like this it's open for everyone and someone that needs more functionality could hack on it and contribute upstream. Could be used to add support to DAWs or to write conversion utilities. Maybe opening PT sessions could even be integrated into reaper itself by extension programmers?

Still think they would appreciate many session files (no need to include audio), just so that they can verify that it works in general and for corner cases. They'd probably also appreciate older sessions at some point to implement v6/7 support too.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Old 04-14-2018, 12:35 PM   #4
serr

+1 for AATranslator
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 02:40 PM   #5
nofish

This one seems to do MIDI too though which AAT doesn't I think.

edit:
Just pointing out. Nothing against AAT. I think it's fantastic work and I use it myself.

Last edited by nofish; 04-14-2018 at 02:54 PM.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 07:11 AM   #6
hopi

so ...nice project... but I've been with AAT from day one [almost] and there is nothing else like it cuz it does so many formats...

yet I wonder if Mike is aware of this project... especially since it seems to deal with MIDI as well... and that could be a great thing to have!
Old 04-15-2018, 07:25 AM   #7
Jack Winter

Still please send session files upstream so that they can check that they got things right.. And it being open source makes it possible to add more stuff, like maybe support for automation, integrating it into reaper extensions, etc..?
Old 04-15-2018, 07:35 AM   #8
Runaway

Thanks Hopi - yes I've been aware of it pretty much since day one and I wish them well.

MixBus has had this option in beta for many months and Hindenburg announced a PT import at NAB (why anyone would go from PT to mix in Hindenburg is anyone's guess)

While we keep an eye on all sorts of developments in this area we don't necessarily react but rather continue to pursue a course of improving and expanding upon all formats that we support as well as continuing to provide the best and most prompt support possible.

As to midi from PT, sure it's something we could do (and may be we will) but right now in the scheme of things we have other priorities as we move towards our next release.